Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Printing legendary creatures is also for Commander, because commander players are completely insane and very stupid.

This includes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggdrasilTM posted:

A lot of people are complaining for the 2 gideon, 2 chandra and 3 nissa, but this is just an effect of the changed rotation, right? without that , we would have 1 Gideon, 1 Chandra and 2 Nissa. (No, I will NOT count the dumb "not really for play" intro deck planeswalkers).

Origins has only the five gatewatch members as PW cards.
BFZ has Gideon, Thassa, Bobby Nixon, Chandra, and Nissa. 3 GW, 2 not. Well okay they're founding the group so they need a lot of them.
SOI has Jace, Sorin, Nahiri, Arlinn, Liliana and Tamiyo. 2 GW, 4 not. This block had a shitton of planeswalkers and the two gatewatch members are the ones not in battle so it's fine.
KLD has Chandra, Nissa, Dovin, Ajani, and Tezz. 2 GW, 2 not, one joins. This is where things get suspicious as it has been only two sets since OGW, but the group is expanding past the characters in Origins and it needs to represent the villains so I gu-
just Amcocknet has Gideon, Liliana, and Nissa. Hold on, these are just gatewatch members! Nissa was in Kaladesh! Liliana was in the set before that! AFAIK there isn't a story thing where the place has no walkers. What gives?

It doesn't help that the gatewatch is kinda shoehorned into specific mechanical niches most of the time, for sake of character. Gideon has to turn into a human soldier creature until end of turn. Liliana makes things die and/or zombies. Chandra is dealing damage to something. While they experiment a little it means the mono-color 'walkers are usually exploring the same aspects of that color. Think about Ashiok vs. Tezzeret, how Ashiok deals with the exile zone and Tezz is the artifact guy, despite both being UB planeswalkers. Or how Venser does teleporting to flicker and make things unblockable, but Dovin Baan has WU's defensive grind going for it. But the last 4 mono-white planeswalkers have all had the ability to become a human soldier creature because they're all Gideon.

It's not just Standard numbers, it's that Liliana doesn't do the same things as Bobby Nixon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

I'm saying it's not playable. LSV and Marshall had it at C and C- (I forget who had what grade), i think it's D level. Though I would side it in if i'm up against a bunch of x/1s or otherwise extremely aggro deck and need breathing room.

Combat Celebrant, Vizier of Remedies, and Initiate's Companion are the only X/1 it does anything to. The others fly, revive, or have exert or dies triggers that make blocking them with a 1/1 not work.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What if they got around the reserved list by removing it, given that no one who qualitatively exists supports it?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Isn't the Reserved List basically admitting the secondary market exists and the cards have monetary value, unlike everything else they try to do to dissociate the game with gambling?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

I don't think you understand what gambling means.

It's an association WoTC has been avoiding, despite the packs containing random cards and players shuffling decks of cards to randomize them before playing for large amounts of money.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

Christopher Moeller will be missed (he's retiring from Magic).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLccZ5Cu3w8

His artworks were always standouts (okay, usually) especially in modern sets.

His art includes as high of points as Zealous Persecution and Isamaru, Hound of Konda, and as low of points as Strength of the Tarjuru and Vampire's Bite, encompassing the best and worst of Magic art.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Star Man posted:

Because instead of stuffing a loaded weapon into mouth and pulling the trigger, I'm spending my time misreading posts on the internet.

You should play a fun game like Magic: The Gathering.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'm glad Heckbent is catching on as slang for 1-or-fewer cards in hand.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Quick rules question on cycling. So, some cards say "When X is cycled, do Y." Does the "Do Y" happen before or after the card is drawn? Here's the rules text I found that gives me pause:

This implies to me that the "Do Y" happens before I draw the card. For example, suppose I cycle Shefet Monitor. I *think* the correct sequence of events is this following:

1. Pay the cycling cost
2. Shefet Monitor hits the bin
3. Search for a land happens
4. You shuffle your library
5. You draw a card

Is that right?

Right. The ability triggers on cycling being activated and put on the stack, and is thus put on the stack above it and resolves first. Whatever triggers off of cycling will resolve before cycling's own Draw A Card.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

The thread title still not being I CAST MOUTH is a huge disappointment smh

Change the title so I can have had one positive contribution to the thread.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah it makes a lot more sense to ban the card that other decks use and nobody ever whines about in those decks and which was fine for years before a certain garbage mechanic was printed and not the card that makes it so control decks' traditionally bad matchups aren't actually bad matchups for the deck.

Top isn't that, it's an abomination of sin that should never see the light of day. That it was reprinted in eternal masters instead of being sent into the desert to die should be investigated & prosecuted like a first degree murder imo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'd rather Control be dead than let Divining Top live, and I wish they'd ban it from Vintage for logistics reasons too.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

There DEFINITELY is a cabal of Legacy-only players that play no other Magic other than Legacy.

Shame that Wizards just cannot print cards for them, because Wizards said Wizards cannot.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The wording on attacking exert guys is "you may exert [CARDNAME] as it attacks." The decision is made as it attacks, and it is not a trigger the opponent may respond to. By the opponent has priority, all the triggered abilities are on the stack and the creatures don't untap next turn.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Counterbalance and top are the only expensive cards in miracles that got owned by Top's ban. A Force is a Force regardless of list.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Glorybringer isn't made for this Archangel Avacyn world...

But it can kill Avacyn when it attacks! :buddy:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
No matter how many ellipses mcmagic uses I'd never do something as dastardly as giving him an avatar that links to a lovely forum for people too bad at posting for gbs.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Top should always be banned for reasons beyond power level.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sit on my Facebook posted:

Nah, wait for 4cSaheeli to be packing Magma Spray and Manglehorn and we'll see how well Mardu chugs

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mfcrocker posted:

then my Legacy deck got banned :v:

TBH the Top ban is the best choice they've made since the last time they banned Top.

Are card games a zero-sum game where your fun must come exclusively from draining others of their fun?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jenx posted:

Wait, yeah! They have people like her working for them right? Then what the hell is their excuse? "Ah yes! We are going to hire this person, because she is really good at the game and then not listen to a word she says! Brilliant! Now, let's print another loving Gideon!"

Because they value the counsel of Wiseman more than any of their other employees.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

I think that's a Honed Khopesh.

drat, a Leonin Scimitar functional reprint is pretty good but not that good.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

If you have unspent mana at the end of a phase or step, nothing happens. It just goes away. Add eight green, spend six of it on Ulvenwald Hydra, you don't lose two life. It just disappears.

It's opened up a bit of design space now that you can't essentially pay X to reduce your own life total by X anymore.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The three gods will be that demon Liliana is after, Storm Crow, and 1996 World Champion.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

It shows you how dumb magic players are that that awful Gideon deck is actually having an impact on card prices. Guys... Saffron Olive decks are NEVER good.

I assume you mean morally never good, because the guy makes wacky brews that people assume are far better than they actually are which creates an upward force on prices and they never go down due to cards' persistent price memory.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I am incredibly upset about one person posting his Magic: The Gathering related writing in this thread; let's go back to speculating on the marital lives of people who play Magic.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggdrasilTM posted:

Mardu is the Abzan of current standard.

A deck that will be claimed to be far more degenerate than it actually was, a deck that will be fondly remembered when people start complaining about the next standard, or both?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Are Loyal Retainers, Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal, and Loyal Retainers not on MTGO or something?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The absence of Grim Monolith, Ancient Tomb, Chrome Mox, and Mox Diamond make me uncomfortable w/r/t blowout leads, too.

Oloro is the uncontested best deck by a pretty wide margin.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

80s James Hetfield posted:

Now they just banned a bunch of things for what they consider "oppressive game play" (Sol Ring lol) while ignoring way more dumb and oppressive poo poo like Cyclonic Rift and a bunch of other poo poo that people can name off the top of their head faster than me

This is a 1v1 focused list, you know.

You know.

Seriously is there a place where I can see what cards aren't on MTGO, I am seriously confused about not banning Vampiric Tutor/Imperial Seal.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Attorney at Funk posted:

They're both on MTGO, I've seen them in Vintage lists. I assume that a big part of it is they're both way cheaper online than in paper and tutoring is way less of a hassle with instant shuffling and the ability to see your entire deck at a glance.

They're also literally the most powerful tutors and a gigantic push towards black commanders that others can't match.

And there's two.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tales of Woe posted:

Pretty sure Demonic Tutor is more powerful than those.

Costing 1 is huge, and Vampiric Tutor's instant speed is even huger.

Demonic is 3rd, maybe 4th behind Mystical.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

Demonic Tutor puts the card in your hand immediately and doesn't cost you any cards.

It's better than Vampiric.

I still disagree, but in a sense it's all academic.

Oloro still has all three, and Mystical Tutor. Hard to state how favored he is in the format as-is. Breya too. I hope you like Esper!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Oh snap, I forgot Tasigur and Vial Smasher are legal in this, with Cruise and Dig.

There's reasons to play nonwhite decks, but no reason to not play UBx.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

En Fuego posted:

Leovold not being banned is stupid, but also means I can run a wheel effect deck with elves tribal AND paradox engine! YAY

Can you handle Oloro with a bunch of wraths and counterspells trying to reanimate Elesh Norn asap (which is pretty sap), Vial/Karum's ability to kill you with Force, Tasigur surviving -x/-x board wipes your guys don't, and Titania loaming Strip Mine to beat you with 5/3s?

Because Leovold is being kinda dwarfed by significantly more hosed up things.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

That seemed like a hilariously big oversight. Glad I only play in-person paper EDH, prophet is stupidly op.

It's fine in 1v1 where it does its job, but it's a huge investment of mana to lose if it gets beaned quickly.

Why use one list for 1v1 and MP?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Veyrall posted:

Then she mind-controls him and forces him to leave, because that's totally something Black can do as a color.

It's not common, and two of the four times they explored this effect were the card Mindslaver, but when it's not Mindslaver it's on a black card.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Revolt's an ability word, at that, so it's not a goofy rear end keyword like Fabricate or Annihilator. The Revolt — could be removed and the card would be functionally identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah but how often have they done ability word reprints without the ability word?

Never, and that's why we're doomed.