Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

My point is, I think you're asking for more than they're capable of producing with the available staff and resources. Magic story has never been good when tied to a set because a Magic set isn't a good way to tell a linear story. When the story stuff has to act in service of that it, it's going to struggle.

This is only a problem if you think of those as something more than world building flavor. I look back at sets like Antiquities and The Dark that hint at really interesting backstories and those are much more compelling and interesting than the more concrete, story-focused approaches we get now. I don't need a story to mention or touch on every character shown on a card. It's OK to just have cards that show us cool things in the world of the set. Sometimes (most of the times), less is more.

Wait, Ashiok is a dude?

Ashiok isn't male or female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

InterrupterJones posted:

You underestimate this thread's abilities.

There's an iOS game? I hesitantly ask, is it any good?

The iOS game is magic duels and it plays like the PC version.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I went to a prerelease today and had a great time. My deck was very good but I still enjoyed playing it,I went with GR exert creatures and only on leave one match and got a bye so my record was 2-2. A friend I went with won the event with BW and a can't lose Gideon. I really like this limited format and I have a lot to learn. It was only my second ever limited event, I hope the standard ends up being good, if not I'll prolly do some drafts on mtgo.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Star Man posted:

I went 1-2 in a prerelease because nine mountains in your deck means you will never, ever have the two mountains available to cast Glorybringer and Sweltering Sands.

I played with 10 mountains and got to cast my glorybringer in all 3 games that I drew him, you were one mountain short.

My deck also sucked though and I lost a lot of games to people on BW, I really think BW was the best in sealed at my LGS, the match I won was GW. The black trial was really good if you had cartouches to bounce it back to you hand. The top 8 there was almost all BW decks and my friends BW deck won the event.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

Oh thank god. I'm sold. What's the best inner sleeve for 'em?

Weird. I checked your blog a couple days ago for the first time in ages curious if you were still writing. Seemed like a no, especially since I don't care about LoL, but here you are.

The best inner sleeve is the side loading one from ultimate guard. I used perfect fit for a long time and a friend bought the side loading sleeves and they make double sleeving so much easier it's amazing.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Bart Fargo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ov8Q-ZaD5c&t=331s

I don't know how worried you are about water damage, etc. but the side-loaders aren't that great at protection. This covers both Ultra Pro and Ultimate Guard.

That's a good point, my only expensive deck is currently in dragon shield smoke perfect fits and apple green matte sleeves so it's protected.

I haven't switched to the side loaders yet, just played with them at my friends and watched him pull every rare he had out of a binder (in side loaders in the binder) and sleeve super fast and I thought it looked great and they felt nice. We also don't play with liquid at the table though so spills aren't a big issue, scuffing from going in and out of a binder and into decks is most of the wear and the side loaders looked great for that. I was planning on switching to sideloaders if I got back into standard but that might not happen now anyway with cat being around. I do think they're good for keeping your cards from getting beaten up though.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Siivola posted:

So hey how long should I sit on my Glorybringer and Rhonas before flipping them for store credit?

At least wait until Monday, those cards should get camera time hype on Saturday and Sunday. If you can wait longer go until PT and hope they get into a good deck.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

moush posted:

so did you just sneak in a luggage scale and use it?

You can take it to the produce area and use the scale. You can also get old archenemy decks so that sounds cool.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

He's also consistently just not very good at magic, and the combination of the two sometimes makes me wonder why people give him the time of day, until I realize what most of us are like (exactly like him).

He is very entertaining and his budget deck series is fun to play casually. No one watches him for high level play, they do it because it's fun.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

As I said, I was pretty anal about my cards.

That is a very pretty card.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

ffs dont rip up your cards when goons troll saying "Rip test?"

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Least healthy blood drive of all time.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I added 4 flings and a couple manticore flingers and 2 dispels to my pummeler deck on mtgo and did 40 dmg in a turn so that was fun.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

This is how the Pummeler deck wins now, it's delightful.

I didn't want to put a lot of money into standard so I will be playing this mostly I think. It is a lot of fun when it goes off.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

A guy I know built a silly pummeler deck that runs this jerk as an alternate wincon:

Along with Pia's Revolution, Ornithopters, Flings, the Manticores, it's actually really funny that they would print a bunch of artifact recursion, Ornithopters, Not-Spellbombs, an Atog, and loving Fling all in the same format.

That's awesome, if GR fling isn't as good as I want I may try that, or blue red pummeler with fling.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Siivola posted:

So wait, there's reasonably competitive mono-black, blue and maybe even red decks going around right now?

Is Standard like this after every new set?

Before PT and not having any broken decks that stay in rotation it's a lot like this. The first couple of weeks of standard are awesome. If emrakul or cat combo were still around standard would be all people working on those decks and we would see a lot less new ideas going around.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

AceClown posted:

Just pay Pat and Ced a poo poo ton of money to cover every event ever and never look back

That would be awesome, I also like hearing LSV and Pat Chapin too but Pat and acedric are the best in the game in my opinion.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

there's like 2 in ohio that's not a big drive

course i drove halfway across the us within 2 days so i might not be the best judge

None of us want to drive to Ohio, all of us from the states around Ohio only travel there for Cedar Point, no exceptions!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mailorder bees! posted:

Finished getting my set of Terese Neilsen judge basic lands signed. I'm so excited!

She's a great artist, that's very cool.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Ein Sexmonster posted:

If you have amazon prime, linking your twitch and amazon accounts will stop ads.

Being a prime member owns, I haven't seen an ad since they let us start doing this.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

They are going to be cheaper most of the time and it will make up for the 20 less sleeves. I don't dislike getting sleeves in 100, but unless you are buying sleeves in bulk or are set on a certain color, generally getting 100 ds sleeves means you just have 75 dirty sleeves and 25 clean sleeves eventually. The ultra pro double sleeve a little easier but come in less colors. The DS sleeves also have an issue with not being tournament playable with double sided cards in certain colors which the ultra pros are all will pass.

I bought the tinted back DS smoke perfect fits and they make the back of the lighter colors fully opaque (they were expensive for perfect fits though so I'm not sure they are worth it).

The eclipse sleeves are great, I may buy a full box of them next time I need sleeves. How easy do the backs mark up? I like how soft they feel and how they suffle I am just curious about if they mark up.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Tortilla Maker posted:

For someone getting reintroduced to Magic after 15 years, would you guys generally recommend a specific format to get back into?

Standard would have the smaller card pool to keep track of; Legacy offers up the chance to play the old cards I'm familiar with but has 15 years worth of new cards; and Modern is somewhere in the middle.

Seems like everyone at my LGS was playing with dual lands at a Legacy event. Seems like a pricey format but does the constant rotation of Standard make the costs comparable?

I started up again at the beginning of last year and wish I bought into modern right away instead of standard. I'd recommend playing modern, if you really want to play standard play a budget deck, very few of your cards in standard will keep value after a few sets.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I can live with that I just except that. It's skipping back like 2 seconds every 30 or so seconds. It's completely unwatchable.

#BanUlamog

I'm having the same issue with PS4 twitch app today with the skipping back 2 secs every 30 seconds. I don't have the issue with lovely ads though because prime owns, but that means I get to see the same two slides over and over.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Lol wow, Efro and Fennell sure are enjoying the feature match area today.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

His personality matches, trust me.

I do trust you, I've heard others say the same thing.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

80s James Hetfield posted:

Did WOTC make Gerry cover up his SCG shirt?

No

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Subways Jared posted:

Well between going from the Edit Deck page, to the overview, and finally to saving the copy I edited, I go through 4 different page reloads. And when I only need to change 1 or 2 cards, thats a pain in the rear end. It's not very visual either, unless you specifically go to that overview tab.

The best one I've used is actually DeckedBuilder app on my phone. Very visual, awesome filters, easy to edit decks and auto-save etc. I just don't want to be doing this on my phone, I want to use my laptop.

You could try tappedout but I think deckstats is better.

TwistedNails fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 17, 2017

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

Was he on Aluren or was he on that terrible mono red deck he was scrubbing out of tournaments with months ago?

b/w stoneblade

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

Is he still on his "I refuse to play brainstorm / force / blue cards" trip?

I have no idea because he is super hateable, I only knew his deck because he was on camera.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

LSV, Caleb D., and Shaun McLaren all know how to laugh it off and have fun when they stream it makes them very likable and fun to watch. Jeff is so thin skinned it's crazy to me that he even tries doing the public figure twitch streaming thing, he can't take any criticism or trolling.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Baugh should concede that game to let the other team into day 2. He was done and locked out.

Agreed, he was done.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

That was horrible.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

Not as horrible as the one non-green land keep in the finals and not drawing another land

I switched back to the scg stream after the semifinals, who did that?

Edit: Nvm I switched back and hes going to lose the finals without casting a spell. lmao

TwistedNails fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 21, 2017

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Walked posted:

Yeah; I've been hugely active on MTGO since the release of Amonkhet. It's super good but has weak spots too. It's really not so great against UR/x decks in my test

But the deck is good. Hit me up if you want to chat about it.

I have a lot of the cards but I'm never buying Noble's, would avacyn's pilgrim work in that spot or would something else be better?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Entropic posted:

Birds of Paradise comes closest to being a budget replacement option, but Exalted ends up mattering way more often than you'd think.

I was planning on running 4 birds already because it makes black mana which this deck needs, I figured the 2 nobles were for the mana more than the trigger.

Walked posted:

To be honest; yeah. It'd be fine. Exalted is nice; but not generally making the difference in all but the GRINDIEST of games. If we were playing a more midrange gameplan it'd be different, but we're aiming to combo so Exalted means less than average.

Your curve in a goldfish scenario is:
T2 Druid
T3 Vizier ---> Chord or CoCo / Other Mana sink

The only piece that Noble is helpful for is a T2-3 Chord or Company, and any mana dork will do that decently enough.

Noble is preferred, but minor all said.

Thank you! This deck looks like a lot of fun, I currently play the GW CoCo/Chord elf deck and I really enjoy combo.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Molybdenum posted:

I was very annoyed when Deion Sanders tried out for the Raiders and got a spot on the starting lineup without having ground his way up in high school and college football like I did and furthermore

Edit: poo poo I think it was Bo Jackson that was baseball first and football second, I think Deion was the other way around

Bo Jackson won the Hiesman trophy in college football at Auburn and was the overall first pick in the NFL draft.

He was an all-star in both the NFL and MLB.

Deion was awesome in college amd NFL football and decent at baseball.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Also I hope this Amaz guy wins the PT, it would be great. What would really make it great would be if he bumped a pro from top 8 not going to a draw with them in the last round, the whining would be amazing.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

80s James Hetfield posted:

What card was a fake and how did they find out?

BTW, isn't there an SCG Open today? They're showing last weeks team event

There is an SCG Open today but coverage won't be ready until the second round.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Anyone have Martin Juza's list of elves + vizier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

How does this work? The druid's ability 'sees" the counter and triggers but the vizier's ability keeps the counter from landing? What's the kill mechanism?

Chord for Ezuri and pump the druid a million times and win with trample damage.