Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Runaway Steam-Kin in multiples combined with Experimental Frenzy in mono-red is my new favorite thing to do. Even better is doing it after the opponent settles the wreckage. My current record is 22 casts in a turn and I only hit it because I kept bolting my own creatures to keep from killing the opponent.

I'm pretty sure Runaway Steam-Kin is my favorite new card. It enables so many disgusting openers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

A Moose posted:

Literally nothing can beat an experimental frenzy if you don't destroy it within the first turn of it being active. I somehow failed to draw enchantment removal in my top 20 cards and holy poo poo. Literally nothing can stop it. By the time you blink they have 3 steamkins and 2 more frenzys and then all your enchantment removal is useless.

Confirmed. The only times Frenzy doesn't just straight up win the game for me in short order involves 4-5 mountains stacked on top of eachother.

I can't help but wonder if there isn't some sort of fastbond combo in legacy with frenzy. The card is absurd in mono-red aggro in standard, so a format with fast mana and ways to cheat out lands or manipulate the top card seems like it should break the card completely.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Rinkles posted:

Wait, that's seeing play?

Yepp

I run a 2/2 split between it and Flames of Keld in my mono-red build on MtG:A and every time I draw flames of keld I keep wishing it was Frenzy instead.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

fadam posted:

The Golgari mirror is a terrific way to spend an hour and a half.

Almost as riveting as two active Teferi ults.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Apparently there were no judges at the venue, so he had to cheat. Just had to.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

TheMaestroso posted:

What does this say? It told me the guy's tweets are "protected," so I can't see it.

Oh, he restricted his profile.

It was three tweets, one about how he admitted he did it, another about how he dropped the Stomping Ground into graveyard earlier in the game and because there was no judge, he decided to fix it himself without telling anyone. The last one was a woe is me declaration about how he surely wouldn't do it again. I imagine the twitter posts went up before the second twitch cut of him cheating went viral.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

The cheaters tweets. The second one is magic.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
As a Mono-red player, I pray for a Settle the Wreckage whenever I play teferi control. Attack, get settled, slam down Frenzy and laugh as you play 5 cards a turn in perpetuity. Card is good.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
The biggest issue I have with MtGA is the fact that all rares are considered equal, which blows for brewing and loving around with weird buildarounds, as they are almost all rare. A deck that in paper or MtGO would cost 5 bucks will cost the same as a competitive standard deck, if not more on MtGA in terms of wildcards. Even if you whale it out and drop oodles of cash, the amount of money you need to drop to have a full selection of cards is completely insane.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

moush posted:

It's also a good thing because then I'm not dropping $50 on a single Teferi. The problem is just the rate of wildcard acquisition, which they have said they want to fix. They're still being way too stingy in the grand scheme of things but I wonder if Arena is doing well enough for them to ignore the complaints.

You're not dropping 50 on a teferi, but if you want a complete play set of cards excluding mythics, the difference is staggering. Between the wildcard rate and the fact that 5th copies are worthless(currently, getting a 5th copy of a mythic gets you an 80th of the way to getting 1 mythic wildcard and 2 rare wildcards), they are actively discouraging whales from buying poo poo. The more cards you have, the less you get out of each new pack.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Lone Goat posted:

I love how people think that a game that has been out of closed beta for three loving weeks should be 100% feature complete.

Just because a developer calls something beta, doesn't mean it is. You don't pump poo poo tons of money into advertising the release of a beta product unless you consider it feature complete and ready for the public. And at that point, it isn't really a beta anymore. This idea that because a developer says something is in beta we need to cut them slack is retarded as poo poo. It's not as if this is a low budget kickstarter game that they needed to push prematurely out to generate enough revenue to keep development going.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

GrandpaPants posted:

What're people's formulas for how many mana sources they add for splashing in limited? I realize this depends a lot on how many cards you're splashing and how mana intensive your main colors are, but I'm curious.

Also goddamn, mana screw/flood angers me in a way nothing else can.

A source per symbol roughly. It depends on how many cards I'm splashing and how impactful they are. If I'm splashing the bombiest bomb, I want to ensure I can cast it every time I draw it every game. On the other hand, if I'm only splashing okay removal and I have removal in my own colors, I'm less likely to go overboard. It also depends on fixing for your main colors. If I have dual sources for my main colors, I can go up on basics for my splash. Lastly, it depends on the format and how fast it is. Any super aggressive format punishes splashing super hard, and so I would need a lot of free sources before I do it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are people really bad in competitive constructed, I feel like I’m rolling a lot of games right now

Yes. The difference between people who have played magic prior to MtGA and people who started with MtGA is huge. I'm rolling monored and the number of games I win off of people cracking back with more creatures than they need to be swinging with is huge. Or countering my EoT burn, letting me drop Frenzy on my turn. And so on and so on. They go online and netdeck, so they have solid decks, but the sheer number of playerrors against me lets me rock a 78% competitive constructed winrate since open beta started and I'm not particularly good at magic.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

chefscientist posted:

I think Arena hates me; I have 4 copies of Chance for Glory.

Time to play perfect storm+lich's mastery.dek.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know if it's a consequence of MTGA's deck/rarity algorithm or just how prolific the deck is, but I feel like whenever I play monored, I play against mostly monored decks.

Monored decks are incidentally a lot of fun!

Monored mirrors are the ultimate game of chicken, especially with the range of builds currently running about.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Putting Risk Factor in a control deck is usually worse than just throwing in a land. Would you pay 4 life to have your opponent discard a card in a control mirror?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
His twitch chat will be the most magic thing ever.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Tezzeret did nothing wrong

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtXuBN1Hvc

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
E-witness

(bad)Man land.

Sigarda

Balefire Dragon.

dot dot dot

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Semen. Everywhere. The curves on that tomb.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Dayum, dat snapcaster mage so fugly compared dat swank urborg.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

mandatory lesbian posted:

its very hard to do that on turn two, which is a a mere piece of the puzzle that is figuring out all the ways hymn would friggin suck to have reprinted in standard

Imma keep this two lander. Yay, I draw a land. Yay, I got my other two lands discarded by hymn.

Compelling gameplay.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

suicidesteve posted:

38 Teferis is too many for a top 8 imho.

Mono-red is too strong.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Homelands is where the heart is

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
2 mana gently caress you already exists in modern. Mana leak, Remand etc.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

moush posted:

Are the box toppers inside the wrapped boxes or are they given to LGS's to hand out with purchases? It seems like you can pretty reliably see their contents with a bright enough light. The guy in this video claims he did it in a dark room, but isn't shown on video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7gkq1LZ2FU

They're inside the box supposedly.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Most non-rares are worthless. Not of low value, but of no value. Depending on exactly what time period your cards are from and what specific cards you have, you might have some worth something, but standard legal commons and (most)uncommons are usually given out for free by most players once they have a playset. They just take up space. So trading for them should be easy, while trading them away is harder, barring specific cards that hold value

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
That Phoenix game for Seth and then the White Weenie draw in the final game. Backbreaking.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Cactrot posted:

I really dislike the way they break some of this down. What is the difference between Red-White aggro and Boros Aggro?

One is Red-White, the other is White-Red, presumably.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Angry Grimace posted:

If you went by GoonLogic, you would believe Draw-Go decks have a 100% win-rate.

It does, provided you're playing the control deck that is built specifically against the part of the field the opponents deck falls in. In every match. Even if the field is super wide.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
The biggest problem with Warboss is the mana cost and how that relates to Experimental Frenzy. With Chainwhirler single handedly winning a lot of match-ups, the 3 drop slot is filled. Warboss wins many of the same match-ups that Frenzy wins, but to a lesser degree, being a creature. Warboss is way better in Boros, because they both play more 3 drops and can't play Chainwhirler.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Something something of the Fishy Region was one I saw. How horrible, how could we expose our youth to such filth.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Golgari is too strong gaise.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Disinformation Wreckage :swoon:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
That loving token grab. LSV :swoon:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
LSV casually pointing out that he's playing an arena precon.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

GrandpaPants posted:

What was the bluff for those that missed it?

He had Adanto out with three lands and a 1 of Settle the Wreckage in hand. Casually grabs the vampire soldier token as his opponent is lining up attacks.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Double History is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile