Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

"Boros Aggro" is probably mentor-based, whereas "r/w aggro" is just good r/w cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

How does Jeskai Control lose against this field lmao

Doesn't get paired against Golgari and Boros decks enough. It's definitely not favored vs Phoenix decks. Also this standard format has shifted so much I honestly don't know if the current mono red decks beat Jeskai or not.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The R/W one is basically mono-white splashing Heroic Reinforcements, while the Boros one could be the Mentor deck with a lot of gold cards.

Skyl3lazer posted:

It seems hard to build a Jeskai deck that has a good matchup against all of the top decks at once. Maybe someone's found the perfect build but there's a lot of pitfalls you could fall into if you misjudged the meta.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

It doesn't look great for Jeskai to me? Jeskai's aggro matchup isn't the greatest unless it's sacrificing part of it's gameplan against G/B, Phoenixes, and other control decks.

Skyl3lazer posted:

"Boros Aggro" is probably mentor-based, whereas "r/w aggro" is just good r/w cards.

Boros aggro may be at least slightly mentor based, but r/w aggro is probably white weenie + Heroic Reinforcements.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

I'm of the opinion the phoenix decks are the best decks and whoever gets the build right should take down standard.

Same, deck is just crazy powerful and it has the best card selection in the format

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Doesn't get paired against Golgari and Boros decks enough. It's definitely not favored vs Phoenix decks. Also this standard format has shifted so much I honestly don't know if the current mono red decks beat Jeskai or not.

Eli Kassis's build from the GP with -1 shock +1 seal away is pretty great vs. phoenix and pretty even or slightly favored vs. red but not good against ww.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Skyl3lazer posted:

If you went by GoonLogic, you would believe Draw-Go decks have a 100% win-rate.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It seems hard to build a Jeskai deck that has a good matchup against all of the top decks at once. Maybe someone's found the perfect build but there's a lot of pitfalls you could fall into if you misjudged the meta.

There's a huge tension between playing Seal Away to deal with Adanto/Phoenix decks, and how absolutely awful it is vs Golgari which has a ton of explore creatures and planeswalkers to blow them up.

I actually think the midrange Jeskai lists playing history of benialia, some counterspells, some removal, and the best threats in the format with Teferi are better than the control decks, especially post board.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Angry Grimace posted:

It does, provided you're playing the control deck that is built specifically against the part of the field the opponents deck falls in. In every match. Even if the field is super wide.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Angry Grimace posted:

Jeskai is not draw-go in this format really. It closes games really fast.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Pro tour breakdown:

Is this the most diverse standard metagame since Shadows? Combine the two Jeskai decks, and also combine Red-White Aggro and Boros Aggro because come the gently caress on, and you've got two archetypes at around 20% and three at around 12% which isn't bad.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cynic Jester posted:

It does, provided you're playing the control deck that is built specifically against the part of the field the opponents deck falls in. In every match. Even if the field is super wide.

Or if you're playing the Ultimate Goon Jack-Off Deck: that boring as gently caress draw-go Ivan Floch played in a Pro Tour 7 years ago because it was so cool how he countered poeple's poo poo and then drew cards like every other draw-go deck that has existed since the antediluvian times (because no no, see, this time he also gained life when he cast his draw cards spell).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Angry grimace is the reason why counterspell won't be reprinted in a standard set

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Is this the most diverse standard metagame since Shadows? Combine the two Jeskai decks, and also combine Red-White Aggro and Boros Aggro because come the gently caress on, and you've got two archetypes at around 20% and three at around 12% which isn't bad.

There's also a ton of diversity within the major archetypes. You aren't going to see someone bring the same 75 from the PT to a GP a month later like last season.

If you ignore Teferi, the power level of standard is really flat, power wise. There's not a list of the top 5-6 cards like Hazoret, The Scarab God, Rekindling Phoenix and Chandra which are just massively more powerful than anything else you could be doing. It also helps that colors other than red have good cards.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 9, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hellsau posted:

The two RW aggro decks are actually very different from each other, they're just misnamed.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

There's also a ton of diversity within the major archetypes. You aren't going to see someone bring the same 75 from the PT to a GP a month later like last season.

When RB won the PT, and then the next week someone with the exact same maindeck won the GP, that was the first time that had ever happened. Chainwhirler was real dumb.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Angry Grimace posted:

Jeskai has a problem with mono red and mono blue but go off king

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Angry grimace is the reason why counterspell won't be reprinted in a standard set

That's fixable.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hellsau posted:

The Jeskai decks shouldn't be combined, they play very different. And if Boros Aggro is what I think it is, it's pretty different from Red-White which should be combined with White Weenie if anything. So it's more diverse than that, even.

Before seeing the results, this looks as healthy as any format in Magic history. There are established top decks to target, decks trying to attack them, a moving metagame from week to week, a long tail of potentially viable deck options, and many different builds of each deck.

Here's to hoping that UWx control and/or Jundwhirler don't gently caress it up next set.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Here's to hoping that UWx control and/or Jundwhirler don't gently caress it up next set.

This is my #1 worry about the next set, specifically UW/x.

I'm also interested to see if anyone managed to figure out how to make Legion Warboss good. It's that weird card that comes around every set that people agree is powerful but nobody can use successfully at first.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Red getting two aggro guilds in the next set to go with Chainwhirler and friends is mildly terrifying, to be honest.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

It should be reprinted and then a six month ban for casting it

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm also interested to see if anyone managed to figure out how to make Legion Warboss good. It's that weird card that comes around every set that people agree is powerful but nobody can use successfully at first.

It's fine but not super powerful I think. People overestimated it because of Rabblemaster, but it's much harder to attack with. Both take over on an empty board, but if the red player kills a couple things to clear the way before the opponent drops something they can't remove, Warboss gets shut down while Rabblemaster trades up. I don't think people realized how big a difference that was until they played with it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

This was my exact question, but I'm also not sure what the difference is between Boros aggro vs. Boros angels?

Angels is basically a midrange deck, not an aggro deck.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Red getting two aggro guilds in the next set to go with Chainwhirler and friends is mildly terrifying, to be honest.

Midrange is much scarier I think. Chainwhirler plaguewinds + Rekindling Phoenixes + Find it them back or Finality clear the board seems like it would completely dominate most aggro and midrange matchups.

Though aggro-midrange curving into Experimental Frenzy + Doom Whisperer also seems incredibly sweet.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Though aggro-midrange curving into Experimental Frenzy + Doom Whisperer also seems incredibly sweet.

Yeah if there's one thing a Frenzy deck wants it's 5 drops

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Well, Warboss looked great there when GB couldn't find it's second black source. It does put more tension on how GB needs to side - the answers to Etienne's go big sb plan are pretty poor if R stays on Warboss. I'm not sure if R can reasonably keep them in, though.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The biggest problem with Warboss is the mana cost and how that relates to Experimental Frenzy. With Chainwhirler single handedly winning a lot of match-ups, the 3 drop slot is filled. Warboss wins many of the same match-ups that Frenzy wins, but to a lesser degree, being a creature. Warboss is way better in Boros, because they both play more 3 drops and can't play Chainwhirler.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Like Thief of Sanity, I feel that Warboss is one of those cards that's good if there isn't an answer for it but more often than not it just eats a removal or gets caught in a wipe. Unfortunately, 2 toughness makes for a lot of easy answers to it. I learned that the best time to play Thief isn't on Turn 3, but after, e.g., monored runs out of gas or Golgari uses up their chups and trophies, but that's not really practical for an aggressive creature like Warboss.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 9, 2018

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah if there's one thing a Frenzy deck wants it's 5 drops

Frenzy is fine with 5 drops, particularly ones that both increase the chances of finding Frenzy and overall increase the # of spells played by Frenzy per turn. The bigger problem is that it's pretty likely that Doom Whisperer isn't going to be remotely playable.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GrandpaPants posted:

Like Thief of Sanity, I feel that Warboss is one of those cards that's good if there isn't an answer for it but more often than not it just eats a removal or gets caught in a wipe. Unfortunately, 2 toughness makes for a lot of easy answers to it. I learned that the best time to play Thief isn't on Turn 3, but after, e.g., monored runs out of gas or Golgari uses up their chups and trophies, but that's not really practical for an aggressive creature like Warboss.

It has exactly the same weaknesses as Rabblemaster. Not surprising it is bad against the same match-ups.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

It superficially looks like Rabblemaster, except I personally don't think it's nearly as good because it's a lot easier to profitably stall out a Warboss. I mean, Legion Warboss would be nuts also if Stoke the Flames was legal.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

While it's true and both are weak to shock, Warboss has a lot going for it that thief doesn't, even if it doesn't snowball quite as brutally. It can fairly easily be played T2 off an elf, which when next set comes out is going to be huge for gruul, and it does something the turn it comes into play. A 1/1 haste token isn't a lot, but it's still something.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It's not good. People play that life gain + draw card but man is that not a good card.

This is my #1 worry about the next set, specifically UW/x.

It's good in Jet Ski control's sideboard. I've won so many game 2s by just playing it on turn 3 and countering a spell or 2. Then I win game 3 because they have Moment of Craving back in their deck instead of a real card and I have no targets for it except for half of a History of Benalia.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

It's good in Jet Ski control's sideboard. I've won so many game 2s by just playing it on turn 3 and countering a spell or 2. Then I win game 3 because they have Moment of Craving back in their deck instead of a real card and I have no targets for it except for half of a History of Benalia.

Yeah it’s an absolute house out of the sb in certain matchups. The token finishing off a Teferi that went -1 to clear the board is my favorite.

It might just be missing the critical support it needs but I just feel like in 3-4 months we’ll all be scratching our heads at how we didn’t see it was going to be one of the best rares in the set.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JGL is an OG mtg player apparently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GiSDSuK3Pk

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The R/W one is basically mono-white splashing Heroic Reinforcements, while the Boros one could be the Mentor deck with a lot of gold cards.

It is basically a question of whether they go R for 1 drops and take Fanatic + Banneret or W for Healer Hawk, Hunted Witness, or Haazada. They pretty much all run Boros Mentor, Stalwart, Tajic, Aurelia, etc. You can't really split your 1 drops between colors reliably.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The RW I saw doesn't run any of those cards, It's benalish marshal and history of benalia.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

lol Kai is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Can anyone tell me a good reason for seth to attack with two creatures there? cast out? lmao what a punt