Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
If EDH made a rule change tomorrow that said "All Planeswalker so can now be used as commanders" what would need to be banned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tonetta posted:

How the gently caress you gonna get a 3 digit dci, I have an 8 digit & I signed up in like 2002

Well, I've got 7 and started playing tournaments with Onslaught. I think.

Maybe I played in some organized stuff before then.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

i lost my 8 digit one from odyssey/onslaught era and now i have a 10 digit pleb one :(

They were really good on unifying all my stuff. Doesn't hurt to try and email em.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sailor Viy posted:

Do Commander precons ever add new cards to Pauper?

Yes, Ash Barrens is Pauper legal and needs to be printed in the next Standard set. It is a great, well balanced card.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Stop trying to trick him. You represent tapping by placing a bead on the card.

Yes, this is so when you tap an opponent's tapped creature it becomes double tapped.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Star Man posted:

I'm referring to when people turn their cards over maybe ten degrees when they tap them for an ability or attack.

As shown in the tap symbol.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Star Man posted:

I'm smart; I went to college.

Is all good. I graduated next to someone that thought "business environment" was about whether a business used eco friendly fuels.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The problem with iconics is making then draftable.

Shivan Dragon as a rare in a $10 pack would be bullshit.

Shivan Dragon as an uncommon breaks drafting those $10 packs.

I'm certainly curious how that all will turn out.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Elyv posted:

Shivan Dragon would have been a very good, but not the best, uncommon in most recent sets imo

Yeah, at least it isn't colorless. Looking at you Untethered Express.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

I haven't done it myself but it was my understanding that GPs were the best time to sell to stores. Obviously better to do it yourself on eBay or some such but still the best convenient option.

Yeah I don't know what GPs Sickening has been ripped off at. Normal GP flip is 50-75% of market.

Bulk rares typically thirteen cents per.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Went 3-1 off of AzoriusFlyers.Dec and sideboard tech of GolgariBeatdown.Dec. Lost in round 3 to a kid playing well with an awesome pool. He had Glorybringer, 2 red gods, Heaven & Earth, 2 of the 6/7 hexproof crocodile, and a boat load of removal.

Saw him go on to beat the guy who declined the fourth round prize split because "oh it's just a 12 year old kid."

Turns out 4 U/W Cartouches are really good coupled with Trial of Zeal splashed.

Enter into Wonder may as well say "you win the game" on it. 3 games were closed out for exactsies out of nowhere. One game ended after casting my copy 3 times via 2 Scribes of the Mindful and seeing 15 of my 16 lands before sizeable threats showed.

Set feels like a lot of fun. There's definitely some problem bombs at mythic level (3/5ths of the gods, Glorybringer) and a few uncommons that are insane (Enter into Wonder, Scaled Behemoth) but at least they require strong color commitment or are beef.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

One of the missing gods was obviously purple

Anchorite, the Unmoving

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'm legit sad we didn't get a Swords // Plowshares.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Probably far too late to matter but Aven Initiate is arguably the best blue card in the format and has no business being in your sideboard.

Errr, are you mistaking Aven Initiate (3U, 3/2 Flyer, Embalm 6U) with something else?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Just got my first trophy ever on MODO with what I thought was a middling WB zombies deck :toot:

WB Zombies are good, even when meh.

In limited? BW zombies is a house with a single zombie Lord.

Though a lot of 3-0 decks are going to be defined by "how does it deal with Glorybringer." That's a house in limited.

Especially when drafted by the guy who went P1P1 Glorybringer, P1P2 Insult // Injury, and ends up being the only red player in a 9 person pod.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Having been on the side of having Glorybringer, it's kind of dumb in limited. It can't even hit itself, so no threaten or clone effects.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So, it turns out being the only white drafter in an eight person pod is stupid and good.

P1P9 Oketra's Attendant, dandy. Took Lillian's Mastery over it, so good to see. P1P14 Fan Bearer, okay? P2P3 Lord of the Accursed, why not. Sure, P3P3 Angel of Sanctions, That makes perfect sense.

The person to my right ended up hate drafting 2 Binding Mummies and a Trueheart Duelist P3P9+. I couldn't blame them at all.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Nobody will judge you, FNM is meant to be a fun and casual tournament, and anybody being a hardass about T1 in that setting is a poopieface and should probably lighten up.

Basically this. If your FNM is filled with Tier1 then no shame to them either. It likely won't be a whole lot of fun going 1-2 or 0-3 in that environment.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's like 1 week in and I'm already sick of losing to Glorybringer over and over. What a cancerous card.

I don't know which one makes for a worse draft environment, Baneslayer or Glorybringer. Outside of Glorybringer I loving love drafting this set.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

I remember the last time we had a 5 mana 4/4 flyer with haste.

Red was good then. People complained.

Coincidence????????????????

I think it's in a fine position for constructed.

What's weird is the lack of counter play. As mentioned before, you can't even have it shoot itself due to the "an opponent controls" clause. Or clone it and kill the original due to the no dragon cause. For limited, the only dragon so far is actually Glorybringer.

If they'd put it as "target creature without flying" that'd be really good and still allow blocking. If they had the damage happen after combat, okay (but likely difficult to word). They could have had it deal damage equal to its power, allowing counter play in the form of Stinging Shot and Numbing Wraps while allowing it to be boosted by buffs.

Add to this that there's only 3 fliers that survives the firebreathing and those are Kefnet the Mindful, Glyph Keeper, and Seraph of the Sun. Kefnet is really conditional for limited, Glyph Keeper is a huge bomb in its own right, and Seraph costs 7 in a 15-16 land format.

Again, I enjoy Amonkhet. I think it's got a lot to offer, and drafting it is genuinely a blast. I'm glad that cards like Glorybringer exist. It's simply frustrating that Glorybringer exists as printed because it will act as a lottery. It's a card you have to pick. If it's P1P1 you're now in red. If it's P3P1 and you're not in red you have to hate draft it because it's that powerful.

Out of 2 drafts and the prerelease, I'm 8-2 for matches, and 100% of the matches I've lost were from Glorybringer hitting the table. One of those drafts I had Glorybringer and all three of us agreed it's ridiculous on your side. It feels like drafting monoblue faeries back in Lorwyn but with less thinking.

Wow I've typed way too many words over this dragon.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Rinkles posted:

It's an 8 mana card. It's not an auto include and requires building your deck a certain way to get the pay off.

That said, that was the complaint that resonated with me the least, even if I agree it's a problem.

They've learned from the "oops" that was the Lost in the Woods g2 deck. Which, don't get me wrong, siding into that deck at prereleases was hilarious. Without cycling answers they couldn't print an enchantment that says "you lose" to a fair spread of limited decks.

Also cycling should be evergreen. Anyone complaining about cycling being a mechanic is already wrong.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sickening posted:

Btw, mono black and b/w zombies is a real deck. The budgest b/w version without relentless and lily is what I would play if I was to suggest a deck to someone. The pushes are the only expensive card that is basically mandatory.

Can you share a list? I like having a cheap deck for when a friend wants to come join.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

It's so dumb that an extremely blue ability is primarily in blue!!!

Excuse me, cycling is obviously a red ability, since it's Rummage.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I have a glut of options to draft near me, and I think I have to drive a bit further to play with and against better players. Amonkhet limited is fun when you're not paired cross pod with a player who was the only person who drafted black in their pod. Then paired up with the only person drafting green in their pod.

Also when you get P1P3 Oketra's Servant, P1P4 Fan Bearer, and P1P5 Dawn // Dusk and then the two people up from you decided to go W/x.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
"You may cast this creature from farming."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Ugh. Sealed GPs are the loving worst.

Who opened 2x Glorybringer? With Edifice of Authority backup?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

5 picks in, and BBD's draft is already ri-goddamn-diculous.

Edit: He's the only blue drafter at the table. Easiest draft ever.

This is a really common thing this format. I don't get it. I've seen it in every color but green now.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Marketing New Brain posted:

The restriction is you have to fill your deck with cards that give you energy, and have said energy, and the marvel. This is slightly different than BBE, where the restriction is fill your deck with cards. Running the full 4 Ulamog, your chances of hitting one off a spin, even if you haven't drawn any, are lower than 50 percent. That also required you drew and activated Marvel. I personally like the deck but it's about as fair as it could possibly be.

Are you cross posting from mtgsalvation? You've gotta be a gimmick poster given your track record.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Hexproof is a terrible mechanic.

What do you mean you don't like 7/8 hexproof fliers in draft?

Seriously though hexproof was a mistake. If only it was "Hexproof X" where X was a generic Mana cost to target it, ala Frost Titan.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dehtraen posted:

People targeting / attempting to kill creatures that were being sacrificed to cast an emerge spell also seemed to be another common point of confusion as of late. Having to explain that they didn't have priority and by the time they did have priority the creature was no longer on the battlefield and only hearing "ok, but I killed it, so emerge fails" is definitely one of the mind boggling moments of magic that I've encountered recently.

Soft judging events reminds me why I don't go and renew my long lapsed judgeship. Little kids that don't fully understand are fine and will tend to listen, even if they immediately forget. 30 year olds that refuse to rtfc or respect that release notes when they're directly read to them are tiresome.

One guy wouldn't accept that Enigma Sphinx doesn't get +2/+0 from an Aftermath card in the discard. Myself and three other people took turns reading the release note entry to him. Then in a match he tried to convince his opponent that it worked to his advantage.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Entropic posted:

What card are you even talking about here? Enigma Sphinx is a card from Alara and none of the Sphinxes in this set get P/T bonuses from discard.
The only thing even close is Horror of the Broken Lands and I can't even fathom how someone would think that interacts with Aftermath at all.
:psyduck:

drat, meant Enigma Drake.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

If someone's been told by a judge (and it doesn't have to be a certified judge, they just have to be someone judging the event which it sounds like you might have been) and they tried to pull one over on their opponent later, I'd DQ them. I've never had someone be that belligerent before about a ruling.

It's a really, really soft store and I'm not there in any official capacity. Three of us are either active or former judges so we handle any rule disputes because the kids running the store don't know all the rules. Which is fine, except they explicitly don't have the authority, per the owner's word, to DQ anyone short of violence, blatant cheating, or "using the Lord's name in vain."

I think the last was a joke.

Still, the drafts are dirt cheap and if I want to draft with friends we go there.

Do wish they'd at least randomize seating for the pods.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Huh looks like he changed his tune, my bad.

Anyways, remember when magic was cool and not lame superhero league knockoffs with boring one dimensional characters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwIPwi_FSVc

Posted 3 years ago posted:

I know Homelands is a "bad set", but it is easily my favourite magic expansion. Drafting it is so much fun and it takes out any bullshit interactions.

Who wants to guess at what this guy considers "bullshit interactions?"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Ironically, all the cards for my New Perspectives deck arrived today. Except the New Perspectives.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What's weird about Aetherworks Marvel is that triggering it costs 6 energy. Every other card with a "big effect" costs 8 energy.

These big effects are things like...

Create a 6/6 token. (8 energy)
Deal 6 damage to target player (8 energy and an unsick creature)
Take an extra turn (8 energy, 6 Mana, unrepeatable)
Untap all creatures and make another attack (8 energy)
Return all other creatures to hand (8 energy, sorcery speed, on a 7CC body)

6 energy effects are
Draw 3 cards (2 Mana, unrepeatable)
Spin the loving marvel wheel (4 Mana, repeatable, no summoning sickness, can be triggered at instant speed)

Marvel should've either been 8 energy, 6 Mana, entered the battlefield tapped, or been a tap effect on a creature.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
How does the New Perspectives//Approach the Second Sun go off without Weirding Wood? You can only generate 12 Mana (4-2+4-2+4-2+4-2) plus any basics put into play via Sheffet Monitor. Is the hope really to hit all 4 viziers, all 4 Shadow of the Grave, and at least 2 lands?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Yeah that should be a game loss at comp REL. Hell, I'd have a very animated talk with the player and be discussing intent at that point.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

His original tweet had a bunch of dumbasses upset at Gerry supporting such a "repulsive organization" as Planned Parenthood or whining about how many babies PP killed. Magic players have some pretty bad apples! GerryT is not a bad apple, Gerry Thompson is a good egg.

There are a lot of people who engage in professional outrage who likely found the tweets by searching for "Planned Parenthood." It's really hard to split between the true believers who believe they're fighting the good fight, think tank shills, and genuine trolls.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

I've only ever played Disrupt in Mental Magic (where it's probably the best card), and I want to play that deck just so I can Disrupt someone and run out the rest of my clock doing various dances around the room

Disrupt over Ancestral. Huh, haven't played mMtG in ages but I can see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Smashing Link posted:

I've seen some pretty big collections sold at Baltimore's SCG event. Not sure what kind of a value you get but you can walk in with a stack of cards and leave with cash.

How does one walk in with a stack of MTGO cards?