Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

sit on my Facebook posted:

It amuses me that the only 2 cards that see play from Battle for Zendikar that see play are ones that most people hate playing against.

Gideon and dual lands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PJOmega posted:

This is a really common thing this format. I don't get it. I've seen it in every color but green now.

well ive only drafted twice, so take this with a huge grain of salt, but colors like red and black seem to have a higher number of playable commons/uncommons so that 3 people can get them at a table and still have playable, if not amazing decks. green only having one fight card seems like its making it less good, altho tbh they have some great creatures sooooo idk

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Green and blue are the two weakest colors.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

YggdrasilTM posted:

Green and blue are the two weakest colors.

:agreed:

It's a little strange because they both seemed very strong. Greater Sandwurm and the embalm Aven would be insane commons in most sets .

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

BFZ had Lumbering Falls and Shambling Vent which are the least played ones in Standard.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

BFZ had Lumbering Falls and Shambling Vent which are the least played ones in Standard.

"the only 2 cards that see play" <> "the 2 more played"

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Eela6 posted:

:agreed:

It's a little strange because they both seemed very strong. Greater Sandwurm and the embalm Aven would be insane commons in most sets .
What about Channeler Initiate, Rhonas, Exemplar of Strength, the haste croc, the hexproof croc, or MOUTH?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Siivola posted:

What about Channeler Initiate, Rhonas, Exemplar of Strength, the haste croc, the hexproof croc, or MOUTH?

we're not saying green doesn't have good cards, we're saying that other then a few cards, most of it is middling to bad

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Siivola posted:

none of these are commons

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Gideon and Ulamog is what I meant

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

none of these are commons

oh poo poo lol i didn't catch that lol

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Aww I w/o
In addition 99kllllllp)l0

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I assumed we were talking about a colour's cards in general, not specifically UG commons being actually bad instead of good.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Necronomicon posted:

Aww I w/o
In addition 99kllllllp)l0
Are you having a stroke right now? Do you need emergency services? I'll call em.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Siivola posted:

I assumed we were talking about a colour's cards in general, not specifically UG commons being actually bad instead of good.

We were talking about limited and like 80% of your cards are commons.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

When you are talking about a draft format you generally base it on its commons, because it is pretty easy to say, "well, green has Rhonas!"

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
This Ben Friedman draft is pretty rough.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah fair enough, y'all entirely right.

So, uh, I should stop drifting into green every time I play this set, huh? :ohdear:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Siivola posted:

Yeah fair enough, y'all entirely right.

So, uh, I should stop drifting into green every time I play this set, huh? :ohdear:

It's not at BFZ green levels.
You can build great green decks if you find the right cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah draft is pretty self correcting so maybe there are supposed to be 3 red drafters and 1-2 green drafters at a given table but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take that P1 P2 Crocodile of the Crossing or whatever.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
This is a weird set in that White is absurdly deep at common and green unusually shallow. A big problem is the two drop green exert creature is the worst in the cycle. They don't really get an above the curve creature at common until their 5 drop, and the naga mana dork ramp decks haven't impressed me.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
For people who weren't watching, round 13 featured Ben Friedman with a sick Anointer Priest + Anoited Procession + Oketra combo, make four tokens per turn gain four life.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

sit on my Facebook posted:

It amuses me that the only 2 cards that see play from Battle for Zendikar that see play are ones that most people hate playing against.

The should've just rotated it.

I use Encircling Fissure on the reg TYVM

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

It's just really horrible and there is no way to interact with it. It might actually be reasonable if Ulamog wasn't in the format but the games just feel like too much of a crapshoot. It's so much worse than company. I know company felt bad but you were companying into 2/3's... Not cards that end the game on T4.

Topdeck Matters cards that provide their own value or let you random-chance dig for value are stupid. It's like Cascade - you shouldn't get a 3/2 haste plus anything else you happen to topdeck. For free. Aetherworks counts among these stupid mechanics because the cost to use it is ridiculously low (you either hit Ulamog or a way to use Marvel more). If Aetherworks had like, any meaningful restrictions on using it (letting you cast literally any spell for six energy when half your deck probably gives you energy) I guess I could see it being okay, but as-is its horribly unbalanced.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The card wouldn't be nearly as bad if it had summoning sickness.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Topdeck Matters cards that provide their own value or let you random-chance dig for value are stupid. It's like Cascade - you shouldn't get a 3/2 haste plus anything else you happen to topdeck. For free. Aetherworks counts among these stupid mechanics because the cost to use it is ridiculously low (you either hit Ulamog or a way to use Marvel more). If Aetherworks had like, any meaningful restrictions on using it (letting you cast literally any spell for six energy when half your deck probably gives you energy) I guess I could see it being okay, but as-is its horribly unbalanced.

BBE would be less miserable to play against in standard than Marvel.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

BBE would be less miserable to play against in standard than Marvel.

BBE into Traverse for Ishkanah or another BBE sounds good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Commentary for the GP seems pretty good, a guy called "JBL" and a woman, who I assume is called "Maggle".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hellsau posted:

BBE into Traverse for Ishkanah or another BBE sounds good.

That is alot of value but it's pretty much fair magic and you can interact with it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Source your quotes

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BizarroAzrael posted:

Commentary for the GP seems pretty good, a guy called "JBL" and a woman, who I assume is called "Maggle".

JVL, I think.

John Bradshaw would not suffer this nerdery.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

BizarroAzrael posted:

IT'S JOHN O'CLOCK, MOTHERFUCKER!

I legit want to hear someone commentate a Magic tournament like JBL - it will probably not end well, but it will definitely be interesting.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

The restriction is you have to fill your deck with cards that give you energy, and have said energy, and the marvel. This is slightly different than BBE, where the restriction is fill your deck with cards. Running the full 4 Ulamog, your chances of hitting one off a spin, even if you haven't drawn any, are lower than 50 percent. That also required you drew and activated Marvel. I personally like the deck but it's about as fair as it could possibly be.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Marketing New Brain posted:

The restriction is you have to fill your deck with cards that give you energy, and have said energy, and the marvel. This is slightly different than BBE, where the restriction is fill your deck with cards. Running the full 4 Ulamog, your chances of hitting one off a spin, even if you haven't drawn any, are lower than 50 percent. That also required you drew and activated Marvel. I personally like the deck but it's about as fair as it could possibly be.

Nah, it could come into play tapped and that would be as fair as it could possibly be

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Calling Aetherworks Marvel fair is insane. Turn 4 Ulamog is not fair. That's the point, that's why people are willing to deal with the setup cost and accept the times that Marvel misses. When you spike a 10 mana creature on turn four, and then keep the Marvel around to do it again if they answer the Eldrazi, it doesn't feel like you're playing the same game as your opponent. It's silly to call Marvel fair because you have to put a bunch of weird or bad cards in your deck and then draw the right distribution of cards. If that's the case, Legacy Storm is a fair deck - you have to put a bunch of card-disadvantageous cards into your deck like Dark Ritual and Lotus Petal, plus bad cards like Lion's Eye Diamond and Ad Nauseum, and then you need to draw Ad Nauseum and the mana to cast it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Are you cross posting from mtgsalvation? You've gotta be a gimmick poster given your track record.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Are you cross posting from mtgsalvation? You've gotta be a gimmick poster given your track record.

They could just be bad at magic like most goons that post in the magic thread.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Marvel should have put permanents into play instead of casting spells. But Ulamog would still be nuts on turn 4, so who knows.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Procrastinator posted:

Marvel should have put permanents into play instead of casting spells. But Ulamog would still be nuts on turn 4, so who knows.

As someone who plays Through the Breach in Modern, a 10+ CMC creature is ridiculous on turn 4 even if you don't cast it. Hell, a 6 CMC creature on turn 4 is still really drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

As someone who plays Through the Breach in Modern, a 10+ CMC creature is ridiculous on turn 4 even if you don't cast it. Hell, a 6 CMC creature on turn 4 is still really drat good.

TtB gives them haste. Turn 4 Newlamog w/o cast and w/o haste isn't crazy considering the deck building requirements needed for that to go off.