Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Soul Glo posted:

EDH is good, let's talk it out, y'all.

Actually somebody tell me what cards to buy on MTGO before they launch the 1v1 commander leagues, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Siivola posted:

As far as I can tell, this is the official unofficial "Standard sucks let's play literally anything else" thread. :v:

On that note, this is my first prerelease, any tips?

Open a masterpiece. I suggest Consecrated Sphinx, Worship, Attrition, Mind Twist, or just Force of Will for money.

Beyond that, it looks like you want 17-18 lands depending on how much Embalm stuff you have to sink your mana into. Listen to Limited Resources' latest episode to see what commons and uncommons are good, read LSV's written limited reviews for the rares and good jokes, and read Paulo's prerelease preview later this week if he writes an article again.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Masterpiece art is still really small but Dusk//Dawn looks nice and symmetrical.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Listerine Hangover posted:

While I was waiting for the bathroom before the tournament, someone behind me said they had a glock in their pocket. He was a weird aspie demon that stared at me before I switched tables. I was legit concerned about getting shot up tonight. Man

I'm late on this but at least he didn't just say he was happy to see you.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

I fondi Gideon an absolutely useless planeswalker

Did you find it to be a pretty great removal spell?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I've been hearing some stuff about DRS being banned from Legacy. I think it's a good idea.

I don't see how banning DRS does anything except making Reanimator the second best deck. If they're banning DRS, they're going to have to kill something from Miracles, probably Gitaxian Probe and Entomb, and actually this sounds really dumb, banning only DRS would make no sense though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

DRS isn't keeping Reanimator down in Legacy. It's actually slow and bad GY hate. I'd say to ban DRS and Top.

DRS is the U/G/B/x midrange garbage decks' method of winning against Reanimator once you Force their first thing or if you can strip a key card with Thoughtseize to slow them down. If DRS wasn't in those decks, they'd have a zero percent game 1 winrate against Reanimator. Though I guess those decks just don't exist without DRS powering them.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I understand that but they are still major dogs in G1 vs reanimator and 60+% in G's 2 and 3. Sure DRS does pump that but that isn't the matchup I would say that DRS is overpowered in. It's just too ubiquitous.

DRS is pretty prolific, but that's because it's powerful enough to give people a reason to play a deck over just playing Miracles. The hybrid cost makes that card just show up everywhere.

Do you think Legacy is a better format, or a more fun to play format, if DRS and no other card gets banned? If they're going to finally ban Top then I agree that banning DRS is a good idea since it really will be ubiquitous, but it seems crazy that the conversation somehow came to banning DRS. Or is everyone assuming that now WotC will take a look at Legacy and say that Miracles just has too much presence and needs to have something banned from it, surely they won't just keep ignoring Legacy and let it play itself out.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

came here to post this, only way to be sure it's real

it certainly doesn't look like my force, it probably doesn't even pass the light test

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

You are one of the good ones tm in D&D anyway

In other news, I'm building up G/R Energy in Standard to fling 20/20s all day and they're nothing they can do about it.

Emergency banning for Attune With Aether incoming.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I don't understand how not banning things somehow gets more people to be confident in buying into Standard. I bought into Marvel deck for a few local tournaments, and it was pretty okay but the lottery aspect was real stupid. Then they basically banned it out of the format. Yeah Emrakul was pretty unfun and dumb and ubiquitous, so I'm fine with that banning, if hey're going to ban other cards in standard that are dumb and unfun and ubiquitous. The only deck I would be willing to play in Standard is Cat Combo. The combo is are much of the metagame as Emrakul decks were in the previous season, with significantly less variety among the decks, and a dumb turn 4 combo that just strangles a large number of potential archetypes is pretty much the same effect Emrakul had where you couldn't have a long game that was better than casting Emrakul, but in addition the combo also stops stuff like the Colossus or Aetherflux Reservoir or ramp decks from existing. The combo has all the same effects that Emrakul had on the format, yet WotC is just...leaving it around? If I bought into that deck and it got banned, I'd feel like a real idiot because obviously it was going to get banned, but if it doesn't get banned then it stopped me from buying into the format while also enabling the least interesting Pro Tour.

Also Copter shouldn't be banned. Banning Copter because it just went into every deck with creatures was stupid, because it didn't force those decks to diversify, they just stopped existing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Wow, day 1 Amonkhet draft video from lsv

Yeah unfortunately it was a single elimination queue and LSV's opponent had Liliana's Embrace, Insult//Injury and Glorybringer, so he got crushed.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sickening posted:

It has a huge chance of loving up at least half of a season before it can even be banned. Half of a season is pretty loving huge.

It's going to gently caress up the important half of the season. How many notable standard tournaments were there after the last post-Pro Tour banning announcement, just the two Grand Prixs in Japan and Brazil? They're going to turn the important part of the season into a lame duck format.

Come on either fancy new aggro deck that's able to compete with Cat Combo and Mardu OR 32/32 Felidar Guardians in the top eight.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

Saheeli is beatable stop whining

Well yeah, Saheeli isn't particularly powerful. A deck with 56 lands and 4 Saheelis won't be winning many tournaments. That's why they should ban the Cat.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

CopyCat is totally beatable guys, it's not like all the mirrors result in draws.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mikujin posted:

I've already solved the new standard meta game, ask me anything.

3 Cats or 4 Cats? What split between Harnessed Lightnings and Magma Sprays maindeck?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mikujin posted:

Jokes on all of you the real answer is I solved standard by playing cube.

Does the Cat have a place in Cube? They could swap the Twin archetype to R/W instead of R/U - Cat and Resto are both fine cards on their own, Cat comboes with Twin and Kiki, and it's not like blue needs the help in cube.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

MTGS is a great forum full of good posts

I'd be willing to bet that a majority of good posts from this thread are actually just copy/pastes from MTGs.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mikujin posted:

Cat is poo poo.

E: And it also doesn't play well with Twin.

What? Play Twin on Cat, make a token, blink Twin, attach to the token, blink twin poo poo that's infinite tapped tokens, wait just add the thread's favorite God Purphoros, there problem solved.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

whydirt posted:

Collected Company should have raised flags in R&D for sure. It's better than Fact or Fiction and that's a card that is Too Good For Standard as seen by a bunch of similar but worse cards coming out of the pipeline in recent years. If nothing else it should have been a sorcery instead of an instant.

Emrakul is easier to forgive since it still costs 8-9 mana even with a high delirium count.

Emrakul costs nine with exactly Delirium. The problem is that getting six types in the yard isn't particularly difficult, and seven mana for Emrakul is clearly too little. It wasn't rare to have a full seven card types in the yard for Marvel. She either needed to just cost 15 so that a full yard in standard only brings it down to costing eight mana, or there should have been a cap on the cost reduction.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Boxman posted:

What happened there, anyway? I stopped playing for maybe 9 months and when I came back apparently Pucatrade started being completely worthless. Was it just the point inflation thing people were worried about early on? Because prices look somewhat reasonable.

You currently need to be an 'active trader' for your wants to show up to other users, and what an 'active trader' is hasn't been defined but you have to send out a number of cards to other users. This is colossally stupid. Someone like me who wants large numbers of lovely bulk commons and is willing to send out a few high priced EDH junk is the perfect person for the Pucatrade market, and the entire site is worthless because even if I sent out a few cards, no one can see the stuff I want.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Yes. This is what the board eventually looked like

I want Cuneo to land four Coat of Arms and cast Soulblast.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

WotC doesn't get to use the "we've never actually emergency banned something from standard, Jar doesn't count" card anymore. At least they got berated into banning the stupid cat, and I wasn't even tricked into buying into the deck online by thinking, "hey they cannot possibly emergency ban here, so I'm in the clear until June!"

At least the Pro Tour will be reasonably exciting to watch. We'll have to wait for the Fall set to see the wet fart that emerges from the PT that gets to play the month old format that debuts at Worlds.

mcmagic posted:

It is definitely true that play/draw and the early game matters way too much in standard now. I think the only "story card" that is too powerful is Gideon AOZ. The issue is that we don't have hero's downfall and all the answers to it are these sorcery speed garbage. The 1 mana ramp cards are a good way of catching you up too. So does stuff like Lightning Bolt/Strike and Path which should all be in standard.

Heart of Kiran is too powerful, given the easy enablers in Toolcraft Exemplar and Scrapheap Scrounger and Gideon playing exceptionally well with it. Avacyn is stupidly powerful, but costs five mana which is a bit much given the incredibly powerful four mana cards in the format.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm feeling pretty good about this, guys.

A few things about this draft deck -

1) Is Oashra Cultivator playable? It seems so durdly and an absolutely horrible topdeck lategame, and it cannot possibly be better than the Essence Scatter in your sideboard. You also have Tah-Crop Skirmisher if you need low drops.

2) Irrigated Farmland is better than an Island.

3) River Serpent seems better than Colossapede. The versatility of being able to cycle it for one mana is worth the extra mana on the actual cost.

4) Aven Initiate is very good if you can afford another four drop. It's a 3 power flier for 4 that embalms, that's a good deal.

TheAsterite posted:

Speaking of which, what's a good jeweler's loupe for magic cards? I don't want some cheap $5 one, just something that'll last a while.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015RINTFM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

That one has worked perfectly for me for about a year. Dunno if there's a cheaper/better one available.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I just don't want this thread to devolve into people only posting to self-promote their blogs.

so i guess i shouldn't post a link to my blog where i argue against the reserve list and how bad edh is and the latest absurd mtgo bugs i've run up against?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

That Handy/Graves match was awful to watch.

You don't see the greatness of watching a player forced to expend two premium counterspells on two copies of Return targeting nothing relevant due to being at 2 life? I dunno, it's fun to watch a control mirror turn against one player as they're slowly ground into dust.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Anyone buy cardboard storage boxes online without getting ripped off? Amazon is like 12 bucks for a 1600 count....

Get a large order through BCW. Over $80 is free shipping, which will otherwise be a large portion of your expense. Turns out giant flat things aren't cheap to ship. If you don't need $80 of boxes, ask your LGS if you can order a bunch through them, or if not see if any of your homies want to go in with you on a big order.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

For one? That's crazy. LGS's sell those for like $3. Are you sure it isn't like a four / five pack?

Naw getting a box from Amazon costs a ton because you can't ship a giant wide/long package for cheap even if it's totally flat. If you're getting 50 boxes at once it isn't a substantially higher cost to ship compared to just getting one, but Amazon dealers don't generally do bulk shipping.

but yeah check your LGS McMagic

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Question for judges: if I'm making infinite mana and then use it to activate a duskwatch recruiter infinitely, pulling all creatures from my deck, can I shortcut by just looking through my deck? Do I "know" my deck order at this point, allowing me to stack my deck essentially since I can put three back in any order and repeat until I've stacked the entire deck? I guess the only issue being if my deck has a number of cards left divisible by 3 so I'd see the same 3 as the deck looped around.

I know when I make infinite scrys with viscera seer I can shortcut by just picking the deck up and cutting to the card I want on top. I just want to make sure I shortcut correctly with recruiter as I test the new infinite mana combo in abzan company.

If you don't take any creatures, you can look through your deck outside of one or two remainer cards if your deck isn't divisible by three. By activating the Duskwatch the same number of times twice, you can get past those remainders and you get back to the original deck order. It seems like you should be allowed to look through your library, but call a judge to make sure they're fine with it in advance. At that point you can plot out which creatures you need to take and how many times you need to activate to get a certain card onto the top of your library.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

keratinous scutes posted:

I've seen donations from plasma centers that were thick as pudding.

The instrument that takes a sample from the test tube pulled out its tip and the blood didn't rush back to fill the void. The hole just stayed there.

It looked like a strawberry milkshake.

A straight trade for cardboard seems fair.

this sounds like a foodie review from a vampire

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

This looks reasonable. Primeval Titan being banned while Sol Ring, Mana Crypt and Protean Hulk are not always makes me laugh.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is a 1v1 focused list, you know.

You know.

Seriously is there a place where I can see what cards aren't on MTGO, I am seriously confused about not banning Vampiric Tutor/Imperial Seal.

Both of them are online. Demonic Tutor also isn't banned so they either left off the Tutors section from the article or they're just not banning tutors for some reason.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Bonus posted:

Looks like they aren't sure which direction to go with the format, they say they want it to be a 1v1 competitive format, but also casual but it also has multiplayer in mind?

There's a chance they literally don't know how to have a separate banned list for multiplayer and 1v1, or they somehow hit a hardcap on the number of available banned lists? There doesn't seem to be a good reason to combine the 1v1 and multiplayer EDH lists, given they already use the normal shifty Sheldon list online.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

uninverted posted:

RG breach and RG scapeshift are very similar, but the blue builds are their own thing. Speaking of which, why isn't anyone playing Bring to Light (or RUG) scapeshift right now?

Can't beat Death's Shadow. Discard hits your interaction if any and your clock is too slow.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

oh no, trap cards arent actually traps and I have to actually evaluate them instead of ignoring a bunch of chaff in every pack :cry:

You don't understand. You can destroy an artifact OR a land! But this other card that is the same card but you can also cycle it away when it's not needed is bad because who would want to get rid of this awesome spell?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Tamiyo seems like a typical Minecraft player.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

It's collushit, cmon dude

You really gotta poo poo all over his joke like that?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I'd rather play against the cat combo all day than the card Aetherworks Marvel. The card makes for poo poo gameplay and is completely unfun.

Is there one designer at WotC that is like, "Yo I got this idea for a powerful card" and when everyone else tells them it's broken they're just like, "no don't worry y'all, you have to look at the top six, it's balanced because you can miss!"

Company wasn't fun to play or play against, Marvel wasn't fun to play or play against. Having an entire game revolve around the random top six cards of a player's library is really stupid.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

It's just really horrible and there is no way to interact with it. It might actually be reasonable if Ulamog wasn't in the format but the games just feel like too much of a crapshoot. It's so much worse than company. I know company felt bad but you were companying into 2/3's... Not cards that end the game on T4.

I dunno, when I Companied into Reflector Mage + Tireless Tracker, it felt pretty drat gross. I guess not as gross as a turn four Emrakul or Ulamog. They really should have tried out the 18 month rotation at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

For people who weren't watching, round 13 featured Ben Friedman with a sick Anointer Priest + Anoited Procession + Oketra combo, make four tokens per turn gain four life.