Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I can't wait to cast Admiral Mom.

She's going into my bolas control deck that is now going to be a pirate deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
What's the best way to post a decklist? I've been tooling around with various smallpox builds in modern and was wondering what the thread would think about them.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I've been playing a really janky enigma drake list with a pile of cards I happened to have thrown together before last week's standard showdown. Surprisingly, it's done really well - 2nd place both last Saturday and last night, losing to control each time. I only run 4 drake, 3 cryptic, and no riddle forms. 2x search for azcanta has been amazing, and champion of wits (3, but I want a fourth) has been the MVP. The only counter magic I run is supreme will and a single disallow. Everything else is burn. I'll post the actual list when I get home, but I think those are the big differences.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
The meta at my LGS is super diverse. I feel like everyone there has a pet deck, and they're all different. A good chunk of the tier 1/2 decks are represented, but there's plenty of jank that shows up. I myself run mardu smallpox, and usually top 3, and most people have no idea what's going on with it.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Meh, it's a bomb that you just lose if you can't answer, has an ability designed to make it hard to answer and it functions in a super wonky way.

The Angry Grimace Meta is me playing Tezzeret in everything because it's funny when people think they're safe from dying to Marionette Master and then they realize I got down to 5 artifacts for the specific purpose of using Tezzeret's minus on the Master and then saccing like 2 artifacts to Syndicate Trafficker and they die.

That's the deck I'm going to put together for standard. I had fun with an enigma drake deck for awhile, but got bored when I started improving the deck and found it was just UR Control with enigma drake in it.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

C-Euro posted:

List? Just finished a Mardu Nahiri deck so I have all of the staple spells and fetches for those colors.

I'll post it when I get home from work!

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I'm happy because I think my matchups against BBE and JtMS decks as a smallpox player are pretty good.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Is there anyone who lives in/around Philadelphia that could give me a rundown on the LGSes there? It's likely I'm gonna be visiting family there for a week or so in April and I enjoy playing magic with new people.

Same with both Houston and Baltimore now that I think about it, although I won't be going to either of those cities until much later this year.

Burn Philly to the ground, play in Jersey.

Stomping Grounds is a bit north of Philly and seemed to have nice people when I was last stuck in the area visiting family.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I'm already super invested in modern staples, but all I want is this game to be cheaper for my friends (and other new players) so that more people play. I don't understand why WOTC doesn't see all the cash they're leaving on the table by making their most popular format more inaccessible.

Edit: indirectly; by not reprinting modern staples

smertrioslol fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 7, 2018

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Dominaria looks sweet, I might buy back into standard. Or at least do more limited stuff.

I hope that mox doesn't cost an arm and a leg; I wanna jam it into modern DnT. Maybe drop the thraben inspectors for 2 kytheon/2 isamaru? I'm excited to test it, at least. I recently dropped the eldrazi part to make the mana base more friendly and added red for direfleet daredevil/flip akroma/magus of the moon shenanigans. Are there any decent red legendary 1 drops that might also enable the mox? Zurgo?

Edit: Scryfall is cool and good. Rhys the Redeemed is also an option, but doesn't really fit the theme and likely won't be able to take advantage of his ability.

smertrioslol fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 9, 2018

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I stare sadly at my playset of bobs sitting in my binder, since I don't have goyfs to play him with.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
What website do you guys recommend to pre-order from?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

Is Teferi worth ordering at $15.00? I'm probably going to switch back to UW Approach with the addition of him and 4x Seal Away which is going for $2.00 right now

Related: what does everyone think the new mox will settle at? Worth a pre order or doesn't the thread thinks it's going to tank. I'm gonna stuff it in DnT with Kytheon and Isamaru (and maybe Zurgo)

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
As I sit here not plowing in my truck during the fifth failed snowpocalypse, I've noticed Liliana and Bob have skyrocketed in price. What's the best way for me to dump my playsets so I can buy fun jank? I kind of want to play hollow one since I know burning inquiry will tilt a lot of people.

EDIt: my LGS owner just texted me asking how excited I was for the commander filth buy a box promo. Disclaimer: I pre ordered a box to draft with friends at a bachelor party

smertrioslol fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 21, 2018

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Facebook or buylist.

What's buy list :shobon: ?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Aranan posted:

It's the term used to refer to stores that offer to buy specific cards at certain prices. Since they're reselling the cards, the price they're offering is going to be lower than what they can sell them for (obviously) but it's made up for by the fact that it's really easy and you get your cash (or store credit) quickly.

I've used StarCityGames and ChannelFireball before and it's a really smooth process.

I might give that a shot if goons don't want what I have. Now that I think about it, I have a good amount of cards to dump. I want to keep my collection to just a few modern decks and a handful of staples I plan to use.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

I'm running:.

This looks fun.

EFB

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Is it okay to talk about modern deck lists in here?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

This is fantastic, thanks for the repost I missed it the first go round.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Friend/foe seems like a really powerful mechanic for 2HG and a hilarious mechanic for multi player commander.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Reprint every card until they cost $5.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I want a referee card that can hand out yellow/red cards.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Set seems dope and fun to play with. Definitely gonna bring my brother to a pre-release. Neither of us had ever done 2HG before the dominaria pre-release and it was a ton of fun. Getting a few rares for casual/commander play will be a nice. It's also nice that the store near him gives prize support of any kind of booster (sup mm17) for your wins and not just whatever set you're playing.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Why do some people in this thread get so ban happy when they lose to a card their deck isn't good against? You can't have a favorable matchup against everything.

Oh, and Tezzerator is the most fun deck I've played in awhile. Turn 3 bridge against hollow one or humans is fantastic.

smertrioslol fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 2, 2018

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Can't many decks cast ensnaring bridge for it's printed CMC of 3 colorless mana?

Tutoring for it at instant speed at Start Combat and using it in an improvise shell seems a lot better than hoping for a top deck or playing trophy mage or some other nonsense. Also, Tezzeret AoB is a Cool Card and thopter sword is bonkers against a lot of decks.

Or power it out turn two with a decent mox opal draw.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Came here to ask someone to talk me out of picking up a play set of SFM (modern taxes has been my jam for awhile since I gave up on smallpox) but I already bought them in a moment of weakness :shobon:

(In the hopes it gets unbanned)

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

So hidden in 12th at GP Pitts was this deck: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1164045

Abzan Sagas

-------------

2 Knight of Grace
2 Knight of Malice
1 Walking Ballista

4 Baffling End
4 History of Benalia
2 Thopter Arrest
3 Ixalan's Binding
4 The Eldest Reborn

4 Fatal Push
3 Vraska's Contempt

3 Karn, Scion of Urza
2 Vraska, Relic Seeker

2 Sunpetal Grove
3 Plains
4 Isolated Chapel
1 Forest
5 Swamp
2 Woodland Cemetery
1 Evolving Wilds
4 Concealed Courtyard
4 Scattered Groves

SB: 2 Doomfall
SB: 4 Ruin Raider
SB: 4 Duress
SB: 4 Aethergeode Miner
SB: 1 Ravenous Chupacabra

-------------

The manabase looks waaaay too green, but it seems pretty interesting besides that.

I would have thought some number of cast out makes this list.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Pretty happy I picked up a playset of SFM when I did.

I checked tcg player and two have shipped...the other two have not. Do I have any recourse if the other seller cancels my order for when I got them at $22?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Nope, they'll claim there was an error in their inventory and refund you, then quietly relist those copies in a week at the new stupid price. You can report them to TCGPlayer support but they won't do poo poo for you.

That really, really sucks. Hoping it's not the case.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
It was a tcg direct seller, but in a separate package (2/2 :smith: ). So maybe there's hope? I would double check but the order history page seems like it's down right now.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
C'mon stone forge unban, don't make me regret buying this poo poo

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I wonder how much these will cost to get off tcgplayer. Gorgeous.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I'm pretty high on the azorius version with curious obsession and vial. I'm not a fan of CoCo so the bant version never resonated well with me.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Sleeve up bant spirits in modern

Have you tried the blue white version? Also, I think the new lord and grave hate spirit might make one or both versions Actually Good.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

T2 Geist into T3 swing for 7 with exalted trigger hold up mana is one of the best things the deck can do. There's a reason noble is the best mana dork ever printed, exalted triggers shave a turn off your clock even when it's a less impactful play like making your 2/1 a 3/2

One of my favorite recent plays was when my opponent slammed a T3 reality smasher and swung for 5 so I cast phantasmal image (with a noble out) and swung for 6 with my own reality smasher.

If you're playing U/W vial spirits you can keep the phantasmals in, but I don't think there's room for them in the bant version

How often do you find the selfless spirits important main deck? I was thinking of some kind of split with remorseful spirit main deck after m19. I have a lot of GY dependent decks in my meta. Kinda curious if that's ubiquitous.

I tried bant without hierarch (bop instead) and the lack of exalted suuuuuucked. And I don't see myself getting a playset anytime soon.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Selfless spirit is a loving house, and can turn a game on a dime in a race. it's one of the more important cards against affinity and humans.

Your job is to get in with chip damage over the first few turns, and then use selfless spirit intelligently when it turns into a race

Flashing or vialing in selfless spirit when your opponent is attacking, then blocking, saccing the spirit, and winning on the crack back is great.

This is especially relevant against affinity where they will attach cranial plating to vault skirge. Flash in selfless, assign blockers (selfless on skirge) sac selfless before damage, kill your opponents attackers, stop them from gaining life, crack back for lethal.

Okay, it makes much more sense in that context. I don't have ANY humans or affinity at my LGS. I mostly see gifts storm, grixis control, ponza, copy cat combo, uw control, whatever decks of mine that I lend out, and never ending jank. I've seen cheerios, greater gargadon shenanigans, horror tribal, and a bunch of upgraded standard decks.

I should probably go to the more competitive store near me more, but I'm not always in the mood for grinders.

Mcmagic, you're a jersey player too, right? Is bearded dragon or the freehold shop worth a 40min drive?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

On the upside spirits is favored against uw and grixis control, and I feel like you can definitely make the gifts storm matchup work in your favor, especially with eidolon of rhetoric.

Oh, yeah. I don't really lose much, I'm definitely the boogeyman deck at the store when I'm on spirits.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
0-1 drop. I played modern FNM the beforehand with abzan loam pox and I was completely drained by the time I started cracking packs. I did snatch up two of the spirit lord and three of the tormod's crypt on a stick spirit, though. Hoping to get the rest today. My LGS is struggling for numbers so I signed up for a few prereleases.

And yeah, super creature light ^^^

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

little munchkin posted:

it's cool that the mods allowed people to rant about sjw cuture for 1500 posts, yet a thread about the gamestore with nazi flags full of "this seems bad, to me" posts was nipped in the bud immediately

Are you surprised?

Tested UW spirits some this weekend after grabbing the new lord and remorseful spirit. Seems like a more consistent clock. I'm thinking about throwing one godless shrine and one watery grave in so I can side lingering souls in against grindy midrange decks. Also debating cutting PtE from the main for a mix of vapor snag, ephara god of polis, and nebelgast. PtE doesn't feel as important to me with the clock a full turn faster. I'll post a full list when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

fadam posted:

The Grixis standard mirror is literally exhausting to play after 3+ months of playing nothing but Modern Humans lmao

I'm on Ru wizards, splashing only for adeliz and counters in the board. No mirrors ever! Also, has pretty good play against everything in my limited sample size.

I've been on tezzerator in modern the past week and boy do they play differently.