Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

... Jace is unbanned, or is that :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

What are y'alls favorite deck/collection trackers and why?
I've got an old deckbox account; unfortunately it's wildly out of date but still has like tens of thousands of cards entered so I don't want to completely scrap it. Basically I'm looking for a fresh place to start where I can painlessly enter cards & decks I'm actually using and want to keep while half-assedly maintaining the old deckbox account if I need to reference anything from it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Back in the dark ages there was a Junior PT and then the Junior Super Series that followed it. Two "graduates" of those that I can think of went on to win PTs relatively soon after- Jon Finkel and Gadiel Szleifer. I know Gadiel quit the JSS and took a ratings invite to the PT before he ran out of JSS eligibility because he thought both the standard of play and the stakes were too low, so maybe she'll end up better for being exposed to a stronger player base at GPs and PTQs rather than pushing to the top of a weaker player pool for a better chance at prizes.

Oh man, I didn't know they'd done away with the junior stuff but it makes sense, been forever since I saw anything about that. I won a JPTQ when I was a kid in like mirage/visions/weatherlight era but scrubbed out hard after that.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

They sent out 100k codes for the stress test yesterday. They'll probably do it again soon, since the servers stayed up.

Ugh, still nothing here.

On another note, I haven’t played standard since Melira Pod was a legal standard deck, so... are these challenger decks any good, are there specific ones that might be better than others, etc.?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

B/R Hollow One splashing white for Lingering Souls is pretty sweet.

WTF is with the commentary not even mentioning how weird/cool that is.

That sounds sweet. I need to check coverage.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

arena isn't much fun when literally everyone i play seems to be slamming full playsets of scarab gods on curve while i'm durdling around with the rank starter decks dropping grizzly bears and poo poo

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Make vamps it's your only hope

I'm playing the dumb precon vamps, that's totally the same right

Hellsau posted:

Well for a minor investment of $200 every 3 months your F2P rear end can start winning games!

I thought you couldn't p2w yet in beta?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

How do the arena resets work exactly? Just full reset to square one across the board? I realized I’ve been dumbly conservative with my wildcards, sitting on 2-3 mythics right now.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is an arena reset known to be coming?

I thought someone said there was one coming before/with Dominaria’s release on Arena (the 26th), but I may have just made that up.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Shouldn’t have buylisted my Isamaru’s a few months back. Wanna try that.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I don't get it, what does the mox does that a plain doesnt here

well, you see, it isn’t a land

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Devor posted:

What does Black Lotus do that three basic lands doesn't

when I was like eight and first getting into magic c. revised, this was my rationale behind not trading for cheap dual lands

I sorta got why moxes were good, but they weren’t really within my budget as a child with no income.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

You can't grind cards into dust.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

empathe posted:

AFAIK yes you can’t ever have more than 4 of a card.

There were cards showing up in my collection twice in a row but it was probably just a weird visual bug. Some c-tier creatures were showing as two consecutive entries of four copies each.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tainen posted:

There are a couple of cards (opt, Colossal Dreadmaw etc..) that are in multiple sets and at the moment you can collect 4 copies from each set.

Nah, I don’t remember the specific card now but the listing was identical, set symbol included. I’d been doing a bunch of back and forth on filtering, so maybe related to that somehow. I’ve got several of the multiple set cards in varying amounts, so I’m aware of that.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Fully built out RDW on Arena is nearly busted. I'm a very average player and have a winrate somewhere near 80%.

I’ve been doing pretty well with it, but I haven’t gone all out building it. I’m sitting on like 6-18 of each wildcard now though. What’s your list?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

I need one more rare to turn the 3rd Rigging Runner into a 4th Soul-Scar Mage.

Ah, I’ll have to check but I think I’m like -2 daredevils, -1 magma spray, -1 chainwhirler for +4 of the other 1 mana 2/2 dude right now.

Edit: oh and I was still running a few of the other deserts that ping for one, I should drop those with chainwhirlers though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Dude had lethal in hand on me last night and burned a whole series of timeouts over (what felt like) many minutes before finally revealing that yes, that last card he ripped was in fact a lightning strike. :shrug:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hey, so PSA, mashing shift-enter during your attack phase in Arena actually makes you swing with everything into your oppoonent's full board instead of passing priority like in every other phase :thumbsup:

edit: still went 7-1 in any case and got another Huatli, my 4th Muldrotha and a Yawgmoth's Vile Offering. What dumb sultai reanimatory things can I do in arena?

Hauki fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 7, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Speaking of arena beta I went nuts with a bunch of wildcards and crafted monowhite knights + Lyra the other day and it’s decently fun and doing very well so far. I still need to make another Marshal, etc. though. Once I have a bunch of extra rare wildcards to burn on lands I might try the BW version.

Was also messing around with a GW version including Shalai, but that keeps turning into more of a generic goodstuff deck. There’s also the inconvenient fact that you can’t realistically cast Marshals or Steel Leaf Champions on curve, so that makes either monocolor deck more attractive.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

If you're willing to blow the wildcards I bet 4 scattered groves, 4 sunpetal groves, and 4 unclaimed territories you could have some degree of consistency with this. 8 rare wildcards on lands is a bit steep though.

Yeah, I might if I run into a bunch, but I blew a ton of wild cards crafting the rest of the deck already. I think I’ve got like 16 ea. C/U, 0 rare and 2 or 3 mythic left at the moment. I wish you could like... upgrade or downgrade rarities somehow. Or just use a drat dust system.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

evilweasel posted:

you'd need to run the math but i suspect that for $30 you have a reasonably solid chance of a mythic wildcard plus other stuff you would want

I was honestly surprised at how many wildcards I got off $50. Probably at least 3-4 raw mythics, an assortment of lower rarities plus popping vault twice or so in the process. Not sure offhand how many actual mythics I got in the packs themselves, but a fair number. Granted, they were virtually all Muldrotha & Darigaaz but I’ve got playsets of those now? :shrug:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

More m19 commons slipped through

https://imgur.com/gallery/yDLb4TC

yep sure looks like a core set alright :geno:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

moush posted:

Don't be like me and use spacebar to go to the next phase, it just sent my entire team in to attack.

I made that PSA earlier in the thread, but always good for a reminder. 100% lost that game because of that.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

an_mutt posted:

So I opened a foil Teferi in my draft tonight, how likely is it that it'll keep its price? Or should I just get rid as soon as possible?

it’s a foil, I would drop it ASAP before it self-destructs

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Devor posted:

Which MTG Arena newbie deck should I use to start because the RW and BW both seemed to eat poo poo against decks that have good cards in them

BW vampires is what I ran to start, but other people have liked dinos or merfolk too for starter decks. All of them get much better with some amount of crafting though, even if it’s just C/U.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

cool, just lost a draft on arena because somehow I managed to like permanently pass all priority and never got the opportunity to use any instants or respond to anything for the rest of the match ?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

botany posted:

man the amount of people in arena who will straight up rope their turns if they are losing is insane

fixed

I’ve had numerous games where the dude forgot he queued or something and just never takes an action ever, or people who start spamming emotes and roping when they’ve got lethal in hand or even just a vaguely superior board presence

I just get up and go make a cup of tea or whatever

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

sometimes i just do something else at the same times and i forgot once

if we’re being honest, the number of times I’ve gotten high & queued up and then alt-tabbed to find a sweet song or whatever is nonzero

Hauki
May 11, 2010

whaaaat the fffffuuuucck spacebar

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

I tried building it right away since it relies on all commons and uncommons, it's seems really hard to make reliable.

This is dumb enough that I might have to try it anyway.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

A Moose posted:

You can add blue to play the pirate that tutors for equipment, and the vampire Forerunner. Shouldn't be that hard to draw the combo. Blue also allows you to play Negates to protect it

if mana fixing were better on arena i would absolutely do this

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

When scg stopped coming to the west coast scuttlebutt at the time was that it was a tax thing. My opinion is that the west coast is too spread out to make the circuit worth it.

what the hell is “the west coast scuttlebutt”

Hauki
May 11, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Man, I think I'm going to miss the current Arena format. And I'm not looking forward to having to get rare wildcards for stuff like Fatal Pushes.

Well for the short term at least it looks like you (and everyone else) are getting a playset of them.

I’m kinda curious why they’re giving out playsets of the stuff above, like I’m glad in the short-term because it makes it much easier to play actual decks immediately, but if they’re still trying to work on balancing economy it seems like it’ll only confuse the issue.

And what happens at actual launch as compared to this?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tainen posted:

Lee just posted that it's because the sets are releasing at a pace much faster than the economy is designed for.

https://twitter.com/mtg_lee/status/1001906927574528000

That’s all well and good, but again, what happens at release when we potentially have like six or seven sets available from day one?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

number one pta fan posted:

British/American empires are the Eldrazi. Thundering around distant lands, destroying anything of colour.

:perfect:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

botany posted:

is arena down or what

its probably down for the patch they’ve been talking about for weeks, yes

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gustav posted:

Increasing toughness is the part that makes it actually interesting though

baiting arena players into trying to burn out prowess dudes and then dumping a hand of cheap spells and swinging for 14 is what made wizards a fun deck there :smith:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Entropic posted:

I'm pretty sure that most of the instances people are complaining about with opponents slow-playing in Arena are actually just the game making GBS threads the bed.

I keep having games where it's my opponent's turn and it looks like they're sitting there doing nothing for a few minutes and then suddenly it's my turn and it's skipped a bunch of stuff as if it was me who was idling.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

uhhh so I went to do my first competitive draft, lost one game (not match), started to load into sideboard screen, popped up a quest claim and then immediately kicked me out and gave me a single prize pack, my run is ended. What the gently caress just happened?