Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you imagine it as being just continuous artifacts vs one-shot artifacts it kind of makes sense.

Poly artifacts are what happens when you try and shoe-horn "and you can use it multiple times!" into that directly instead of taking a step back and seeing if there's a better way to do the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
High DCI number spotted.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The masterpieces look less bad when you can actually read the text.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Being a throw-in to allow a 2/2 to trade up with a 3/3 or a 3/3 to trade up with a 4/4 can also be valuable. Is doing that twice and gaining two life worth a card?

If you have a powerful late-game deck that just needs a little help to survive to the late game it might be good enough, but it's definitely filler material rather than a card you go hunting for.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

EatinCake posted:

I like the reserved list, as it ensures some cards from the past will always retain their value,

Unlike all those valueless new cards like Tarmogoyf that get reprinted all the time, right?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Retromancer posted:

There are downsides, definitely, but if you get to untap with it even once it's such a weight on your opponent's gameplan and it can just grind them into dust with value. It feels like a planeswalker that's harder to interact with and gives value on your opponent's turn. It lets you get your colonnades live earlier and lets you leave tons of mana up for a big revelation at end of turn when you're ready to turn the corner.

You spent a card and three mana to do nothing, that's absolutely not a "weight on your opponent's gameplan" until at least two turns later where you can, if you spent literally all your mana on every turn in between, start actually recouping that investment.

If you have another bad card (Ancestral Vision) at the same time, then I can guess you can turn that combination into a literal Divination, which is definitely a worthwhile payoff for tapping out on turn 3 in modern.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Veyrall posted:

You're being overly dismissive of a powerful effect. But hey, I'm gonna put my money where my mouth is and buy up a UW control shell and run it. If I can find a decent, fairly competitive place to play, I'll even post updates on how it goes.

It's a powerful effect for sure, but it's only powerful on like turn 6 (and that's only after taking a turn off at a critical point in the game to cast it). The typical UW control deck has like one copy of one card that's only good in the late game.

I'll gladly eat crow if it turns out to be good. But I think it's just too slow to be building your deck around, and not good enough if you're not.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Welp, feeling vindicated in my decision to not get any amonkhet cards. See you after the pro tour.

Condolences to legacy players, should have been terminus.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

So if I'm reading this right, the big tradeoff here is more-or-less NAP gets priority first in the beginning of combat step - the onus is on them to reveal their action (if any) first.

Notably, now you should always say "combat?" before crewing your vehicles or activating manlands - your opponent has to decide if they want to do something before you attack, without knowing whether or not you were intending on activating them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I wonder if SCG is regretting putting all their eggs into the Standard basket.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just wait, they'll restrict Ichorid next.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Alris posted:

In a world without a banlist, what would the most disgustingly brutal Modern deck look like?

Elves with Glimpse and Skullclamp would be insane.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

80s James Hetfield posted:

I know it's impossible but I would like if a set just came out with no spoilers leading up to it and everyone find out that day what's in the set by what's in the pre-release packs

Isn't this what they're doing with the next masters set?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Retromancer posted:

He for real compared it to being raped and then said that I was the cancer that was driving him from the community.

And nothing of value was lost.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I definitely chucked at "Fallen Empires - $0"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Marketing New Brain posted:

I was talking about a completely different standard than this, you know, the one that had Mana Leak, 1 and 0 mana cantrips where Snappy was insane like he is in older formats. They rotated out Mana Leak and pretty much all of the good cheap spells specifically because of how good Snapcaster was, and it was STILL great. But yeah this clearly is not the format or deck I was talking about.

PT Dark Ascension had 4 Delver/Snapcaster decks in the top 8, 3 Primeval Titan decks, and 1 Birthing Bod deck. A bit under 1/3 of the players that went 9-1 or better in standard were playing it. That's a strong performance to be sure, but it certainly doesn't seem all-out busted.

e: More people were playing Geist of St. Traft than were playing Snapcaster Mage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So there was a big clarification post on the new combat shortcut: https://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2017/04/27/how-to-think-about-the-new-combat-shortcut/

It's still not clear to me what happens if you say "attackers" instead of "combat" in your main phase. The comments section implies that the answer is "gently caress you, you're still in beginning of combat, you were supposed to ask twice if you wanted to be able to declare attackers without tipping your hand", which seems really dumb.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PJOmega posted:

Errr, are you mistaking Aven Initiate (3U, 3/2 Flyer, Embalm 6U) with something else?

I don't think he's mistaking it for something else, given that a 3-power flyer that you get to re-cast if they answer it the first time is fantastic in pretty much any format.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah, control decks need to be able to line up their answers against opposing threats in order to do well. Standard control decks work because the format is narrow and you can tailor the available answers to match up well against the format. Legacy control decks (used to) work because you had powerful yet widely-applicable answers that worked against basically everything. Modern control decks don't work.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Running one extra land equates to about a 50 percent chance at having one fewer spell in the late game.

If you get flooded and would have needed two more spells to turn a loss into a win, cutting a land wouldn't have done poo poo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elyv posted:

My guess is that top 8 seeding for limited GPs is random so that you don't draft against specifically your quarterfinals opponent.

Round 1 in a draft pod is always supposed to be against the person seated opposite you. So you know who that's going to be when you're drafting.

Though they randomise seating for top 8 drafts so people don't try to get seated next to their teammate in order to collude in the draft portion.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

JerryLee posted:

Well, for one thing, this would mean that games could only be ended by cards/abilities that explicitly lose or win a player the game, since losing to life total, poison, decking, etc. are all SBEs. :v:

Or it acts as an Abyssal Persecutor sort of deal where you're just in limbo until it gets off the board.

Make it a creature instead of an enchantment for bigger fun times.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pretty sure that the proxies at least are going to stop, or otherwise that whole "sanctioning" thing won't last particularly long.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Mardu was always medium-to-bad against everything that wasn't Saheeli.

I'm not sure why someone would pick a deck that has no positive matchups as their deck to play at the pro tour though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Count Bleck posted:

Maybe I should start asking for Aether Revolt packs for winnings at my LGS instead of Amonkhet.

Not quite, but probably as more Amonkhet gets opened and prices start to dip.

Aether Revolt has the Dragon's Maze problem where almost all the cards are worth gently caress-all.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Those big white cardshop-grade storage boxes are good for storing lots of cards. Just chuck cards in there sorted by set and collector number, and always be able to find the card you're looking for without much hassle. Not so great for collection browsing though, you'll probably want to use some sort of collection tracker to know what money cards you already have.

From experience, I wouldn't recommend storing work-in-progress decks somewhere separate. That's just a really easy way to lose track of cards. Just keep full decks that you're actually playing separate in labeled deckboxes, and when you break down a deck to use some of the cards elsewhere, break it down entirely and put the unused cards back in the right place. If you still have the decklist it's going to be really easy to put it back together if all the cards are sorted away properly anyway.

I don't do trades, but if I did it'd just be in a binder and making sure to note in the collection manager that they're in your trade binder instead of in bulk storage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pretty rigid. Getting rid of the worst card in your deck makes it more likely that you'll draw the best cards in your deck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DangerDongs posted:

Wouldn't an early Flaying Tendrils kill the lord, and in turn make them all 2/2 again? The mastery would protect everything but crypt breakers and wanderers.

The lord is a 2/3.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think there is zero chance they make a Nicol Bolas planeswalker that is not playable in someone's Nicol Bolas EDH deck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PJOmega posted:

Yeah that should be a game loss at comp REL. Hell, I'd have a very animated talk with the player and be discussing intent at that point.

I don't think it's a game loss. If the player is trying to pull a fast one, it's a DQ. If it was legitimately an accident (seems unlikely given what we know, but for completeness...), then it's a Hidden Card Error, and the fix is to reveal all six cards to the opponent, and have them choose which three were in the hand and which three were on top of the deck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Wizards seem to have figured out that making FNM promos be cards people actually want to play is a good idea. Renegade Rallier and Fatal Push as the August/September promos.

(July is Reverse Engineer. I guess they can't all be winners.)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sit on my Facebook posted:

Free Mental Misstep

actually, it costs 2 life

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly I'll keep almost any Fevered Visions hand on the play, the extra cards go a long way to fixing any problems you had. I'll also keep reunion + another discard outlet if the rest of the hand is good and hope to dig into a zombie.

You can grind pretty well against anything that isn't Marvel, while turboing out a deep fiend is certainly powerful it's not like you need to mulligan aggressively for it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That wrath would be really good except for the fact that the scary aggro threats are immune to sorcery-speed removal

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Siivola posted:

That's legit really neat, thanks.

I've got a question, though. When you say according to the data we should play UWx Control "45.24% of the time", what would that mean in practical terms? Does it win 45.24% of all tournaments?

If you don't know the metagame, and you pick a deck based on that table (e.g. roll a d1000, play UWx if it's a 1-452, etc.) you'll have an overall 50% matchup-based winrate. Even if it's a really weird meta like all-Abzan, the 45% chance that you pick UWx and have a bad day is balanced out by the 28% chance you pick Ad Nauseam and win everything easily, and it all averages out to 50%.

You can also look at it as what the equilibrium metagame "should be", so if you know exactly how it's going to differ (e.g. less Abzan, more UWx) you can pick a deck to exploit that difference and give yourself a better expected winrate.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The local store only announces exact prize payouts after everyone's signed up, but it's fine because the structure is always the same:

- prize pool is about equal to total entry fees
- store credit goes to the top 4-5 (5 if there are >12 players - essentially, if you go 3-1 you're going to get credit, if you go 2-1-1 or even 2-2 in some cases you might get credit depending on breakers, how other players end up in the standings, etc.)
- everyone who doesn't get credit gets a pack (deducted at retail from the prize pool)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ad Nauseum is apparently the deck's worst matchup so it might be worth it? It's fine against most decks that aren't packing red too.

I'm not sure how it beats Ad Nauseam tbh

first of all you need to playing against someone who doesn't bring in Echoing Truth, and then you need to also have some way to beat lightning storm to kill gideon with a labman followup

Jabor fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 9, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

little munchkin posted:

game 1 they might not have echoing truth and storm + labman is a shitload of mana

but yea a lot of people are dumb and don't realize that if a good ad nauseam player is capable of drawing their entire deck, you're probably dead no matter what

oh this is maindeck? that seems even worse.

it's not even a "shitload of mana" though, like if ad nauseam is going off turn 4 they can play their 4th land, pitch spirit guides to lightning storm gideon, and then pass the turn with a hand of angel's grace, lab man, cantrip, untapped land, 3x pact of negation and you somehow have to fight through all of those to stop them winning next turn

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I got Bloodblood Blooder :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bonus posted:

I really don't understand the people clamoring for a Death's Shadow ban already. It seems like with the recent bannings, people now just want to ban the best deck every B&R update, even if it's just 10% of the meta and not oppressive at all.

The crowd has had a taste of blood, and now believes that if the complaints are loud enough, they can bend wotc to their whims.

Basically expect to see a lot of people saying "they should ban {thing I don't like playing against}" until wizards manages to make a Standard that doesn't suck and we get back to "no bans" being the norm.