Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

I know a lot of people have bounced off MM17 draft, either voluntarily or not, but I'm curious what BR is supposed to do as a color group. The theme seems to be sacrifice, but the payoffs just don't seem good. The only token enabler I remember is Dragon Fodder, the payoff is Mortician Beetle, and the sac outlets don't seem to affect the board like even a simple Penumbra Spider. I've only drafted it 3 times, but I have never seen anyone force it successfully, even when it seems open.

Every masters set has a handful of extremely awful archetypes. In MM3 the point of BR is splashing for removal cards and dinrova horrors.

Has there ever been a sacrifice archetype that actually worked? I remember it being awful in origins and BFZ as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tainen posted:

Come on guys. I said I played a bit of the ios game. I know the first rule is that if you are not happy with your first mulligan you just restart the match.

its a little different in paper. the proper action is to announce to your opponent that this always happens to you then claim that you even added/removed lands to compensate for it

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

I'm pretty sure Sacred Cat is bad because two chumps and two life isn't actually that good. Servo Expedition and other cards that make two 1/1s let you have them at the same time so they can double block an x/2. With Sacred Cat you'll never get both 1/1s at once so unless there's a bunch of x/1s running around its on board impact is minimal.

On the other hand I think they underrated the white monument because it'll generate way more tokens and you don't need to be white to get use of it.

Maybe its good if theres a lot of x/x-1s in the set where the cat trades up with some help but that seems extremely optimisic and the card is probably just bad

Jabor posted:

Being a throw-in to allow a 2/2 to trade up with a 3/3 or a 3/3 to trade up with a 4/4 can also be valuable. Is doing that twice and gaining two life worth a card?

You're trading 3 cards for 2 in that scenario and even then the stars have have to align for that to happen.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 20, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

Now rip it in half

came here to post this, only way to be sure it's real

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

Nah, wait for 4cSaheeli to be packing Magma Spray and Manglehorn and we'll see how well Mardu chugs

it's cool how the strong answers to the two extremely oppressive decks in standard all happen to slot perfectly into one of those extremely oppressive decks

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

More reasons why MTGSalvation is terrible. Man known for excellent Merfolk content posts a discussion video about Soul-Scar Mage and Harsh Mentor gets banned because someone flagged his post for solicitation followed up with some playful jabs at his tude.

He even mentions MTGS is a terrible shithole.

Does he actively contribute to the forums? Tbqh a sensationalist statement that links to your youtube channel is pretty obnoxious if he's not a regular. Even if he's a regular I don't want to watch his lovely clickbait.

I don't read anything there besides the single-deck discussions for decks I play. That's what everyone should do probably.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mikujin posted:

I've already solved the new standard meta game, ask me anything.

why

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah, he posted frequently in the Merfolk thread, offering advice and posting gameplay videos of Merfolk, going as far as so do write ups for sideboard guides and decklists for metas.

He contributed a lot.

that's dumb then

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Xaerael posted:

Is there anything other than Pithing needle and uncounterable removal that can deal with Modern Ad Nauseum in mono red? Because I'm at a loss how to deal with this poo poo without counterspells or hand disruption.

Specifically 8 whack.

To disrupt Ad Nauseam you need to be attacking their hand or their mana. Artifact Hate or Molten Rains are your best bet.

Pithing needle is ok but they can still win through it (either through Lab Maniac or Echoing Truth on the needle). Both of these kills more mana, so needle is just slowing them down a bit. Be wary of playing any sideboard hate that doesn't stop them from drawing their whole deck, most likely there is a card in the 75 that beats your sideboard hate.

Run Smash to Smithereens or Molten Rain if you want but don't dilute your Plan A too much. If you have a ton of sideboard hate but no clock, you're probably less favored then if you just have a fast goldfish kill. Don't run needle, both players sitting around doing nothing does not favor you.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Boxman posted:

What happened there, anyway? I stopped playing for maybe 9 months and when I came back apparently Pucatrade started being completely worthless. Was it just the point inflation thing people were worried about early on? Because prices look somewhat reasonable.

Sickening posted:

Inflation and bounties. They just couldn't find a way to balance the economy while making money. Once the free user experience went to poo poo it was destined to go this way.

Prices are the same so it's not exactly inflation, but it's got the same issue that trading irl dies. Just because tcgmid says that these 30 cards combined are the same value as a snapcaster, nobody would actually take that trade. People started having to offer bounties to actually get expensive staples.

The economic issues were going to kill it eventually, but the site redesign really sped things up. People gave them a ton of kickstarter money, but the site revamp came out broken and behind schedule. The site was just down for a while while they fixed stuff and combined with unease about the sites economy people just didn't come back. The new site is awful, they took a clean and functional design and replaced it with a shiny over-engineered mess. Websites shouldn't have loading times. Ever since the redesign,I've only received commons for pauper and basic lands. I'm stuck with 30$ (theoretically) worth of points but managed to build a couple cheap modern decks through the site before the bubble burst.

A friend of mine does a lot of trading on the Discord channel for Pucatrade. No actual points, just card for card but it's pretty active.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

You currently need to be an 'active trader' for your wants to show up to other users, and what an 'active trader' is hasn't been defined but you have to send out a number of cards to other users. This is colossally stupid. Someone like me who wants large numbers of lovely bulk commons and is willing to send out a few high priced EDH junk is the perfect person for the Pucatrade market, and the entire site is worthless because even if I sent out a few cards, no one can see the stuff I want.

so if you've got a bunch of points tied up in the site, the only way to use them is to send out more cards to people

very cool

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Wanted to touch base and thank you for the useful resources - I read the article, watched the video, lost my first game, and I'm still interested so there's that.

I have a limited base of how the game is played to build off now, so I'm curious about (casual) deck building - good strategies for beginners to pursue, most efficient products to look for, etc. Whether you have the time to reply or not, thanks for the time regardless.

Do you want to go to game stores to play, or do you just want to jam games with some friends?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

St0rmD posted:

If your plan is to play casual, find out what your friends are playing, and maybe ask to borrow a deck while you figure out what top build for yourself. If most of your friends don't play, you're going to mostly get you're games in at your local shop, which will range from slightly less casual to down right spiky, depending on your shop. If that's the case, you can buy into a budget deck for whatever format is popular to start learning and then upgrade into better decks to attack your local meta game as you figure it out and your budget allows.

Yea this is kind of what I was getting at.

Also if you're going to stores, I'd recommend attending a few drafts before you even start looking into a constructed deck. It'll be a cheap way to get some games in and find out if you enjoy it enough to sink a bunch more money into a deck. Talk to the people there to find out which formats are popular.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

please don't sent hatemail to these people when they finally do something good for once

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Procrastinator posted:

:justpost:

If you want to show how cool and good you are, share your actual opinion instead of tearing down something else.

sit on my Facebook posted:

You must be new to this thread

He freely admits that he made that list without ever actually drafting the set, lol. Unless you are really new to drafting, it is legitamitely not helpful. At least read the LSV reviews where he explains the cards a little bit. Karsten's article is just images of the cards in a mostly arbitrary order.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I have not played the set at all yet, but in my expert opinion the 3/3 flyer that embalm for 5 mana is extremely good, and you should draft them if glory-bringer is not available

that blue 2/3 for 2 that embalms is pretty nuts as well

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

InterrupterJones posted:

He still has an incredibly punch-worthy face. (even if less so)

i know i've said this before but this is an incredibly normal and not weird at all thing for an adult to say

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
*guy who's never been in a fight in his life voice* this guy's face is so bad that I'm going to do kung-fu style punches and kicks on it despite never exercising and either being extremely fat or extremely skinny

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

FordCQC posted:

So I played in the SCG Modern Classic this weekend and had a pretty interesting revelation upon speaking with my opponents. Almost all of them (and several tablemates) had drove 2-5 hours just to come play in the Modern Classic. None of them were guys that scrubbed out on Saturday and stuck around to play more. Further, they all had come the night before (since the tourney started at 9 AM) so they were paying for hotel rooms too.

For me the even was only on the other side of town so a pretty easy drive at 8 AM on a Sunday, but I was stunned there were so many people willing to spend so much time/money to play in a tournament that only rewarded prize wall tickets. I don't know if it reflects poorly on them, or well on SCG that they're running the right events. Oh, and the Modern event was like 25% bigger than the Standard Classic (not day 2 of the open).

I did that for the Worcester modern open (except replace hotel room with waking up at 5:45). Good competition is hard to come by. Sure the prizing is a joke but that's true for any convention-center size event.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

FordCQC posted:

Yeah I guess I didn't look at it that way. We're pretty spoiled in the greater Atlanta metro area for options to play Magic.

As a side note, take a look at this spicy meatball from the classic: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=113271

that builds been going around for a while

sun titan -> get back saheeli -> clone sun titan, attack with hasted clone -> get two more things back seems like pretty good value to me

also skred red in the finals maybe people will start respecting as an actual deck now they won't

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Star Man posted:

People just refuse to respect Blood Moon and it's great.

I feel like it's the opposite, everyone seems to think that the deck is all-in on Moon and ignore how powerful stuff like Relic+Scourge and turn 3 koths/chandras are. Like I don't even play with moons mainboard for low-stakes events because the card is legit not fun.

Count Bleck posted:

Yes, make my Snow-Covered Mountains GROW In value

Scrying Sheets was the real investment, they've tripled since the GP win. Koth has doubled as well.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

uninverted posted:

RG breach and RG scapeshift are very similar, but the blue builds are their own thing. Speaking of which, why isn't anyone playing Bring to Light (or RUG) scapeshift right now?

turns out shocking yourself a bunch, then paying 5 mana for a 4 mana spell is not a good gameplan

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

His point is that putting a narrow/conditional card in your deck (disenchant, plummet, trumpet blast, threaten, force spike, etc) is a risk and that deck building decisions should have consequences. But with cycling, those same cards (forsake the worldly, stinging shot, pursue glory, limits of solidarity, censor, etc) can be in your deck without consequence. You can put the "wrong" card in your deck and not get punished for it.

On top of that, he argues that those cards existing makes game 1s higher in variance because your build around enchantment gets dunked on by a main deck Forsake the Worldly that would never be there if it didn't have cycling and now you don't even have a game plan.

oh no, trap cards arent actually traps and I have to actually evaluate them instead of ignoring a bunch of chaff in every pack :cry:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

You don't have to evaluate them at all. You just stuff em in your deck and if they're not immediately useful you cycle them.

:byodood: Letting me put cards in my deck for no reason is good game play!!!!!!!!!

action in your deck is a limited resource and cycling is a very real cost. put too much nonsense in your deck and you'll end up flooding out

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
*Morpheus from the matrix voice* what if standard is always bad

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Cracker Baron posted:

Would love advise as I look to improve.

i think you chose your colors well, red and blue have some sweet stuff but are way too shallow, better to play your two deepest colors since it lets you splash as well

imo the trial with just one cartouche wasn't a good idea. people play a lot of bad cards in sealed and trading 1-for-1 with their worst creature is not a good deal, especially with embalm and lots of token generators in the set. I would have preferred to play Horror of the Broken Lands, big bodies with cycling are always good.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

chicago makes more sense to me then friggin' ohio, who the gently caress wants to go there for anything

Sickening posted:

I think Cedric Phillips has a little to do with it.

both scg events and gps avoid major us cities for what i assume are financial reasons

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Cactrot posted:

I'd never played the deck in any format, but attacking with large dumb creatures seemed like fun, and it was cheap and simple. I made a grave error on how enjoyable it would actually be to play though.

if its any consolation, your opponents had even less fun than you did

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

I don't know what his particular list is but isn't one of the draws of the UW build the fact that you can tutor for and cast a free Balance?

I don't know what you're hoping to gain in black over white, but if you want the black that much I'd say just go full Esper. I don't think it's worth giving up Supreme Verdict and Elspeth in a super controlling deck.

Yea you play white for Restore Balance, As Fortold with only Ancestral Visions for payoff seems not worth it.

With balance you want planeswalkers for your wincon, since it has the potential to eat your lands and restrict mana for colonnades.

I agree that I'm not sure what U/B brings to the table that esper or grixis doesn't do better.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Pozzo's deck was just garbage. He had to just play that rather than do nothing and wait to die.

yea he clearly had nothing else to cast, and juza is even more likely to have countermagic if you let him spend the turn digging

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Apropos of nothing: what's the pick here?

Fan Bearer
Tah-crop Skirmisher
Minotaur Sureshot
Djeru's Resolve
Dune Beetle
Greater Sandworm
Winds of Rebuke
Final Reward
Binding Mummy
Dissenter's Deliverance
Ruthless Sniper
Bontu's Monument
Seraph of the Suns
Rags // Riches

My friend gave me a pack for driving him home last night from FNM and I opened this. Is Rags // Riches that good? -2/-2 seems like it just doesn't have as much reach, and getting your opponents worst creature for 7 seems real average.

What would you guys take?

Rags is powerful but its going. to be difficult to draft enough creatures that survive it while still having enough anti-aggro cards. Riches is awful.

Its close between fan bearer and final reward.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Jason Chung loses to the Ulamog he forgot to exile with Lost Legacy. It's possible he left it in because he assumed he couldn't hardcast it, though.

there's no place Ulamog could be where leaving it would have an upside. Guessing he just forgot to check at the hand when casting it. I've done that before with crumble.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Yes there is. Lost Legacy would cause you to draw a card and if you assume it's 100% dead in his hand (having looked at his hand and knowing what is in it), perhaps you'd rather not give him anything.

oh yea, I don't play standard so I forgot it let you draw

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

little munchkin posted:

*Morpheus from the matrix voice* what if standard is always bad

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

real cool that an awesome person is leaving WOTC while trick jarret is still allowed to work

trick is a whipping boy for whatever dumb poo poo wotc upper management wants to force on their customers, he does a good job of it so there's no reason to let him go. pretty much the roger goodell of magic

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

In continued "lol WotC software" news, the draft visualizer on their website is hard-coded to only handle 8-person pods so they can't post drafts from the Team Draft Super League:

https://twitter.com/mtg_lee/status/865081035775590400

No worries though, some random fan was able to write his own custom visualizer in a few hours for free!

https://twitter.com/flooey/status/865306484527308802

not disagreeing with your main point about wotc being incompetent, but flooey has been working on his draft viewer for at least a year

lol though at randy just going "cool, can you please add these custom features for free, thx"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

In continued "lol WotC software" news, the draft visualizer on their website is hard-coded to only handle 8-person pods so they can't post drafts from the Team Draft Super League:

https://twitter.com/mtg_lee/status/865081035775590400

No worries though, some random fan was able to write his own custom visualizer in a few hours for free!

https://twitter.com/flooey/status/865306484527308802

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Modern classic had 3 company decks in top 8 and two different versions of hatebears. Kinda hoping the company numbers drop a bit so I don't have to play the mirror all the time. Maybe I'll eventually go back to hatebears.

The eldrazi taxes list from the classic is absurdly greedy. You must have to run so hot to place at a big event with 20 lands total and only 11 white sources.