Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

If they got the old artists to do modern takes on their old art, without the restrictive house art style, I would be really excited. But as it stands, it will likely be all your old favorite cards with new style art so that they are unrecognizable.

However if they did a modern/old border hybrid thing somehow, like timeshifted cards, that would be extremely up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mark Tedin is a cool guy, he shows up to most big events in the northwest. I asked him why he hasn't been featured on more cards recently and apparently Wizards just stopped calling :sigh:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Siivola posted:

Here's another you'll probably dislike:

The joke here is, both Stone and Meehan literally work with 3D models. That's why the lighting is so stark and the shadows so sharp. This isn't the art director pushing a lame style, that's just how these people work. In this same set you'll find literal oil paintings by artists like Howard Lyon and Volkan Baga and hey, those look like oil paintings.

That looks straight out of a 90's Black Isle Studios game's intro video.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

If you know Joe Lossett personally, please reach out to him today and make sure he is okay.

At the very least half of the next standard season is going to go into the toilet. You are welcome shop owners.

Gonna petition my LGS TO to run modern alongside Standard on Fridays, in the interest of keeping the store open.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Siivola posted:

What if they're not banning anything because they're afraid that without Cat, nothing would spring up to challenge Mardu? :tinfoil:

So they should have also banned Gideon or something.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

80s James Hetfield posted:

The problem is your playing a goofy SaffronOlive that only works online in queues where he matches up against random people.

He never actually plays any of those against the odds or budget magic decks in tournament rooms.

People bring his standard/modern decks all the time to FNM and wonder why they don't work like they do in his videos

Mr.Turbofog is right, you have to bring a deck that is tested in the meta to have a chance. Take your funhaving, nonsense budget deck somewhere else.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Its just a hard matchup. Your opponents fog cards kind of wreck you. Through some leyline of punishment in your sideboard as a 4 of. Its fun and it might help in these situations.

Its also useful in other matchups but the main point its unexpected and fun, which is the point of your deck.

I don't think this does anything, as neither Angel's Grace or Phyrexian unlife are damage prevention effects.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

clamiam45 posted:

It's clear to me now that Nicol Bolas's plan all along has been to destroy standard.

I would legit love it if there were some Grant Morrison-esque deal where Bolas had learned that he was a character in a poorly written story and his master plan was to destroy it from the inside by preventing people from playing.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mossyfisk posted:

I love these guys, but the one which always gets me is 'no tribal'. I just cannot fathom the logic.

Big shout out to Mr "STILL MUTED FOR HARASSING NON GREETERS IF YOU DON'T GREET I WILL CURSE AT YOU AND TIME OUT"

These are the same people that would vote to ban you if you didn't use the bow emote before a lightsaber fight in Jedi Knight 2.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Star Man posted:

That is the money shot right there.

Send them a seven course dinner for 12 with "remove the reserve list spelled out in spaghetti" spelled out in spaghetti.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I really hope that's just a plot thread that ends up with bolas having created the eldrazi for his master plan and we never actually see them again.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

UberJew posted:

legacy literally can't skyrocket in popularity

there are only so many duals in print

i could believe that it's skyrocketed in interest, as somebody who quite likes the idea of legacy but can't blow thousands of dollars on a lands deck

I'm in the same camp, I think this thing looks like tons of fun, but I can't afford to blow $1600 on the seven cards I don't have for it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yeah Saffron Olive is great and you guys are a bunch of Johnny Rainclouds

The problem that this thread has with him is that he audibly has fun while playing Magic, which is heretical

He's having fun playing wacky goofball decks, which is cool and good.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I thought the bit on the top ban was good

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So I had time to look around at my parents house today. Hypothetically speaking, what would you recommend someone do with 13 Revised dual lands in NM/M condition?

Make a couple car payments or get rid of some debt and never give magic a second thought.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

little munchkin posted:

i know i've said this before but this is an incredibly normal and not weird at all thing for an adult to say

Backpfeifengesicht

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

They banned Sol Ring, watch the EDH people lose their poo poo.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Hi and welcome to the pacific northwest where we may get one GP a year and scg explicitly pulled out.

But the 1K's!

No, they are not remotely comparable.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah at least we have legacy. Go Jordan!

The Legacy (and to a lesser extent the Modern) 1K's were a direct result of SCG ditching the west coast entirely though, so we traded a twice yearly large event for a series of smaller, monthly events.

I think it is actually a fair trade, as there is better food at both MBH locations than there would be at a convention center.

Tainen posted:

Gotta get on the Pauper. There was a big tournament last weekend in Seattle and there is another one in 2 weeks in Bellevue. I watched a bit of it on twitch and it looked pretty fun.

I did this on Saturday, I thought Bogles would be a fun deck to play. It is not a fun deck and I hated it.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 8, 2017

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Hellsau posted:

Why would you think Bogles would be fun to play? It's the least fun deck in Modern, and it's not like it gets anything more fun from Pauper.

I'd never played the deck in any format, but attacking with large dumb creatures seemed like fun, and it was cheap and simple. I made a grave error on how enjoyable it would actually be to play though.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

little munchkin posted:

if its any consolation, your opponents had even less fun than you did

Most fun of the day was actually after dropping from the tournament and picking up a few of the Card Kingdom Battle Decks. A friend and I each picked a random Battle Deck, shuffled them up and played them without looking at any of the cards in them. They're well balanced against each other and a blast to play with.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

So if I'm playing Legacy and Modern in Vegas I have to bring two different deck boxes rather than one double deck box. Or use different sleeves.

Daang.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

"we should be in an ad break right N-"

*Ad begins*

*is actually a 'What's the pick' graphic*

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I swear the music they are playing in the background of the team profiles is lifted from Sunless Sea.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

Of course the only video that is completly unwatchable on the PS4 Twitch app is the content and not their loving 3 commercials that they play over and over again.

Does it do that thing where it ignores the screen size system setting and just cuts off every edge for you too?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Where's the fun in rip it or flip it? Is it just for a dumb thrill like Russian Roulette?

Edit: Or is it to give the gift of Schadenfreude to others in your immediate vicinity? That guy in the background of the first photo looks like he's having a great time.

It's basically so you can post "lol u mad?" whenever someone points out how dumb it is.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Foma posted:

Off the top of my head, you set the goals and metrics to the expectations you want. If you want to see less banned cards and a more diverse standard you separate banning from R&D and you judge their employee evaluations off those metrics. I personally would not set to those metrics because you meet them by making a boring weak set.

I have been inundated with business / management speak for too long, because this made perfect sense to me :sigh:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Card Kingdom wrote about my IRL Momir Vig deck!

I love this thing, it's goofy and fun as hell.

I can attest to this paper momir set being cool and good and hell of a lot of fun to play.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tainen posted:

There are a lot of seattle people in here. I might have to head out to Card Kingdom soon. As a new player I am really interested in the Amonkhet league they have starting Sunday night but it's kind of a far drive (Tacoma area) and it really isn't worth it if there are not a bunch of other people also doing it. I went to a few of my local shops and no one ever showed up during the event times to do it.

I don't think I'm overstating it when I say that both Card Kingdom (Now Mox Boarding House Seattle) and Mox Boarding House Bellevue are the best game stores within five hundred miles, maybe the entire west coast?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ShaneB posted:

Haven't been to those, but Guardian Games in Portland is absolutely absurd.

Having been to both, this is another situation where Portland is playing catch up to it's adult brother.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I loved playing Sligh during Khans standard at Mox because it meant my matches were over in 7 minutes and I could hang out in the bar until new pairings went up

This is also why I always play aggro decks.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I hope this is a typo, if it isn't don't do this.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Where is a good spot to get German cards shipped to the US? I kinda need a playset of Harscher Mentors.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Soul Glo posted:

I'm honestly surprised they get to take the trophy home, and it's not some sorta weird MTV Movie Awards situation where they just recycle the poo poo later.

They get the topper, the base with all the names stays with wizards.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Watch, Duress was printed in some welcome deck or something and nobody noticed that it was legal this whole time.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Siivola posted:

Letting Seth datamine league results would kill Standard and probably also Modern, so in a sense Forsythe is not wrong.

Just imagine MTGS, but every poster is suicidesteve calling everyone not playing Marvel idiots.

It didn't seem to kill Standard when they were using bots to watch every replay on MTGO and analyze the results. But Wizards asked them to stop anyway.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

What's the right wording on the +2? I've seen people saying it is "non-land card" and others saying it is "creature card," if it is creature card that card will be busted vs the normal control decks in standard where they're running 4 creatures preboard and maybe 7 creatures post board - exile their lands, counters, draw spells and steal their finisher.

Seems to say Non-land card.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fnm is five bucks, 4-0 payout is like $20 in store credit. They put it on a gift card that you can immediately spend on beer at the bar :cool:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Subways Jared posted:

My LGS is $5 for FNM standard/modern FNM here in Texas.

On a seperate note- Should I be leaving after losing my first match in a 4 round standard FNM? If I lose my first match, I usually split because I thought only the top 4 get prizes, and someone who goes L-W-W-W, 3-1 isn't going to get any prize packs.

So is it actually possible to go 3-1 and still walk out of an FNM with prizes? Our FNM's have about 20-30 players.

This is the pay out at my store, there's no top X nonsense and I think it is pretty fair.

4-0-0 = $20 Store Credit or 8 Booster packs
3-0-1 = $15 Store Credit or 6 Booster packs
3-1-0 = $10 Store Credit or 4 Booster packs
2-1-1 = 2 Booster packs
2-2-0 = 1 Booster pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

If they ban anything right before GP Vegas I'm assuming there will be some pissed off people there. Not like there ever is a time when bannings won't piss people off but If they do people will be scrambling to the vendors at Vegas for cards to play in the standard event

They would be hilariously dumb to announce a new modern/legacy banning right before a GP and not have them become effective the following Monday.

So I do actually expect this to happen.