Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Controversial take: they could have printed planeswalkers who are not Bolas, but are also not Standard's third copy of each member of the Jacetice League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, but they've addressed this already. Something we'll see them fix next block. You can only move so fast when you have to do simultaneous worldwide releases of physical product in a dozen languages.

It's not exactly hard to realize in advance that printing four different Nissas (five counting the intro deck) in a less-than-two-year period is too much. This isn't something that would require a sudden pivot if they weren't blindly cargo culting the MCU as hard as they possibly can.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yes we all want more of such memorable characters and Arlinn Kord and Dovin Baan and Saheeli Rai.

But seriously though, Sorin Nahiri and ObNix are ok.

I'd rather have weird one-offs like Arlinn Kord that are at least trying to do something unique than yet another iteration of Gideon turning into a creature until end of turn.

TheChirurgeon posted:

My point is, I think you're asking for more than they're capable of producing with the available staff and resources.

Magic is not a small product, and Wizards is not a small company. If they lack the necessary resources, it's because they have chosen not to bother with them, not because there's just no possible way for them to hire a writer.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 18, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

dragon enthusiast posted:

What if Interrupts and Mana Sources and all that good poo poo were still in the game

Tarmogoyf's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in all graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1. (The card types are artifact, global enchantment, instant, interrupt, land, local enchantment, mana source, sorcery, and summon.)

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sacred Cat feels kinda like one of those cards like Servo Exhibition that gives you two 1/1 tokens for 1W. In total it asks you to spend two mana, including a requirement of one white mana source, to get two 1/1's. Of course, it's different in that the tokens are on the field separately instead of together, so it's not giving you two power worth of creatures on turn two. But that also means thatm in terms of the turn you play it, it's competing for space with other one-drops instead of with two-drops. And it has Liflink. Even before factoring in its other synergies (Cat type, Zombie type, discard/mill), I'd be surprised if it weren't playable.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I wonder if investor3 from mtgs is still :spergin: over masters reprints not being real cards.

In ten boxes of Kaladesh I did not get one copy of Nissa, only got one Chandra, and then got playsets of several of the mythic rares. There should be on average 3 copies of each mythic in ten boxes of a set with 15 mythics.

In previous sets the distribution was really even with a similar amount of boxes. In Eldritch Moon I got pretty much exactly three copies of each mythic with nine boxes of the set. With twelve boxes of Shadows I also got a very even distribution of everything.

But then in Kaladesh it seemed much more random. Have they taken new measures to mix up boosters within boxes and boxes within cases?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

its me glenda posted:

i think he cracks boxes for his store

i hope

Cards are only available in boosters. I don't pay other people to sort through packs for me and give me specific cards. You play with what you pull. If Wizards wanted it differently they'd have a singles store online.

From the beginning of Magic, the packaging style of the cards was intended to be part of how the game works, an element of the fun/collectible aspect of it. Players would play with the cards that they were lucky enough to find in their booster packs. Buying singles kills that entire aspect of the game.

I understand that constructing the best deck possible and purchasing singles to physically build it is a legitimate thing as well, but there's no denying that even without cards you open yourself being magically "soulbound" to you, there's a difference between possessing a highly collectible card that you cracked yourself vs. having the same card because you bought it as a single.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

mandatory lesbian posted:

You can pay for abilities after actually activating the abilities, so does that mean you can pay for Tinder Wall's ability with Tinder Wall itself?

You can't sacrifice TInder Wall twice, so that doesn't work.

If that weren't an issue, though -- say, if you wanted to activate Epitaph Golem's ability and needed to sacrifice Epitaph Golem itself to Ashnod's Altar in order to do so -- then I think that would be legal.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

During the prerelease, I had an opponent say he thought that you need to declare what creatures are going to be exerted before you attack, letting the opponent respond with tappers and the like, but I thought that you declare exert as you attack, after it would be too late to do that. It ended up not being an issue because he just agreed with what I said, but I'm curious about how exert triggers get put on the stack. Do they go on whenever you attack with an exert creature, and as they resolve you decide whether or not to actually exert? And if it's declared that a creature is going to be exerted, does that mean it's already resolved and it's too late to respond?

You exert at the moment you attack. If you do exert, the actual positive benefit you get from exerting uses the stack as a triggered ability ("When you do,") but the choice of whether or not to exert does not use the stack.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GonSmithe posted:

As dumb as most of their other decisions are, I have to say they've been doing well in the flavor department when it comes to creature types. Zombie Jackal is a cool creature type and it reminds me that this is a cool fantasy card game.

No Jackal God, no deal. :colbert:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TheChirurgeon posted:

Same with the FLGS near me. They didn't fire off a single standard event last week

Sounds like we need more data. Maybe this is the month where Temur Tower will shine.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

cheetah7071 posted:

Was wizards ever good at making sets or was the perceived goodness just a combination of the pre-internet world and dumb luck?

Up until BFZ, standard was typically quite diverse. The whole "Standard consists of exactly 2.5 decks and nothing beats them" thing has only really happened for the last year and a half or so, and it's not like we didn't have the internet and a massive playerbase when Tarkir was coming out.

It's too generous to say that this is just because of a couple isolated slips, though. A lot of conscious design decisions brought us here. Felidar Guardian may be a random accident, but Emrakul is a direct result of wizards deliberately pushing the power level of its ~storyline~ cards and refusing to print any sort of decent removal, answers, or hate.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Emrakul is one of the missing gods, but the other two are Smuggler's Copter and Reflector Mage.

Tomorrow they'll make an emergency retcon to the story article to mention a fourth missing god.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Siivola posted:

A problem there is, you need to cast the second Approach from your hand to win. So you need seven mana, six energy and one Approach in hand before you can start rolling the Marvel to see if you win.

Instead of rolling the Marvel hoping to hit Approach, you could just cast the Approach you already have to put it seventh in your library, use Marvel to get rid of the top six cards of your library, then draw and cast Approach the following turn.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Count Bleck posted:

This is fair. But then, don't most limited formats have Dumb Bomb Rare That Warps Games It Exists In?

Not really, and certainly not to the same degree. Theros had nothing that compared to Pack Rat.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GonSmithe posted:

There are a bunch of cards with Landfall that don't say Landfall

There's a bunch of cards that use the Landfall mechanic without saying landfall (like Tireless Tracker), but have any cards originally printed with the word "Landfall" on them later been reprinted with the word Landfall removed?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

It's interesting which rules come with which default assumptions about intent. Show up to a multi-format tournament with two decks with different-colored sleeves, but didn't read the fine print about approved storage methods? Definitely intent to cheat there, game loss. Forgetting negative triggers, casting cards when you don't have quite the right colors available, letting your own permanents survive wrath effects, and otherwise playing sloppily with the rules in ways that somehow by sheer chance are always strictly beneficial to you? Just an honest mistake every single time, no penalty.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'm going to go out on a limb here with a controversial take: if you only one time say that the Jews brought the Holocaust on themselves by taking over the German media and banks until the German people were left with no other choice, that's still one time too many.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The only plot-relevant indestructibles at the moment are the Gods, and they're already on Bolas's team.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Or just say -100/-100.

Then in a year's time release a 101/101 creature.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

2BB, Destroy all creatures.

Let indestructible creatures not be destroyed. That's the point. That's why they replaced Wrath of God with Day of Judgment well before they started to phase out regeneration.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

loving Magic players, never satisfied. First we have a one-deck format where only a specific midrange deck is viable and everyone complains, then we have a one-deck format where only a specific combo deck is viable and everyone still complains even though the one playable deck is completely different? First we print Black Lotus and you say it's too strong, then we print Wood Elemental and you say it's too weak? Hypocrites.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

DariusLikewise posted:

Magic Duels is 20x the digital platform that MTGO is currently

:agreed:

Cactrot posted:

They've got another duels like product in the wings, it just won't be named duels.

It's so far out that they can't tell us anything at all about it, so killing the current program effective immediately is pretty bad.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cactrot posted:

Maybe I imagined this, but I thought digital next was more of an initiative for magic's digital products than one single code name for a specific product.

It's both because it's a meaningless buzzword tossed around by the same out-of-touch people who think an MMORPG is the way to go in 2017.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The Shortest Path posted:

Is it actually functional errata if it doesn't change anything? There are zero cards or effects that care about flipping, and the only card that interacts with transforming is Moonmist. Moving a flipped or transformed card between zones reverts it to its un-flipped or un-transformed state in all cases, copying a flipped or transformed card inherits the state the same way, etc.

The only difference is card templating.

It changes how it interacts with clone effects and "create a token that's a copy of" effects. A clone that copies a double-faced card can't transform, but a clone that copies a flip card can flip.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

goth smoking cloves posted:

What are we supposed to be seeing?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The red lands-don't-untap spell should have been "take an extra turn after this one".

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dr. Stab posted:

That's already a card.

Savor the Moment doesn't let your creatures untap either, so without vigilance it doesn't let you attack again. The reason this would be a red effect is that it's basically one of their "you have two combat phases this turn" effects in disguise.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Afflict is cool when it's on creatures with lower power but a "when this deals combat damage to a player" effect, since it basically reverses the usual blocking decision-making: if you want to maintain your card advantage, you block, and if you want to avoid taking damage, you don't block. It's a neat and unique twist on how combat usually works that still creates a meaningful decision.

It's dumb when it's on creatures with equal or higher power, where it makes the blocking decision less meaningful since you're taking the damage no matter what you do.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

There are currently two other Horses legal in standard. Both of them will rotate in three months.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Rules q, couple nights ago I played a grim strider with two cards in hand (6/6, -1/-1 for every card in hand). Attacked with it, opponent chose to take the 4. I played two Onward in response (creature gets +x /+0 until end of turn, where x is it's power)

How much damage do?

24 damage. X is 6 for the first Onward and 12 for the second. Onward reads the creature's current power, after all modifiers, at the time it resolves.

e: This assumes you cast them both at once. If you waited until after the first one resolved to cast the second, it would be 22 damage: 5 from the first and 11 from the second.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Entropic posted:

It physically hurts me how bad this mana dork is. :negative:

It reads horribly but I think it's solid for limited, just not as a mana dork. You have to think of it as "bear with the utility upside of being able to mana dork when you really need it to" instead of "mana dork that sucks at being a mana dork and also is a bear I guess".

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Also, there are seven lands in HOU alone that tap for things besides mana. Might want to use one of those more than once, or use them then untap them to have shields up.

Most of those non-mana abilities have costs like "Pay four mana and sacrifice a desert". It's not often you'll want to activate those twice between untap steps.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bugsy posted:

Red finally gets a 2/2 for 1R with no drawbacks?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I liked this block better when we thought it was designed to be a planeswalker factory. A "zombies but bigger than usual" factory is way less interesting.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TheMaestroso posted:

I guess it can work okay with other cards that mitigate this drawback (and Vedalkan Orrery would mitigate another), but on its own it's a pretty tough sell. These two cards might work with it:

That is, if the interaction works like I expect it to (skipping the first phrase and just looking at the top four).

Shuffling is not searching.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

They'd look a lot better if they didn't tilt them for no reason.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Problem: Our promo is a card nobody plays.

Solution: Our promo will be a token created by one card nobody plays.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ThePeavstenator posted:

52! / (2! * 50!) = (52*51) / 2 = 1386 possible combinations for top 2 cards.

Divide by 2 for the different possible orderings of Vents and Crypt: 1386/2 = 663.

1/663 chance of that happening or .15% chance.

Combinations don't care about order so it's actually 1/1386.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

We need to kill support for Duels so it doesn't compete with MtGO.

We need to kill support for MtGO so it doesn't compete with paper magic.

We need to kill support for eternal formats so they don't compete with Standard.

We need to kill support for FNM so it doesn't compete with Standard Showdown.

We need to kill support for MtG so it doesn't compete with Hearthstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Problem: We need store events that cater to casual players.

Solution: Let's take our most successful store event and slightly reduce support for it so everyone who currently plays it will leave, then pray that casual players randomly wander in and fill the void. If only we hadn't baited in "people who play magic" to our playing-magic-event with the incredibly valuable Servo Expedition, FNM would definitely have been a land untouched by Aetherworks Marvel.