Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Change the thread title, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sickening posted:

I might actually build an EDH deck when it gets taken over by WOTC, becomes 1v1, and becomes a sanctioned format

Sounds like you wanna play Duel Commander! http://www.duelcommander.com/

It's waaaaay better than multiplayer EDH.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Tarmogoyf's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in all graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1. (The card types are artifact, global enchantment, instant, interrupt, land, local enchantment, mana source, sorcery, and summon.)

Look at this newbie not knowing about poly artifacts and mono artifacts!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Has SCG started preordering boxes for 150% retail price yet?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Iconic masters is going to have a bunch of lovely Modern and recent Standard cards that are "iconic" like Generic Big Hydra/Dragon/Angel and Siege Rhino and Baby Jace, is the difference.

In addition to crap like shivan dragon, of course.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The thread title still not being I CAST MOUTH is a huge disappointment smh

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The only format where Top is acceptable is commander, and that's because the people playing it are already slow as gently caress.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

I can be annoyed that a bunch of people who don't play a format got a card/deck banned even if I've never played that deck. Especially when it's not the first time it happened.

Real questions: How many of you people who are so happy about Top's banning actually play legacy? How many play only or primarily legacy? How many complained about Top before AVR was released?

[citation needed]

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

20 years from now, if MTG is still around, i will still be reminding people that jace wanted to gently caress a cosmic horror

lol if you wouldn't also gently caress a cosmic horror

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is amazing and I love it. I really hope it wasn't a fluke.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can just literally walk into Walmart with a pocket scale (those exist, you can pick one up for under ten bucks) and weigh them in full view of their employees and they will not give a single gently caress. My brother used to do this all the time with packs of Pokemon cards, the EX rares or whatever had a type of foiling on them that weighed an amount noticeably larger than normal cards so he was able to scoop up all the valuable packs and crack them to sell.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cactrot posted:

I'm in the same camp, I think this thing looks like tons of fun, but I can't afford to blow $1600 on the seven cards I don't have for it.

Good news, you can get the whole deck for under a hundred bucks as long as you don't take it out of sleeves or let people get too close with loupes.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheAsterite posted:

And if you sell them to some unsuspecting sucker, you can get the real cards for much less too!

Don't actually do this. Not only is it just a lovely thing to do, but if you get caught a lot of stores will send your name around to a bunch of other stores and you'll get blacklisted from your local area. Store owners don't tolerate that poo poo at all.

Counterfeits are for playing the game without having to take a second mortgage out on your house, not for screwing other players out of their money.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You also can't donate if you're gay.

E: Never mind that got changed to be "if you've had sex with a dude in the past year" so magic players are safe.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How ironic is it that Standard may end up being the only format with viable control decks?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

This but they also emergency ban Deadeye Navigator.

Deadeye Navigator is not good. There are many, many other combos in the format that are both cheaper and less vulnerable to disruption.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Spoken like somebody who's never run into infinite mana deadeye/phyrexian ingestor or deadeye/acidic slime. It's a major combo enabler, maybe not on mtgo though.

:confused:

These are really terrible three card combos that take way more mana than many other combos which win faster. If your concern is winning the game quickly and efficiently, Deadeye is not even remotely a factor. It's only a "major combo enabler" in slow durdle playgroups where games frequently go over ~30 minutes.

Basically just ignore like 99% of the words posted in the mtgsalvation commander board.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

But that would ruin the ~dramatic reveal~ because of course their target audience hasn't figured it out yet either.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Haha. Fatal Push is an $8 uncommon in a currently printed set.

It's a one mana removal spell that covers most of the creatures played in eternal formats with a drawback that is completely ignorable because of the most played type of land in said formats. It's the best card that's been printed for Modern and probably also Legacy in a long time. Get your playsets now before it goes out of print!!!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah but how often have they done ability word reprints without the ability word?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

There are a bunch of cards with Landfall that don't say Landfall

But I don't think those cards were ever printed in a version that had Landfall on the card.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If Vendetta didn't specify nonblack it would be good, but alas.

I don't think there's a way to justify black giving your opponent life to print an opposite card, either. A swords reprint would be baller though, or even a nerfed one (in white ofc) that destroyed instead of exiled.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A (very) public person making a horrible joke about a horrible tragedy in the immediate aftermath of said tragedy deserves pretty much everything they get. It's not like he wouldn't have known exactly what was going to happen to him if he took 30 seconds to stop and think about the consequences before hitting the post button. If you post something on the internet with your name attached to it, every single person you know has the potential of seeing that post. If you don't like that, don't post it. It's a pretty simple concept. :shrug:

That's why anonymity exists, and why attaching your real life identity to a stream-of-consciousness-word-vomit on the internet is really dumb.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The joke the guy made is 1/50th as crude as some of the 9/11 gags SA's produced. There were zero aborted fetuses in the tweet. It's one thing to get chided for a bad joke, but this is way too far. Vigilante gangs utterly destroying a person for something so mild is a terrifying prospect and we shouldn't be OK with it just because we don't like the victim.

The difference between this and the SA 9/11 Photoshop Thread is that the former was public and attached to the guy's real name and identity, and was done in the immediate wake of the tragedy, while the latter was on a pseudo-anonymous internet forum ~7 years after it happened. There's virtually no comparison.

If Twitter had existed in 2001 and a public person had tweeted out gifs of X-wings blowing up the world trade center the day after it happened, they would have gotten the exact same treatment.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm playing the 4-color Death's Shadow deck because it's everything I've ever wanted in a deck. It's the Jundiest Jund deck to ever Jund, it has a 1-mana unconditional counterspell, and it can sideboard like a toolbox deck thanks to Traverse.

I have all the pieces for the Grixis version but I've got a lot of Valakut and Prime Time decks in my area and Traversing for a Ghost Quarter or Fulminator Mage seems good.

Which lists are you using for this?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hellsau posted:

don't believe this poster

:chloe:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Seems Cryptic (City of Heroes) are making a mormorpagah based on Magic. Not actually found the source, just a reference to it on Gamasutra, but here:

Edit: better website: http://www.pcgamer.com/magic-the-gathering-is-getting-the-aaa-rpg-treatment/

I know it's already been said, but if I get to play Planeswalker Dressup with as many options as CoH had, I will pay subscription money for that alone.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

When was the last time Standard was good? I quit playing right before they banned Jace and Stoneforge because that was loving dumb, I do remember Alara-Zendikar being fun as gently caress before that by the time RoE came out, but prior to that the field was like 75% stupid Jund decks.

The best standard was rav/tsp or tsp/lor before Morningtide got printed, but the last good one was probably som/inn.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Anathemancer was an awesome card.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I liked that deck, but a control deck with only 6 maindeck counterspells is so depressing.

Basically what I'm saying is bring back Sonic Boom.

DariusLikewise posted:

The common theme I think here is Standard is fun when you can play 3+ colors and not have a slow deck and pre-turn 5 combo decks don't exist

I sort of agree, but I think slow standard formats are much better than fast ones. Fast combo decks can also be fine as long as they require a significant investment to go off early and there is sufficient interaction for them - Good examples are Project X and Dragonstorm from RAV/TSP standard.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 9, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elyv posted:

we're going to end up with some very large standards if there are no small sets moving forward

that's not me passing judgment, just a statement of fact

Considering that the biggest standard ever was also one of the best (cold snap, 3 tsp block sets, 4 lor block sets, core set), I am totally okay with this.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Clearly they should take the same approach and give us an on-flavor functional reprint of Lightning Bolt.

EDIT: at common, just to make sure Pauper feels the joy too.

Would another playset of Lightning Bolt actually improve Legacy Burn by that much? It almost certainly would for Modern and Pauper, but Legacy already has too many options to an extent. I mean I guess worst case scenario you replace Lava Spikes with them and do better in some very niche situations.

Clearly we need to make it happen so we can find out. :kheldragar:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

More instant speed Bolts is only good for Burn.

You could easily replace Lava Spike or Rift Bolt or Chain Lightning with Bolt 5-8

It definitely is unambiguously better, I'm just not sure by how much because the edge cases where instant speed matters aren't common. Sub-1% winrate increase?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

To clarify, they're talking about reprints of heavily-available core set stuff like Naturalize, Llanowar Elves, etc. being reprinted in standard-legal intro decks or whatever so they don't need to be reprinted in sets and take up card slots there.

e:f,b

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

What's the actual logic behind this?

The logic is that that's not what anyone said or believed or made decisions on.

1cmc mana dorks and some other types of staple cards were temporarily phased out so that they wouldn't be in standard for a while, so different types of decks could emerge that didn't rely on those types of cards. They will be phased back in sometime in the near future.

"Standard without Llanowar Elves" isn't much different of a concept than "Standard with Lightning Bolt"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is Delver even the top deck in Pauper? I thought it had been unseated by other stuff a while back.

And even if it is, Pauper is still the most diverse format by a country mile and pretty much always has been except when Peregrine Drake was around.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Pauper is such a great format. I wish more people played it in paper. Mono black control and u/w acid trip all day

Yeaaaaah. It's the only format where proper Affinity is playable, and I love it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

someone pointed this out on Rosewater's blog, but with the new rotation and set size changes, we'll soon be seeing standards that are, size-wise, more like Time Spiral/Llorwyn block standard

Something I hadn't considered, but it's likely that having a larger card pool may help standard avoid dominant strategies

It's gonna be great.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Next block is Pirates and Dinosaurs? Sweet.

Block after that is Dominaria with Richard Garfield working on it? :gizz:

3rd Un-set? :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elyv posted:

also at last, Pygmy Allosaurus's type will be dinosaur again instead of this "Lizard" BS

I really hope they errata Allosaurus Rider to Creature - Elf Warrior Dinosaur.