Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Xmage runs like butt and the UI strongly resembles a garbage can on a warm sunny day in Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I'm still confused by why Nissa is suddenly blue and not racist. Nissa as an Elf Planeswalker was way more interesting than Nissa as generic naturey Planeswalker.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Elyv posted:

have you considered casting thraben inspector

Great job Confirming my Suspicions that Magic players can get clues

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
They could've had a story arc where she slowly comes to terms and then moves past her racism but instead they just decided she already did that. It was lame and dumb and WotC is lame and dumb for dropping a potentially dope character arc.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

yeah I'm ok with WotC not writing a multi-part story about an elf realizing that racism is bad and putting it on their website

Instead we get static character #5, who has no personality whatsoever. I'm not saying you dedicate a multi part story to it, I'm saying you give her a character arc so you don't have another static boring as gently caress character.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Whatever happened to Ashiok? I feel like they were printed as a magic card and then we never learned anything else about them.

This is another problem with Magic story telling. They print a bunch of legendary creatures/Planeswalkers and then do absolutely nothing with a bunch of them.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Both Marvel and DC (and especially DC imprints) have a history of occasionally hiring good writers to make actually good fiction. I suppose I can understand wanting their writing team to just write the Avengers but that doesn't mean they're not capable of doing better.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

PJOmega posted:

If EDH made a rule change tomorrow that said "All Planeswalker so can now be used as commanders" what would need to be banned?

Tezzeret, the Seeker and Ugin probably. Maybe Nahiri?

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 18, 2017

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Teferi can explicitly already be used as your commander

I'm an idiot and meant mono-Blue Tezzeret

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

UberJew posted:

I can't see why Ugin-as-commander would need an EDH ban, he's not uncounterable, doesn't have an on-cast effect, costs 7 and won't even blow up everybody's lands if he resolves and minuses without some other combo piece. You'd probably make it into a really broken deck but that's because any colorless EDH deck has to be full of broken combos so as to not be total garbage

No, it's just absurdly good as a ramp/control tool. You cast it on t4/5 and repeatedly wrath the board. If they deal with it, you just do it again. Repeat this process ad nauseum. Playing against Ugin would be positively miserable for every party involved.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

UberJew posted:

I feel like trying to do that on mono-colorless is just going to get you killed against anything with any interaction

but then i've played plenty of edh games where everybody involved felt like having interaction in their deck or winning from an empty board was bad so

See, I think it's probably fine if we're talking about a reasonable format like Duel Commander but in the crazy format that is normal EDH I would want to avoid having a card like Ugin.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I will build an EDH deck when they unban Recurring Nightmare. I'm still mad that somehow that card is banned. Like, c'mon, you can cast Reanimate in a format with 40 life but you can't cast Recurring Nightmare? It makes me so mad.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
What's really cool about Duel Commander is that they go in depth about every ban choice and you can really understand all of their decisions.

They also don't have Recurring Nightmare banned because why the gently caress should that card be banned AHHHHH.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Magic Story summary:

Jace and Liliana were loving and Gideon complained about it (because he was too dense to figure out why Jace was at Lili's house early in the morning) so they had to stop. Gideon might as well put on a goddamn fedora at this point; dude is not only friend-zoned as gently caress, but he's a cockblocker.

Except that Gideon pretty explicitly knew that they were loving and also that's definitely not what happened in the story?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Iconic Masters sounds like a really cool set and I am excited

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Balon posted:

I figure it's exactly what the deck wants - draw fixing that turns in to a free value generator. With a Noble she comes down and ticks up on turn 2 to fix you up good.

Eldrazi already gets to play the best cantrip in the format, they don't really need another card selection spell.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
What the heck is this pile of nonsense?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
2 Monastery Swiftspear is what really got me.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I think it's extremely obvious that what happened is that SCG/CFB/whoever else called and told them that they need to fix Standard because attendance is falling faster than it did during CawCaw standard. Then WotC looked at the public outcry, shrugged, and decided to ban it. Not banning it at first was pretty dumb, but not banning it until five weeks from now would have been extremely dumb. This new standard cannot be as bad as what we just had or competitive Magic could take a hit that it won't recover from for years. As it stands, it might not recover from the last couple seasons being so loving awful. I can't recall people ever being this pessimistic about Standard being a fun format. People might say a current format is poo poo, but normally people still think a new format might be fun and exciting. Nobody was excited for this format. Not even the prospect of a Cycling control deck made people excited for this format. So WotC did what they had to do in order to hopefully get people interested in playing Standard. I think this is the least bad thing they could have done after not banning on Monday (even if Saheeli was the better ban).

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
This is the first emergency ban WotC has done since Memory Jar which was more than a decade ago. WotC's word is still worth a lot. The people whining about this are the same people who whine about literally everything because WotC isn't a magical company that can see the future.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

They have always banned things in a reactionary manner, sometimes they get it right but mostly they're wrong. They didn't even get the Caw standard bans right, they only should have banned Stonefirge Mystic, the card somehow Boros Aggro and Caw blade shared, but they banned Jace too because people hated it, it was expensive because it saw play in other formats and represented the dreaded 'pay to win' aspect of magic people complaint about.

Sure it was pushed and overpowered, but so is virtually every eternal playable. A set later Snapcaster, an even more broken card, would get a pass because it was only rare, and thus affordable.

I mean thank god they banned cat, card needed to go, but they banned it due to people being upset instead of because it was a format warping piece of poo poo that was ruining standard.

They banned Jace because Jace was the best card in that standard. Caw-Go was arguably the best deck even before Stoneforge was around. The other top tier decks were things like URx Twin featuring Jace the Mind Sculptor, RUG Control featuring Jace the Mind Sculptor, UW Control featuring Jace the Mind Sculptor, UB Control featuring Jace the Mind Sculptor, and then RDW and Valakut. Jace was more prevalent in that format than SFM.

Also, you're insane if you think Snapcaster is better than Jace or SFM.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Well, it was a lot of Midrange Thragtusk decks but yeah, Swagdaddy was the most played card in the format. It was very diverse even accounting for that, however. Pretty much every archetype was viable in that standard.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I think KTK/BFZ was p good, all things considered. I even think RTR/THS wasn't as bad as people claim it was. Every archetype was viable and tier 1 in that standard. Just everything since SOI has been kind of garbage.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I don't think Snap was the reason that deck was dominant tbh but yeah Delver was insane in that format. That had more to do with it having Mana Leak, Ponder, and the answers to Geist being hot garbage. Also, Inkmoth + Pike was stupid and miserable to play against. Snappy was gross but not the reason the deck was the best in the format.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

You're basically talking about a two-month time frame right between like May 2012 and July 2012, when Delver pushed ahead of Pod and right before M13 rotated Mana Leak out of Standard. Forgive me if I don't see your point about Snapcaster's dominance

Delver was pretty much always the best deck in that format. Also, Mana Leak didn't rotate until RTR.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

My point, now somewhat lost, was that they don't ban cards based solely on power level or prevalence in a format. They ban because they are unpopular. Cards like Bloodbraid elf never got banned because they weren't chase mythic so people didn't care as much, if it had been 70 dollars per elf it wouldn't have made it out of Block Constructed.

I mean, you're right but I think you're missing the point. Obviously the ban hammer will only fall when people are dissatisfied with Standard. If the format is just Mardu mirrors all day but people love it and FNMs are booming, WotC won't do poo poo. This is kinda obvious. WotC only changes things when people are unsatisfied. Why would they change things if people are happy?

You have to remember that at the end of the day, Magic is a game. Games need to be fun, my dude.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
No creatures, planeswalkers, or lands

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Censor is a better Counterspell than Miscalculation. Cycling for just one Mana is super gross and force spike is great. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it saw some play in Modern.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I think the most likely control deck in Standard is red because you can't beat Scrounger without Magma Spray. Also, Harnessed Lightning is 70% of Terminate. Baral is not good either. But yeah, Control might be back now.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
So you're trading down on Mana, you're down on life, and you can't answer your opponent's Gideon? And you have to be in three colors? That seems like too many hoops to jump through when you can just be UR and not worry so much.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
You don't need to qualify that statement

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

What? Why? Unmaking exiles, right?

If you Unmaking their Scrounger, you won't have the Unmaking for their Gideon

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The sentence, "My fingers wrapped into fists." is a thing in the most recent Magic Story. I guess we finally have confirmation that the writers are 14 year olds that divide their time between writing Naruto fanfiction and Magic Story.

Actually, yknow what, I've read Naruto fanfics that have better writing than this garbage. You can do way better than this WotC.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
There are people on Reddit saying that this is amazing and possibly one of the best Magic Stories of all time.

I guess we found the Magic Story audience.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Survival is a totally acceptable card and shouldn't be banned. I understand why it is, but it's really fine. I'm excited that I get to play with Nightmare and Birthing Pod, at the very least.

Why is Back to Basics banned while Blood Moon is fine?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Wait, Entomb is banned but DT is fine? What the heck?

Btw, is everybody ready to get Vial Smashed? That deck is going to gently caress up everyone's day.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

One is mana denial, one is color denial?

Blood Moon is Mana denial and also much less fun compared to Back to Basics. At least with Back to Basics you can eventually get Mana.

Lol DT is way stronger than Vamp or Seal. Putting the card in hand is absolutely insane and makes it way, way, way better.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 3, 2017

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

Being able to tap your dorky aggro creatures to draw cards when they can't attack profitably sounds awesome to me. My problem with the deck is the lack of reach. The white splash for the 2-drop seems to help a bit, but that's only ok. I'd actually consider splashing red for Cut//Ribbons instead.

The deck with 4 Blood Artists lacks reach?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

What are some of the best strategies against all of these hyper-efficient Delver/Death's Shadow type of decks? It seems like resilience to discard is the key element.

The card Spellstutter Sprite is very good against Deaths Shadow decks.