Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

20 years from now, if MTG is still around, i will still be reminding people that jace wanted to gently caress a cosmic horror

lol if you wouldn't also gently caress a cosmic horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
It's clear to me now that Nicol Bolas's plan all along has been to destroy standard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

UberJew posted:

tbf like half of lovecrafts horrors are explicitly or implicitly metaphors for sexuality bc he was v spooked by the very idea

much like jace

Jace looked on at the unknowable horror with despair, but also a clue

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

Your momma can confirm that I would :cawg: .

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

~all those tentacles~ :blush:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
pff, wizards is just ripping off japan which already did Nyarlathotep as a cute highschool girl years ago

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

clamiam45 posted:

It's clear to me now that Nicol Bolas's plan all along has been to destroy standard.

I would legit love it if there were some Grant Morrison-esque deal where Bolas had learned that he was a character in a poorly written story and his master plan was to destroy it from the inside by preventing people from playing.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
also mcmagic please stop being right in the trump thread, its wrecking my worldview to see you as the rational side of the argument for pages and pages.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

A big flaming stink posted:

also mcmagic please stop being right in the trump thread, its wrecking my worldview to see you as the rational side of the argument for pages and pages.

mcmagic was........right?!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Cactrot posted:

I would legit love it if there were some Grant Morrison-esque deal where Bolas had learned that he was a character in a poorly written story and his master plan was to destroy it from the inside by preventing people from playing.

Time Spiral 2 confirmed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Quote me Jace's lust for cosmic horror, please

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

UberJew posted:

tbf like half of lovecrafts horrors are explicitly or implicitly metaphors for sexuality bc he was v spooked by the very idea

much like jace

I mean, he was pretty spooked by black people too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A big flaming stink posted:

I'm sure I will post stuff that you disagree with any time now... taxes are pretty much my wheelhouse though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Quote me Jace's lust for cosmic horror, please

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/promised-end-2016-07-27

its near the end, emrakul and jace have a nice little chat the wanting to gently caress her thing is a bit of a joke sorry to have to pull back the curtain

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
an actual highlight of the story i forgot is jace having to chat with his inner mind and he hates how snide he is

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

80s James Hetfield posted:

mcmagic was........right?!

Yes but I STRONGLY recommend not going into the Trump thread to see for yourself

The novelty is not worth it

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I'm sure I will post stuff that you disagree with any time now... taxes are pretty much my wheelhouse though.

the obama stuff, actually

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yes but I STRONGLY recommend not going into the Trump thread to see for yourself

The novelty is not worth it

for the love of christ this

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/promised-end-2016-07-27

its near the end, emrakul and jace have a nice little chat the wanting to gently caress her thing is a bit of a joke sorry to have to pull back the curtain

What an odd juxtaposition.

I like Jace less as a character after reading this. My instinct to avoid these stories was correct.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:wtc: I have less respect for Jace as a fictional character now. Who the hell wouldn't want to gently caress a tentacled cosmic horror? :stare:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

uninverted posted:

Probably not. Eldrazi isn't a deck that wants a trickle of value over a lot of turns, you want to disrupt the opponent a bit and then throw your big aliens at them.

I figure it's exactly what the deck wants - draw fixing that turns in to a free value generator. With a Noble she comes down and ticks up on turn 2 to fix you up good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Balon posted:

I figure it's exactly what the deck wants - draw fixing that turns in to a free value generator. With a Noble she comes down and ticks up on turn 2 to fix you up good.

Endrazi wants to play a TNS on T2, not this. Getting more grindy does nothing for that deck.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I mean, he was pretty spooked by black people too.

often the metaphors for one were also metaphors for the other!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Balon posted:

Eldrazi already gets to play the best cantrip in the format, they don't really need another card selection spell.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Eldrazi already gets to play the best cantrip in the format, they don't really need another card selection spell.

She's card advantage that dodges Wrath.

I don't think she works great in Eldrazi with how expensive most of the creatures are but I think that kind of deck is on the right track.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Eldrazi's main weakness is how inconsistent it can be. Sometimes you don't get any Temples and your Hierarch gets bolted T1 or sometimes your one big creature is a TKS and it gets Terminated right away. One or two of the new Nissa in the 75 is at least worth trying out to find a Displacer and Drowner faster for the late game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/626187#online

Momma mia

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Eldrazi's main weakness is how inconsistent it can be. Sometimes you don't get any Temples and your Hierarch gets bolted T1 or sometimes your one big creature is a TKS and it gets Terminated right away. One or two of the new Nissa in the 75 is at least worth trying out to find a Displacer and Drowner faster for the late game.

This is exactly my thinking. Sure the dream is a turn 2 TKS, but sometimes you just die to your own draws and whiff on your stirrings.

Nissa dodges this, is another target that protects your life, and helps build your board.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't drooling a little.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

A Tolaria West toolbox for ancestral vision, restore balance, engineered explosives, or ghost quarter is the coolest thing ever.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Balon posted:

This is exactly my thinking. Sure the dream is a turn 2 TKS, but sometimes you just die to your own draws and whiff on your stirrings.

Nissa dodges this, is another target that protects your life, and helps build your board.

I like the idea of trying her out. I may do it just to see how she works.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I like the idea of trying her out. I may do it just to see how she works.

For sure. 2 definitely works in the deck, replacing some of the lower-end creatures.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is amazing and I love it. I really hope it wasn't a fluke.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I was looking at this earlier today. It seems.... amazing?

I want to try it so much but I also am hesitant as most of my MTGO collection is in BGx so not a lot of crossover :(

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Walked posted:

I was looking at this earlier today. It seems.... amazing?

I want to try it so much but I also am hesitant as most of my MTGO collection is in BGx so not a lot of crossover :(

The clear answer is to make some sort of BUG monstrosity with As Foretold.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

https://www.isleofcards.com/magic-the-gathering-beginner-guide

This is a very solid "understand pretty much everything you need to understand about the actual game" article, to start with.

Give me a minute for more information than this.

So there are a number of ways to begin actually PLAYING the game, including making completely casual jank decks with cheap cards you get at a game store that look fun to you, to "netdecking" (finding a list online and copying it) budget lists that conform to various formats (which are described in that article I linked), to purchasing pre-made decks and jamming them against each other to learn the game better and figuring out how you might want to change things.

The Duel Decks are kinda fun in that way, in that they aren't strictly overpowered and are usually designed to be somewhat equally matched. An issue I have with them is that they are pretty inconsistent due to the design of the decks themselves.

If you are used to longer multiplayer games in other games you've played, you could get pre-made Commander/EDH decks and just slam those for awhile, and then swap cards in as you learn about them and think they look neat.

Wanted to touch base and thank you for the useful resources - I read the article, watched the video, lost my first game, and I'm still interested so there's that.

I have a limited base of how the game is played to build off now, so I'm curious about (casual) deck building - good strategies for beginners to pursue, most efficient products to look for, etc. Whether you have the time to reply or not, thanks for the time regardless.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deified Data posted:

Wanted to touch base and thank you for the useful resources - I read the article, watched the video, lost my first game, and I'm still interested so there's that.

I have a limited base of how the game is played to build off now, so I'm curious about (casual) deck building - good strategies for beginners to pursue, most efficient products to look for, etc. Whether you have the time to reply or not, thanks for the time regardless.

Netdeck. Just netdeck.

People also seem to like https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles type budget brew deck things.

I'd suggest exploring preconstructed decks to mess with with your friends, as they are cheap and fun enough and give you more ideas of what color identities are in some way.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ShaneB posted:

Netdeck. Just netdeck.

Don't listen to this bad advice.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

80s James Hetfield posted:

Don't listen to this bad advice.

Best advice.

I'm not gonna tell someone to buy some boxes and make decks from the cards they open. I'm not sure how else people end up making fun decks starting from zero.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Do you want to go to game stores to play, or do you just want to jam games with some friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Deified Data posted:

If your plan is to play casual, find out what your friends are playing, and maybe ask to borrow a deck while you figure out what top build for yourself. If most of your friends don't play, you're going to mostly get you're games in at your local shop, which will range from slightly less casual to down right spiky, depending on your shop. If that's the case, you can buy into a budget deck for whatever format is popular to start learning and then upgrade into better decks to attack your local meta game as you figure it out and your budget allows.