Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
That description of Frontier is the only appropriate one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

C-Euro posted:

:same: First sanctioned event for me was the Legions pre-release but I had been collecting cards since Exodus.

Mine's actually an 8 digit one from the Legions pre-release as well! I started a bit later with deckbuilding though, around Odyssey block. I remember my first rare that I pulled was a Petradon and thought it was the coolest card ever. :kiddo:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol look at this 12-digit scrub trying to call people out for a convo that ended 3 pages ago

You underestimate this thread's abilities.

Tainen posted:

I also signed up for pre-release and have never owned a magic card. I have completed the first 30 or so missions on the iPhone game though so I am all set to win the whole thing.

There's an iOS game? I hesitantly ask, is it any good?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

I durdled to 2-2 with some horrible Bant stuff, continuing my proud tradition of never pulling a card worth more than $3. I always tell myself to stick to 2 colors but I never follow my own advice.

At least I had the privilege of saying "I cast Mouth" but that's about it. It was my promo :smuggo:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It's much worse than those cards. You're down a card.

Apart from drafting Eternal Masters, though, when are you going to be able to cast Force of Will in sealed? If I pulled it I would've played it just to say I could.

Would've been nice for me since I was playing blue, but I'm not lucky enough I suppose. :sigh:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

Let's make some wagers out of curiosity.

What wins the SCG Open tomorrow? Mardu Vehicles, Tower or something new?

The usual instinct when a new set drops is a large number of aggro decks. I bet we'll still see plenty of Mardu Vehicles since it's a safe bet, but we'll probably also see RG/x decks popping up, since Rhonas, Hazoret, and Glorybringer among others seem to be the top dogs in speculation thus far.

I'd like to see at least some variant on WR humans that focuses on Exert + Always Watching. Also, some sort of UR or RB prowess deck using Soul-Scar Mage would be cool. I'm anticipating that will be the best way to deal with Rhonas for red since lightning axe + fiery temper is as effective as ever, and giving them wither gets around indestructible.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

Wait was the nine year old delivering pizzas or was the delivery guy the gunman

I think it said she was the deliverer and the nine year old was the gunchild. Either way, I wish they'd fill the player fact sheets with more lol-worthy or :stare:-worthy tidbits like that.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

the person supplies the facts, which prob goes a long way to explain why so many are so boring

That also explains why many of them talk about their tourney accomplishments, which doesn't matter for poo poo to anyone else.

Also, thank you SCG for having the featured matches all be Mardu Vehicles vs. opponent for this first tournament of an exciting brand new standard. :shepface:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

bigperm posted:

Watched a match earlier do they post decklists for these? I really want to see that Mono-black that is 6-0 for poverty reasons.

Since it's unique, hopefully it'll get a deck tech video at some point. I don't know how budget friendly it'll be though, since Mono B would never not run some form of Liliana.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

mcmagic posted:

At least the less lovely Jessup brother won.

He still has an incredibly punch-worthy face. (even if less so)

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

little munchkin posted:

i know i've said this before but this is an incredibly normal and not weird at all thing for an adult to say

I never said I'd actually do it. Also I'm neither extremely fat nor extremely skinny.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

So I did my usual thing for a new set that I like and recently picked up a fatpack. For the most part it was boring stuff, until I got to one pack that had a Nissa as well as an invocation Kefnet the Mindful. I know I shouldn't complain about it since it's still a $35~ card, but it was still a little anticlimactic that it was my blue invocation, and probably the only invocation I'll ever open. It did get me wondering though, should I go ahead and unload them now before they drop? Or do Nissa and/or Kefnet have some sort of untapped potential that might be seen at the Pro Tour?

Also for those who are wondering - because I certainly was - the land pack had 20 full art lands and and 60 regular lands. Interestingly, there was also a pack of tokens for seemingly every card in the set that can create/embalm as well as a Gideon emblem. I know BfZ had a full pack of full arts, but I don't remember any other fatpack having all of the tokens for a set. I suppose it's because embalm is such a common mechanic.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Alris posted:

Just checking, Bontu the Glorified is a bad card, right?

Bontu is not all that bad in multiplayer EDH I guess

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Good thing I already pulled a couple New Perspectives. Here's hoping for lots of copies in T8 so I can unload them on Monday and buy something that's actually good!

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Ulamog is a fun card.

Even when cast with Marvel?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

There was a Second Sun New Perspectives list that got a deck tech running mostly red instead of white that ran Sweltering Sun. Did that guy not even make T64? I'd hoped the deck I want to jam to the most at a PPTQ soon would have some sort of good matchups in the coming standard, even to aggro.

E: I forgot, they weren't running Approach of the Second Sun at all. I still hold out hope for that deck.

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 15, 2017

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Sandworm Convergence.

I think I would cough up blood laughing if this became a thing.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Hopefully we're getting a Bolas planeswalker that ETB 1 loyalty counter away from some badass ultimate, so that Dark Intimations can go from fifteen cents to fifteen dollars.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I hope he's actually castable this time

He will be easily for as long as Oath of Nissa remains in standard at least.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Anybody have any experience with different builds of Death's Shadow? I was all geared up to start playing Jund Death's Shadow, but I think I'm leaning more towards Grixis, partly because it's similar to Delver and partly because I have most of it and have 0 tarmogoyfs. I do have Mishra's Bauble though, but they don't seem to be played in Grixis. Should I go ahead and sell them while they're still in between $30 or $40?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

The problem with baubles is that they aren't going down unless death shadow is banned or its reprinted. If you aren't going to play with them then yes, sell them.

I'd frankly be shocked if Death's Shadow got banned. It seems easy to deal with for most decks that expect it.

ShaneB posted:

Yeah I mean if you don't have goyfs and aren't going to buy them, you simply can't play DSJ. Grixis Delver is certainly basically as powerful, but plays a bit differently. If you like Grixis Delver style decks it's essentially a strictly better version of it. Selling your baubles to finance other magic things is probably a perfectly fine idea if you aren't going to buy goyfs.

That's what I figured. With how quick it plays, DSJ seemed more like a burn deck than a zoo deck. I appreciate being able to be a bit more methodical about how I interact with dealing damage to my opponent and to myself.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

En Fuego posted:

I'm interested in this R/U standard deck, cause I think a ton of cheap removal and then some Gearhulk finishers would be fun.

Also, maybe I can ruin it by adding some pet cards like Kefnet to it.

You say that, but from what I hear Kefnet is supposed to be pretty helpful against the mirror matches. I think UR Control is pretty well poised right now.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

People need to look at the Top 8 at GP Kobe this past weekend.
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15693&d=295990&f=MO

Half of these are some funky-rear end decks, and they are awesome.

I was gonna say...did the Esper Control deck with a 4-of Glory-bound Initiate blip on anyone else's WTF radar?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

So the top 8's for each GP look something like this to me:

Manila: we've got three pretty different variants on Vehicles, with a UW flash deck of all things taking home the trophy

Amsterdam: we focus more on BG strategies with delirium winning out right, but we like our control as well as Esper vehicles

Omaha: MARVEL! MARVEL MARVEL MARVEL MARVEL MARVEL! (also some other stuff)

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

How can you say you want more quotes like this:

and less quotes like this:

Star Man posted:

When people clamor for quotes from literature on cards, I always wonder if those same people actually read that stuff in their spare time.

I'll have you know I was reading Henry IV just the other day.
:goonsay:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

B&R list update 6/13/2017: Standard has been banned.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

So a creature with Afflict X + Lure = game?

Also, it's definitely time to buy up Gitrog Monster.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I believe it will only trigger once regardless of the # of blocking creatures.

I realized that after posting :sigh:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

Dual deck Merfolk vs Goblins should be uh.... interesting? poo poo they could print basically a budget modern Merfolk deck and a budget modern goblin deck if they wanted to.

Except that with the reprintings of Goblin Guide and Cavern of Souls, Goblins has become pretty budget friendly lately.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

I still call them CIPT lands because I'm old(ish) and stubborn like that.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Holy cannoli...

Well, at least it's blurry right?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

Is this a good deck or is josh just good at magic.

It was only a matter of time I guess. Can't wait to see Death's Shadow eventually in vintage.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

I hope that little girl is playing affinity and runs into Pascal Maynard playing Bant Eldrazi so that he can get wrecked all the time by people less than 1/3 his age.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Also, I just noticed they call the burn deck in the top 8 "Naya," but the only green spells are 4 Destructive Revelry in the sideboard.

This is standard practice. People rarely run Atarka's Command anymore.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Affinity players: "What's that? Death's Shadow is the best deck in Modern? Let us show you how it's done."

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

Intruder alarm combo

We can add this + Noble Hierarch + Intruder Alarm to Modern's ever growing list of infinite combos.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

The one time a Magic player will drown in pussy

:golfclap:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Holy poo poo, I suggested that the locust god might be okay in R/U control instead of Kefnet as a 5th threat and they lost they drat mind.

Much like Kenfnet, I see it being best against the mirror. Gearhulk -> Glimmer with this on the field seems to only enhance that already good play, not to mention the good cycle stuff that's already in most decks.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

It's the Sphinx lord we've always needed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Kinda makes you sad that Always Watching is rotating out soon huh?