Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

tqilamknbrd posted:

Newbie here, this weekends prerelease will be my first time playing magic and hopefully not my last. Aside from actually going down to a local store and playing I've been doing all I can to get a grasp of the game. CFB gave Slither Blade a 0 but a 1 mana 1/2 that can't be blocked seems useful to me?

There's a concept that takes a while to appreciate where you have to ask "is this worth a card"? Its the same reason why ornithopter is unplayable. New players look at it and say "its free, this has to be playable, right". Its not, because cards are a precious, limited resource in the game. You might get access to 15 or 16 cards in your deck in a game. You want all your cards to be relevant to your goal of winning.

1 mana 1/2 unblockable might seem good, and the cost is probably right, but its not playable because it just doesn't do enough. If it was 2/2 unblockable, it would be far more powerful because now you have a little beater that can do a lot towards getting someone from 20 to zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

tqilamknbrd posted:

Fair enough, thanks all.

So the same apply to Sacred Cat, regardless of picking up Regal Caracal? *Or is that a different story because of lifelink and embalm?

sacred cat is less clear, because lifelink is very powerful, and there are some playable auras that can make it good. I generally begin any format thinking any lifelink creature is playable until it is proven to be unplayable. This one might be unplayable, but I need to see it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Marketing New Brain posted:

No, Sacred cat is a fair bit better, although this is for draft not sealed.

Yep, I'm planning not to play sacred cat in sealed this weekend. In a draft if I'm white and I see one late, I'm gonna pause and wonder if my deck can make it work or not, because I don't think you play sacred cat without any way to pump its power. (or if I have a black white deck that cares about zombies, that alone might be enough)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

its me glenda posted:

its good though because it can give you a creature at will later in the game. having that option on the table is never bad because its basically a chump blocker when you need it or another card if you're trying to go just a little wider later

If sacred cat had, say vigilance instead of lifelink, I don't think I ever play it unless I've got a zombie deck with a couple zombie lords and I'm just taking every zombie and embalm creature.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I haven't looked forward to drafting a set more than this one in a long time. cycling, and two different mechanics that both let me cast from the graveyard? Very nice.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ThePeavstenator posted:

This is about as relevant as someone saying that counterspell would be a terrible card if it was a sorcery instead of an instant. Being able to get extra value from cards and paying mana in installments is very, very good. Chumping a big creature for two turns and gaining a small amount of life for so little mana is a very powerful effect. You don't need to "get there" with a card like Sacred Cat. It gives you a cheap, efficient way to get a few extra draw steps in a deck that wants it.

You didn't understand my point. I believed he was saying that chump blocking 2 times alone (without any other ability including lifelink) for 2 mana on installment was good. I disagreed, and insisted that lifelink (which can be abused with other cards) made the difference.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 20, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Oh, thank loving God. I wasn't even going to bother watching pro tour copycat

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Soul Glo posted:

So what decks are viable now or is it just Mardu and BG Constrictor?

I guess we'll all find out at the PT, I'm just curious how big Tier 1 gets now that Cat's gone.

I don't think we'll really know until after the pro tour. Mardu got a lot of hate added in this set, and copycat is dead.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Story update: Liliana fought the 3rd demon she sold her soul to. Demon took control of her body, gatewatch stuns the demon and while he was wounded and distracted, Liliana raised up dozens of undead gators who tore apart and ate the screaming demon. Gatewatch is disgusted.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

80s James Hetfield posted:

As someone who didn't start playing until 2013 what's so great bout Dominaria

Nostalgia. In the early years of the game almost every set was in Dominaria, just on a different continent. Its been 10 or 11 years since we've seen that plane..

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Based on the trailer, it looks like the 3 gods that Bolas removed from the city was a scarab god, a scorpion god, and a locust god

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Maro said that if this set sells poorly, then there will not be any more un-sets. I'm hoping that they are reasonable in how many boxes they expect/hope to sell.

Also, given how far in the future they work, even if it does sell well by the time they see that and green-light un-4 it'll be at least 3 or 4 more years.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/161822163953/how-many-boxes-of-unstable-do-i-need-to-buy-to#notes

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

80s James Hetfield posted:

Was Magic as popular of a game vs. now when the first "Un's" came out

I would assume it would sell decent with the game currently being as popular as it is.

As popular as the game was way back then, the game has exploded since then. If they can't sell un3 with the popularity and the years of hype and anticipation among the unknown (probably small) number of un-fans, then the product is simply not viable.

One thing that could help is that Maro promised they designed it to be fun to draft, while previously they didn't put much thought into limited and were more focused on jokes, so I guess we'll see. As a limited-only player I don't give a drat if its not legal in any other format, if the limited environment is fun, then I'll play it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ZeroCount posted:

Apparently the vanilla mythic that Maro's been hinting at for a while now is in Unstable. What are the odds that it's a creature with a bunch of abilities, the last of which is 'CARDNAME is vanilla'?

Nah, it'll probably be a real vanilla. It'll probably be something that is absurdly efficient like an 8/8 for 4 and a wall of flavortext.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ZeroCount posted:

The biggest problem with Un-sets isn't even stuff like Gotcha (though it loving sucks), it's that a whole bunch of uncards are just really bad cards that use their joke aspect as drawbacks. Stuff like 'Vanilla creature only you have to do X every turn or it dies' isn't fun at all.

That wouldn't be vanilla though. Vanilla creatures can not have any rules text in the rule box, only flavor text.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mikujin posted:

If this is true then we likely won't see another Un-set after this (except for maybe after another dozen years).

Ultimately, WotC/Hasbro is in the business of making money. Un-sets don't do that, because once everyone gets over the novelty of drafting a funky format, and after your LGS has their one or two novelty Un-set Format FNMs, no more product moves because nothing is there to drive product sales. Unhinged was fortunate to have black-bordered full-frame full-art basics, which still didn't move packs enough to make it seem worth it.

There will absolutely be something included in the set to help drive sales - even if it's just "Full Art Land in every pack."

When he said no black border in un-sets to drive sales, I don't think the full art lands count. Everybody expects them to deliver on beautiful full art lands.

If they are restricted to only full art lands to drive sales, then if I were in charge I'd commission art for at least 20+ full art lands so that people would be encouraged to buy more than just 3 packs for one draft. I'd want a full set if the land looks awesome.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

GoutPatrol posted:

Magic Story Update:
Liliana says "woof"

This is not a joke

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Nissa's Defeat

2G
Sorcery

Destroy target forest or Green Enchantment or Planeswalker, if it's Nissa draw a card.

edit: the best guess on the internet for the flavor text is "The soul of this world is dead, Nissa. I would gladly kill it again. -Nicol Bolas"

Rigel fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 16, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Another one. edit: efb

Gideon's defeat

Instant
W

Exile target attacking or blocking white creature. If it's a Gideon planeswalker card gain 5 life

Rigel fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 16, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The white defeat seems like an absurdly strong sideboard card

edit: seems clear that gideon will die. I hope Chandra survives her defeat :ohdear:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jenx posted:

I guess an alternative is to just have very lovely memory, like me! Because once HoD spoilers start I'll probably forget most of the Ixalan cards I've seen already.

I'll remember treasure, and that there's a 3 loyalty Jace who clones himself, and I'll vaguely remember that there's a legendary pirate with a really retarded name. But beyond that, yeah it'll be groundhog day for me too.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I just noticed that it looks like Chandra is on Bolas's hand

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Nice little touch in the story that's pure Bolas where he set it up so that when a God is dying they suddenly regain all their memories so they realized what happened just before they die. Because, you know, its not good enough for Bolas to win and get his undead army of super zombies, he also needs them to know he won.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dr. Stab posted:

So, hangman is the only one that's actually in the un-set, right? The rest are from some weird super mechanical other set?

The contraptions are also from unstable, and have the unstable set logo. Its just that there's a special rule that says contraptions have to be in a separate contraption deck. You don't have to have any contraptions at all for limited, but if you do, thats where they go, and if a contraption is destroyed, it goes into a zone called "the scrapyard" instead of the graveyard.

Format-specific rules: unstable limited, you can put the contraptions you draft (if any) into your contraption deck, and there's no limit on how many copies of the same contraption you can play. You don't have to play with all the contraptions you draft if you don't want to. unstable constructed: you must also have a contraption deck, and that contraption deck must be exactly 15 cards, singleton.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Some Numbers posted:

Augment is amazing and I'm really sad it isn't an official Simic mechanic.

They covered that in the rules article. It goes to the graveyard.

Except if the host was killed in response to augment, then it never leaves your hand. Not sure why, except they just say so, probably because it's more fun to not get 2 for 1'd trying to play these.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Unless I'm missing something, Better than One seems like mostly downside TBH. You now have two boards to defend and take twice as much hurt from "each opponent suffers $badthing," and benefit basically only from double card draw. You can't augment eachother's creatures (probably?) and your steamflogger boss doesn't help his riggers. :v:

Your teammate gets a draw step during their turn.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Don't you get double land drops as well? There is some 2HG awkwardness but it seems pretty strong for a 2 mana card.

It seems like a weird set to draft because there are 2 cards in every pack that you can't put in your deck and there's a lot of cards that don't really do much or which are situational like the Augments. You might have a lot of trouble getting enough playables.

As far as "playables" go, I've noticed that the power level is very, very low. Probably by design, so there may be more playable cards in your pool than you might think. They couldn't make a set this low-powered in black-border.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I would assume that without anything to set its power/toughness, it's a 0/0 and dies (barring a Rules Lawyer).

If the ability on the card is not activated, then its base power and toughness is ?/?

:colbert:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I was planning on just buying a box to have fun with friends. Now I'm buying 3, and will probably grab singles. I fully intend on getting every contraption, every host/augment, and I'm making 5 decks, one for each faction.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Here's yet another odd little thing to pack in your backpack before going to an unstable draft just in case you need it. Couple other random booster packs from sets that had good creatures, check. Some good banned/restricted cards (preferably black, colorless, blue, or red), check. A piece of notebook paper listing every creature keyword that has ever been printed in Magic history? Check.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dr. Stab posted:

Can I name annihilator 6 and also annihilator 4?

According to the article you can't do that. Once you say annihilator anything, thats your use of the annihilator keyword for the day. So, the only option is annihilator 6, then in game two no more annihilator. So, a checklist may be handy especially if you plan to play it multiple times that day.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/931560486675476481

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Your go-to emergency keyword when you have a brainfart that will not do anything good but also do no harm should be.... "haste".

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Just guesstimating, but I think the ideal amount of X, given reasonable mana, is either 3 or 4. Probably 4. Once you start dropping dice from about a half foot or more, they are gonna start bouncing off the table.

edit: if the goal is to make one creature really big, I'd probably just do 3. 4 is tempting for wanting to kill multiple creatures.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

which is better for this, small dice, or big heavy dice?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/932734307529101315

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Katana Gomai posted:

This is a freaking 1 CMC common

Those squirrel cards that let you cheat dice rolls will really come in handy

It seems clear to me that they want long, slow games, with cheap easy removal, and understatted creatures.

Its probably a good decision, since it gives more chances for hilarious cards to be played.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Elyv posted:

Honestly, the Vraska section was fine. Not amazing, but fine. The Kumena section was...not fine.

Literally the Kumena section:

Yes! I made it, I'm first! Total almighty power is mine! Wait, what? Vampires? Get away from me, what are you doing, let me go. *gets hurled out the window* AAAAHHHHhhhhhhhh...... *crunch*

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Having Return to Dominaria only be one set also makes sense story-wise, there's not much there. The gatewatch minus Jace and Liliana stumbles into Dominaria bloody and broken, Ajani shows up, scowls, and berates them, then Jace suddenly appears and goes "guys, Bolas is gonna gently caress up Ravnica, come help me!" Then we take a break for the core set before, I assume, Return to Return to Ravnica in the Fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Rinkles posted:

I wouldn't mind if the core set was heavily Dominaria based.

Thats not a bad idea. Core sets are roughly half reprints, so they could use the new cards for little story vignettes showing what happened in Dominaria over the years.

edit: Also Jace's plan to enlist Niv-Mizzet's aid by appealing to his ego is hilarious, and has the potential for some REALLY bad story-writing even by wizard standards. "Hey Niv, can I call you Niv? Anyway, there's this other dragon Nicol Bolas, he's a planeswalker (and you're not).... and well.... he's planning to come over here to wreck our world. We're in a lot of trouble because he's way older than you and a LOT smarter and more powerful." "WHAT?!? gently caress that guy, I'll tear him to bits!"

Rigel fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 31, 2018