Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sampatrick posted:

I'm still confused by why Nissa is suddenly blue and not racist. Nissa as an Elf Planeswalker was way more interesting than Nissa as generic naturey Planeswalker.

When did they make her specist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Elyv posted:

In her original Zendikar printing she was elf centric and supposedly in story she thought elves were better than everyone else. Then she vanished from the story for like 6 years before popping up as a hippie.

I remember the card. I'm not 100% but it seems like in the story I think her deal is that she goes to Llorwyn and meets those elves and she's like "hm, maybe this is wrong"?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sampatrick posted:

They could've had a story arc where she slowly comes to terms and then moves past her racism but instead they just decided she already did that. It was lame and dumb and WotC is lame and dumb for dropping a potentially dope character arc.

yeah I'm ok with WotC not writing a multi-part story about an elf realizing that racism is bad and putting it on their website

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Controversial take: they could have printed planeswalkers who are not Bolas, but are also not Standard's third copy of each member of the Jacetice League.

Yeah, but they've addressed this already. Something we'll see them fix next block. You can only move so fast when you have to do simultaneous worldwide releases of physical product in a dozen languages.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sampatrick posted:

Instead we get static character #5, who has no personality whatsoever. I'm not saying you dedicate a multi part story to it, I'm saying you give her a character arc so you don't have another static boring as gently caress character.

My point is, I think you're asking for more than they're capable of producing with the available staff and resources. Magic story has never been good when tied to a set because a Magic set isn't a good way to tell a linear story. When the story stuff has to act in service of that it, it's going to struggle.

Sampatrick posted:

Whatever happened to Ashiok? I feel like they were printed as a magic card and then we never learned anything else about them.

This is another problem with Magic story telling. They print a bunch of legendary creatures/Planeswalkers and then do absolutely nothing with a bunch of them.

This is only a problem if you think of those as something more than world building flavor. I look back at sets like Antiquities and The Dark that hint at really interesting backstories and those are much more compelling and interesting than the more concrete, story-focused approaches we get now. I don't need a story to mention or touch on every character shown on a card. It's OK to just have cards that show us cool things in the world of the set. Sometimes (most of the times), less is more.

YggdrasilTM posted:

He tried to make an artificial god using nightmares.
He also fought with Dack Fayden in the comic book, I think.

Wait, Ashiok is a dude?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

YggdrasilTM posted:

A lot of people are complaining for the 2 Liliana, 2 gideon, 2 chandra and 3 nissa, but this is just an effect of the changed rotation, right? without that , we would have 2 Liliana, 1 Gideon, 1 Chandra and 2 Nissa. (No, I will NOT count the dumb "not really for play" intro deck planeswalkers).

Yes but people really want to be mad about something Wizards has already acknowledge is a problem and is something they're going to fix

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Magic is not a small product, and Wizards is not a small company. If they lack the necessary resources, it's because they have chosen not to bother with them, not because there's just no possible way for them to hire a writer.

Just because Wizards isn't small doesn't mean they should spend money on a better writer to write better short story articles for a game that most players won't read and has a marginal effect on revenue at best. Yeah, they could do a lot of things but that doesn't mean that hiring a better writer to create a touching story about Elf racism being bad is actually a better option than just not spending that money and doing more generic "magic wizard fight" stories.

Sure, I want to read better stories, but I'm also not going to Wizards of the Coast for high quality fiction so it doesn't bother me when they don't have it. It'd be like getting upset that Marvel doesn't put out compelling coming-of-age dramas about high school girls.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sampatrick posted:

Teferi and Ugin probably. Maybe Nahiri?

Teferi can explicitly already be used as your commander

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Pontius Pilate posted:

There was some talk of shorter DCI numbers in the previous thread (rip) and I always feel smug when I get paired up against a person with a newer one. All that smugness disappeared when I played an older guy with a three digit one in the 200s.

hahaha that owns. Guy's dick must be huge

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Tonetta posted:

How the gently caress you gonna get a 3 digit dci, I have an 8 digit & I signed up in like 2002

My bet is that you'd literally have to have attended one of the first 3 DCI events

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Tales of Woe posted:

i lost my 8 digit one from odyssey/onslaught era and now i have a 10 digit pleb one :(

It takes more work than it's worth for an 8-digit number imho, but you can work with customer service to dig up old DCI numbers and consolidate them into a single account. I had to do this to get my 6-digit number back in the day, since I no longer had my DCI cards from 1997. Mostly involved me giving them address/reg data and it took a while, but it's cool to see the old Neutral Ground events I was in show up on my Planeswalker Points record

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

St0rmD posted:

I had a hell of a time merging my DCI numbers (somehow my Wizards Account one had a different number I had never used, and all my play history was bound to a different account with the same email address). Turned out it was because I had a bunch of Judge history on there (I'm not a Judge), I was all "wtf" and then I remembered I originally signed up for DCI to play D&D in my local store before I even played magic and they were counting sessions I DMed.

That's interesting. I only really ever played magic in sanctioned events (though I did play some Pokemon back in the day), so I never had to worry about other games on my record.

Yeah the process itself took a long time, but I found WotC service to be very helpful, especially when all I had to give them was old mailing addresses I used, since my earliest activity predated common email addresses.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

The only DCI number worth having is 42069.

Nice.

They did an invitational tournament back in the early 2000s with the prize being the DCI number 1. Iirc it was done with a Rochester draft using the oversized cards they used to print every now and then.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lone Goat posted:

I got a sixer starting with 7 at Tempest prerelease.

6 digit here starting with a 6 from a Type 2 tournament in Summer 1997, just before Tempest

e: It's also funny to look back at my history and see multiple multi-year gaps from when I just took a break from magic and sold all my cards (which was a mistake every time)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah the story this week was OK.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

DoctorOozy posted:

OMG... Can you guys please put your DCI dicks away??

Unless you have loads of beta Duals or an alpha lotus sitting around the date you started playing is irrelevant.

lol look at this 12-digit scrub trying to call people out for a convo that ended 3 pages ago

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ThePeavstenator posted:

Can't wait to go to a magic event where the players are the least-weird adults there.

I dont' know about going to Hascon, but I think the idea of drafting a set with no information about its contents is really cool. Seems like a neat way to really put your evaluation skills and instincts to the test.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

DangerDongs posted:

I can't wait to open a Shivan Dragon.

Same but unironically if they print it at uncommon

e: And also with the original Melissa Benson art that loving owned and not the later garbage yellow turd art they replaced it with

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Also Sphinx of Lost Truths, maybe

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

80s James Hetfield posted:

Imagine if they had the balls to say gently caress the reserved list. They'd make boatloads

I like how the assumption is that killing the reserved list means they'd immediately reprint the P9 at common or some poo poo and not that the next step would be "Forbidden Masters," with packs that have a $50 MSRP with the P9 as masterpieces

e: Also let's be real, no one gives a poo poo about 95% of the cards on the reserved list. Even poo poo like Juzam Djinn only has value due to age

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 20, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

...Why does a Masters set have a worldbuilding team? :tinfoil:

Probably for the new art. One of the only good things about 7th edition was how it incorporated the 4 paladins into a bunch of stuff and told a little story that way

AceClown posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/products/iconic-masters

So either the first 2 years is excluded and no chance of reserved list cards or reserve list cards are there and shitbox standard stuff is not in it.

I can't decide which is more likely

There's plenty of iconic non-Reserved stuff they can print from the first two years of the game, such as Mana Drain, Demonic Tutor, Karakas, Mishra's Factory, Serendib Efreet, Maze of Ith, Mind Twist, etc

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Shortest Path posted:

Iconic masters is going to have a bunch of lovely Modern and recent Standard cards that are "iconic" like Generic Big Hydra/Dragon/Angel and Siege Rhino and Baby Jace, is the difference.

Yeah, basically. I mentioned a bunch of powerful stuff, but the first two-year stuff we're likely to get is going to be more like Icy Manipulator

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Entropic posted:

If we're going for "Iconic" cards from early Magic, you gotta have Shivan Dragon, Hurloon Minotaur and Craw Wurm in there.

With 75 sets (74 expansions through Amonkhet + Alpha), they can do 2 cards from every set and still have room left over. Hell, even Homelands can offer up Baron Sengir and Memory Lapse.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Entropic posted:

That was in Alliances wasn't it? Another card with multiple arts in the same set!

I actually miss when they did that. I think it was only Antiquities, Fallen Empires, Alliances and Homelands, right?

Is the excuse for not doing it any more that it's hard enough for new players to recognize all the cards in a limited environment with just one art for each? I guess that holds for Limited but it seems like a weak excuse for constructed with all the different art reprints every set ends up having.

I think if they did it now, it'd be significantly less confusing than they think, since their art direction is much more controlled and consistent now, so you could have like 3 versions of a creature in the same art style that formed a panorama, instead of 3 versions in completely different art styles depicting completely different types, a la Fallen Empires:

They'd have to pay for extra art, but they already do that for basics lands every set and it doesn't seem to break the bank.

Yeah you don't really see it now. They did two arts for Ertai in Invasion, and they did an alternate art for the foil Kaya in Conspiracy 2 but as far as I know, that's it.

e: agree that the reasons for not doing it on commons are solid, though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Angry Grimace posted:

Shivan Dragon would be an okay open if they kept Melissa Benson's art and not the generic gently caress dragon they've used since what, Sixth Edition?

That thing is so loving gross. I didn't particularly love Benson's art (her Nightmare is much better), but it was full of character that the yellow turd they put out in 5th edition or whatever lacked

Ditto Serra Angel, though the most recent one is OK if also generic

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

clamiam45 posted:

This is the high water mark of that meme that everybody involved with Magic does. When you want to prove a point or make an argument, just conjure up the absolute dumbest motherfucker imaginable and talk about how it would scare him.

I don't think it has anything to do with the hypothetical 'dumbest idiot player.' Rather, I think it was more about whether younger players (the "Yugioh crowd" if you will) would be turned off by the idea of playing a game that was 20 years old. Think more "Magic? That's the game my fuckin dad plays"

It was still a very, very dumb move.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PJOmega posted:

The problem with iconics is making then draftable.

Shivan Dragon as a rare in a $10 pack would be bullshit.

Shivan Dragon as an uncommon breaks drafting those $10 packs.

I'm certainly curious how that all will turn out.

6 mana for a 5/5 flyer in red at U isn't gonna break your draft, particularly if the format is also sporting Mahamoti Djinns, Ernham Djinns, Serra Angels, and Sengir Vampires at Uncommon.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mandatory lesbian posted:

you know thats a funny post in light of yugioh being almost 20 years old itself

Yeah but it didn't hit the US until the early 2000s and hit its heyday around 2009/2010. Flash back to 2010/2011 when the decisions were being made for what to do for Magic's 20th anniversary, and you can see how a bunch of older execs worried about the game's loosening grip on younger players and the competition might get squeamish about advertising how old their game was.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

dragon enthusiast posted:

In hindsight, pre-Ravnica sets being inconsistently themed with the rest of the block was an absolutely terrible decision. My favorite was Fifth Dawn being rainbow themed in a block about colorless artifacts

It wasn't all of them--Invasion/Planeshift/Apocalypse was pretty tight as a gold block

Odyssey block was loving weird though

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ultima66 posted:

It hit its heyday when the first season of the show was airing on American TV in 2001-2002. Also, 2001 was 16 years ago.

The card game didn't even get published in the US until 2002. The heyday of the card game was much later than the heyday of the show

e: 2009 was when they got their Guiness shout-out for being the best-selling card game of all time

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wasn't that true of the zombie lord too? I don't remember any other than Scathe Zombies.

Edit: Fallen empires had multiple Goblins-Matters cards in it and the only goblin was Goblin Chirurgeon, itself a goblins matters card.

I know this acutely because I did a giant fallen empires sealed event a while back.

Yeah but you gotta remember that they made those sets with no limit on cards, so the idea was you'd run like 15 copies of Merfolk of the Pearl Trident or Scathe Zombies

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ultiville posted:

That wasn't really true of even sets as early as Fallen Empires, though. Mostly they just hadn't come up with the idea that sets should stand alone and have mechanical themes, they were for the most part collections of cards maybe with some sort of story link. Fallen Empires was actually a step forward in those terms, though it was still really lose cf goblin tribal support.

Yeah, I just meant with Scathe Zombies and Merfolk of the Pearl Trident. The 4-of rule predates Fallen Empires

e: also Fallen Empires did a mix of Orcs and goblins

e2: Dwarves too. They definitely tried packing too much poo poo into each color

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 21, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I thought people were pretty happy with MM17

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Smashing Link posted:

They are not going to reprint Shivan Dragon ... it has been reprinted too many times and doesn't evoke much nostalgia even for those of us who have been playing since '94.

Man I don't know a lot about the new set, but I'd bet good money on Shivan Dragon being in the set. The fact that everyone immediately assumed the card would be in a set called "Iconic Masters" should be enough by itself to convince you to rethink your position.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I support any idea that results in more Quentin Hoover artwork.

I have some bad news

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

CompeAnansi posted:

I really find the CGI-style art that wotc is forcing on mtg artists these days to be incredibly boring and bland. I understand the need to standardize it a bit, so it's all recognizable as mtg art, but allowing more stylized pieces, like those that QH did, would be a big step forward.

It depends on the artist, like with everything else. Guys like Daarken and Chippy do great work and theirs is all digital. Likewise, there's lots of garbage art on the older cards.

That said, I'd love to see some new Anson Maddocks and Mark Tedin art

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 21, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Cactrot posted:

Mark Tedin is a cool guy, he shows up to most big events in the northwest. I asked him why he hasn't been featured on more cards recently and apparently Wizards just stopped calling :sigh:

Part of it is probably the change in Art Directors; newer guys have their favorites that they prefer to go to. It's a shame though, because I always loved Tedin's work. His and Maddocks' stuff would have been amazing in Shadows over Innistrad/Eldritch Moon.

I also feel like we could use more Richard Kane-Ferguson art

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mandatory lesbian posted:

i want them to use a style guide that allows for stasis to be reprinted with its original art

I never hated the Stasis art, it just felt really out of place in the game, which was my only problem with it.

That said, I liked the simplicity of a lot of the earlier cards. Stuff like the original Shatter, Mana Short, Disenchant, and Dark Ritual had iconic art that was really eye-catching without being overdone. My biggest problem with a lot of the modern cards is that too many of them try to cram too much into a small box and it ends up being busy. I don't love the frames, but I like the art on most of the new Invocations because a lot of it is relatively simple and evocative (e.g. the new Dark Ritual).

e: Ironically, most of this simplicity came from having no time to complete the set, so guys ended up rushing to get a bunch of cards done. Maddocks did an interview a while back where he mentioned doing something like 65 cards for Alpha because they needed someone to fill in gaps, and taking about 2-3 hours to do each card

On a set basis, it may be the second-weakest set of all time, but I love almost everything about The Dark, the only set designed by a Magic Art Director. It's such a visually evocative set with so many cool things going on

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 21, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

whydirt posted:

Yeah somewhere along the way the art direction seems to have gone from getting art that looks good at 1"x2" versus art designed to look cool as a desktop wallpaper.

Yeah I'd say that's one of the big issues. The overall level of competency has increased substantially over time, but it does seem like the art in the cards is a little too cluttered. Some of that is due to the need to do story stuff, definitely.

Otherwise, the stronger art direction is a double-edged sword; it helps the game's aesthetic overall, but kills a bit of that individuality that we'd normally see if artists had more freedom to just do whatever. But the flip side is we get fewer true stinkers with poo poo like Reverse Damage

e: The big shame is that we're unlikely to see any of the old art show up in Iconic Masters because of the royalty fee structure for older Magic art

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 21, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Went 2-2 in 2HG prerelease today. Format was much slower than I expected. Ran a removal-heavy WB Zombies deck with a Liliana and the 5/4 flying demon. Got off to a bad start when I drew literally zero removal in game 1, narrowly lost game 2 to a Faith of the Devoted that dropped early and hit us for 4-8 life per turn (rough).

Fun times, though. Ended up pulling another Liliana later on.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Super sweet

Now that you've held one in your hand, how do you feel about Invocations? Are they cooler in person?

They are cooler in person, but still not great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Shovelmint posted:

Good cards. I don't mean that to be flippant, but I think this is a less heavily synergy driven set than a lot of past ones. That said, there's still plenty of synergies and build-arounds you can exploit, but if you take creatures and spells that give you lots of value (embalm comes to mind) or put a ton of pressure (red/black/green exert or -1/-1) you'll probably be able to come out ahead of people that are trying to pull more complicated shenanigans. Fan bearer is a great card at common that can help deal with some particularly difficult threats, though not one you want to stack a million of in your deck, the bearer can tap indestructible gods, and break the protection on that 5/3 Embalmy Sphinx of the Bullshit Wind. Cartouches and Trials can be completely disgusting together, and range from decent to insane on their own. Evasion is particularly good, with embalm around you can chump block forever. If you can't do embalm, get some big butts. Or play aggro, and smash fast; fling and some repeatable effects can give you reach, and exert lets you get extra damage in to let you try and steal games. Red in particular can just explode out of nowhere. As vanilla things go, I like Ancient Crab and Those Who Serve a lot, otherwise, you're gonna want your creatures to have some sort of utility effect or cycling. Luckily pretty much everything has cycling or exert or embalm or something else attached.

I'm excited for Monday, 7 friends are coming over with some prize packs to get us a head start on drafting. It'd be more exciting if online were lagging as usual, but it's still a good time.

There's a deck to be built around the cycling/discard mechanics, but you have to go for it. It takes more than a few cards to make work well.

The green cartouche is really good