Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

C-Euro posted:

It's no Prophetic Bolt but I'll take it.

Also I guess it's Bolas vs. the world?

He's still got one or two on his side but yeah, it looks like a lot of the Ravnica players did an about face when they realized his plan was to gently caress them over and destroy the guilds they'd just taken control of

e: Yeah and Kaya probably got played. Her story makes it seem like she's an Assassin with a heart of gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Count Bleck posted:

Probably less of assassin with heart of gold and more of took over the guild full of undead to remove them. And then her boss walks up with an army of undead.

I mean her deal is getting rid of spirits who torment the living. Given how the guild operates, Bolas could have easily sold her on "these ghostly fucks are just hanging around, making people miserable, loving them over" and it's not even a lie

e:

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Since when does Boros have sky battleships with lasers? Does Golgari have giant cartoon drill tanks with ants painted on the side like a Ninja Turles villain? Because I hope to run 4 of them if possible.

P sure they had them in original ravnica to fight off the Simic Assault Zepplids or whatever

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ItBreathes posted:

Have they answered why anyone would give a gently caress about Ravnica? There are effectively an infinite number of planes, the odds that a Planeswalker has been to any given one is tiny, and they literally aren't impacted at all by what happens on any plane but the one theyre on right now. At least with Dominaria you had the conceit that all roads led there, and I think something about it having better mana, Ravincas just some place with a city.

I do get that the actual answer is 'because it's popular', and I don't expect a quality story out of Magic, but it's still dumb and bad.

While I'm ranting about Magic's story I'd also like to see a more in-depth look into how going from being a nigh-omnipotent being of pure will back to a mortal mage of not excessive power effects the Planeswalkers who lived through the mending. Sure they have Bolas and Lili doing things, but I don't feel like they've captured the trauma that would come with reverse-apotheosis.

Thanks for listening.

Because Ravnica is an infinite city and those probably aren't common among the planes. It's a place where planeswalkers of every color can likely find something that appeals to them, and probably a place where you can buy or find almost anything. As more planeswalkers end up there, it also probably became a place where they could meet up and get lost in the crowds. You'd give a poo poo about Ravnica for the same reason you'd give a poo poo about New York, Tokyo, or Paris.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

flatluigi posted:

the original defeat cycle was chandra, gideon, jace, liliana, and nissa

We already saw Liliana's Triumph--it's one of the promos

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

resistentialism posted:

or possibly she's an assassin hired by ghosts

She's an assassin of ghosts, for ghosts, by ghosts

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

vegetables posted:

Why did Nicol Bolas bother to kill all the ghost mafia, anyway? I missed that bit of the story.

probably because an unkillable ghost army would have been a problem for him

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Tainen posted:

I feel like the art in this set is a big step down from the last few sets. I wonder if their art budget all went to the trailer.

Seb can't do every card

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Bugsy posted:

Hot drat, did not notice that was RKF when I first looked at it. Come on wotc bring him back for more cards.

yeah if you're not pumped about RKF art on the blackblade reforged, just accept that this product isn't for you and move on

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

C-Euro posted:

Do you think this guy

And this guy

are homies?

No, you racist

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Distinct and iconic.

It does not look like six other cards.

Christ these are bad takes

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

C-Euro posted:

I'm always a little sad that I never went HAM on buying Urza block product, since it was right when I first started playing the game. That block had some absolute banger cards.

It was an absolutely terrible time to be playing, though - standard, legacy, block, and limited were all pretty miserable

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Entropic posted:

Was turn 1 necro ever even really a thing? Isn’t the normal play pattern to dump out the rest of your hand and then play Necro when you need to refill?

depended on the time and what was in your hand. Most of the time T1 Hymn was a better play, but getting early CA from Necro wasn't bad, esp when the plan was to wipe the board with disc anyways

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Alaan posted:

Common Corrupt is cool and good.

I was more thinking about Pestilence at common tbh

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Buffis posted:

Would have been cool if the nahiri art didn’t look like bad fanart.

Some of these are great though.

Seriously. The Nahiri art is so bad

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Squinky v2.0 posted:

that godawful Warcraft movie made fistfuls of money

the source material is just as bad and critics panned it, and it still took in half a billion dollars

I’m sure this was brought up during the pitch meetings

It made most of that in China

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

sit on my Facebook posted:

Love when people insist on arguing with evilweasel about law stuff, reminds me of when he still posted in USPOL

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

Is being able to counter creatures better than exiling, not losing life, and being reasonably hard castable?

I don't think so, but not being able to use it for protection on your turn if you tap out is a big downside

I think it's pretty great overall and much more interesting a card than Force. I'm a big fan of them adding cards on this power level

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

Print armadillo cloak you cowards.

Is the non-lifelink text of it enough to make it relevant?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

uggy posted:

double post but this set feels very difficult to evaluate. there's a lot coming out at once so seeing what slots in is the first approach but I sorta feel like there are cards that are gonna need a lot of time to realize their power. It's a good set

I agree with you. There's a lot of "this will/won't fit into X deck" but I expect a much larger upheaval of the format as a result of this many playable cards entering the format at once. At the very least, predictions with so much of the set remaining to be spoiled will likely miss a lot of other factors.

Set looks lit AF

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Buffis posted:

Rampaging Ferocidon is on color as well, but seems real janky.

Everlasting Torment also an option in red

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Tainen posted:

This is rad

holy poo poo

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Huxley posted:

Man, you know what's REALLY going to stink after all this?

Core set spoilers.

I'm extremely here for a hundred pages of "what the gently caress is this?" posts about a vanilla 4/5 for 4W

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

born on a buy you posted:

isn't oubliette just "phase out target creature until oubliette leaves play"

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. This is how I suspect they'll solve the issue.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zonekeeper posted:

Also the spell becomes cheaper if you overload it, which I think is a new take on that keyword's design space.

yeah I love this aspect of it. Really interesting design and I hope they do more with that

One of the things I really like about this set is that while I think the set is great, they've definitely left quite a bit of space to work with and revisit in future set (or two, even). Really hoping this does well and we get a MH2

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MrBling posted:

Seems a bit rude to downshift one of the most expensive cards from Invasion era Standard.

Like, that card was like $20 when that was the top end of what a card could be worth in standard.

It's worth less than a buck now so downshifting it is the right call

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kurtofan posted:

Its a pauper staple.

I lol at the irony of this every time the card comes up

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm gonna create a token Dryad Arbor and hide it amongst my token forests

Solve both problems by having a spell that makes a 1/1 dryad forest creature token

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

cheetah7071 posted:

Maybe invasion remastered would put the taplands at common, thus making the format playable instead of unplayable, like actual invasion is

They'd pull the RoR trick of putting one in every pack

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

This is a hilarious fuckin house in 2HG and I love it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Marketing New Brain posted:

WTF is this, it's so insanely narrow and punishing, are they reprinting Bloodghast? The fact that you are just going to get accidental 2 for 1's with this is so weird to me.

Could be we're due for more creature tokens in a future set

It's not a particularly offensive card as-is

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 18, 2019

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

that's cool as hell

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I imagine the argument is that if he's testing cards from unreleased sets, he could theoretically have a more optimized decklist ready to go when the set releases since he's had far more time for testing.

don't top players already get access to full spoilers of new sets early? I thought that's what led to a "god book" leaking a few years ago

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lone Goat posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillaume_Matignon#Suspension

he had access to the god book because he wrote for a print magazine that needed early access to the meet their lead time.

Seems like a good racket, I guess

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

lol who the gently caress wants a peasant cube

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Star Man posted:

You don't know Magic players very well.

I'm not even saying pauper/peasant cube aren't good formats, just that there's no need to have an official product for this

e: It's also last in voting, so it's not like there's a ton of demand

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

vegetables posted:

That’s a hard question to answer without knowing how much the price would vary; I would guess “by an enormous amount.” But I imagine even the cheapest possible cube Wizards would sell would still cost a hefty sum of money?

They usually release 4-5 Commander decks every year, those are about on the level of what I'd expect power-wise, and they run 100 cards exact with basics at $40 apiece. You'd need 550-600 non-basic land cards for a Cube, so probably somewhere around $200. Maybe the market would buy that?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lone Goat posted:

a box of Modern Horizons contains 540 cards and retails for about $200 and it's not a curated set.

Ultimate Masters contained 360 cards and had msrp of like $330

Commander is a product that already exists that sells 500 curated cards for $200 and that seems like a reasonable benchmark to me. Maybe $250, but I don't think the value they'd put into a legacy cube would be as high as a box of Modern Horizons or Ultimate Masters

e: Kalli's right on here with how the card value would be distributed.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ShadeofBlue posted:

Aren’t a solid 150 or so of those basic lands though? If you want a 540 sized cube with commander level value, it’s going to be more like $300.

Lands cost the same to print as anything else. The cost incurred by Commander sets is in developing new cards, which this wouldn't require. I suspect they'd try to keep prices under 300 for marketability.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kurtofan posted:

And Split Second is back!!

Sudden Exchange

instant

Split second

Exchange control of target noncreature spell and target creature. Then player who controls that spell may choose new targets for it.

wait, so you trade a spell for a creature (or vice versa)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Wurzag posted:

Why would you even need to know their name if you weren't throwing an "I'm a famous streamer, don't you know who I am?!?" hissyfit.

So you can address them by name in a conversation like a normal human being?