Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

TheChirurgeon posted:

It takes more work than it's worth for an 8-digit number imho, but you can work with customer service to dig up old DCI numbers and consolidate them into a single account. I had to do this to get my 6-digit number back in the day, since I no longer had my DCI cards from 1997. Mostly involved me giving them address/reg data and it took a while, but it's cool to see the old Neutral Ground events I was in show up on my Planeswalker Points record

I had a hell of a time merging my DCI numbers (somehow my Wizards Account one had a different number I had never used, and all my play history was bound to a different account with the same email address). Turned out it was because I had a bunch of Judge history on there (I'm not a Judge), I was all "wtf" and then I remembered I originally signed up for DCI to play D&D in my local store before I even played magic and they were counting sessions I DMed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

little munchkin posted:

Has there ever been a sacrifice archetype that actually worked? I remember it being awful in origins and BFZ as well.

It worked in Origins sometimes. Not the most reliable deck ever, but occasionally you'd pick up a critical mass of enthralling victors, acts of treason, and nantuko husks, etc to beat the hell out of your opponent with their guys and then put them back in their yard. I remember someone at the PT got there, and I did it once or twice at FNM.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Siivola posted:

There's also five decks, because that's the anthology reprint of the original 2011 Commander decks. Commander 2017 is due... November or something?

That's only one of the original 2011 Commander Decks. Evasive Maneuvers was C13, Guided by Nature was C14, and Plunder the Graves was C15.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Siivola posted:

Wow, gently caress, I can't read. I was almost entirely full of poo poo there. Thanks for catching that.

Reprinting only one deck from each year seems like a weird call. Were these ones particularly good or something?

No, other than Heavenly Inferno, which I think was the 2nd-best (or at least 2nd most expensive on ebay right now, behind Mirror Mastery) C11 deck, they're basically the hot-garbage decks of their years. I wouldn't be surprised if they literally repacked their overstock of those decks into the new boxes for this release.

The ones you wanted from C13 were Mind Seize and Eternal Bargain, in C14 it was Forged in Stone and Built from Scratch. I have no idea what was good in C15.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Sweet combo with Opalescence

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Subways Jared posted:

If I have a bunch of singles to sell, mostly from STD format cards, what's the best outlet for me to sell them through?

I'm fine with the tcgplayer.com low prices, or whatever I need to get rid of them for. My goal is to just sell the STD cards I don't use so that I can get some cash to buy the ones I need. I would be fine with trading them as well. I do know about the SA-mart MTG thread, so I'll check that out first. But I'm looking for what alternatives people use for selling/trading singles here as well?
Thanks for the help.

Deckbox.org lets you list cards in a "tradelist" and a "wishlist" and then will automatically match people who have tradelisted your wishlist cards and wishlisted your tradelist cards, and present you a set of opportunities to trade in bulk. This is a good way to swap cards for basically even market value, but it's dependent on finding matches so be prepared to have a bunch of extra cards sitting around. That said, this is a great first place to start before moving on to:

Buylisting is always an option. Obviously you're going to take a loss on the market-value of your cards, but it's the fastest way to turn them over. Check your LGS for their list and buy-policies, often they'll have like a 20-30% bonus on buy offers if you take payment in store credit. If you want to trade into different cards, that bonus can make a big difference in recouping the most value for your cards while still letting you turn them over quickly.

Then there is the new TCGPlayer buylist, which I just tried for the first time and found to be quite good. You put in all your cards, and they give you the best buy price for each card from every store that syncs their list with them. Then you mail all the cards to TCGPlayer, they grade/sort them, and pay you, and then presumably they mail the cards in batches to the destination stores.

Finally, you can list cards individually for sale on TCGPlayer or ebay. This can take a while, depending on how aggressively you price your cards to move and will result in you paying lots of hidden costs, like the time and expense of packing your cards into small-batch shipments (gently caress assholes who insist on bubble mailers with tracking for $20 worth of cards), plus fees from the sites themselves.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 26, 2017

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Deckbox owns, some people have various complaints about but I don't think I would have gotten back into Magic when I did if I didn't have it for listing out my collection and decklists, and also for finding people for trading.

The only complaint I have about trading on deckbox is sometimes I'll be making a trade where I'm sending 3 cards with a total value of like $20-25 and the recipient wants me to pack them in a bubble mailer with tracking. gently caress those people, but otherwise it's been a good experience, and usually the first place I look to dump my draft leftovers before buylisting.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Deified Data posted:

Wanted to touch base and thank you for the useful resources - I read the article, watched the video, lost my first game, and I'm still interested so there's that.

I have a limited base of how the game is played to build off now, so I'm curious about (casual) deck building - good strategies for beginners to pursue, most efficient products to look for, etc. Whether you have the time to reply or not, thanks for the time regardless.

If your plan is to play casual, find out what your friends are playing, and maybe ask to borrow a deck while you figure out what top build for yourself. If most of your friends don't play, you're going to mostly get you're games in at your local shop, which will range from slightly less casual to down right spiky, depending on your shop. If that's the case, you can buy into a budget deck for whatever format is popular to start learning and then upgrade into better decks to attack your local meta game as you figure it out and your budget allows.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

If it makes you feel better, Richard Garfield made the same mistake when he made the white boon in Alpha gain 3 life for 1 mana, and thought that'd be on par with drawing 3 cards, doing 3 damage, or getting 3 mana.

I've often wondered about this cycle and what other options white might have had for a gain three for one mana. How busted would three tokens or +1 counters for a white have been? What other white effects could have replaced healing salve?

V V V word, and/or untap 3 dudes perhaps? V V V

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 26, 2017

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

A big flaming stink posted:

i dont think he thought they were balanced since the cards were at different rarities. He just didn't realize how utterly useless lifegain is (would be in the game that had yet to exist)

in the original pre-alpha testing they were all common. It was during the early playtest rounds one of his friends told him that Ancestral Recall was totally busted @ common and he moved it to rare.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 26, 2017

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

I don't really play standard ever, but I kind of want to make a janky deck around 4x Tree of Perdition, 4x Soul Separator and 4x Illusory Wrappings. And, uh, Shock I guess.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

This is so awesome

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Xaerael posted:

Best one I've seen similar to this is a guy blowing himself out responding to an ulamog trigger by trying to flip a westvale abbey that was targeted by ulamog's cast trigger, thinking it would be a new object.

He probably saw someone save a flip Jace from removal that way, and didn't realize that transforming a card and exiling a card, then returning it to the battlefield transformed, aren't the same thing. It's a very easy mistake for someone to make.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

It's Jace the Body Sculptor.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Subways Jared posted:

The best one I've used is actually DeckedBuilder app on my phone. Very visual, awesome filters, easy to edit decks and auto-save etc. I just don't want to be doing this on my phone, I want to use my laptop.

Have you considered the Windows or Mac version of Decked Builder?

http://www.deckedbuilder.com/

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Hellsau posted:

e: Frank Karsten has brought us an important theoretical article: What happens if you put every creature into play at once?

Hushwing Gryff: making GBS threads in funhavers Cheerios since June 2014.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Shadow225 posted:

Man I just do not understand limited.

I know that with practice comes skill or whatever, but It also feels really bad to pay 13 to practice.

There just isn't any easy shortcut from scrub to guru short of putting in tons of reps, but doing the following can help improve your rate of improvement:

1. Listen to Limited Resources every week. Over time, you'll absorb a lot of knowledge.
2. Talk to the other players you draft with. Show them your pool and ask if they'd make any changes to your deck. Ask them what picks they might have made differently during the draft and why.
3. Draft in a friendly environment. If you're paying $13 to scrub out 8-4s on MTGO, where you can't even chat w/ the other players, it's going to be an expensive and sad process. If you're paying $13 to draft at FNM weekly and getting to know your local crowd/making friends, at least you have more opportunities to have fun/enjoy yourself even if you're not cashing out.
4. Watch good drafters draft online. Listen to what they say about their picks/plays. If you tune into live streams, ask in chat why they make any picks/plays that you don't think you'd have made.
5. Have patience and understand it's a long haul. I got back into magic 2-3 years ago, and have played mostly limited that whole time, mostly once a week FNM drafts. I've gone from being a scrub to what I'd consider "decent" in that time. By that I mean I can top-8 at FNM more often than not, usually go at least 3-1 at Prereleases, and other people at my store will occasionally ask my opinion on picks/plays/card evaluations. I don't play online and I wouldn't like my odds in an 8-4, and I don't think I have a shot at making Day 2 of a GP anytime soon.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Lawnie posted:

Actually a barely-competent magic player can make day 2 of a limited GP. I know, I've done it :smugdog:

I guess it would depend on how good I was at opening a bomb-rear end pool that day.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Shadow225 posted:

Alright, I appreciate the feedback. I do have a question about the deck specifically: how many enablers do I need for a Nest of Scarabs deck to function? I'm never going to draft it again, but is 8 not enough? 4 Soulstingers, 1 Decimator Beetle, 2 Cartouches, 1 Splendid Agony, and I partially count the Festering Zombie? I could have picked up a BR Minotaur and 1-2 more festering zombies, but I snatched pretty much every other -1/-1 card that I saw. If that isn't enough enablers, what does the archetype realistically look like in draft?

Well, realistically in draft, that archetype would be in BG, not BW.

Nest of Scarabs is not really the best payoff for the archetype. It's not bad, but the real payoffs you want to pull you into this deck are bomb rares like Hapatra or Archfiend of Ifnir, and a Decimator Beetle or two (btw, your list said Dune Beetle, not Decimator Beetle). You also want to grab some of the awesome Green cards like Crocodile of the Crossing, Exemplar of Strength, Ornery Kudu, Channeler Initiate, Defiant Greatmaw, Stinging Shot and Shed Weakness. When you're going deep and trying to make Nest pay off, you probably want at least 12 cards that put -1/-1 counters on things, and you probably want more of those to be repeatable. (Soulstinger gets to do it twice, but has to die, Decimator Beetle or Archfiend get to do it TONS). None of your white cards are going to help you exploit Nest. If you were in Green, it's not unrealistic for almost ALL your cards to support this theme.

Maybe this article will help you: https://spellsnare.com/2017/05/12/how-to-draft-amonkhet-gb/

Edit: as others have said, the other thing to know about this deck is that even if you "get there", you've got merely an "ok" deck, it's never going to be insane (although some of the individual cards can be insane, and you can win you games on their own).

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 25, 2017

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

TwistedNails posted:

Also I hope this Amaz guy wins the PT, it would be great. What would really make it great would be if he bumped a pro from top 8 not going to a draw with them in the last round, the whining would be amazing.

What if said bump caused said pro to miss out on Gold or Plat for the year... :allears:

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

SO is bringing mountain-tapping back. Taking down pretty much every standard boogie-man with a deck that costs less than one card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niGL1mwcjOs

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Star Man posted:

Is it sad that the thing I'm most excited about is the idea that Grim Lavamancer will have a reprint with the judge promo/Fire & Lightning/M12 illustration that isn't foil and doesn't have an ugly core set symbol on it?

Being picky about the set symbol is a bit precious, but you do you. Nothing wrong with preferring particular art for your cards. I, for one, am holding out hope that maybe Iconic masters will bring me a black-bordered, modern-frame, non-foil Birds of Paradise with anything other than the ugly Ravnica art on it (and if God is truly smiling, the Terese Nielsen art)

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Just run Enchanted Evening, Mycosynth Lattice, March of the Machines, Opalescence, Conspiracy (for Saproling), Life and Limb, Living Lands, and then play Ghostly Flicker and try to figure out what the gently caress just happened.

All of your cards are 1/1 Forest Saproling Enchantment Artifact Land Creatures and you flicker two of them?

The only thing I'm not clear on is whether they are green (because of Life and Limb) or colorless (because of Mycosynth Lattice), and if all your actual land cards will die as a state-based action because they temporarily become 0/0 creatures if you flicker Life and Limb and Living Lands specifically (are state-based conditions checked during resolution of a spell, or after the spell finishes resolving)

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 9, 2017

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

They're going to make Lightning Bolt evergreen.

edit: I'm just kidding, but I wouldn't mind seeing it back in rotation for a while. Not saying we should always have it, but also not that we should never have it.

Same for like Doom Blade, Counterspell, etc.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 9, 2017

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

gif Probst posted:

he pulled the force of will and rhonas. he wanted to take his packs and just drop then and there, TO said he cant drop, but he can buy and replace his pack and purchase an additional pack to add to the prize pool. he didnt want to do this, TO said that those were his options, and dropping during a draft would ruin the draft experience for everyone else.

gently caress that guy. When you pull a $150 card out of a pack, whining and throwing a tantrum because you didn't get to keep the $10 card too is douche with extra vinegar.

I mean yeah, sure he should be allowed to stand up and leave, but he should also be allowed to not be welcome back for making a scene over :10bux:

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

PJOmega posted:

Oh piss off. Store wanted to break the rules and can guarantee that isn't the only avenue they gently caress up.

Look, the guy can get up and leave or whatever, what's the store going to do?. It's not like anyone chained him to the chair and made him draft. But if the store owner then says don't come back, well that's on him, IMO, not the store. It's not like they can really do anything else, and if he's gonna be a whiny baby because getting a loving Force of Will wasn't enough for him, he's the one being toxic here. He's already got more cash value in his hand, in one easily sellable card than probably three FNM first prize winners. How much difference does he think the Rhonas is going to make?

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Voyager I posted:

Clearly they should take the same approach and give us an on-flavor functional reprint of Lightning Bolt.

EDIT: at common, just to make sure Pauper feels the joy too.

How much would Burn be improved by 4 more bolts?

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

GeneX posted:

We're going back to Dominaria. Holy poo poo.

How is anyone surprised about this? They've been telegraphing it for like a year already, and it's the most obvious possible thing for the big deal 25th anniversary...

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

Last 5 seconds of the video. Someone will transcribe it today

Going back to the video, I finally watched it now that I'm home from work. At ~2:01 the Art Director is showing off some of the Hour of Devastation art...anyone want to take an over-under of the big lightning picture right behind his head being actual Bolt?

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Someone could go to jail over this

Lol

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Entropic posted:

lol at common cycling lands that are strictly worse than both previous sets of common cycling lands.

Oh wait, I guess they have the Desert type, which presumably will matter for something...

Nice flavor/art win here, it's the old monuments, wasting away into desert.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

That reminds me, does anyone know of a place to get a good, solid box for my cube? I'm not super in love with hauling a $13k cube around in a broken holiday box (and they're all broken.) I was thinking of trying to find a local carpenter and seeing if they can do something but it would be kind of hard to describe exactly what I want. If there's somewhere I could go online to find them that would be nice.

I mean, if you've got a $13k cube, these don't really seem that extravagant

edit: also this recent TCC video seems relevant for you.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 18, 2017

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Hellsau posted:

Whole lotta FNM players are about to get owned by Dreamstealer + Larger Than Life. Eternalize seems real overcosted on this card considering it's a rare.

What do you think is a fair cost for a creature that can make your opponent discard 4 cards every time it isn't blocked?

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Soul Sisters gonna mutate into Cat Ladies.dec

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Sickening posted:

The art direction is going to keep this game popular for years to come.

Are they playing rock paper scissors to decide which plan they should use?

"Paper covers rock, we go with my plan"
"Dammit Jace how do you always beat me at this game?"
"You always go rock, Gideon"

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Sickening posted:

http://media.wizards.com/2017/hou/en_4dXI6XNB94.png

Oh boy look at this loving hot garbo at rare.

Seems fine for limited, especially if the format slows down a turn or two. It'll usually be pretty big by the time you can cast it, and its drawback also feeds it. I mean, it's not amazing, but I would play it if i was in black, and be pretty happy to take it third pick or so.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

rabidsquid posted:

it's not about the size of the snake on the board, attorney at funk, it's about the size of the snake in your pants.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Sleeves are kind of a personal preference. The most commonly-cited favorite sleeves are DragonShields, Ultra Pro Pro-Matte Eclipse, and until recently KMC Hyper-MAT. The KMCs got a new manufacturing process a few months ago and their quality took a nosedive. If you want to do a deep dive into the topic, Tolarian Community College regularly does in-depth reviews on pretty much every sleeve that hits the market, and you can view a playlist of all of his reviews here.

efb

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Carl Killer Miller posted:

What are the prizes like at your LGS? Ours gives packs for undefeated and x-1 players, nothing for anyone else ( so every x-2 drops)what sounds like a p. standard $15 buy-in for draft, $5 for tournaments.

I've heard of places, not local, that give a pack per match win and with robust prize support. Old stories, or just rare to find?

I play at Cool Stuff here in Orlando, and they fire off both Standard and Draft FNMs every week. Standard is $5 entry, Draft is $13. Prize support for each event is 2 packs/player, distributed to either the top 8 or top 4 players, depending on how many people show up that week. (I think the cutoff is at 12 players). You can substitute prize packs for $2.50/ea store credit. Draft play is cross pod, with a cut to optional top-8 single elim for weighted prizes.

Average week is around 15-20 drafters, either 4 or 5 rounds of play, and usually everyone agrees to split at top-8, so everyone in top-8 walks out with 4-5 packs or $10-13 in credit. Top-4 get the promo. Bigger turnout = bigger prizes. Months where the promo is actually worth playing for, we play out the first round of the top-8 and then split.

I never play standard, but they usually have similar numbers of players and the same prize structure.

There's also Friday night Yugioh at the same time, with similar numbers of players.

Oh, also you get a free slice of pizza and a soda for playing.

Basically Cool Stuff is awesome, and I'm glad I get to play there. The only store I've ever heard of that's better is Mox Boarding House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

From what I can tell eternal is this. Though I can't be arsed to build up yet another collection and all that.

Eternal is fantastic, and if you aren't playing it, you should be. You can easily get in a draft per day with only a small amount of grinding, and unlike Hearthstone, you get to keep the cards you draft, so your collection builds up fast. I had a full tier-level deck after playing for a week.

Shamelss shill: use my referral link and you get an extra starter deck and 3 packs when you finish the tutorial campaign.