Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Fair notice: I'll actually be doing a new Brewhaus thread for Ahmonket release.

I won't be using I CAST MOUTH as the title, though I do hope to yell it at opponents at prerelease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

C-Euro posted:

1. Play spells
2. ???
3. Profit

Yeah that seems weird

I needed a budget-ish modern deck because of the death of standard so I put this together roughly. I had a large swath of the cards for a version of this still laying around from their times in standard, minus the enemy fetches and the b/r fastlands. It's actually not bad for the type of pile it is. I run four Swiftspear because any less is just stupid.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Speaking of getting lost in the Fieldar Guardian Ban chat: I made a new Brewhaus thread that I'm about to go completely redo the drat OP to reflect the lack of Cat Combo!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818520

WE CAN ALL CAST MOUTH AT THE CAT SNAKE.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I love reading the salty comments of people pissed off that the lynchpin of their deck got banned and how it hurts their confidence in wizards. Guess the gently caress what you poo poo stain? Your rear end counts for about negative one billion percent compared to a casual FNM player who shows up and buys packs to have fun.

Cat combo was only fun when you were in a position to utterly ruin that turn with a Kozilek's Return or something along those lines.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

That actually looks like fun to play.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anyone know why the Brewhaus is locked?

I put up the new thread right as the Cat Ban happened.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Exactly this. Watch the deck tech with UR Emerge and when the guy gets asked why he didn't play Fiery Temper he makes a protracted fart sound for like a minute straight.

Which just got to show you how dumb of a deck builder this guy is considering U/R Emerge has had a pretty solid 75 even through infinite cat festival. Pulling Firey Temper from the 75 is the worst instant he could have yanked, especially for a 2cmc creature that just turns on opposing Fatal Pushes.

I went 3-1 with the deck on Friday with my match loss being due to screw in game one and and flood in game three of round 1. I beat the mardu 75 that won this scg fairly convincingly in round four.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

But seriously drop the money for the mana dorks or don't play the deck. T2 Geist is no joke.

It wasn't a joke in standard, and it's not a joke in modern.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

I respectfully disagree. I played marvel 3 times and beat marvel three times same with the two other people on emerge that I saw over the weekend. Game one you attack from enough angles and put on enough pressure that you can usually win through an ulamog, assuming they hit a T4 ulamog. Post board you have a hate package that is insanely strong. I mean I've been playing the deck for months so I have a good few reps, but chaining deep fiends still wins games.

I also haven't lost a match to mardu vehicles yet. G1 you have 8 main deck removal spells and 4 instant speed board wipes that you can recur from the graveyard. Post board you have more removal and hate for heart, plus two extra ways to flash back return.

What list are you on right now?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I put up a list in the brewhaus a few weeks ago, but I haven't played since then. It's was a bit of a spitball with some changes.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

Don't walk into censor ya dingus.

Pro tip: if you're on the play and your hand is gas aside from lacking a discard outlet feel free to skip a land drop on T2 to discard a stitchwing skaab. That's one of the plays I made against marvel at the PreTQ, then discarded 2x amalgam to bring it back during my opponents turn after they played a rogue refiner, then untap, play land 3 and visions.
Sandbagging a land to discard to hand size has been a surprisingly effective play. It catches so many people off guard.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Lgs I play at does $6 fnm, you can use credit for it, two packs per head. They start off with standard and if that doesn't fire they ask what people want to play. Either ends up a draft or modern.

Standard has been good enough that we're fine playing it.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Crackling Doom forever in Standard.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Magic: The Gathering: IS MAHVEL, BAYBEE

Let's at least get the reference right here.

East coast baybee Thraben were u at?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

DangerDongs posted:

Are the good U/R emerge lists running bloodrage brawlers and/or fiery tempers? I can only find one deck on MTGgoldfish

Most of the people here still playing it are on firefly temper builds. Reduce//Rubble is probably the best card from ahmonket to slot into the deck. Rubble is a beating.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Am I crazy in thinking that this Maria/Melissa commentary combo at the GP is pretty good?

I mean, the stream sucks balls, but the commentary has been pretty on point.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i think the one thing we can come together on is that frank lepore is the worst on that site, both at making content and being a human being

This is nominally the brew thread but it's pretty much only ever standard and pretty much only ever bad budget decks

You take that back! MURDERGOATS was the pinnacle of stupid brewing.

Seriously though, the last couple of standard seasons have sucked for brewing and the brewhaus keeps getting buried because there's nothing to talk about.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

poo poo, I think I'm going to be saying yarrrr a lot when I got to combat.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

This card makes my dick ROCK HARD. I loved me some Outpost Siege/older Chandra that had the zero that did this. Three spells in a turn isn't a stretch if you're set up for it, repeatable damage is awesome, and it doesn't completely suck in multiples because the transform is a may.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

But the current Chandra costs exactly the same as the old one and also does the same ability as this card. As a plus. And pings your opponent for 2 when you don't use the card.

You run three of this and three Chandra.

And shoot everything.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Ok mcmagic, here's a stupid deck I plan on running for FNM week one that you're going to love to pick apart:

Deck: Drakenap + Cannons!

//Lands
6 Island
6 Mountain
4 Ramunap Ruins
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Sunscorched Desert

//Spells
4 Abrade
3 Chart a Course
4 Lightning Strike
4 Opt
3 Reduce // Rubble
4 Shock
3 Vance's Blasting Cannons

//Creatures
4 Champion of Wits
4 Enigma Drake
3 Hazoret the Fervent

Display deck statistics

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Definitely don't do this.

In a 30 card minimum format where the metagame is skewed heavily towards mill, it’s a reasonable call.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I just about lost it with Better Than One. Side quest is great too.

I hope they reprint rear end Whuppin’

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

That Chupacabara rant was awesome.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Is that Path of Mettle deck as dreadful as it looks? Like red aggro with some crap thrown in. How does it ever flip Mettle against a deck with any removal?

From goldfishing a slight variant (-1 Hazoret, -1 Ahn Crop, +1 raptor, +1 chandra because of card availability) AND treating Path of Mettle as if it needed three creatures to flip, I can tell you it’s not even close to dreadful. EVERYTHING you have sets the motherfucker off and it helps gently caress with combat math.

The deck pretty consistently goldfishes turn five kills. And that’s with me being an idiot and playing path incorrectly.

What I’m saying is even if it took three creatures for PoM to flip, it’s completely In Line with what the deck wants to do

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 24, 2018

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

FNM report: 4-0 first place on a Mettle Red variant (https://deckstats.net/decks/107/898566-mettle-red)
Also, this game is stupid and I don't know why I play it sometimes

R1 2-0 v Maraud Vehicles

Nothing really incredible happened game one, but my start on game two was t1 mountain, bomat, t2 attack, mountain, double Rigging Runner. Opponent did eventually stabilize in game two with a Hazoret, but a top deck Ahn-Crop Crasher stopped that poo poo.

R2 2-1 v a spicy Approach deck running Sea Legs main.
Game 1 was just me running him down, which is what should have happened. Turn 3 Path of Mettle screwed up his game plan horribly

This is where the night starts getting stupid
G2
land, Rigging runner
Attack, land, Double rigging runner
haste creature, attack, he's at 10
small attack, settle the wreckage offs my bigger runners bumping my land count up
drop ahn-crop, drop hazoret swing for ten and get wreckage'd again
Concede two turns later

G3 AKA MAXIMUM DUMB
I take the play and Mulligan to four keeping 2 mountain, Daring Buccaneer, and a hazoret
T1 mountain, draw another hazoret
T2 mountain, draw a mountain
T3 DRAW ANOTHER HAZORET, mountain, full price buccaneer
T4 draw mountain, attack, cast hazoret, opponent has done little more than do a point of damage to himself with deserts casting Search
T4 draw strike, cash strike, discard hazoret #2 to hazoret 1 for 2, swing to drop him to seven. Opponent casts Gideon of the Trials with all his white mana, and plus' on Hazoret
T5 draw mountain, play it, legend rule Hazoret, attack for lethal
This game is stupid

R3 2-0 v Approach (warning, more stupid magic games)
G1 was basically what you expect
G2 was both of our decks being stupid where he couldn't draw something to try to finish, and I kept hitting land pockets after being on the receiving end of multiple settle the wreckage. I finally draw a sideboard Chandra with a lighting strike in hand and finish it. Worst game of magic I've been involved in for a long time, but was at least interesting to watch.

R4 2-1 v B/W Vampires
G1 I draw horrible and lose, the one main deck abrade has a nasty habit of showing up at the worst possible time in game 1
G2 He drops Authority of the Consuls turn 1. Path of Mettle helps weaken his board, Tower of Metzali shuts down most of his attacking, then Glorybringer finally seals the deal. I win at 5.
G3 was nearly a carbon copy of game 2, but I was in slightly better shape because I drew some removal before getting Path of Mettle online. Board states build up, but an alpha strike with Hazoret, a no counter Runner, a counter'd Runner, Fanatical firebrand, Ahn-Crop Crasher, and Glorybringer plus a Shefet Dunes activation was more than enough to end it.
Round 4 was probably the best overall match, took a lot of effort and planning. But the night was still stupid and oh god why do we play this game?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Path might be a very real deck.

Go back a few pages and look at my FNM report where I was on Path. The deck is legitimate, especially now that there are four different viable one drops.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

TheDemon posted:

I went 3-0-1 with Mettle Red at Standard Showdown last Thursday.

Matches were:
1-1-1 vs Grixis Midrange (black focus). Metzali ground out the game 1 hard, basically take 2 every time he didn't draw a threat and attack, and he needed 2 threats to attack. He didn't draw enough. G2 same but the second threat was Scarab God. G3 was anyone's game when we went to time.

2-0 vs WB Vampires. Good deck beat bad deck.

2-1 vs Mono-Red. First game was a hard aggro-fest. He got me on the swing back facing lethal thanks to his draw, but to be fair I made a few combat math mistakes. One draw for either of us would have won, but I mucked it up. G2 I slapped down my secret sideboard tech Authority of the Consuls turn 1 it won the game in crushing fashion. G3 I hit him with Authority on my turn 2 and he drew pretty badly.

2-1 vs Grixis Energy (red focus). Game one I beat him hard and fast on the play and the only card I saw was treasure map. G2 he powered out Phoenix into Glorybringer into Glorybringer and despite a flipped Mettle my draw was too slow. G3 Authority of the Consuls stopped Phoenix into egg into Glorybringer and I beat him down in those extra turns.

Overall I like the deck but I have to say... Authority really did work and seems great against the meta. When you're constantly on the attack it hits hardest, it crushes the Red mirror which Mettle itself is bad against, and is good against many of the board clogging strategies like Virtuoso.

Your meta seems far more aggro/midrange than mine. Of the eleven people playing this Friday, there were five control decks, three midrange/GPG decks, and three aggressive decks (including me). I straight up wouldn't have been able to side in authority against half my match ups. It's worth considering over something like Kari Zev's expertise and a sentinel totem or something.

Edit: I tried Relentless Raptor initially and HATED it. How was it for you?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Cactrot posted:

*Fart noise*

But first strike totally makes up for not having flash :rolleyes:

(God I wish it had flash, it's not a bad standard sideboard card though)

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Tainen posted:

Challenger deck lists out and they are actually really impressive for 29.99

Red deck has a copy of Chandra and Hazoret
4x heart of Kiran in the vehicle decks

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/challenger-decks-lists-2018-02-23

Wow. I’ve already got all the stuff for the red deck, but this may prompt me to buy the U/W control shell.

These are seriously good.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

This legacy on SCG got me remembering that I had a really nice condition (probably considered lightly played) Beta Lighting Bolt sitting around and that I should really get a playlet of them.

Then I looked at prices for heavy played/damaged bolts and kinda backed off of that.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Fight with Fire

2R
 Sorcery

Kicker 5R (You may pay an additional 5R as you cast this spell.)

Fight with Fire deals 5 damage to target creature. If this spell was kicked, it deals 10 damage divided as you choose among any number of targets instead. (Those targets can include players and planeswalkers.)

This seems like some drat good limited removal.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

mcmagic posted:

This 4 color Pyro list is ++++

I slapped something kinda close to it together and ran it at a LGS modern event. 3-0 second place (2-1 gifts storm, 2-0 GDS, 2-0 a GB token creature brew). I had a bit more white in the deck as well, but drat is it good.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Sickening posted:

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/deck_tech_fourcolor_pyromancer.html

Brennen was talking about it with a group next to me at the open and he said more than a few times that he doesn't think the deck is that good. Its modern though so anything goes.

If you're already on Mardu Pyromancer it's not that much of a stretch to lower the white count and go more jund for BBE.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

If you open a pack of M25 and get a JtMS and a foil Tree of Redemption, is it a good pack of a bad pack?

This got opened by someone at my LGS last night and nobody can figure out if it’s good or bad on the whole.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Holy crap that's the best.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Well, the burn deck on camera just crapped all over itself repeatedly.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Someone talk me out of building this Four-Color Pyromancer deck because I'm looking at the mainboard and thinking "hey I only need $20 of cards to finish this deck..."

Needs more Bloodbraid.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Yeah, it’s probably the most lol worthy card, but the frames are awesome enough that I want a playset or the.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Look at all those Low Tier play mats people are using.

Getchoselves a Savage Punch playmat (I also have a Darkstalkers - Morrigan mat that I use)