Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yes we all want more of such memorable characters and Arlinn Kord and Dovin Baan and Saheeli Rai.

But seriously though, Sorin Nahiri and ObNix are ok.

Garruk is also ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Six-digit DCI number-haver here. I think you had to register prior to 2000...I believe it was around '96 for me.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
They can get rid of the reserve list but it won't lead to an appreciable decrease in the cost of Vintage or Legacy staples. They will very carefully control their print runs and make anything super valuable a "Masterpiece". At the end of the day it will make very little difference for people trying to get into those formats just like Modern Masters has done gently caress all for Modern affordability.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

What??? Masters sets have done wonders for prices of singles. The prices tend to go back up because more people buy into the formats and increase the demand.

Exactly. It's great to expand the format but the prices always rebound.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

What do you think happens to the prices if masters set don't come out? If you believe anything close to what they are now loving slap yourself.

Taking 5 seconds out of your day and looking at the price history of staples and total prices of decks now compared to before should give you a clear picture.

Long-term prices will go down if the format stagnates and dies because of a lack of players. Short-term prices may decrease but if Wizards does their job ten years from now MM2027 will still command a premium because "prices are still too high".

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Does this describe the modern format in any way? Think about that for a little while.

Back to my original point -- abolishing the reserve list means nothing if they don't print a certain volume of cards. Modern Masters sets have put a dent in prices of some staples but it is still an expensive format to get into and I don't see Wizards having any incentive to change that as long as they keep trying to make Standard work.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I apologize, I don't keep a close eye on prices and have most of the staples already so I may have underestimated the reduction in prices.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Rishadan Port, Entomb, Unmask are all standout cards to me

Squee might have a home. Rebels probably wouldn't make the cut but I could be wrong. Invasion block has tons of great cards though like Absorb and Undermine, Fire/Ice.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
They are not going to reprint Shivan Dragon ... it has been reprinted too many times and doesn't evoke much nostalgia even for those of us who have been playing since '94.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

joats posted:

With cycling, 1-1- targets, and exerting, the games feel far less linear with multiple lines of play. It's the most enjoyable sealed event that I have been a part of.

Good to hear.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Standard:

No changes

Modern:

No changes

Legacy:

Sensei's Divining Top is banned.

Vintage:

Gitaxian Probe is restricted.

Gush is restricted.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-24

That seems fine to me.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DangerDongs posted:

The cat really needed to go for Standard, and Amhoket is not going to change that.

Sorry I wasn't thinking about Standard since I don't play that format.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Why did they kill off Block Constructed anyway?

edit:or if not why don't they promote it more

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
My 5th edition Deathgrip will only go up in value now.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I want to win with an old-school blue permission deck that wins with Misthollow Griffin cast from exile after I RFG it to pay for Misdirection. I know it's a bad idea.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Bring back Block Party as a format!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Marketing New Brain posted:

I mean Jace uptick was definitely unpleasant but I think not that different than any slow control deck win con. Being drownyarded out or towered out is all pretty much the same, the format had fetchlands fateseal wasn't even a real lock.

People just hated the card because when your deck cost 80 bucks and a JTMS was 100 it felt unfair. It's one of the most popular cards in other format with a ton of people begging for it to be unbanned, right or wrong.

Emrakul also wasn't slow torture, it was actually very quick, it's just being mindslavered is the actual ultimate feel bad in magic that most competitive players will scoop rather than go through it unless their deck is designed to be immune lack Lantern control or something similar. It's an insanely dumb ability to put on a to cast trigger on a card that's pushed to see a lot of play.

Let's not forget Rishadan Port for a long run of inducing frustarted semi-helplessness in opponents before you get around to killing them.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
All the planes in the multiverse are Bolas' dragon eggs. He allows them to grow up and hatch, then eats them.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dehtraen posted:

BW Zombies just wrecked GB without breaking a sweat

This gives me hope.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It's garbage that blue continually gets the most mileage out of what should be 5 color mechanics. I say this as someone that loves pure blue permission decks.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

Seriously though hexproof was a mistake. If only it was "Hexproof X" where X was a generic Mana cost to target it, ala Frost Titan.

That's actually quite a good idea.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

They should just have a 2WB card named "Hour of Devastation" that destroys all creatures.

Even 3RB "destroy all creatures and planeswalkers" would be useful since Planeswalkers would be nice because Planeswalkers have a tendency to dominate board states and even poop out dudes.

We definitely need a well-costed answer to Planeswalkers. How about 3RB, destroy target planeswalkers, deal damage equal to its loyalty counters to each creature that player controls.

edit:
maybe 2RB would be better costed

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 12, 2017

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hmm. I wonder if there is an argument for building Modern Fish and then gradually upgrading to Legacy Fish so you can play both formats.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Yeah I've sold out twice. Usually I submit the list to either Cardhoarder or MTGOTraders and take whichever one gives the better cash value, never tried credit. I can't imagine trying to sell it all individually is worth the time investment.

I've seen some pretty big collections sold at Baltimore's SCG event. Not sure what kind of a value you get but you can walk in with a stack of cards and leave with cash.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
What are some of the best strategies against all of these hyper-efficient Delver/Death's Shadow type of decks? It seems like resilience to discard is the key element.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Lots of removal, able to go late, and yeah resilient to discard effects. Basically you also play Jund, Abzan, or Grixis but instead of Death's Shadows you play more removal with 3-4 CMC creatures and/or planeswalkers.

Hmm we need a sweeper card that has the wording "if an opponent forces you to discard ~ instead it gains suspend and put 2 time counters on it". That would be good against all these drat weenies.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Marketing New Brain posted:

Honestly, standard would be so much better if loving Duress was a card. Having the discard spells be 2 cmc slows your development too much. It feels like the most important safety valve cards were taken and as a result people just can't build decks to interact properly with what they've printed.

This but also Counterspell, Lightning Bolt, and Path to Exile.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Subways Jared posted:

If you were going to do some block drafts, or rotchester draft format (I'm undecided yet)...

Which 2 of these blocks would you choose to draft with?

Lorwyn-Shadowmoor
Time Spiral
Ravnica
Kamigawa

TS Rav

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

Bring back exalted for a set so we can have cheap Noble Hierarchs again.

Prediction: Will be an "Expedition" equivalent in Return to Alara.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I think Attune with Aether is at worst of equivalent power level to Rampant Growth.

I'd say more powerful, though narrower.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

The actual reason they don't reprint that card is pretty obvious: they're hugely up their own rear end in a top hat about Planeswalkers and took out anything that would effectively deal with them other than combat damage.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Tales of Woe posted:

my favorite recent basic land art is the Temur forests from KTK https://scryfall.com/card/ktk/267 https://scryfall.com/card/ktk/268

basically I want more land art that looks like black metal album covers, or caspar david friedrich paintings

Thats's a good find, thanks for pointing it out.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I hope the GW get scattered across the planes and we don't see them together again for a long, long time.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
How does the counters enchantment interact with Phyrexian Unlife?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
ReclaimIng Dominaria from slivers could actually be a cool Alienesque storyline.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Is that a rare?

Looks perfect for my "all cute" Phelddagrif deck!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

When you think they can't make their flavor text any more boring...

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Wasteland in Modern.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I really want to build a WRx (UWR, let's be real here) control deck in Modern that wins with Assemble the Legion. I feel like I've seen one in the past few months but I have no idea where.

I recall this. Vaguely remember it also running Keranos but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ZeroCount posted:

Ominous Sphinx is going to be a loving chore to play against in Limited

Reminds me of the joy that was Troubled Healer in Prophecy.