Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

YggdrasilTM posted:

He tried to make an artificial god using nightmares.
He also fought with Dack Fayden in the comic book, I think.

Didn't Ashiok briefly succeed and making a nightmare god before another god squashed it?

Story beats that were completely ignored by wizards previously: Mentioning the B/W angel sister on Innistrad and then never referencing that again.

Story beat they will probably also ignore: The 3 missing gods on Amonkhet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mandatory lesbian posted:

the idea of a sequel hook never made sense to ya huh

Not when the dangling sequel hooks are better than the story we did get, and I'm still calling odds that they just casually never revisit these points

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Pontius Pilate posted:

Went 3-1 at modern night with grixis death's delver losing the final match while 14 people watched me make mistakes on twitch. Got enough credit for half of a French snappy I picked up tho :toot:

Nice work! I became modern league champion today. Beat burn, affinity, and jund to work through top
8 and won $150

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Went 4-1 including winning a game I had no business winning with glorious end and opening the greatest synergy pool I've ever seen in a sealed event.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DoctorOozy posted:

Did anyone get Glorius Ended? I did. It was... :)

I glorious ended someone out. It was great.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I've been trying to order those bordifies white border precise fits for my deck and literally nowhere has any in stock, and even fewer places ship them to Canada. I went to the sleeve makers Facebook page and asked and they gave me an answer apologizing for opaqueness so I don't think they're English speaking ?!??

I just want to troll people with my sleeve choices :/

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I just think these look great

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Siivola posted:

That makes me deeply uncomfortable.

I hope you're mixing old, new and full-art lands in there.

My plan is to use black border precise fits for my unlimited basics, and white border for every other card in the deck.

its me glenda posted:

tell me those are white border perfect fits

Yes. They're technically borderfy precise fit white border. They're sold out everywhere that I can find and the maker doesn't ship to North America yet. If you can find the white border precise fits and ship them to Canada, send me that link!

My plan is to use them in conjunction with those ultra guard sleeves that have the matte black inside.

Which would ideally lead to T1 playing a black bordered basic that uses the word "tap" on it, and using that to cast a white bordered judge foil noble hierarch that has a tiny black outline around it from the ultra guard sleeve.

I assume at that point my opponent scoops in rage.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Entropic posted:

So are we supposed to recognize the weird knobbly staff that Elder Dragon God Pharaoh Legend Bolas is stealing in the art of Dispossess?

Obviously that's Feldon's Cane. Reprint confirmed.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Anybody who pays for scg have the tom Ross mono black list? I just saw the preview video of:

T1 2/1 zombie
T2 scrounger
T3 ballista for zero triple bone picker

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DoctorOozy posted:

I'm at work so can't post it but I did play a dozen games on xmage with it last night. It was pretty bad... I just got stomped by Mardu, GB and RG Glory.. and most other things. It just felt anemic and weak and my few game wins were only ever due to bad luck across the table.

That's a bummer, I love me some mono black aggro.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

MrBling posted:

Maybe I'm just lacking in imagination (or in EDH knowledge) but what makes Yisan, the Wanderer Bard an oppressive commander? It just seems like a very slow way to get small creatures out of your deck.

A toolbox tutor who can find whatever card you need slowly but surely?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Soul Glo posted:

Anybody got a link to a fun Fling list? I saw someone posting about one that used Pummeler and Fling the other day.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/603520#paper ???

Edit: Cheaper and better version: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/629228#paper

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 5, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Bugsy posted:

68 cards? :confuoot:

Also no sideboard I'm just pulling lists I thought looked cool.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tales of Woe posted:

SCG's going all in on Modern, the only Standard opens for the rest of the year are the release weekend ones.

Dope.

I'm going to a modern 5k at the end of the month. Bringing bant spirits, am stoked.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShadeofBlue posted:

Bant Spirits is an awesome deck. It needs a few more 2 drops, though. I've actually been trying out some of the hateful spirits in the 2 drop slot, maindeck, like Kataki, and it hasn't been too bad. I like it better than running Phantasmal Image anyway. I saw a list where someone ran 2 of the original Thalia main, I want to try that also.

Hmmm. I actually run with 3x Phantasmal Image because I like the card so much. Kataki is a 2-of in the board along with 2x meddling Mage (my loving favourite sideboard card)

OG Thalia interacts poorly with CoCo

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

What's the pauper meta looking like? I played Kiln Fiend/Cyclops last year and goddamn love it, aside from folding to MBC basically instantly. Haven't kept up with the format, though.

Izzet blitz is still really good. I'm a huge fan of playing acid trip because it's such a horrible deck. I also built mono black for paper pauper, and elves and goblins. Some bogles, affinity, and tron locally as well.

Play whatever you want, it's pauper.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShadeofBlue posted:

The CoCo interaction is definitely a concern, although I've found that I often want to cast CoCo last (since it's more reliable to play stuff like Spell Queller, or a Hexproof provider, rather than hoping to hit one with the CoCo), so I think most of the time I'm okay paying the extra mana. That said, I've only played the deck through a couple of leagues online, so I'm still learning the ropes.

For Phantasmal Image, how often are you copying an opponent's creature with it? I find that I'm only happy with it if I'm copying my Drogskol Captain. Otherwise, it doesn't get flash from my Rattlechains, so it can't even be used as extra Spell Quellers, or as a surprise hexproof provider. I did copy an opponent's creature once or twice so they could trade in combat, but that's a pretty lame use of it. Maybe I'm expecting too much from it, and it's fine just to be Selfless Spirit #2 as extra insurance? I don't know, it feels like the deck benefits from having a variety of spirits out more than doubling up on any (except for the captain).

Thalia ruins your chance if a a T3 coco with an Noble.

Top things I have copied with phantasmal image:

- captain (super good)
- selfless spirit
- mausoleum wanderer (pumps easily)
- spell queller (on coco)
- meddling mage (also very good)
- noble hierarch (exalted Trigger)
- wurmcoil
- ulamog (coco into it)
- emrakul (coco into it)
- that 15/15 wurm (coco)
- snapcaster (once targeting coco and once for an emergency path)
- kor firewalker

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't know who first started playing that in Merfolk SBs but it is probably the best thing out of the board for it (outside of Hurkyl's Recall which you need for that matchup.)

I've been seeing that pop up as a 2 of in the bant spirits board as well recently .......on that note

Count Bleck posted:

Play Merfolk.

The combo is that you assemble multiple lords and run your opponent over in your fishmobile. I'll even give you some sick tech.

Unified Will.

Play bant spirits because it's the most fun.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 11, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

My buddy was on this today. It looked cool as hell. We split the finals

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

whydirt posted:

Why bring in the Fumigates at all if you're not going to cast them in what appears to be a tailor made board state for them?

Edit: Yeah I can see wanting to play around Transgress, but in that case just don't sideboard and dilute your deck.

How do you not back to back fumigate to buy at least two turns?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Travis Woo looks like a bad master Splinter cosplayer. He also looks like he smells like pee.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

Filtering is still good even if you aren't allowed to have good cantrips in Modern, it still adds value with Snapcaster (who is an honorary Spirit / Faerie), and in the case of UW Spirits you have nothing else to do on turn 1 other than Mausoleum Wanderer. It's undoubtedly the worst card in the deck but the next best option is Topplegeist in a deck that doesn't even have four card types.

Bant is the better version of the deck but I'm not spending $250 on Hierarchs and it's not really the same without them.

If you're playing u/w definitely play with vials and Thalia's.

Also loving lol at noble prices. I picked up a play set of judge foils for $50 each years ago and I have no regrets.

But seriously drop the money for the mana dorks or don't play the deck. T2 Geist is no joke.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShaneB posted:

If you can believe it, it's been SEVEN MONTHS since that happened. Time is crazy. :(

Here's that list: http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=108812

It also top 8'd SCG Baltimore in February

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=14781&d=289003&f=MO

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They keep them out by offering more casual prize splits and being welcoming to families and younger kids. Grognards are usually spikes and thus play elsewhere, or down the hall at the wargaming tables, heh.

Honestly Seattle is spoiled for choice for LGSs. What it's really missing is larger tournaments.

Why is there no GP Seattle ?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

I agree, I can't see a single thing in modern getting banned until something from a new set breaks it. You can't ask for a more diverse format.

Modern is incredible right now. I mean just look at this range of decks and archetypes.

http://mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=222&meta=51&f=MO

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DangerDongs posted:

U/R Emerge folk, how can Mardu beat you unplayable draws aside?

They mostly cannot.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DangerDongs posted:

What is the appeal of Commit // Memory as a one of in U/R as opposed to something like confirmed suspicions. Is gearhulking the Memory side really that good, or is it more like an "oh poo poo" button for planeswalkers?

Both actually. Your opponent taps out during they own turn so you gearhulk memory at end step.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Went 3-1, 3-1, 4-1 across three events with r/u emerge this weekend. Deck still feels great.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Gustav posted:

Have there been any significant upgrades to the list that I don't know about? I've been playing mine mostly unchanged and performing very mediocre lately (2-2 and 1-1-2). Not fast enough to stand a chance against Marvel, and having a much harder time stabilizing against green gods, glorybringers and black zombies.

There have been two paths that the deck has taken recently. 1) add 4x of the 2 mana 4/3 discard a card Minotaur to make the deck more aggressive. I'm not a huge fan of this as it turns on your opponents removal.

2) main deck reduce//rubble and play tempo games, and add a wretched gryff to the main for additional kozileks return flashback.

I haven't faced Jund gods yet but I've beaten marvel before and after sideboarding pretty regularly, haven't lost to either flavor of zombies yet, and I have lightning axe for glorybringers.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Siivola posted:

Remembering rules like "0 toughness creatures die" is hard okay.

uuuuhhh there's a gaea's anthem in play, or: a wizard did it

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well think of it this way. G and B are the colours with support for -1/-1 counters. If your deck is only one half of those colours, you're using nest of scarabs to at best half its potential. Does that sound like it would be good enough, given that at full potential it will be balanced to merely great and not insane (since it's not a mythic)?

It's also not just, "how many of my other cards are enablers for this," it is, "what does my deck look like once i fill it with enablers?" Every festering zombie or additional soulstinger is a tradeoff against some other potentially better standalone card. You are paying for improving your nest gameplan by giving up power elsewhere.

One of the best limited decks I've ever seen had a guy making a Sultai -1/-1 counters deck with a splash for the U/W all token gain flying and vigilance guy. It was gross, and surprisingly consistent.

He got immediately crushed in the finals when his opponent ramped out a T5 Sandwurm Convergence.

Awesome Interactions.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

PJOmega posted:

I hope Amaz wins the whole thing. Grinding for the invite is insane, and a promotional player winning it would show solidly that it's a bad system for choosing who should play on the "pro" level.

I should get an invite. I have a T-shirt and I'm well liked!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Top 4'd a PreTQ today and it's r/u emerge.

Meta looked like 65% Marvel, but the top 8 was:

2x marvel
1x g/b constrictor
1x u/w flash
1x r/u control
3x r/u emerge.

Emerge also took down the whole tournament. A+ highly recommend standard right now!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

uninverted posted:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=113867

Reid Duke came in 4th in Baltimore with this traditional Jund list. I like Jund over Abzan if the field has a lot of abzan company, since dark confidant and all of the red cards (especially grim lavamancer) are great in the matchup.

How do I look at the rest of the top 8 for this event?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Regarding the dude getting internet shamed for an awful joke, this is a decent book about the phenomenon for anyone interested: https://www.amazon.com/So-Youve-Been-Publicly-Shamed/dp/1522609555

Edit: Also curious about the UR Emerge list(s).

I will post it when I get home

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

I don't think it has any better a matchup against Marvel than the mirror.

Play izzet emerge against marvel.

Play emerge against everything, win all the games

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

While UR Emerge is better in this meta because it's weak to Mardu, it's still a dog in the marvel matchup because marvel is just by far the best deck. I think playing anything else is dumb.

I respectfully disagree. I played marvel 3 times and beat marvel three times same with the two other people on emerge that I saw over the weekend. Game one you attack from enough angles and put on enough pressure that you can usually win through an ulamog, assuming they hit a T4 ulamog. Post board you have a hate package that is insanely strong. I mean I've been playing the deck for months so I have a good few reps, but chaining deep fiends still wins games.

I also haven't lost a match to mardu vehicles yet. G1 you have 8 main deck removal spells and 4 instant speed board wipes that you can recur from the graveyard. Post board you have more removal and hate for heart, plus two extra ways to flash back return.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 30, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Procrastinator posted:

Seriously yall talked about ur emerge for like a page and a half and nobody posted a fuckin list.

Jesus Christ

Deck: U/R emerge

//Creatures
4 Advanced Stitchwing
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Stitchwing Skaab
16 total

//Spells
4 Cathartic Reunion
1 Reduce // Rubble
4 Fevered Visions
2 Fiery Temper
4 Kozilek's Return
3 Lightning Axe
3 Tormenting Voice
21 total

//Lands
6 Island
7 Mountain
2 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole
23 total

//Sideboard
2 Dispel
1 Fiery Temper
2 Negate
2 Release the Gremlins
1 Hazoret the Fervent
2 Reduce//Rubble
2 Nahiri's Wrath
1 Insult//Injury
2 Wretched Gryff

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

Then you just get your Fevered Visions censored and the game is over.

Don't walk into censor ya dingus.

Pro tip: if you're on the play and your hand is gas aside from lacking a discard outlet feel free to skip a land drop on T2 to discard a stitchwing skaab. That's one of the plays I made against marvel at the PreTQ, then discarded 2x amalgam to bring it back during my opponents turn after they played a rogue refiner, then untap, play land 3 and visions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Sandbagging a land to discard to hand size has been a surprisingly effective play. It catches so many people off guard.

Agree.

I also ran a kozileks return out to kill my own skaab since my opponent had removed only the amalgams. The deck is great for corner plays