Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Angry Grimace posted:

I actually don't understand the logic behind the poly and mono artifact classification. Did Garfield really think it was too much work to type out "tap to do X?"

Well Garfield thought Magic itself would just be a small portable game to play in between rounds of other more involved games, soooooo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Cross-posted with the buy/sell thread: If anyone here is in the San Francisco or San Jose area, keep your ears open for someone who got their collection stolen, as it's up for sale here: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/clt/6095940211.html

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

https://twitter.com/drilmagic/status/858164224358526976

Fuckin' lol

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
First comment, I find that less intuitive that just having 0.5 mean an even matchup. That way you can just re-format into percentages if you want.

Second, that should all be calculate-able. When you win/lose, enter your deck, your opponent's deck, and the match result (maybe even the game result if you want to distinguish between pre and post board), and have the spreadsheet do the math. Just because a matchup "feels" positive doesn't mean it actually is.

Edit: I'm experimenting with a Google Sheet to see if what I'm thinking is possible.

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 3, 2017

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

ThePeavstenator posted:

Modeling harmonic behavior of deck selection. Basically the end result of this is going to show what the cycles of the meta look like. It's not going to be perfect but I thought it might be interesting to share the results of a rough approximation rather than just turning in a project with "Decks 1-8" and made-up numbers in each match-up.

I'm trying to find it but I remember reading a paper from like 10-15 years ago where rock-paper-scissors was used in the same way to model evolutionary processes. A small deviation in strategy (pick rock 40% of the time instead of 33%) set off a cyclical pattern where the whole population "evolved" winning strategies, then shifted as the "metagame" changed. It makes for some fun graphs, but it doesn't really assist in telling you whether rock is "better" than paper for all the reasons you just said.

If anyone is interested in a data-driven version of this (submit your match results, see the matrix), I could use a weekend project.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

clamiam45 posted:

This is based on self-reported survey data? :gonk:

I legit don't get how MTGGoldfish could have scraped MTGO results anyways. It's not like they'd ever publish an API for that data, so were they just scanning the old published HTML versions right off the website? Because that's the real :gonk: if so.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Subways Jared posted:

Can anyone tell me what set the opponents foil swamps are from in this first game? The foil swamps with the Japanese text on the gravestones. What set were those swamps from?

https://youtu.be/2LGv96HG8IA?t=31

Hard to tell from the small size but is it this? http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/apac-lands/swamp-blue-pack-spears?partner=mtgtcg

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Angry Grimace posted:

But is it collusion?!

It's co-poo-sion

I'll see myself out.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Sickening posted:

Cedric knew his opponents intentions which is basically the biggest issue to me. He knew he was trying to draw cards, his opponent then attempts to draw cards, and he scums his opponent out based on wording. I am glad the rules have evolved since then.

It's a pretty hard line to say that going by what your opponent says they are doing, rather than what they intend to do, is scumming. Especially at a GP; not knowing what your cards do and hoping your opponent will just let you slide on it is pretty bad as well.

Say you attack with two creatures, and I block one and let lethal damage through. Then I say "whoops I meant to block the other one." Can I argue that you should've known my intent and obviously I made a mistake, and you're being scummy if you don't let me take it back?

Edit:

suicidesteve posted:

The nice thing about this game is your cards do exactly what you tell them to do. I'm not even disagreeing with you, but it's the Borborygmos/Enraged thing again. There were a bunch of ways to resolve it that didn't involve losing the game but they went with the one way that loses. Of course that was Bob Huang, so it was extra scummy.

If I remember correctly this was different because it was Standard, and Borborygmos wasn't in the format already. So can you name a card with Pithing Needle that isn't even in the format you're playing? If I drop a Needle in Modern and name Deathrite Shaman, can I take that back?

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 9, 2017

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The Borborygmos thing was at a modern event where both Borbs were technically legal. Everyone knew what he meant when he said Borborygmos. Technically Huang was right but it still felt scummy to everyone watching.

Fair, but "holding your opponent to what they said in-game" is a lot different from "angle shooting based on a deckbox before the match starts." One is following the rules of the game, one is actively trying to circumvent the rules in bad faith.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Hey Wizards convinced Rebecca Guay to do the art for an entire comic book based on Homelands, don't hate.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Does anyone here still use PucaTrade? I just re-entered my collection in an attempt to get rid of draft leftovers, and it looks like promoted trades would theoretically let me trade unused cards for way higher than the actual value. But then I have a bunch of points and potentially no way to get rid of them.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Pontius Pilate posted:

I got out a bit before the site redesign and the very legible writing was on the wall then but mostly for more constructed staples. I knew it had gotten even worse but that's hilariously bad.

How is the site still going, then? Are people just trading low value cards back and forth while the point-to-dollar conversion slowly deflates to zero?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Hmm slow MTG news day, let's see what noted MTG journalist blogger and Twitch streamer David Leavitt has been up to lately:

https://twitter.com/David_Leavitt/status/866790014717497345

nooooooo

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 23, 2017

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

ShaneB posted:

NINE. HOURS. of downtime.

Also, has anyone here ever liquidated an entire MODO collection at once to a vendor? Did you shop around and find anyone who offered the best pricing?

Yeah I've sold out twice. Usually I submit the list to either Cardhoarder or MTGOTraders and take whichever one gives the better cash value, never tried credit. I can't imagine trying to sell it all individually is worth the time investment.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
It's as valid as when Sean Plott got invited and immediately scrubbed out. Promotional/marketing invites don't take away from the grind, they can let in as many people as they want.

If the complaint is "why bother playing MTG when I could become a HS streamer and make actual money while also making the MTG Pro Tour", then lol.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Has WotC said something to the effect of "instead of 5 of you grinders, we're inviting these ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* special *:・゚✧*:・゚✧ people"? I don't get why actual pros/grinders would even care about this other than some vague sense of "it ruins the prestige", which is absurd when you look at what the PT actually is.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

clamiam45 posted:

Seems like a dumb decision because WotC could just organize a celebrity invitational. That would be a much better way to show off star power than pitting celebrities against people who spent two weeks constantly grinding away on the formats.

Actually I like this idea. Take 16 highly popular "influencers" or e-sport streamers, give them a crash course and have them draft the latest set. See how the viewership compares when you use people who are actually comfortable in front of a camera.

It won't stop pros from complaining that they weren't invited, but at least it'll cut down on the "sanctity of the game" gripes.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Sickening posted:

On more pleasant news, who else is stoked for some modern this weekend. Vegas is less than a month away as well and I am loving stoked. :allears:

Goonmeet in Vegas? I've never been before and I'd rather not spend literally the whole time in a convention hall.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

ShaneB posted:

xmage users:
1) what server should I use?
2) how do I add a stop on the fly, like I do on MODO when I want to cast something in opponents upkeep/draw or something and don't have a full-time stop set?

1) xmage.de seems to be a little bit more reliable than woogerworks, but not by much.
2) You can click on the phases bar at the right side of the window to open up the "set my stops" interface quickly.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I am en-route to Vegas, hit me up via PM if you want to meet up with Cactrot and I when we scrub out on Legacy Day 1 and go get drunk! I'd rather play people for free than have to pay to enter side events the other two days.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Sickening posted:

I guess if you are going to do vegas you might as well do it big. How long you staying?

The whole week, out of town camping Mon-Wed but in and around the strip the rest of the time. Never been to Vegas at all before so this is a good excuse to be a tourist.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Alaan posted:

Is the GP Fri/sat instead of Sat/Sun?

Legacy is Thurs/Fri, Limited is Fri/Sat, Modern is Sat/Sun.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Some Numbers posted:

So his daughter's name is Lily.

That one's at least defensible; I have a buddy in Toronto whose daughter is named Alara.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
There aren't that many tokens I can think of in any format where you really need multiples:

Zombies
Elementals
Thopters
Cats
Goblins
Souls
Soldiers

Is that it? Does anything in Standard even make multiple tokens at once anymore?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

mcmagic posted:

LOL what a terrible take.

Corbin's slow decline into WotC shill/apologist has been really disappointing to watch.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
:stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I believe a Team Trios Pro Tour will be the first time Legacy is played at the pro level, maybe SCG is anticipating higher demand because of that?

If these prices stick I'm one step closer to selling out, that's way too much money in a box for my tastes.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Voyager I posted:

I think some people will tend to categorize the reallllly fast or combo-ish aggressive decks like Affinity or Infect of yore as unfair because they simply do their thing so fast that a normal deck won't be able to keep up, though I'm not really an expert on this kind of stuff.

I've never heard Affinity described as unfair based on these interpretations (which I think are correct). Infect is kind of unfair because it pseudo-changes the rules of the game; the infect player starts at 20 life while their opponent starts at 10.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I love that schedule, will definitely make Seattle and Santa Clara (any Standard & Modern players want to team up?)

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Lone Goat posted:

Maybe if you're living paycheque to paycheque and have zero credit to your name then spending your money on frivolous magical cards is not the wisest plan of action.

Fixed that for you.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

HMMMM

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Edit: ^^^ Does Ixalan have goats?

The Human Crouton posted:

Best to leave Lava Axe targeting only players and printing Lava Axe 2 that targets players or planeswalkers.

That would be insane, that's like a functional errata to every single damage dealing spell that's been printed so far. Planeswalkers would become incredibly powerful in Modern/Legacy overnight, because you're getting rid of a lot of ways of destroying them, particularly Bolt. It's way more likely that they'll errata old spells to read "player or PW" and slowly push out new versions with the correct language.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
It's worth noting that Thoughtseize is being reprinted with the Lorwyn art, not the Theros art, so sell your $400 foils now.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Trolling is good and if dummy speccers fall for it all the better.

100%, anyone who looked at Rishadan Brigand and said "yeah, this should be $20 due to Legacy play" deserves to get fleeced.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Is it eventually going to support Modern and Vintage?

What about Limited? Cracking packs is fun, even if they're pretend.

I suspect they'll work their way backwards through the sets to eventually support Modern, but no way do they go all the way back to ABU for Legacy and Vintage. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they skip a few super weird Modern cards like Panglacial Wurm that really stretch the rules.

Limited seems inevitable; if they have a stable way to play Standard, the draft portion is kind of just a way of building a deck.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

mcmagic posted:

So whats better Anti Storm tech in Affinity? Rule of Law or Thalia?

Probably Thalia, easier to cast and supports Affinity's game plan more than a do-nothing-else enchantment.

Canonist falls to all the same artifact hate they'll be bringing in anyways, like Shattering Spree, etc. Rule of Law's main advantage is that they'll have to rely on Echoing Truth instead of creature removal; it may depend on whether you're on the play or draw and can drop it before their turn 3.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Lone Goat posted:

New Huntmaster art is a woman

Ugh it's not called Huntmistress of the Fells, am i right fellas *slowly rolls away like the blueberry girl in Willy Wonka*

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
^^^ That's the best reason to use Legions!

Related: How many Un-cards are cube-safe and don't involve stupid physical games? Booster Tutor obviously, and I think Ashnod's Coupon should be in most cubes as well. Any others? The Cheese Stands Alone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

C-Euro posted:

Quite a few? I guess it depends on your definition of cube-safe. Is it primarily that it doesn't make players do silly stuff?

I think of cube-safe as:
- doesn't involve physically destroying the card in questions
- doesn't make you do annoying poo poo like balance a card on your head or talk like a pirate (no Gotcha cards)
- don't involve you building the cube around them (artist or flavor text related mechanics, 1/2 mana or power/toughness, etc).

Good examples: Cheatyface, Super Secret Tech, the Paper/Rock/Scissors animals, etc.