Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Siivola posted:

On that note, this is my first prerelease, any tips?

Your deck may be complete trash because your pool is just poor, it happens. You also might have a completely bonkers pool. Sealed is a crapshoot but keep in mind everyone is in the same boat.

40 card deck / 17 lands is a good start.

For a non-heavy mana fixing set, I try to stick to two colors. I determine the colors by figuring out what have my best rares ("bomb rares") that require immediate answers otherwise they take off with the game, best creatures or in some cases enough creatures, and removal. Check up CFB's limited reviews - pay attention to their "best commons" or cards they label "mythic uncommons" - these cards are usually exceptional. You also may have to play a third color just to get there for playables.

Pre-releases are usually pretty laid back and if you know of specific people at your store as good limited players you can always ask them to take a peek at your pool and give some pointers. Most people really into limited love looking at pools and building decks from them

In sealed at the local store level I frequently see people doing the following
- playing too many colors without adequate mana fixing in a non-multicolor set.
- cutting lands without really knowing what they're doing
- playing rares for the sake of playing rares. Evaluate the cards, they might be amazing in constructed but bad in limited. This applies to masterpieces as well
- not playing enough creatures
- not staying open to playing colors / archetypes they normally don't play
- not knowing what the creatures on the battlefield do. Read all the keywords and know what they mean / do on your opponents cards and yours. This sounds completely dumb but every prerelease people end not blocking something because they assume it has flying due to the art or miss things like first strike and get blown out in blocks
- not calling a judge because they are worried about confrontation, hurting their opponents feelings, or some other weird reason. If you don't understand something or you're confused calling a judge is OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

So I was looking around on mtgo league results and I keep noticing knightfall popping up every day. Anyone play this on the regular?? I have noticed I own every piece of this already.

Kelvin Chew has been jamming this for months and I guess he has been 5-0ing leagues most of the time. On the mtg mint card site he has a couple articles about the deck.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
We should start sprinkling rumors throughout the internet that this is the abolishment of the reserved list and Iconic Masters will have the P9 in it and the original dual lands.

Seriously though, how amazing would it be to sit down at an event to draft a set you know nothing about and the first pack you crack has a lotus in it?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Entropic posted:

Apparently someone at one of my LGS opened three Lilianas and a Gideon.

And went 0-2 drop.

Hah. Nice one.

Opened nothing worth more than $3, most expensive card was cascading cataract... blue was trash outside of two creatures and a couple of the cartouche, black was pretty much garbo (one removal spell, trash creatures), tried test building RW and GW, RW was way too low to the ground and had no real late game outside or "go as wide as possible." GW was great but I had exactly 1 removal spell, so I ended up in white green and had enough fixing to support a red "splash" for removal; 2 magma sprays, electrify, cut / ribbons and the RW uncommon battlecry guy. I played sacred cat plus regal caracal and both were disgustingly good especially with the battle cry guy and the exert "attacking creatures get +1/+1" - I even got to kill someone with the ribbons half of cut // ribbons thanks to gift of paradise.

Oh... and gently caress that green hexproof crocodile. That card is bullshit with the fan bearer or the artifact "can't attack / block" thing.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Rinkles posted:

Will modo last?

Andrew Cuneo vs Brennan deCandio?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

80s James Hetfield posted:

You I want this decklist bad. Is there a video of this match?

https://mobile.twitter.com/BDecandio7/status/857333821578129410

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

black potus posted:

Bob Huang says DRS should be out the Legacy door next and honestly I agree now that top is gone.

There's a joke here relating all the GRV's / "mistakes" he made at that big legacy tournament to this statement but I can't quite figure it out and I couldn't find anything to post from MTG Salvation

Other players known for legacy are saying similar things though

Sampatrick posted:

No creatures, planeswalkers, or lands

I only play the magic format where my deck gets to do its thing and your deck loses.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Release day draft went well. Was in UW Tokens, the bulk of the creatures in my deck had embalm, had the guy that gave Tokens flying and vigilance, two of the white trial, two white cartouche, the embalm clone, also had some control elements in my top end, exile top card of your library brick artifact, dusk / dawn, approach of the second sun. I won two games via Approach and it was glorious.

Having multiple trials out then casting a cartouche to return them then recasting the trials feels busted.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
A store in my area is doing some shady stuff. They no longer give out any of the Wizards supplied prizing / perks - FNM promos, release day promos, game day promos, playmats, full art lands - instead they are just selling these items as they're received. They also ran a league with promised prize support and pulled prizing shortly before the end of the league. The owners live elsewhere and work out of a different store (they have a number of locations). The employees that work at the store (that don't play magic) aren't doing this on their own and are being told by the owners from afar what to do. The entire group of players have decided to go elsewhere but a number of them are pretty pissed off and want to contact Wizards to let them know the BS that's going on - anyone have any idea how to go about reporting them?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

There is an email you send to or you can call wotc customer support too. The more descriptive you can be and the more people who email and call to collaborate the better.

FraudInvestigations@wizards.com

Which area by chance?

Thanks. An hour south of Seattle, far enough from Wizards backyard for them (owners) to not be worried that much, I'm guessing.

Lone Goat posted:

Send a dm to @HeleneBergeot on Twitter.

I don't have twitter but I'm sure one of the people at the store does

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Go poke around the wizards play network sub-site for the email of the Pacific Northwest West regional coordinator. I forget his name right now. Anyways that dude will be all over it within hours.

Perfect, thanks.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
BW Zombies just wrecked GB without breaking a sweat

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

sit on my Facebook posted:

Meh. It's pretty clearly the best deck in that room today, specifically, but there were at least 4 instances I saw where the opponent just punted away a win against them. It doesn't seem unbeatable, just the right call for a 48 hour old format.

It doesn't seem unbeatable but it is the current "no bullshit allowed" deck of the format, their toolcraft -> heart -> toolcraft + removal -> Gideon type draws are very similar to the Abzan Aggro fleecemane -> anafenza -> rhino type draws. Some decks just can't beat that.

Hope the PT will breathe some life in to standard.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

mcmagic posted:

Anyone buy cardboard storage boxes online without getting ripped off? Amazon is like 12 bucks for a 1600 count....

For one? That's crazy. LGS's sell those for like $3. Are you sure it isn't like a four / five pack?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I did a handful of actual drafts on mtgo and had fun but the cost was the biggest problem for me much like everyone else. The flashback drafts when they actually had cards worth something were pretty clutch though.

Lone Goat posted:

Some stores don't allow you to give them packs for store credit so by "reuse packs" I assume they meant "use packs as entry for the next draft".

They are talking about mtgo specifically, I think

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I can't wait for the people that put on disguises to donate more blood and get more drafts.

poo poo they better not tell people that they get cookies and juice during their recovery from donating blood in addition to their free draft otherwise they'll have a line around the convention center.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Walked posted:

I've played a bunch of MTGO drafts now; and my biggest complaint is that the time allotment seems insufficient for this set. I've won several matches to time (and lost once), whereas I've never run into clock issues in other formats before.

The true MTGO experience is playing a game when both players have removed all their stops due to their clocks being under 60 seconds and they are auto passing other than to discard. You unlock an achievement by winning the game, another achievement unlocks when you're on game two and you lost game one but you win the match due your opponent running out of time

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Wait, matches start today? I thought Gp's start on saturday.
You're right - they just do the trials / side events today.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Lawnie posted:

Reprint swords but with "target creature takes up farming"

Or with that promo art and "target creature takes up golfing"

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
This Ben Friedman draft is pretty rough.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
People targeting / attempting to kill creatures that were being sacrificed to cast an emerge spell also seemed to be another common point of confusion as of late. Having to explain that they didn't have priority and by the time they did have priority the creature was no longer on the battlefield and only hearing "ok, but I killed it, so emerge fails" is definitely one of the mind boggling moments of magic that I've encountered recently.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So this is pretty widespread? I think I'll stick to MTGO for a while until I get better caught up on all the new rules and mechanics.

In general, I would say no. But that being said it's a mixed bag. If your store is a more competitive one with an actual judge there is a higher likelihood of people following the rules / tight play. Scummier players at this store that are dreaming of being a PT champion might try to rules lawyer, but frequently these stores are usually the best to play at because they self regulate pretty well

Casual stores without an actual judge and less competitive play will probably be a bit more loose in terms of rules understanding and enforcement plus you get in to the weird situations where the regulars are buddy-buddy with the person who runs the store and they might be favored.

Prerelease events are the best/worst to go to - they are usually a cluster gently caress in terms of player knowledge, you'll have people that have followed the spoilers, understand the new mechanics and show up ready to play, and then you'll have people that (1) haven't played in 10 years but walked by the other day and saw that people still play magic, (2) play prereleases in the store and the rest of the time do kitchen table magic only where the rules are whatever they want them to be, or (3) have never played magic before and want to try it out. Go to stores with good judging staff for these.

I'd say the bulk of magic players (98%) are reasonable, non-cheating people, it's just the negative experiences we have once in a while really stand out from the good one. Like MTGO, the majority of the time people might only type "good luck" or "hi" in the chat if they interact at all but you remember the grumpy people that bitch you out because you're "a loving lucksack" or "a lovely player"

Tl;dr - like real life lovely people are around but if you go to a good store that has an actual judge you'll probably run into less of these types, if they do a "beginners night" or "learn to play magic" type events then you're probably in the right spot.

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 9, 2017

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Actually Huang was cool with it but it was a feature match and the judge there overheard it and paused the game and forced the dude to abide by the letter of the rules.

"I chose to have a judge enforce the choice he made rather than proceeding with the game without calling a judge and assuming Borborygmos Enraged had been named. The judge enforced the rules without making an exception, and my opponent was not allowed to name the card he wanted. I don’t feel great about winning that way, but I don’t feel that bad either."

Also, the Eternal Extravaganza 6 event where he ignored his popping of an EE on 1 to kills all his opponent's one drops but not his own one drop.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Anyways, remember when magic was cool and not lame superhero league knockoffs with boring one dimensional characters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwIPwi_FSVc

Magic: The Gathering. Cool and good.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Inglonias posted:

When do the standard games start?

They do three rounds of draft and then have a break. Probably will be 4-5 hours from now.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
What the gently caress, did they seriously stop coverage of this draft after pack 2 to show ads? Watching on mute on my phone and it was just playing ads for 5 minutes.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Elyv posted:

I'm watching on my browser with adblock but they did show the rest of the draft for me

They did. But mobile users or people on tv streaming devices can't block the ads, it just seems lovely to step away, play ads for 5 minutes, then come back and finish the draft. By the way my ads didn't finish up until after p3p2 because it played a long commercial for achievement hunters. Luckily the ads rotate a little bit, some folks are complaining they are just seeing the same two ads over and over again

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I don't watch any other esports on twitch with any regularity but when I have I don't remember them cutting to twitch commercials. Do other esports do this?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I liked the draft review segment hosted by LSV with Ben Friedman, where they showed the full packs for his first three picks and then switched to a sort of deck building type layout where they showed the curve of his deck and added his picks that made his deck into the main layout (kinda like an MTGO-ish layout). I don't think I've seen them do that before at a PT and it did a much better job of giving a full overview of what his deck looked like.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Hahahaha.... copies vanishing online rapidly.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Why did he New Perspectives not fumigate there? Was he not able to?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
These two decks (Jund Gods & RW Humans) seem to be playing on a totally lower level compared to everything else we've seen on stream today.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Lost Legacy naming Chandra, Flamecaller
Lost Legacy naming Ulamog the Ceaseless Hunger

Whatcha gonna do now Martin?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Dehtraen posted:

Lost Legacy naming Chandra, Flamecaller
Lost Legacy naming Ulamog the Ceaseless Hunger

Whatcha gonna do now Martin?

Heh, apparently double harnessed lightning plus sweltering suns plus tireless tracker!

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hey, I admitted he did stuff and then won!

Did we ever see Mardu on coverage at all this weekend?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Chill la Chill posted:

That's emo Jace

Isn't Emo Jace the dual deck printing of Michael C. Hall Jace?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
drat it Saffron Olive spoiling tech... Oblivion Sower is the real deal vs the temur marvel decks - They usually end up being able to cast Rogue refiner, Whirler Virtuoso, and tracker... that's all... it is game over unless they have ulamog already out or an overwhelming board presence

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Does anyone here still use PucaTrade? I just re-entered my collection in an attempt to get rid of draft leftovers, and it looks like promoted trades would theoretically let me trade unused cards for way higher than the actual value. But then I have a bunch of points and potentially no way to get rid of them.

I thought Pucatrade has been completely dead for over a year now after people were complaining that they were trading away stuff and accumulating points but never able to actually get anything of actual value for their points since point were worth significantly less than they had been after they were exposed for paying all their content providers / reviewers in Pucapoints - has this changed at all?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Do we have any regulars to the mox boarding house? How does the store keep the grognards out? I feel like the place is so nice that I would be terrified that goons would come in and poo poo up the place. Does the staff threaten bannings hourly? Is the income level high enough these garbage human don't get a chance to come out?

Also, the staff at both locations are good people (not shitlords) and the people they have running their events and judging them are fair and know what they're doing. Biggest thing I miss about going to those stores were that the people running the events are exclusively running the events and have the tools (functional computer with WER running on it) needed to do so available to them - they aren't also trying to sell comics / miniatures / other poo poo to people at the same time and the computer running the event isn't also being used as the only point of sale system in the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Much like all things magic, this is cool and good