Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I remember signing up for Arena ID, back when they were testing out organized play. That was fun. I wish I would have kept all of those rewards (Incinerate, Disenchant & Counterspell along with the lands).

My number is 7 digits, but they also added a number (and then took it away). I don't remember when I got mine, or when it merged with the one I have now, but my tournament history goes back to 96 or 97. I need to see if it's still possible to look up that stuff.

Found em on the Planeswalker Points site.

My first tournaments ...

En Fuego fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Wizards has spent the last 20 some-odd years getting it wrong, and yet living through it. Necro Summer, Combo Winter, Time Spiral, etc ... There have been plenty of times in which I thought Magic would die. Hell, I have sold my cards off and on just thinking I'd never play again ... yeah, I stopped that for the most part.

This game could keep chugging along, though I think that the shareholder syndrome (shareholders who have no clue but profits) is the problem now. They want more releases and I don't think R&D can keep up and not make broken poo poo.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

En Fuego is like the only person on the planet to play online multiplayer EDH so it's no big deal.

Pretty much.

I am mostly okay with these. It gets rid of a lot of the fast mana problems, and EDH is a degenerate format anyway. I play a lot online cuz I like to theorycraft decks and its a fun way to troll people with decks that will get them crazy.

Paradox Engine is still around so yay!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Leovold not being banned is stupid, but also means I can run a wheel effect deck with elves tribal AND paradox engine! YAY

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I also love how they have unbanned Recurring Nightmare, cuz that makes me giggle.

Sure there are some lovely commanders that you can have around, but there's a lot of fun ones to play as well. We will have to see if this is the actual death knell to commander on MTGO, but somehow I doubt it.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Jenx posted:

So here's what might be an odd question - do any of you know of any write ups or (even better) videos of rotisserie drafts? I know Shotgun Lotus did their Vintage Rotisserie Drafts a few years ago, and those were super fun to watch. Have other people streamed/filmed such? Googling mostly turns up nothing, or just articles explaining what the format is, so I was wondering if anyone has watched/read write ups of such drafts.

I did one of the Shotgun Lotus drafts and it was a lot of fun! You need to have a plan, and be ready to turn on a dime. I wanted to do a Grixis tempo deck, but when I had to fight Elliott Woo for it, I went into a Deadguy Ale brew that worked all right.

It's super fun, but you have to look at it like a fantasy football draft.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Is there a possible Kefnet tempo deck out there (either U/B or U/R, maybe Grixis?) that top ends with Torrential Gearhulk, for standard? Attacking with a 3cc 5/5 indestructible seems like a lot of fun.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Sickening posted:

Lets put it this way, every store has at least one and it doesn't get better when bigger prizes are at stake. The better opponents, the better the angle shooting gets.

Owen Turtenwald for example got paired up against a few people I know at GP san antonio. They sit down and immediately owen yells "Judge". What was the reason for this judge call? Well, this...

Owen notices his opponent had this type of deckbox. Because a deckbox like this can hold two decks, he is concerned his opponent has more than his 75 in the box. Of course owen isn't really worried that this is going on but is hoping this is going on so he can get a free win. Just one of many silly angles you play because its free ev to do so.

I believe that the rules don't even allow this to happen this way anymore thank goodness.

I've mentioned this before, but playing at the Game Center in Seattle there was a tactic in which you could force an opponent to de-sleeve and then call the judge for marked cards. One guy tried to pull this every match during one Standard tournament and I believe was convinced never to return by other patrons.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Did the convincing involve profanity and threats of physical violence? Would have been well deserved imo.

Pretty sure actual violence. I ran with a bad wizard crowd in my youth.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Why do you guys think B/G counters took out Verdurous Gearhulk? I thought it was a really good topend for em, that was lacking at the top tables. Obviously pros know more than I do.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I have an Ubermyr somewhere a friend got me. It's my fave. :3

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I'm interested in this R/U standard deck, cause I think a ton of cheap removal and then some Gearhulk finishers would be fun.

Also, maybe I can ruin it by adding some pet cards like Kefnet to it.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

suicidesteve posted:

Gitaxian Probe: taking the skill out of Magic since 2011.

Paying 2 life is a skill, sir.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I loving love how Draw/Go is back in some form...

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=113703

I don't know if it's possible to up the Commits or the Kefnets, but I WANT TO

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
They will be silver-bordered as well, so utterly useless. Well, duh, of course.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I love that Ramos could be real and then run every piece of him from MM.

and CAT DRAGONS!!!!

CAT

DRAGONS

:3

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
French Magic has spoilers!

https://t.co/iHGdEiQif0

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Tournament magic is the worst.

Bring back stipulation tournaments.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I once beat Marshall in a limited event. He was manascrewed and I felt really bad, but he was nice about it.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

BizarroAzrael posted:

Seems Cryptic (City of Heroes) are making a mormorpagah based on Magic. Not actually found the source, just a reference to it on Gamasutra, but here:

Edit: better website: http://www.pcgamer.com/magic-the-gathering-is-getting-the-aaa-rpg-treatment/

Neverwinter was all right. CoH was fun back in the day but the problem with these games are a) microtransactions and b) the grind if you don't pay.

Also, I doubt it will be Shandalar.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

bigperm posted:

I know I'm going to play this stupid game and spend money doing it and also ultimately regret it.

This will be great if you can make Planeswalkers like you could make characters in City of Heroes. 98% of the fun in that was character creation.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Ya'll didn't play during Urza's Block, but combo winter actually almost killed magic. If you didn't play Academy, or run maindeck artifact hate (my fave was Meltdown), it was actual hell on earth to play magic. The only saving grace was that cards weren't as available, so only a few people had the full on decks (and those nerds were netdecking Dojo dorks).

I think this year in Standard is actually worse because the hivemind tuning decks and the availability of cards in general.

Hot Take: Play kitchen table magic, forsake tournaments, build a bunker and praise Emrakul.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

DariusLikewise posted:

I thought Emakrul was bad simply because you could cheat it out with Marvel? All they really had to do was reprint Nature's Claim or Oxidize or even just something like Stony Silence

HER delirium made HER actually castable in B/G shells as well, so it wasn't terribly hard to just do it in the mid-range heavy metas.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I really wanna make a Naya Cat commander deck now :3

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Yeah, can we ditch Grixis and just call it Bolas now? I am on the Tosh train!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Vintage Cube is up and I drafted a stupid esper reanimator. First game I won with a hardcast turn 4 Iona (Sol Rin & Lotus Bloom), second game I brought her back with a reanimate.

LOVE IT

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
My only problem with the 2 Torment cards, is that in naming ... wouldn't Torrent be better?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

whydirt posted:

No because torment is a stand-in for plague

Interesting!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Off of spoiler chat ... I just started going through my collection and taking inventory via Scryglass (which is awesome if you haven't used it) and I was wondering what everyone's favorite card they own is.

Mine is currently my beta Gauntlet of Might. It just looks so coooooool.

Honorable mentions from past ownership is a Sol Ring I had Richard Garfield sign and alter to add 20 mana to my pool (when I asked him to alter it he flat out said 'What, it's not powerful enough?') and a Kjeldoran Outpost. I wish I still had those ones actually.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Vintage Cube is the best thing ever.

Not when I play, I managed to draft 3 terrible decks yesterday, but witnessing Gaby (with LSV backup) Resto Angel a Phyrexian Revoker to stop a Black Lotus (and force the storm player to lose due to lack of mana to cast Tendrils) was pretty amazing.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I do (vintage cube and edh). I'm kind of on the wane on online commander tho, mainly because the big reason to play it is to piss people off and it's getting a bit stale.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
They're trying to get away from the GOTCHA moments. poo poo like Oblivion Ring triggers stacked weird and such. I love those weird interactions because of the fact that you can make stupid decks that catch people. I know it's boring to explain the rules as to why you just softlocked your opponents with a Teferi/Possibility Storm but gently caress you I want to do it anyway.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
At this point in the game, the only way for Wizards to save themselves is to secretly print every card on the reserved list 32 million times, bury them within an underground citadel built underneath WOTC HQ, and create a long complicated ARG explaining it's whereabouts.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

mandatory lesbian posted:

its me, get fukt bithc

Possibility Storm is literally my favorite red card.

Chains of Mephistopheles is my favorite black card.

IDC about the rest, but GIVE ME 50 LINES OF UNDECIPHERABLE TEXT

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Transformers cards that transform for HasCon.

Grimlock spoiled by Trick, looks cool.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I love Fraying Sanity if only for the 'oh poo poo moment' when people realize the amount of math involved once multiples come out.

I was at FNM drafting and a guy was talking about his Fraying Sanity deck, and how during one game he had 4 on a guy. He was boasting about how he let his opponent cast a spell to let it hit the GY because it would mean 4 cards off the top of the library. I then explained that no, it goes 1, then 2, then 6, then 12 and he was like :O

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Most people who love EDH would probably have a ton more fun playing a board game like Game of Thrones or Lords of Waterdeep, to name a few. I personally love commander, because I play decks with themes (albeit sometimes loose themes), and I love playing pet cards like Chains of Mephistopheles and Possibility Storm (though usually not in the same deck).

Also, Paradox Engine / Jeleva combo with a Erratic Portal is loving funny.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

80s James Hetfield posted:

Holy poo poo there was a Turbofog commander?!

edit: lol it's 90 dollar card

Yeah Angus is a great commander, though Roon and Derevi are the best Bant

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
These vampires are so sexy. Each one could be used in it's own deck and own theme. AMAAAAAZING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

The Shortest Path posted:

So can you then cage Quicksilver Elemental, Gilded Lotus, and Horseshoe Crab for infinite mana?

Then when you explain how the rules interaction works, you will get three other players who don't understand it, and from there you will explain it again and they will all say 'this is bullshit', pack up their cards and never play with you again.

(Usually this happens with me, Teferi and Possibility Storm)