Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

2DCAT posted:

I was convinced to play again after 20 years away and I don't know whether I'm happy or sad lol

Same. Built a budget Modern Burn deck about six months ago, which while not top tier at least could sort of hang and got me back in. But I'd be gone now if standard didn't take off again with the new Ravnica set.

If the new eternal format starts at Ixalan as seems to be suggested, now is an excellent time to get into the game again. The current deck paradigms are going to be where the format starts at, and most of the most expensive parts of the land base aren't going to be in Standard++, meaning costs on decks will be reset back to more reasonable levels. I know my Boros Aggro/Mid deck cost around $100 to get, and the Izzet Drakes deck I'm in the process of building shouldn't be more than about $220. Maybe it's because I come from the metal dolls side of things, but those prices for competitive decks don't seem all that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think this is a genuine problem with the deck, it can screw up tournaments since you have to wait for someone to resolve this massive game of solitaire that they may or may not win. It's similar to the reason Second Sunrise got banned so I assume they'll do the same for KCI eventually.

If time's a concern, why not run games on a chess clock? If you expect 1 hour rounds, than have 10 minutes allocated to each player per game. Flip on priority, just like Warmachine.

It does change the meta to games a bit, and the cost to get a clock per table might be a too high for people. I'll fully say I'm not anywhere near experienced enough with the game to understand if this breaks something. But it should be something worth considering if there's a concern about time during play or stalling.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flea Bargain posted:

It's been suggested a million times before, but a chess clock is totally impossible because there are so many priority passes in a given turn it's untenable.

Really? I play WMH, where every time you do any roll against a model with a certain rule (tough) you have to pass to make a roll, and then pass back. And you have whole factions who's theme is having tough, so the clock gets passed a lot. It works fine there, so I don't see how it wouldn't work with MtG.

I'd be more worried about it making certain cards like Niv Mizzit bad, since you have way more actions per turn than normal. But that's sort of the intended point of a clock, as in making sure that one player isn't capitalizing all the game time.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MisterOblivious posted:

Priority passes like 20 times a turn even if the only thing that happens is untap, draw, play a land.

As soon as you mentioned that I knew this was an awful idea. I don't ever think about how much you pass back and forth in magic, since I'm both a noob and most of the triggers get skipped in most cases.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MrBling posted:

The extent of my Ultimate Masters scratch ticket bonanza.

I guess I have to build a commander deck with that foil Kozilek now.

Are you guys buying the toppers separately or with an actual box? Because everything I've seen shows that the toppers are 100% searchable. My buddy who owns a shop just did one to see if it was possible, and apparently it is with minimal effort. He still shipped what he thinks is a full art Karn to the guy who won an auction for a topper, so at least he's honest regardless. But there's no way I'd buy a filtered scratch-off like that after seeing searching work. It's like box mapping but an order of magnitude easier.

That's not any more passing than I expected initially. The issue is that the guys playing aren't even declaring phases or stuff clearly before passing. Any time where you have people passing a bunch of times in sequence and then one asks "what phase is it?" is more to sloppy play than anything else, never mind whatever the F6 thing was. You see the same in WMH too, but it gets better with timed practice. I'm also thinking 5 minutes per side is like half what it should be, especially for a slower format like draft or limited.

But looking at it does seems hectic in a game that's already really high stress at top end. It's bad, but I'd almost want to really give it a try if magic onanism is something you want to stop. The obvious answer is postmodern/standard++, but that apparently has issues for reasons? I personally like it since it solves the issue of fetch lands being both old and required, but I get that people don't want to
give up on Modern since they have real cash invested in that format. But there was going to have to be a cutoff for a newish modern at some point anyway, since otherwise you're stuck reprinting a bunch of staples every few years.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GoutPatrol posted:

We tried doing the light trick thing and couldn't see poo poo.

It's something that interests me, but only in a pure academic sense. I'm planning on getting a box of UMA (is $240 a good price on sealed boxes?), but I think sitting on it for six months and seeing if jumps in value seems like a better option than opening it right now.

The value on some cards has hit the floor over the weekend, and it just seems crazy to me. I wanted to try out vexing devils in burn if I ever played modern again, but couldn't justify the ~$40 for a playset. They were down near $10 when I pulled the trigger on a set this weekend. I can't see the prices on them or most other stuff from UMA not going back up once the initial wave of cards gets bought up.

I'm not trying to be mtgfinance, but I'm also not about to wait while the prices on cards I want like that or arclight phoenix just go into the stratosphere. Anything you'd want from UMA is not going to be any cheaper than it is today, unless something happens to its play value later on.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

because twitch is a dumpster fire usually, and sub only and curation might turn it something normal people (as opposed to extremely online incels) would bother with?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sickening posted:

There is a reason scg doesn’t do it anymore. The same handful of people talking in chat with a few thousand viewers doesn’t really work. For a lot of folks being able to participate in chat is part of the experience. Subbing to a channel that might stream 4 days a month is also not high in people’s list as scg can attend to.

If your choice is between a somewhat dead chat that makes you some money or the one where KFC buckets are emoted every time a black person shows up, I'd think you always choose the former. Keeping the trash people out helps you brand if you expect normal people to start showing up. MtG seems to be trying to push into getting non-magic players interested again, which means you have to keep the toxic people quiet.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Star Man posted:

So I have to subscribe now if I want to spam, "Abolish the reserved list you loving cowards!" and eat a ten-minute ban in chat now?

I'd like to think that's not the kind of thing they are worried about filtering, but yeah pretty much.

Telling some nerd bigot, "banned for racism/sexism/homophobia, thanks for the fiver, moron" is a step in the right direction towards cleaning things up. Magic's not any worse than other nerd hobbies with the insular cishet white boy stuff, but it also isn't any better. If you're trying to make your hobby presentable to real world, you have to keep these kind of guys in the corner away from view. Most other major companies have done the math and realized that unemployable losers have way less money to spend then the people you're chasing off, so it's actually cool to see WotC do the same thing. It also says positive things about maybe booting some the worst people out of the other side of their business in D&D.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evilweasel posted:

the people who view being able to participate in a twitch chat as "part of the experience" are pretty much 1:1 with the people spamming the racist/sexist/etc stuff that you're looking to eliminate

And on a functional level, slower twitch chat may help out with the problem that it goes by way too fast right now. The most fun chats I've been in had 5-10 other people in there when we riffed on something. You actually saw what people were saying instead of just having stuff scroll past.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lone Goat posted:

it's incredible that everyone is only now learning what lowtax figured out nearly two decades ago: charge people money to talk in order to weed out fuckheads

For reals. SA has the only comics forum I can stand reading, and it's 100% due to the $10 gate and moderation that keeps the bigots and the creepers from posting for long.

Adding this style of control to places where the standard web 2.0 froth has bubbled up seems like nothing but a positive move.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

resistentialism posted:

Magic twitch chats are pretty loving bad any time they aren't being modded heavily, and that's even with the commentators and players on screen being 80%+ white and male.

Remove the first and the sentence is just as true. Web 2.0 (i.e. strong user generated content) has kind of hosed up society as a whole. It gave a bunch of people who were disenfranchised a voice again, but it also gave a bunch of chuds a chance to feel they were important and have their needs catered to. The latter has outweighed the former by an order of magnitude IMO.

It looks like a bunch of major companies are in the process of putting the genie back in the bottle, and doing things like keeping chats for major brands under control is just a single part of that.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jabor posted:

You can only really play it if your deck is mono-white.

But if you are playing mono-white aggro, it's definitely powerful. Look at the deck and figure out if that's something you're interested in playing.

It shows up in Boros aggro and midrange too. Both are mostly white but splash red for things like heroic reinforcements and Aurelia. All your lands are either plains, sacred foundries, or clifftop summits. You could use Boros guildgates or the red/white common land that comes into play tapped if you don't want to craft foundries or summits.

I like the aggro version of the deck, but you can't play from your back foot with it ever. If you get wiped the game is basically over, and lots of people are teching against it because it's very powerful. The first time you waterfall histories of Benalia with some already decent board state it feel real good. The midrange version gives up on things like loxodon and sunbhorn sentry for Aurelia and some enabling cards like militia bugler. The later is really only there to get the former onto the board, because if you untap with her things get pretty crazy-- 4/5 trample vigilance mentor flying that hands out another +2/+0 is just gross most of the time.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm just interested in what the plan for post-modern/standard+/whatever is. I'm hoping it's just the current standard sets and everything past that, but Kaladesh and Amon Ket are programmed in already so who knows.

Anything to create a new eternal format that is a bit less expensive to buy into for paper MtG seems like a positive move. But I guess that's also selfish since I just started playing again and could start rolling my standard decks into the new eternal format once it gets going.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShaneB posted:

I still can't believe how terrible the ladder is. The rewards and number of games required to reach them is absurd.

Did they change the reward scheme? Half the reason that Arena was OK was because you were getting close to 2 packs a day average over a week (3 packs/week + ~1250G/day is almost 12 packs a week) plus 72 solo cards means that you could end up filling in your decks PDQ even if you didn't play the constructed roulette wheel to try to skim some extra cards and gold. Packs cost more in real money than they do buying them at my local shop, so there's zero reason to buy scratch offs you can't even redeem for real money if you win.

Is MtGA trying to lose to Hearthstone now? Because pissing off your audience by make rewards worse is going to send people back to that dumpster fire again.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 13, 2018

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dragon enthusiast posted:

imo they could expand on the current system but instead give you scry 2 at 4 and 3 cards, and scry 3 at 2 and 1 cards

Isn't mulling down below 5 cards a trap almost 100% of the time? Like, everything outside of getting a leyline out in a burn matchup or similar stuff. I don't think being able to scry and order an extra turn or two more of cards helps with that.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShaneB posted:

Does that stop Phyrexian Mana?

If you pay two life, then you're not spending mana instead. Wow does that card have some uses, even in standard. You can't go full convoke on spells, and probably can't cast most of your good convokes anyway since you lack the mana base most of the time. Same with green ramp strategies. It's doubly rough since conclave tribunal is the first thing I think of for countering stuff like that, and that's just unavailable. Maybe baffling end will see some more play at least in the sideboard again, since it gets around this fairly nicely.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Huxley posted:

It also shuts off all naturally 0 CMC spells, right? Memnites and Ornithopters (and Moxen, obv).

Yeah. That's the cherry on the sundae.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Huxley posted:

I have been duly convinced spectacle bolt is too much.

What would it boot out of those lists to make Burn so much better? Rift Bolt? Or one of the creatures?

Probably searing blaze. It's got the most problems triggering during the game, and requires landfall to be worth it.

I'm still wondering if there's something I should cut from burn for risk factor. Boros Charm seems obvious, but maybe one game in ten I want to make my eidolons indestructible.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I have a bad maze's end deck. Do you think that makes the cut in it over stuff like primeval titan?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

neaden posted:

Turn 5 8/8 probably isn't the strongest thing you could be doing. You can combine it with chamber sentry for recurring creatures I guess and feel bad when golgari is better at it then you.

Yeah, I almost need to find a way to consistently get some in the graveyard early. It's a third tier win condition, but it could keep recurring every round once you get the engine going. With all the fog available I almost think that bodies aren't needed to be blockers so much as you need ways to drag gates into play with a titan.

Only thing I could see is that it's going to be a bulk uncommon and should fit right in with the trash my ME deck runs.

quote:

It'll make your bad deck worse, so I'd say go for it!

Stop encouraging me to play this trash deck! Besides, primary win is and always has been crackling bridge. I think I've only gotten the ten gate win once, but it was sweet and kept me coming back. I guess you call this the Fortnite of decks then.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 17, 2018

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Buffis posted:

Assassins Trophy sees play in high tiered decks in all formats, including vintage (some lists for Survival, BUG midrange, maybe others).

I don’t think any other new standard card managed this.

Arclight is seeing some use in Legacy, IIRC. That's a lot of why it's sitting at $25-30. Turns out things like dredge have way more efficient ways to dump them in the graveyard and spam spells to get them out.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So some dumb modern theorycrafting:

Between light up a stage and risk factor, red is getting some very strong card draw/advantage. A now skewer the critics is another spell on curve for burn at least at a mana level. Do you think that moving closer to a pure red burn deck in modern is playable? Less creatures (maybe just a set of vexing devils and a lavamancer) and fewer boros spells to accomodate a more simple mana base (fetch + mountains) and playsets of those three spells plus some of the overlooked spells that are high mana/dmg ratio like shard volley. Maybe also browbeat for a similar effect if you think people are actually going to let you draw.

You could probably even go with something more like normal boros burn by trimming things like skullcrack out of the mainboard. You're just tossing creatures and low ratio burn spells for stuff that is going to be going straight to face. I don't know if it's actually good, but the changes are going to be cheap if you already have any risk factors, meaning if you have time to play you might as well try it out.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elyv posted:

People have been messing around with Risk Factor, I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Vexing Devil sucks because it's a punisher card so your opponent will just choose whichever option is better for them. Lavaman is like, not bad, but clearly the fourth best creature since the top 3 all either have haste or pseudo-haste and mana is at a premium in some matchups. You can't play too many Shard Volleys because it's a pseudo 3 mana spell since you still probably need to cast spells afterwards, but you see people play 1-2 sometimes.

Anyway you might be able to move away from white mana after this set comes out, but the question is why would you(assuming budget is not an issue)? In Legacy, Burn also plays PoP and Wastelands are everywhere so there's a real incentive to avoid duals, since a more complicated manabase can gently caress you over. More controlling decks in Modern will try to white screw you, but they're really not that large a percentage of the meta, and you lose access to RiP out of the sideboard. I think monored burn/phoenix will get closer in power level to RW, but still be weaker.

Budget isn't the issue, esp since I have a full set of all the components to current modern burn. I want to try some new stuff out and do something different that might not be practiced against as much as standard boros burn is. Vexing devil was trying to force the issue with risk factor a bit more, because people are way less willing to take damage from punisher effects once they realize there's 12 (VD, RF, and js'd RF) of them in the deck. Though I guess that swiftspears would become better than they already are when they get more spells going a turn. I was thinking lavamancer because it's a way to do face damage for cheap (to trigger spectacle) that cannot be countered and doesn't require a card. I was thinking a less complex manabase would also help in mirror matches, since fetch + shock is like taking another spell to the face, and I play against burn locally a bit. If you're suggesting my wild hare isn't actually any good, I'll just drop the idea.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

EDH is what actually matters in terms of player engagement and sales, silly.

Hunh? I thought Modern was the popular format. EDH seems neat, but the local guys that primarily play it could charitably be called paste eaters.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hellsau posted:

play them on arena

Isn't the real answer just desiccator packets and double sleeving? It's made sure my few foils don't get curly. The MtG foils are fairly poor quality, but even with that they should be fine doubled up.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I've got a rules question for you guys:

Do the copies of storm spells stack triggers for electrostatic barrier? If so, that seems like a great card for that combo, since combing off for 2 instead of 1 halves how long your chain has to be, to say nothing of doing some damage before casting grapeshot.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShaneB posted:

Listen to me and 3 of my friends on our podcast about modern. Do it. I dare you!!

In episode 6, we start off with a look at last week’s MOCS and Modern Challenge, then dive into Grixis and Traverse Death's Shadow - what makes these decks different, how to get better with them, and how to beat them.

Our website: https://thedivedown.fireside.fm/
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-dive-down/id1447762473
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6bQlj5dnv3u1bHdsEprHzp?si=dVOgnBud
Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-dive-down?refid=stpr

Nthing that this is a good podcast. I'm just starting to play FNM, and it's giving me a great idea how to play against these decks.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Huxley posted:

The 12-Drakes list here I'm fairly certain is the X-1 at the top of the standings.

I get egnima and crackling, but what are the last 4 drakes?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Okay, here some dumb stream of consciousness stuff I want some feedback on if it sounds too insane:

In the last six months, I'm really getting back into the game after being gone for twenty-ish years (Ice Age was my last set in high school) I'm playing burn because I wanted a simple first deck to see if I liked the game. Through draft and prize packs I also managed to get three arclights and traded for a fourth, since they seem to be a cornerstone of a lot of modern decks and would be something very different than what I'm playing. That would either be in an Izzet or mono-R deck depending on the type. All the constructed play we have is modern if that helps clarify the situation. My two questions points are:

1. Not to be too MTG Finance, but is it worth speculating on lower value cards that might be part of your deck? I got my hands on the new burn hotness (Skewer/Light) for cheap, but there was already discussions about a more low to the ground design for burn that drops the Boros elements for Rakdos ones. That would mean getting my hands on playsets of bohunt couriers, claim//fame, bump in the night, and swordpoint diplomacy. All are currently cheap now, with the most of any playsets being $2. My thought was get them early before the deck takes off, since the most you'd lose is maybe $6-8 for all those playsets, and you could be saving much more if the deck works.

2. Similar thing, but for staple cards. I already have playsets of wooded foothills and bloodstained mires, and they make a huge difference in the deck. I'm thinking if I start going an Izzet deck, the lower cost fetches (flooded strand/polluted delta) might also be worthwhile. Same thing with steam vents/spirebluff canals for the rest of the fetch strategy. Looking back over prices, it seems like those cards aren't peaked in value, so I'm thinking that now might be the time to get those. Those seem like staples that I'd use in any Izzet deck regardless of construction, since you're going to want a consistent mana base, and scalding tarns are sky high priced. In theory I'd need something similar for BR landbased too, but I have some trades lined up to get rid of extra stomping grounds and breeding pools that I have for blood crypts (i.e. I'd be done except for some BR painlands)

3. I was also thinking about doing something similar with manamorphose, since every Izzet or mono-red phoenix deck runs them for free spells. I'm real unsure about them though, since they appear to have double overnight recently and I don't feel like paying twice what a card ends up settling at. I have similar reservations about goblin lore, but to an even higher level since it was a trash common until recently, and seems to be coming down a bunch from it's $30 high.

Am I off-base on any of these assessments? I'm not looking to make money off any of this stuff, just not get screwed in the semi-regular price adjustments that seem to hit MtG.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sickening posted:

When it comes to MTG finance, only worry about buying a playset when they are cheap if you feel like you are going to ever play with the cards in question. Rare/Mythics from older sets are especially vulnerable to spiking in the future and sometimes spending 8 bucks on a playset of a card you might play one day is better than spending 80 a year from now. Other than that, don't worry about "speccing" on a card as its a dumb game that almost always loses you money as a whole.

Yeah, everything I'm looking at is stuff I at least want to play to see if it works better in my meta. The spells for Rakdos burn/card draw are cheap ($5 total from TCG player for full sets) it's just pulling the trigger on $20 worth of lands that makes me cringe. The RB cycles of land are so much higher than the RW for whatever reason. I also wanted to see if other people saw the huge shoot up of older commons (manamorphose/goblin lore) to be temporary, because gently caress buying a card at $20 and then having it sink $3-5 within two weeks.

I'm coming from the minis world, so the weird nature of the second hand market in MtG is taking some getting used to. It just seems crazy that cards you basically have to have to play modern (i.e. fetch lands) aren't getting the poo poo reprinted out of them. Isn't there going to reach a point where people aren't going to be able to get into modern because sufficient quantities of fetch/shock lands aren't available? With no masters anymore, wizards sort of doesn't have a place to put them out again.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Well this is even more stupid.

I dunno. I play Warmachine, and it uses a similar system (two lists, only one match, both players choose their lists after seeing your opponent's pairs) which works out well in eliminating a lot of the rock-paper-scissors stuff. I'm not convinced that this is a better format than standard best of three with sideboarding, but I want to give it shot first before I throw it away as trash.

The real issue I can see is that unless you do something like say that you're building two 60 card decks out of a common 75 card pool (i.e. your sideboard is pre-built), the second deck could be anything and could skew hard in a completely different direction. That would theoretically reward the person who's better at play the game overall, but it's also way more expensive to get into and would probably be a bit more of a crap shoot for randomness.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hauki posted:

hmm, yes I wonder :thunk:

Great, just what I need. Another hobby I'm in where a bunch of regressive chuds start stirring up poo poo.

I'd like to hope his fanbase is better than that (possible given his recent comments), but the internet has taught me otherwise.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gay, fat, and ugly. Hey, I'm 2.5 of the 3! And LOL if she's really going to make that distinction. Glad I disgust her.

But seriously, is it really too much to ask to not get the actively awful parts of the community involved on the ground floor of MtGA? Since you're already not going with people with the highest subs counts or anything, you could go with another Spanish-language woman streamer who was say not a dumpster fire on LGBT issues. I feel certain there's more than one of them out there if you look even moderately hard. This isn't even an issue of saying stuff back in the 90s when homophobia was normal-- twitter's only been around since the mid-00s, and homophobia was a opinion for the worst of the internet by that point.

To get this back on the topic of the game we love, how much of a tool am I if I play with foreign language cards? I've got a good deal on some Japanese language stuff via TCGPlayer, but I don't want to be "that guy". We're talking check lands and non-complex cards if that helps.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShaneB posted:

Another week, another podcast. Somehow not yet wealthy. Please listen.

The Dive Down - Ep 7: When In Doubt, Burn 'Em Out!

We go over the latest Modern Challenge and the new Pod, talk about Stanislav's awesome finish at the SCG Classic, then dive down into a discussion of the latest experiments with Burn.

Our website: https://thedivedown.fireside.fm/
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-dive-down/id1447762473
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6bQlj5dnv3u1bHdsEprHzp?si=dVOgnBud

Just saying you guys kick rear end. I've been thinking about how to retool my burn deck for skewer/light up and what else it really needs to play. You guys cover all the stuff I need as a clueless noob to have a fighting chance at not wasting a fuckton of cash getting cards that aren't going to pan out.

As a related aside, I am not nearly invested enough in the game to spring for blackcleave cliffs for Rakdos burn. My next tier replacements are looking to be either sulfurous springs or dragonskull summits. Which of those do you guys see as better in a burn deck, or is there another RB land I should be looking at?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C-Euro posted:

Of those two, definitely Sulfurous because you can use it for colored mana on turn 1. Blood Crypt is better than both though if you're not already running it.

Already am. I'm keeping the fetch/shock strategy from standard burn, so I just sub blood crypt for sacred foundry. I just need to figure out what to sub in for inspiring vantage.

quote:

I was going to say exactly this.
Run 4xBlood Crypt and then the cheapest fetches you can find that fetch mountain or swamp (I think thats Bloodstained Mire and Polluted Delta right now, but whatever you have).
Then Sulfurous instead of Cliff should be fine.

See, I wasn't doing that. Just 2 shocks, and a slightly different fetch package (bloodstained mire & wooded foothills) so I can always drag up a mountain once I have a black source. I remember seeing a Saffron Olive (?, not sure, it's the guy with the odd annoying voice) making a video about how 4 shocks in modern for two colors is just too much for almost all decks.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 1, 2019

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShaneB posted:

This is great for me to hear and share with the other guys. Thanks.

The only little thing I'd like to see is maybe a way to post deck lists for the decks you are talking about. I get that most of the players who really know the decks know what you are talking about, but I just like seeing all the enabling cards that you aren't discussing directly, because that's something that I am trying to struggle with understanding at the moment. I get not discussing them, but seeing what they are often is enough.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

araeris posted:

Avoiding linking Rudy, but apparently there's news of two additional gently caress ups on RNA Mythic Edition.

Please don't tell me Rudy is a milkshake duck. The guy is one of the first videos I ever saw on MtG and he also actually provided people with real life good financial advice, which is borderline insane coming from an mtgfinance show.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm away from home for work, but back around my parts apparently the heat has been on light up the stage. It seems like a combination of red shouldn't get card advantage, and nobody should get card advantage for one mana. I know it's changed how I play burn, but I'm not sure that's a reason to kill it. There's also a cynical "red can't have anything good" line, which I guess has a little support in standard with raging ferocidon. But we're also looking at modern v. standard, which might as well be different games for power level.

Is this the right thread to share FNM trip reports? I've been playing at the local shops up here in NY, and the decks are crazy different to what I'm used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thinking about trying out mono-red phoenix this week at FNM, assuming my manamorphose (shipped this morning) get here in time. Only issue is that I can't get my hands on enough soul-scar mages (bought the last one at any of the five shops within driving distance) What do you guys think would be a good replacement? abbot of kerel keep is a possibility, but I'm kind of afraid of leaving a phoenix trapped in exile from it. mage-ring bully is similar but probably not available. Do you think Goblin Guide would work as a good replacement, as sub-optimal as that is?