Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sampatrick posted:

No, it's just absurdly good as a ramp/control tool. You cast it on t4/5 and repeatedly wrath the board. If they deal with it, you just do it again. Repeat this process ad nauseum. Playing against Ugin would be positively miserable for every party involved.

I would immediately swap out Kozilek for Ugin as my Eldrazi commander if I could. And this is exactly the reason why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Protean Hulk is already a $20 card. loving lol

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Would a Divination variant like this be too powerful?

UUU
Instant
Draw two cards.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Aftermath cards are considered the card type of both halves, right? So, while they might have fixed the CMC issue with split cards, what about stuff with like Torrential Gearhulk? Can I target an aftermath card that is part instant and cast the sorcery side with Gearhulk?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Randomness is garbage

Variance is garbage

Variance is what makes it a repeatable game worth playing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Haha. Fatal Push is an $8 uncommon in a currently printed set.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Has anyone built a deck focused around ramping with Corrupted Grafstones and all of the one mana cyclers? I feel there is some untapped potential there.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Shortest Path posted:

It's a one mana removal spell that covers most of the creatures played in eternal formats with a drawback that is completely ignorable because of the most played type of land in said formats. It's the best card that's been printed for Modern and probably also Legacy in a long time. Get your playsets now before it goes out of print!!!

The funny part is it is basically black's Path to Exile, but because it uses a goofy rear end mechanic, they can't ubiquitously print it in future support sets like they can with Path. So, expect it to not show up again until Modern Masters 2021 when they are able to bring back the mechanic whole-sale.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
5 picks in, and BBD's draft is already ri-goddamn-diculous.

Edit: He's the only blue drafter at the table. Easiest draft ever.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 7, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

As someone who plays Through the Breach in Modern, a 10+ CMC creature is ridiculous on turn 4 even if you don't cast it. Hell, a 6 CMC creature on turn 4 is still really drat good.

TtB gives them haste. Turn 4 Newlamog w/o cast and w/o haste isn't crazy considering the deck building requirements needed for that to go off.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Frank Lepore put out a new modern league set on the ChannelFireball youtube channel using a U/W As Foretold deck, and despite his absolutely lovely play, I like the gist of the desk. Though, I think it would work a lot better as U/B control, even if you don't get quite the sideboard options that you do in white. But since you don't get Elspeth or Celestial Collonade as finishers, what would you guys use?

Creeping Tar Pit + ???
Tasigur? (More grindy value)
Ven Clique mainboard? (I like the idea of having more flash creatures in to use with As Foretold which is why I would also bump Snapcaster up to 4.)
Ashiok? ( :v: )

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

little munchkin posted:

Yea you play white for Restore Balance, As Fortold with only Ancestral Visions for payoff seems not worth it.

With balance you want planeswalkers for your wincon, since it has the potential to eat your lands and restrict mana for colonnades.

I agree that I'm not sure what U/B brings to the table that esper or grixis doesn't do better.

Well, you can play Restore Balance in whatever color As Foretold deck since you're never going to suspend it. But, beyond that, I think there are too many low-to-the-ground decks (especially after burn's boost from a Death's Shadow-heavy meta) for the more durdley U/W to be competitive. I like the idea of having your own discard suite to counteract their, and you will eventually out resource them just from getting a single Ancestral out. Plus, it allows you to run fewer counterspells since being reactive in the current meta is kind of bad.

I do like the idea of casting free Esper charms, though. Plus, white gives you the monster sideboard. The obvious trade off is opening the deck to a weakness to Blood Moon.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

cheetah7071 posted:

I long for the enchantment with the text "state based actions aren't checked"

Brooooooooooooooooooooooooooookkkkkeeennnnnnnnnn

JerryLee posted:

They'd obviously never print it, but I wonder if, from a purely rules-based perspective, there would be any problem with a Silence variant that said "Target player doesn't get priority for the rest of this turn."

I want a Silence variant with split second. Or like...a 2 mana version of Render Silent. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

myDad posted:

I heard the new Pro-Mattes from Ultra Pro were better than KMC now, but I'm not sure I bought the right ones. They still have the little holo mark in the bottom right, although they do feel better than the old ones. While I'm on the subject, is there a particular inner sleeve that works better? Anyone know?

Still not as good as matted Dragonshields.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I have three words.

gently caress
Ari
Lax

He's the only real "pro" I've interacted with, (it was at PT Fate Reforged), and just his mannerisms and how he presented himself made me want to punch him in the face.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sickening posted:

The differences are so small between the two that the only difference is dumb brand loyalty.

I can get DShields for about $8.50 per 100ct. I mean, if they're cheaper, I'm willing to try the new HyperMattes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ManMythLegend posted:

Quick rules question:

If I cast Lay Claim on an opponent's legendary permanent that I already control a copy of I assume that it invokes the legend rule after it resolves and I can send the opponent's permanent to the graveyard. Is that right?

Yes. SBE are checked after resolution. Legend rule goes into effect. Choose one to keep. EXPLOSIONS!!!!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Thoughts about Hazoret in modern burn? Maindeckable? Too expensive? Which match-ups do you think he cleans up?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Maybe in a midrange Mardu deck with LotV? It would probably be good at grinding out vs other midrange decks. The problem I have with the new gods compared to the old is that they're always creatures so they're vulnerable to path but enough discard might make that ok.

I wouldn't even go Mardu with it. Just
4 Thoughtseize
4 Kozilek's Inquisition
4 Fatal Push
4 Lightning Bolts
2 Terminate
1 Dreadbore
1 Collective Brutality
4 Dark Confidant
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Blood Moon
4 Liliana of the Veil
4 Hazoret

22 Lands

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's a 3/4 flying O-ring that reanimates itself for you.

No real question it was gonna find work somewhere.

I think it's a 4 of in the side board of those New Perspectives decks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Apropos of nothing: what's the pick here?

Fan Bearer
Tah-crop Skirmisher
Minotaur Sureshot
Djeru's Resolve
Dune Beetle
Greater Sandworm
Winds of Rebuke
Final Reward
Binding Mummy
Dissenter's Deliverance
Ruthless Sniper
Bontu's Monument
Seraph of the Suns
Rags // Riches

My friend gave me a pack for driving him home last night from FNM and I opened this. Is Rags // Riches that good? -2/-2 seems like it just doesn't have as much reach, and getting your opponents worst creature for 7 seems real average.

What would you guys take?

P1P1...Final Reward, no doubt.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Finally, can someone answer me this:
How isn't Maze of Ith restricted and why doesn't every deck have four of them?

tl:dr version, old guy gives bad opinions about Magic

Because putting down a Maze of Ith uses up your one land drop for the turn, so it puts you behind in mana for the rest of the game (unless you play poo poo like Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth). And in the older Legacy/Vintage/Commander formats where it is legal, there are just as many combo decks that don't care about creatures swinging in to win. So, Maze of Ith is useless in a lot of match-ups. Moreover, even against decks with creatures as the wincon, they can typically drop more creatures than you have Mazes, so you're hosed regardless.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PJOmega posted:

Ironically, all the cards for my New Perspectives deck arrived today. Except the New Perspectives.

I have three if you want to trade for'em. :/

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

boba fetacheese posted:

Uhhh first faeries deserves a 1 drop.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My next deck project is going to be a mash-up of Jeskai Nahiri + As Foretold because I want to win at least a couple games by stalling out 18 turns to cast Emrakul with As Foretold. :unsmigghh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I'm glad they still choose horrible loving art for the playmats. IMO, the last good Gameday mats were Anguished Unmaking following loving Xenogod out of Theros block.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Cross posting!

AS FORETOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!

1 Vendilion Clique
3 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Liliana of the Veil
2 Liliana, the Last Hope

4 Ancestral Vision
4 As Foretold
1 Cryptic Command
2 Damnation
4 Fatal Push
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Remand
1 Restore Balance
4 Serum Visions
1 Spell Snare

1 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Flooded Strand
1 Godless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Island
4 Polluted Delta
2 Swamp
2 Tolaria West
2 Watery Grave

Sideboard:
1 Disenchant
1 Dispel
1 Esper Charm
2 Negate
2 Path to Exile
2 Rest in Peace
2 Thoughtseize
1 Seachrome Coast
3 Stony Silence

I brought this up in the general thread a couple weeks ago, but every time I look at where Modern is at lately, I think U/B is much better suited for control than U/W. But, I cannot argue how good U/W's sideboard options are. So, I decided to try to have my cake and eat it, too. The one thing I like about U/B's walker finishers is that unlike Elspeth, I don't have to pay 6 mana for them, meaning I can shave a land or two and play more interaction. My true list would run 3 x Liliana, the Last Hope, but I only have two at the moment.

Anywho, thoughts? Comments? Critiques?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

clamiam45 posted:

Your game day was a five round draft?

Game days at the place I used to play at in Virginia did drafts because no one there played standard. :ssh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

They should ban Ulamog. Just so that people have to make the choice of whether the best deck in the format will play Kozilek, the Great Distortion or Sandwurm Convergence.

Edit: Still the best Tumblr.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 26, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

A couple people are trying to make UW/Esper control lists in Modern with Narset, they sound cool but I haven't touched the game in a couple months so I don't know how good they actually are.

Rebound Esper charm is pretty baller.

I'm trying to build an Esper As Foretold deck that lets me Esper Charm people for free. :unsmigghh:

Edit:

PenguinKnight posted:

i wish those were tournament legal. i could just paint eyes on them, but it just isn't the same! :qq:

I plan on googly-eyeing my EDH commanders. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 26, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Thing I learned today.

Dredge plays Insolate Neonate?

Oh, yeah. It is way better than it looks at first glace. Primarily because Dredge is the only deck where it is not actual card disadvantage. Being able to trigger a dredge turn one is pretty gas.

Edit: Also, I'm sad I apparently missed an As Foretold deck. That poo poo is my jam!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, black is the hands-down best color in Modern, right?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elyv posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-anthology-2017-05-29

The decks in Commander Anthology are "Heavenly Inferno"(Kaalia), "Evasive Maneuvers"(Derevi), "Guided by Nature"(Freyalise), "Plunder the Graves"(Meren)

That's pretty neat seeing as those are the decks from each generation I never got. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Siivola posted:

So I just looked her up, and turns out Kaalia is a $38 card. :wtc:

I'm pretty sure she was the most popular commander for a looooooooooooooong while after she came out. I think she was only trumped by Brago and later Ataraxa.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
People need to look at the Top 8 at GP Kobe this past weekend.
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15693&d=295990&f=MO

Half of these are some funky-rear end decks, and they are awesome.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

InterrupterJones posted:

I was gonna say...did the Esper Control deck with a 4-of Glory-bound Initiate blip on anyone else's WTF radar?

No less than the Jeskai control deck that was just 4 of every generically good control card which apparently includes 4 Logic Knots. :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Japan needs to come over here and tell us how they build decks. From what I can tell in my years playing 4 different TCGs, Japanese competitive players have always been way more open to innovative janky builds or off-meta deck choices than their North America counterparts. Just less straight netdecking, in general.

Like, that Esper Mentor/Copter build is amazing because Buddhist Warrior Monks and Ghosts piloting Copters is what I always wanted to see come out of this game. :v:

Edit:

Like, look at this poo poo from the Hareruya Cup last week.
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15661&d=295714&f=MO

The winning deck was Affinity running Glint-Nest Crane and Dispatch. And Top 8 had a Thing in the Ice Turns deck. :psyduck:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 30, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Every modern deck that isn't a linear combo or tron-like deck should probably be running 3-4 Surgical Extraction in the sideboard for DS decks. Seriously, those decks run maybe 6 - 9 threats in the entire 75, and if you hit their first Goyf or DS with Surgical, you basically half their chance of killing you regardless of how do-nothing your other cards may be.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sickening posted:

If you have no other sideboard options, fine. Seems like a pretty bad option against a deck that lands a threat and then shits on your surgicals in hand.

Except the decks I'm saying should run it already run 10 - 20 ways to get that first creature in the grave, so not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Mono Black wasn't that far ahead of all of the other decks (and it was a fun standard to begin with), Siege Rhino standard was a great standard with lots of viable decks (people just remember the rhino itself), Bant Coco is a deck Forsythe admitted he should have banned, and Dark Jeskai wasn't the best deck at all.

People complain about Mono-U and Mono-B devotion while forgetting the following season's Mono-G/(b or w) lists and the G/w Mystery of the Unseen decks that would often end with 100life mirrors. :argh: