Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Yep, * in the P/T box is persistent across all zones according to the rules text, X is 0 everywhere except the board.

E: Thinking about it more, are there even any nontoken creatures with "X/X" in the P/T box?

Like, original runs of Keldon Warlord and such did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Stop trying to trick him. You represent tapping by placing a bead on the card.

When I played waaay back in the day we used red white and blue poker chips for 5 life, 1 life, and tap marker respectively.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tales of Woe posted:

Alpha only had one merfolk for Lord of Atlantis (who wasn't a merfolk himself) to affect: Merfolk of the Pearl Trident.

Wasn't that true of the zombie lord too? I don't remember any other than Scathe Zombies.

Edit: Fallen empires had multiple Goblins-Matters cards in it and the only goblin was Goblin Chirurgeon, itself a goblins matters card.

I know this acutely because I did a giant fallen empires sealed event a while back.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I support any idea that results in more Quentin Hoover artwork.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I remember playing against Melissa de Toro in Providence, RI FNMs. I lost.
:shobon:

Edit: Am I correct that you can't withdraw from limited league queues in MTGO and get your product back? I've tried and it doesn't immediately return to my collection the way it used to and it's really frustrating considering it hasn't fired in 30 minutes.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

UberJew posted:

tbf like half of lovecrafts horrors are explicitly or implicitly metaphors for sexuality bc he was v spooked by the very idea

much like jace

I mean, he was pretty spooked by black people too.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Watch then shoe-horn some holy trinity bullshit like Elspeth, the Risen, her father who was the dude that did the original WOG, and some spirit god that my limited Catholic knowledge prevents me from detailing.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I like my blood products so thick you can stand a spoon up in the bowl.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DangerDongs posted:

U/R Emerge folk, how can Mardu beat you unplayable draws aside?

Yeah I'm suprised that UR emerge didn't have a stronger showing recently. It seems well positioned.

Edit: Holy poo poo Gerry, that loving rules.

Double Edit: Is there a way to withdraw from a MTGO league queue and get your product back? If you hit cancel it doesn't look like you get it back...

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 20, 2017

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Regarding the dude getting internet shamed for an awful joke, this is a decent book about the phenomenon for anyone interested: https://www.amazon.com/So-Youve-Been-Publicly-Shamed/dp/1522609555

Edit: Also curious about the UR Emerge list(s).

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Doing sealed of older formats is so whiplashing with regard to card power levels. I think I built this right though.

e: Went 3-0 so can't complain.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 17, 2017

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Hellsau posted:

Thermal Navigator is a three-mana 2/2 that, late-game, you can start feeding lands to fly over to peck in for two damage. It also seems good with Carapace and Strata Scythe. Cut Arcbound Fiend or Hoversail for it.

If I had artifact lands I would. But I need to keep metalcraft online and rarely have artifacts to spare. I did side it in a couple times though.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The pick-a-plane sealed gimmick on MTGO is pretty great. 6-0 so far with Mirrodin and Zendikar.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure Mirrodin is the best. I only beat my Mirrodin opponent because I had my 1x main deck artifact removal for LoxoHammer both times and he only drew his Elesh Norn once.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

Why does this need to be 4 mana?

It's in the mold of Oblivion Strike and Gild. B3 for unconditional exile (maybe + a bonus) is a template now.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

mandatory lesbian posted:

weren't both those uncommon tho? i actually think 4 mana is fine since i think murder is good at 3 mana, but I also think it shouldn't be a rare just because of an upside that comes up maybe once every 100 games

Gild was rare. Sorcery speed but argueably higher upside.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm down for an MTG suicide pact - you could say we'd be making our own cycle

I wish they had printed Suicide Pact. Could be like Slaughter Pact but with Innocent Blood effect attached.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
lol well played

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Mahamoti Djinn was my homeboy.

Edit: And Ali from Cairo / Old Man of the Sea

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

netcat posted:

My favourite from Arabian Nights is probably Abu Ja'far because SUMMON LEPER has always been incredibly funny to me

"Summon Uncle Istvan"

edit: my other MVP was Wall of Hope because my metagame growing up had tons of burn and that guy is backbreaking against Jackal Pups et al.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I liked that the hot tech in Onslaught block goblins mirrors was to try and prospector out a T3 Rorix.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

Oh man. I originally started back when every store had more lovely Fallen Empires packs than they knew what to do with, and I made so many terrible decks based around trying to get Ebon Praetor and Breeding Pit online.

Breeding Pit had cool art too:

My dad made a mostly abortive attempt at being a small-time magic dealer back in the day. We had filed it away as a failure until a few years ago I was going through his attic and found:

- sealed box of antiquities
- ~90 loose packs of antiquities
- sealed box of Revised starter decks
- sealed booster box of Revised
- ~50 loose revised boosters
- Sealed box of The Dark
- like literally 16 sealed boxes of Fallen Empires (sigh)

I ended up using the Fallen Empires to do a giant drunken sealed event at my bachelor party, heh.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mezzanon posted:

I hope you turned that into a like a car or a family holiday or something.

It turned out that my dad had partners back then so we felt obligated to whack it up 4 ways. Still, about $6k a pop. Thanks rich guy in SF who wanted to draft it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Star Man posted:

Magic: the Scattering.

New format: 52,000 pick up.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Elyv posted:

I mean, Chandra is a reasonably common Indian male name I think.

The female lawyer in The Night Of was named Chandra.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone try out both the UB and MonoU versions of that mill deck? I'm curious of the relative advantages.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

sit on my Facebook posted:

There's only really so much you can do to fight it. Struggle to Survive and Commit to Memory seem like the best options, maybe perpetual timepiece. It may just be good right now.

Once people start siding in mill hate I'm thinking about a transformational sideboard.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone have a list for the UR mill deck being bandied about? I'm on mono-U right now and 3-0 but it feels sub-optimal. UB is an option too.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

TwistedNails posted:

I love him. Who do you recommend that's better? I listen to a ton of audiobooks at work while I do paperwork so legit recommendations would be cool.

As mentioned below your post, I recently finished Half a King by Joe Abercrombie and it was pretty good. I kinda bailed in the second book to try The Expanse series though.

To both the Sanderson hates and lovers, I was recently recommended the Mistborn series. Worth my time?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I won a game tonight when my opponent activated the sac ability on a creature I enchanted with Compulsory Rest while at 2 life. I had Harsh Mentor in play. Heh.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

The Shortest Path posted:

It was called Domain Zoo for a while, dunno what happened to that.

I remember there was a version with Gaea's Might called "Gaea's Might Get There" that I always parsed in my head wrong. Like, maybe Gaea will get there, maybe not.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mezzanon posted:

Welp, the team is booked for nationals in Toronto in October.

Any Toronto goons wanna show me where to drink near the university?

If you want some amazing cocktails, check out Bar Chef http://www.barcheftoronto.com/

If you're more into beer just check out the various breweries. Might need a subway trip but that's easy.

Man, I miss toronto. Living there for a year was awesome.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Molybdenum posted:

Food fight is a fun draft game and has a simplified MTG game afterwards

I had a food fight themed card game as a kid called Kersplatt! (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2865/kersplatt)

There was a mechanic where if you dodge food thrown at you it can hit valuables in the restaurant at which point the thrower is restrained by waitstaff and can't act for a certain number of turns. It was pretty great.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Slivers is probably not as good as fish and significantly more difficult to pilot.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I've won more than a handful of games against affinity on the fact that Kira was able to block the Lethal/2 ornithopter. Flying is good.

That said, being able to cast the new guy off of Cavern of Souls is pretty clutch.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
No, dinosaur is a race just like human or elf. What I'm saying is there should be dinosaur wizards and allies.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

80s James Hetfield posted:

Just make Arena a monthly subscription ($19.99/$29.99, whatever) where you have access to the entire library of MTG cards and then maybe have cheap rear end entry into any kind of tournaments for prizes, promos, drafts, events or whatever.

As someone who binges for a couple weeks or even just a weekend and then puts it down for months at a time, I would not care for this model.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lawnie posted:

Alternatively, eat an adderall at 8 and another at 2 and you won't be hungry all day.

This + at least 2 cigarettes between each round.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Please, educate this new idiot. So the reason big green beaters never quite make it into standard is because board wipes that don't target are too common to bother investing a turn into casting them? It doesn't look like they can do much more for Carnage Tyrant beyond adding more keywords or lowering his cost, which still doesn't solve the board wipe issue. Do creatures just not play that big of a role outside of limited?

Its more the mana cost than anything. Six mana needs to generate a huge effect. For creatures this usually means something that immediately impacts the board and generates value even if it dies. See Torrential Gearhulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
What was that drafting program people were talking about that simulates opening and drafting 3 packs with 7 other AIs?