Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

correct opinions about basic lands and Mishra's factory art (all Winter is correct, for the record)

That's a funny way to spell 1 judge promo, 1 Korean 4th FBB, 1 Japanese 4th FBB, and 1 EMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

I started playing in 1994, but I didn't get a DCI number until I returned to the game in Coldsnap. No one really cared about the DCI back when I first started, we just met in comic shops and the mall food court and played in tournaments the store ran.

Same except Dragon's Maze. I didn't even know I could get my DCI number back then!

Doesn't Bob Maher have a DCI number less than 100? Like 8 or 10 or something? I remember reading that somewhere.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

I know a lot of people have bounced off MM17 draft, either voluntarily or not, but I'm curious what BR is supposed to do as a color group. The theme seems to be sacrifice, but the payoffs just don't seem good. The only token enabler I remember is Dragon Fodder, the payoff is Mortician Beetle, and the sac outlets don't seem to affect the board like even a simple Penumbra Spider. I've only drafted it 3 times, but I have never seen anyone force it successfully, even when it seems open.

I think BR is supposed to be aggro with unearth and stuff. Maybe use the Aristocrat to end the game when they get low.

I drafted a pretty good BW sacrifice deck. Lost to GR because he didn't attack with his goblins for like 4 turns with that enchantment that makes goblin in play, beat some 3 color deck with turn 1 Goblin Guide in game 2, lost to 7 color pile of cards because I played my 2nd land in hand because he had Monentary Blink to kill a token and to kill my Falkenrath Aristocrat.

ShaneB posted:

MM3 draft is baaaaad bad bad because like 2 archetypes are playable in power level and the rest are garbage compared.

Yeah this has pretty much been my impression. I really haven't liked formats where you can just play 4 or 5 colors and a pile of good cards because of how good the fixing is. MM2 and KTK also come to mind.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Really, him summoning white knight allies should have been a tip-off.

:vince:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

Some folks at a LGS I know of can't collectively figure out if goyf is same power and toughness in all zones. A lot believe its 0 outside of the battlefield. Everything I am finding online says its the same no matter which zone its in. This is compounded by the fact that both level 1 judges at this location are saying its zero.

Its P/T are the same everywhere.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

tqilamknbrd posted:

Newbie here, this weekends prerelease will be my first time playing magic and hopefully not my last. Aside from actually going down to a local store and playing I've been doing all I can to get a grasp of the game. CFB gave Slither Blade a 0 but a 1 mana 1/2 that can't be blocked seems useful to me?

It's a really, really low impact thing to be spending a card on. It sounds good until you think about all the other things that card could have done for 1 or 2 more mana. There's no good equipment to put on it as far as I know, and trying to enchant things is a great way to get blown out, especially in sealed.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

DoctorOozy posted:

OMG... Can you guys please put your DCI dicks away??

Unless you have loads of beta Duals or an alpha lotus sitting around the date you started playing is irrelevant.

I bet you have like 12 numbers on your DCI card. :smuggo:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

I just want it to have reserved list cards so I can watch the "investors" shriek their heads off on reddit.

Same except without the Reddit thing. If only so I can show people that their Beta power won't drop a penny even if it is reprinted. And I say this as someone who until recently had a pretty extensive collection of duals and a good start on power.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Star Man posted:

I have met a single person in my nine years of the game that would be angry if the reserved list was eliminated. This same person complained that Tarmogoyf is overprinted.

I know of 3. One is our LGS owner who is otherwise a decent guy. The other 2 are #mtgfinance types so screw 'em.

ThePeavstenator posted:

What??? Masters sets have done wonders for prices of singles. The prices tend to go back up because more people buy into the formats and increase the demand.

Nonono, something speculators something.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

See also: Reverberate vs Fork, Phyrexian Negator reprint in a Duel Deck (which is easier to understand as a breach of the reserve list but c'mon)

The reserved list used to allow for foil printings of the cards. Then they changed it because ???

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

I actually Googled this to see if it was from an MTGSalvation thread.

It was, right? ....right? :ohdear:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

Eh, who cares.
Vintage is dumb format and Legacy is more a cluster of overpowered cards surviving in a self perpetuating bubble only because no real player cares enough to break it.
The reseverd list is dumb, but I'm not exactly disappointed.

Modern is a bunch of people playing soggy cookie, standard is boring, midrange garbage, pauper is nothing but aggro, and commander is a bunch of people whining when you build a deck that actually tries to win.

Magic is bad, don't play it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

I love playing with underpowered boring poo poo

And losing to one of the many unbeatable mythics I never open!

Play cube. The only good way to play this dumb game.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Elyv posted:

Have you ever played vintage? I don't mean in paper because I assume you don't have the price of a car to plop down on a deck, but I've played like a dozen matches of vintage on xmage and most of the games have actually been really fun. Vintage blue mirrors are pretty hard and generally don't come down to "who slammed the turn 1 jace."

Workshop mirrors are actualy really fun and can be pretty intricate, especially post-board. Or they were until they printed Walking Ballista. I don't think I've ever lost one aside from that one night I helped LSV test for the VSL, and my build was probably 20% against his so I don't feel bad about that.

Even Shops vs Blue is pretty deep when both sides get to play Magic. Without getting into a long tangent for a format that like 2 people here play, that's why I was pretty sure Shops was going to be terrible when Chalice was restricted: stopping them with Chalice was the main way you could beat big blue decks. But it turns out Gush completely pushes them out of the format! And Spheres are good against Gush.

What I'm saying is Restrict Gush and unrestrict Lodestone Golem.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

They are not going to reprint Shivan Dragon ... it has been reprinted too many times and doesn't evoke much nostalgia even for those of us who have been playing since '94.

Yes it does.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I find him insufferable and don't think he has anything interesting to say.

The best thing he ever did was drop to 1 life.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So this box was alright. One NO is foil.

The draft was a lot of fun too. We only had 6 people but it worked. P1P1 Urborg Uprising, then get 3 elves in a row and get cut super hard, ending up with a lot of blue by the end of the pack when a Deep Analysis wheels. P2P1 Braids over some other cards that weren't Braids so I didn't look at or care about them, and I never looked back.

My deck I lost one match to not being able to find my sideboard, which I think got mixed in with a bunch of other cards, and also pretty bad flood.

The weirdest thing: my box was already pretty decent after the draft, but I let everyone who was in open one of the 6 extra packs. The rares were, in order: GSZ, Regal Force, Top, Wasteland, Top, Top. :wtc: Also weird, my pack 1 had 2 Kor Hookmasters and neither was foil.

Braids was absolutely insane, aside from the game where I cast her on turn 3 and she got sent farming. She won me 2 games single-handedly and was instrumental in winning 2 others. My 2nd best card was actually Ichorid. Ichorid + Braids on a stalled board is just backbreaking. I also got to assemble Isochron Scepter + Counterspell at one point and kill someone with the Belcher.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 22, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Veyrall posted:

AKA, literally everything people said it could do, but then other people said that wasn't good enough because

Because you're tapping out on turn 3 in modern probably.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Listerine Hangover posted:

Gunshine state baby. The shop is right next to a notary that issues CWPs. Closeby theres a gun shop with a sign by the road that reads "SWAT GUNS." Just to give you an idea of my local scene.

Random question, is it possible to get prerelease promo masterpieces?

No.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

O-Ring shenanigans work because you target the permanent to RFG it then flicker O-Ring for the leaves play trigger. So the leaves play trigger resolves first, returns nothing, then the comes into play trigger resolves and RFGs the target. And now there's no way to return the original target to play because the O-Ring in play is seen as a different game object than the one that took it out.

Banishing Light is all one trigger, getting rid of the thing until it goes away.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I've been hearing some stuff about DRS being banned from Legacy. I think it's a good idea.

Same. And Terminus.

Eela6 posted:

I don't play Legacy. Care to sum up the arguments for/against a ban?

Pretty much the same as modern. It just goes in every deck and if it doesn't go in that deck the deck isn't good. Like even Miracles isn't favored against a lot of DRS decks and I generally refuse to admit that Miracles isn't favored against anything. Leovold kinda made it overbearing but Deathrite has always been the problem. It doesn't look so bad WRT diversity because there's like 5 different decks but they're all the same 50 cards and either a 10 card combo kill package, a Delver package, or some other midrange cards. I'd be willing to bet if you jam all those decks together it's a good deal more prevalent than Miracles.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Every time someone says to ban Terminus over Top I lose about ~150 brain cells from slamming my head against the wall.

Yeah it makes a lot more sense to ban the card that other decks use and nobody ever whines about in those decks and which was fine for years before a certain garbage mechanic was printed and not the card that makes it so control decks' traditionally bad matchups aren't actually bad matchups for the deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

Well, I was thinking of getting out of constructed Magic and having my Legacy deck banned confirms it.

Same except it's not even my legacy deck. But I don't like the idea that if a bunch of people who don't even play a format whine about a card enough they'll get rid of it. It's not like we haven't seen it happen before.

I knew this was going to happen when I opened 3 Tops the other day.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rogue0071 posted:

No, the whole deck is dead. Terminus is also worthless without top.

It's not worthless with all the cantrips but it's not worthwhile either. And yeah it's super dead. Rip the only good control deck in any format.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

LEGACY players do not.

Funny, I'm pretty sure I've bought $several thousand of in-print singles over the last few years.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

The point wasn't that such people don't exist. It's that I don't buy that McMagic personally knows a lot of people whose participation in the game is literally nothing but Constructed Legacy.

Of our dozen or so legacy regulars, I think maybe 4 play more than 1 format, and that's if you count me having modern decks but playing it on average 3 times a year.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lmao at banning top instead of terminus

WotC doesn't like trying to nerf decks (unless that deck is modern storm.) They just ban the whole deck and congratulate themselves on a good job. If we get enough people who don't play the format to whine on social media and twitch chat maybe we can get it unbanned.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

the only people who are upset about top's banning are the assholes that made playing against it a chore

I can be annoyed that a bunch of people who don't play a format got a card/deck banned even if I've never played that deck. Especially when it's not the first time it happened.

Real questions: How many of you people who are so happy about Top's banning actually play legacy? How many play only or primarily legacy? How many complained about Top before AVR was released?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

The complete lack of a control deck now might be a bit of a problem for the format.

But you can play Stoneforge and Deathrite and call your midrange deck a control deck!!! It works so well in modern.

mcmagic posted:

The most played deck at the last big Legacy tourney other than Miracles was the 4 color Leovold deck. It's a control deck.

Lol

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

80s James Hetfield posted:

Why in the gently caress is Thorn of the Black Rose a $12.00 card on MODO. Palace Sentinels $4.60?!

Pauper.

UberJew posted:

closest thing to a control deck that was worth playing in any format, anyway

It was a control deck with a minor prison element.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

It's crystal balls time to shine.

Heroes' Podium finds you Venser and Clique.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Cactrot posted:

I would legit love it if there were some Grant Morrison-esque deal where Bolas had learned that he was a character in a poorly written story and his master plan was to destroy it from the inside by preventing people from playing.

Time Spiral 2 confirmed.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jenx posted:

I guess the good thing to come out of this, is that it will stop people from bitching about Standard for at least a short while.

2 weeks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I don't find that to be the case and that is coming from someone who loves playing Wasteland/Stifle decks in legacy. You don't waste people out of games very often.

I've literally only played Wasteland decks and I think there's maybe one game every 2 weeks where Wasteland actually wins the game. And they're always against Delver. Your 6 mana-producing, 9 fetch, 0 basic deck folding to a Wasteland is an issue with your deck, not with the card. It's another one of those things that people like to complain about because it's "not fun." Which means Wasteland will probably be banned within a year.

gwrtheyrn posted:

At this point more non-games probably happen to turn 1 blood moons, chalices, or combos than wasteland

Absolutely. Even with decks that are good against those cards, sometimes you draw the wrong part of your deck. I've lost to turn 1 Chalice as Death and Taxes because I kept Swords + Vial and drew Vial, Mom, Mom, Swords. I've almost lost to turn 1 Blood Moon in my 10 basic Plains deck because I had a good hand that didn't have a basic.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Death Bot posted:

As someone who watches a fair amount of DnT but doesn't play, I'd argue that wastelands turn some combo matchups from non-games into games, and I feel like this happens more often than the other way around just due to how many decks in the format are built knowing they might eat a few wastes and ports

Sure, sometimes your Wastelands let you play an Actual Game of Magic against something like ANT. But that's not the same as what the complaining is about, which is non-games. Even then, you're usually not Wasting them until turn 3 unless you have a Vial and you don't have a Thalia, which means you're playing against a slower draw anyway.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Death Bot posted:

I'm positing that wasteland creates more games than it ends, just shut up and be agreed with Steve!

I'm agreeing with you mostly! But it's complicated!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I assume you mean morally never good, because the guy makes wacky brews that people assume are far better than they actually are which creates an upward force on prices and they never go down due to cards' persistent price memory.

I'm still convinced that he buys 20 of every card in every deck he makes and makes a killing on them a few days after posting one of his terrible videos where somehow his 19 card combo that folds to any interaction comes together perfectly several times in a row.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mailorder bees! posted:

Enjoying banned-top legacy a ton so far. Played an actual esper stoneblade mirror.

I've played a bunch of fast combo and a bunch of True-name decks Death and Taxes can't ever beat. So hooray, my deck is unplayable too! What an improvement to the format.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

What fast combo are you losing to?

And is this like the shops restrictions where unplayable means playable afterwards and now the most played deck?

Belcher, Elves, faster builds of storm like TES. Even ANT is a pretty bad matchup on the draw. I've played a surprising amount of UB Reanimator for some reason which is at least one good matchup.

I didn't realize Gush/Mentor would completely take over the format to the point where the only way to sometimes beat it was Shops.

gwrtheyrn posted:

The type that go off turn 1-2, you know before almost any of your hate is playable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I'm pretty torn, on one hand I loved that deck and made sure to save it when I sold my collection. On the other hand, I haven't played Magic in 17 years and it seems like these are an unknown amount of time away from better Chinese counterfeits making them worthless. I feel like selling them is smart play.

I'm possibly interested in a few depending on what you have. Send me a PM.