Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Frontier is not a thing. Unless Gideon gets banned and I'm selling mine. Then I assure you sir, it is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Siivola posted:

Speaking as kind of a new player, the set also comes off as very approachable. I know I'm going to punt a million times with bad exerts, but things don't make me scratch my head and wonder how I'm supposed to use something.

It seems to have a lot of what Innistrad had going for it, including mechanics that reduce the likelihood of dead turns, three of them in fact, and strong flavor.

Rinkles posted:

The self inflicted -1/-1 counters might lead to some tricky, unintuitive situations.

Possibly, but I don't think it's too bad, I think most players will see early on that CMC X = X/X stats is a decent baseline and that the counters are offsetting oversize creatures. It also follows they ask, "why do that?", and see that other cards can capitalize on it. Even the same card can, in the case of that mana dork.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 19, 2017

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Got a pretty strong pool today with Liliana, Regal Caracal and some good zombie synergy like Wayward Servant, and also Trial of Ambition and the Cartouches of Ambition and Strenth. Green splash at the top end for honored Hydra as a bomb, and stuff like the second part of Prepared/Fight.

The Trail and cartouches lead to some really solid tempo plays, and in the last game a topdecked Liliana saved me snd got to her ultimate just in time before my opponent could break through or go over the top.

Should I be concerned when there is a big gap in my curve? 1-3 CMC seemed fine, but at 4 I think I only had Cast Out and Pitiless Vizier, plus I suppose a couple of Embalm cost and aftermaths. At 5 I had Liliana, Caracle, and Final Reward.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ein Sexmonster posted:

The question isn't "can a deck beat copycat", the question is "Does copycat force the vast majority of decks out of the format". I don't see a healthy standard metagame developing when reliable turn-4 kills exist.

Especially when the required interactions are so narrow, hence why no more data is needed.

So I booked for GP Montreal thinking they couldn't be so stupid again that they wouldn't get rid of cat. What should I do now? I've not really played standard since Eldritch Moon, I don't intend to play Cat Combo, especially not against 80%+ mirror matches. Mardu probably isn't going to be as good and not the way I really want to go.

How do I make the best of this? Should I just try to switch my ticket to a side event pass? I was excited about new decks, seeing what BW zombies could do, if a walker deck worked, maybe revised delerium. Or should I ask to read the first Saheli, tear it i two and walk?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

So we have a format again! I'm excited to see what come out of it.

I see copycat decks and pieces on FB selling groups from people "selling out of standard". Tempted to post "you will not be missed".

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

It occurs to me that bouncing a Trial, say Of Ambition with a cartouche will trigger Revolt, so I'm taking a look at a BW Revolt deck with Displacer. Also inclined to look at Zombie tribal and BW walkers, since I like the new Liliana and hope Sorin is playable again.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Anyone know why the Brewhaus is locked?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

That was incredible

With the Quagmire, right?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

DangerDongs posted:

G/B Delirium is back baby, and would have won against Jessup instead of drawing if Jessup wasn't slowed down by his chins.

It is always awkward to watch both players show their hands, and mathematically a person would have lost, but they refuse to concede while the other guy begs for his win.

Edit: Cut/Ribbons just won three games on screen today. Who knew shooting down Grim Flayers and then flinging 5 at the opponents face would be good in an aggro deck.

Edit about Abzan: I have been playing Abzan G/B Snake adding Gideon and Sorin. It plays like Tokens with more removal and bigger counters. I can post a list if anyone is interested.

Drop it in the Brewhaus? I'm definitely playing black at Montreal, but don't fancy getting Heart of Kirens. I think I have most BG cards though. Would like to see if there is a Mardu deck that isn't vehicles now, I'd like to do a walker deck in those colors, see if using both Lilanas works.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

sit on my Facebook posted:

Relentless Dead is a trap imo

Yeeeeah, I think so? You need to hold up a lot of mana to use the abilities and I don't think there's a good free sac outlet to really exploit it. It can be a solid card but probably can't sustain the price.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

sit on my Facebook posted:

Lmaoooo that really does sum up the whole weekend. He literally went "I don't play it, not cuz it's not good, uh... and...... not cuz I don't like it in this meta, but... uh..... I mean.... it's a good card and it probably should... I don't know"

I was ironing at tge tine, but didn't he say he'd have to drop discard outlets for it? Seemed reasonable.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

DoctorOozy posted:

Smashed a standard event yesterday (prep for an invitational next weekend) with Constrictor.

GB Constrictor: Invitational deck 2017 AMK

Maindeck (60)
4 Walking Ballista
4 Gifted Aetherborn
4 Winding Constrictor
2 Rhonas the Indomitable
3 Rishkar, Peema Renegade
3 Tireless Tracker
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
3 Verdurous Gearhulk
2 Blossoming Defense
4 Fatal Push
4 Grasp of Darkness
1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
4 Blooming Marsh
2 Evolving Wilds
6 Forest
4 Hissing Quagmire
9 Swamp

Sideboard (15)
3 Scrapheap Scrounger
2 Gonti, Lord of Luxury
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Liliana, Death's Majesty
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
2 Scarab Feast
2 Never
2 Lifecrafter's Bestiary
1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship

The aetherbourns are a consession to Cut // ribbons and worked like a charm essentially negating the aftermath side of the card. I had an 80%+ win rate only dropping games to the mirror (energy version) in very close games and one to the UB control nut draw.

Beat; Humans, Zombies twise (scarab feast :) Mardu Veh, and UB.

Might take something like this to the Montreal GP, maybe just sell my Gideons and Grim Flayers whilst I can. Only thing about that is my predisposition to BW and wishing to play a walker deck and get mileage from old Lili, new Lili, Gideon and Sorin. But how do you do that without it being worse Mardu?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Commentary for the GP seems pretty good, a guy called "JBL" and a woman, who I assume is called "Maggle".

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I think Calcano has played every pro tour since 2010. Dude is a grinder's grinder.

MTG Bent Card should win for the name alone.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

80s James Hetfield posted:

Xbox 360 (lol) twitch app going strong but if I see this Mark Whalberg commercial one more time I may commit a murder

I've seen the Heroes of the Storm ad play four times in a row.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

After opening a foil Torrential Gearhulk from the the Standard Showdown booster, I am now on board with that promotion.

Played GB Delirium sans Snake, which I am now not.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm in Montreal for the GP at the weekend with BG Delirium/Constrictor, but I'm really tempted to switch to BW Zombies. There's a few stores here, but the biggest, Face to Face, doesn't have Dread Wanderer or Liliana's Mastery showing as available. If I really want to so this, given I have stuff to trade into it including a foil Torrential Gearhulk, is it likely I could get it together for Friday's qualifier? Might be too early for vendors at the venue.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

How is Bauble used? Is it just like Gitaxian probe so it's like you have a smaller deck?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Has anyone seen the Chris Fennell/Lingering Souls BW Zombies against Marvel decks? How do they sideboard? I feel like there's not much it can do besides with Unmake the Marvel or the Ulamogs it casts.

I've also not figured out what the Scrapheap Scroungers are for in the board. Just to go more aggressive against slower decks? Never figured out what to drop.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Tales of Woe posted:

Transgress the Mind and Anguished Unmaking vs marvel, presumably cutting Fatal Pushes since they don't really hit anything in that deck.

Scrapheap Scrounger would replace removal in the matchups where you want them.

Yeah, I think I drew badly against Marvel, thats what I did.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Marketing New Brain posted:

The Marvel match up is good, but my sideboard had 4 transgress and 2 dispossess. sounds excessive but I only boarded in 3 transgress vs Marvel (and both dispossess) and I needed more hand disruption because I boarded out all the removal except Salvation. Having 4 Transgress vs UR, which is a less than stellar match up, is important.

I didn't find old scrappy to actually be very good, at anything, and it doesn't work with cryptbreaker and will make diregraf colossus smaller. I'd honestly just have the 6 cards I mentioned, some Never // Return, a couple Declaration in stone, and 3-4 Gideon.

Yeah, played Marvel 3 times at GP Montreal and didn't lose. Jeskai control seemed bad though.

I feel like the deck could use more going on at 2 mana, but there's only Metalic Mimic or Relentless Dead that fits, and neither seems ideal. Would be nice if I could play Relentless Dead but I think I'd need to reduce access to white mana to accomodate it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

So quick GP Montreal trip report; I landed here Tuesday, Wednesday I availed myself of some of the museums and attractions, it's an amazing city. Thursday I decided I wanted to switch from GB Delerium (I tested a non-constrictor version, but I was planning to switch it to something more like what made the top 8) to BW Zombies. I took a stack of stuff to Jack of Hearts and traded into most of the deck besides what I had already, a set of Liliana's Mastery and a Colossus, which I had to buy on Friday morning ahead of the early qualifier. I briefly spoke to Marshall Sutcliffe, who's very nice, and also tall. I had a strong start in the main event beating Marvel the first two matches, and a third, weird one with Luxor's Bounty and Void Winnower later on. Beat GB of some kind pretty handily, but lost to the energy aggro version. Also lost to Jeskai control, can't remember what else.

Not sure what I'll play going forward, I like the look of the version of GB that top 8'd,, but I like how BW Zombies play too.

I mentioned earlier that I felt BW Zombies could use more 2-drops, but Cryptbreaker effectively turns all my cards into 2/2 zombies with flash, was I not using that enough? I'f I kept a hand with 2 Cryptbreakers and a Dread Wanderer, I would probably T1 wanderer, T2 both Cryptbreakers and use them to draw rather than attack. Would T1 Cryptbreaker, T2 Discard Dread Wanderer for a token, with the option on T3 to take Wanderer from the yard to the field, have been a better line?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Elyv posted:

Tweet was deleted and I also had no idea who he is

But some joke about here name is still up, so I'm wondering what was deleted?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Rogue0071 posted:

The tweet in question.

What the blue buggering gently caress.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Wonder what the deal with Kevin Jones is. He was supposed to play in the feature match last round but they said he couldn't be found.

Then when round 3 starts Craig asks Cedric about it and he kind of only said "If you follow him on social media maybe we'll find out" but he hasn't posted anything and then Cedric quickly changed the subject so that seems kind of odd

The dogs are in the enclosed pool area.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Regarding the dude getting internet shamed for an awful joke, this is a decent book about the phenomenon for anyone interested: https://www.amazon.com/So-Youve-Been-Publicly-Shamed/dp/1522609555

Yes, read everything Jon Ronson has written.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ManMythLegend posted:

lol, like half that deck is already sold out on Cardhoarder.

Had to check Borderland Marauder was standard legal, it's in one of the starter decks. I think I played against this last night on MTGO.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Well that is certainly a 3 mana board wipe.

Is it even good though? The thing with wraths is that usually it's your opponent who rebuilds first, not untapping 3 lands minimum seems bad. Suppose in the right deck you can just cast it with a bunch of open mana later.

Obviously if you get bolas out you should win, don't know if he's seven mana good or if there's a spot for him in standard now, besides as a Marvel target when Ulamog goes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

lol, this looks like it owns

Also, jesus loving Christ the MTGO price on Liliana TLO is insane. I didn't think she was seeing enough modern play to push her up, or is this small set mythic syndrome?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

That card is nutso good plus EMN has no valuable mythics except for her and Flayer.

Happily those Surgical Extractions I bought a year back have tripled in value.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

gently caress going to the store if you don't have to. Hell even our groceries are curb side pickup these days.

Also Preacher and American Gods are really loving good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Has there been any articles written about this? Do you know the justification for Ruinous Path over Never//Return?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I thought you could get Never that way but not Return after the ruling?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Nicol Bolas Archenemy lists are out: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/archenemy-nicol-bolas-preview-2017-06-05

It's Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker with new art rather than God-Pharaoh or a new card. His deck runs Blood Tyrant, which seems like a good fit for the format.

Opposing PWs are Gideon Jura, Chandra Pyromaster and Nissa Worldwaker, which are all pretty good versions of those guys. Gideon seems to have interesting implications in the game mode.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

C-Euro posted:

The art on the Gatewatch PWs is hilariously bad. Well, maybe not as much for Nissa.

I can see what they're going for, but yeah. Bolas looks great though, although I like Swanland's art for God-Pharaoh better.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Seems Cryptic (City of Heroes) are making a mormorpagah based on Magic. Not actually found the source, just a reference to it on Gamasutra, but here:

Edit: better website: http://www.pcgamer.com/magic-the-gathering-is-getting-the-aaa-rpg-treatment/

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

I know it's already been said, but if I get to play Planeswalker Dressup with as many options as CoH had, I will pay subscription money for that alone.

Pretty much, yeah. Plus there's a good chance we will be able to play some of it for free anyway. Also the color pie could lead to an interesting character development system, hopefully.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

How are you supposed to deal with Bristling Hydra when getting energy is so trival? I've played again the same deck in league three times and it's just impossible.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

mcmagic posted:

It's one of the 3-4 best cards in standard. When Marvel gets banned it's gonna be everywhere.

Probably be the only reason the Bontu sweeper gets played at this rate. It's annoying only especially as you can't throat-punch them and call them a oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm in the middle of an MTGO League and fully intend to mock every Marvel player I can.