Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Pontius Pilate posted:

What fast combo are you losing to?

The type that go off turn 1-2, you know before almost any of your hate is playable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Release day draft went well. Was in UW Tokens, the bulk of the creatures in my deck had embalm, had the guy that gave Tokens flying and vigilance, two of the white trial, two white cartouche, the embalm clone, also had some control elements in my top end, exile top card of your library brick artifact, dusk / dawn, approach of the second sun. I won two games via Approach and it was glorious.

Having multiple trials out then casting a cartouche to return them then recasting the trials feels busted.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sickening posted:

Dumb predictions for tomorrow.

Red god turns into a 15$+ card.
Green god continues to be solid but people end up playing too many copies.
G/W tokens actually gets played again.
U/X control decks of all types make up a good chunk of the room.
Mardu show itself to still be a good deck but overperforms due to the better players in the room playing the deck collectively.
R/U emerge feasts on creature decks.
R/W exert and mono black zombies get some feature matches and things spike due to casual appeal.

Probably wrong about everything but I am drunk and fnm was fun. Still exciting to watch some standard as hilarious as that sounds.

(Also fling is going to see constructed play)

At least I opened a Hazoret in draft today. Other than that, I had to tell an opponent to wash his loving hands because he's starting to come down with a cold and he coughed right into his bare hands. I didn't let him cut my deck anymore after that.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 29, 2017

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
Gonna be playing some vintage tomorrow. Im running paradoxical storm.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Pontius Pilate posted:

What fast combo are you losing to?

And is this like the shops restrictions where unplayable means playable afterwards and now the most played deck?

Belcher, Elves, faster builds of storm like TES. Even ANT is a pretty bad matchup on the draw. I've played a surprising amount of UB Reanimator for some reason which is at least one good matchup.

I didn't realize Gush/Mentor would completely take over the format to the point where the only way to sometimes beat it was Shops.

gwrtheyrn posted:

The type that go off turn 1-2, you know before almost any of your hate is playable?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm feeling pretty good about this, guys.

EE:

I'm actually curious if anyone has an opinion on whether or not I should play Spring//Mind. It was the last card I cut from 28+ cards I started with when I started deck-building.

Probably far too late to matter but Aven Initiate is arguably the best blue card in the format and has no business being in your sideboard.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Probably far too late to matter but Aven Initiate is arguably the best blue card in the format and has no business being in your sideboard.

Errr, are you mistaking Aven Initiate (3U, 3/2 Flyer, Embalm 6U) with something else?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PJOmega posted:

Errr, are you mistaking Aven Initiate (3U, 3/2 Flyer, Embalm 6U) with something else?

I don't think he's mistaking it for something else, given that a 3-power flyer that you get to re-cast if they answer it the first time is fantastic in pretty much any format.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
technically angler drake is easily better but initiate is probably the best blue common

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Yes I meant common, sorry!

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Went to my first competitive play since 1995, Amonkhet sealed

Ended up making a Cards I Opened With Flying tribal deck and went 2-1. Flying and 4 toughness appears to be where you want to be. That white 2/2 flyer that you exert to pump your team is awesome too.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
A store in my area is doing some shady stuff. They no longer give out any of the Wizards supplied prizing / perks - FNM promos, release day promos, game day promos, playmats, full art lands - instead they are just selling these items as they're received. They also ran a league with promised prize support and pulled prizing shortly before the end of the league. The owners live elsewhere and work out of a different store (they have a number of locations). The employees that work at the store (that don't play magic) aren't doing this on their own and are being told by the owners from afar what to do. The entire group of players have decided to go elsewhere but a number of them are pretty pissed off and want to contact Wizards to let them know the BS that's going on - anyone have any idea how to go about reporting them?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dehtraen posted:

A store in my area is doing some shady stuff. They no longer give out any of the Wizards supplied prizing / perks - FNM promos, release day promos, game day promos, playmats, full art lands - instead they are just selling these items as they're received. They also ran a league with promised prize support and pulled prizing shortly before the end of the league. The owners live elsewhere and work out of a different store (they have a number of locations). The employees that work at the store (that don't play magic) aren't doing this on their own and are being told by the owners from afar what to do. The entire group of players have decided to go elsewhere but a number of them are pretty pissed off and want to contact Wizards to let them know the BS that's going on - anyone have any idea how to go about reporting them?

There is an email you send to or you can call wotc customer support too. The more descriptive you can be and the more people who email and call to collaborate the better.

FraudInvestigations@wizards.com

Which area by chance?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Dehtraen posted:

Send a dm to @HeleneBergeot on Twitter.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Hellsau posted:

A few things about this draft deck -

1) Is Oashra Cultivator playable? It seems so durdly and an absolutely horrible topdeck lategame, and it cannot possibly be better than the Essence Scatter in your sideboard. You also have Tah-Crop Skirmisher if you need low drops.

Oh, it's not good by itself, no, but it's pretty useful with my many counter-placing guys. I'm able to keep them big while also being able to use its ability or chump if necessary. If I didn't have those guys I'd take it out.

quote:

2) Irrigated Farmland is better than an Island.

Noted!

quote:

3) River Serpent seems better than Colossapede. The versatility of being able to cycle it for one mana is worth the extra mana on the actual cost.

I was considering this. Wasn't sure about it.

quote:

4) Aven Initiate is very good if you can afford another four drop. It's a 3 power flier for 4 that embalms, that's a good deal.

I know it's good, but I need to assess the slot to see if there's space.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.twitch.tv/scgtour

First post cat ban tourny starting now pals, should be interesting.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

There is an email you send to or you can call wotc customer support too. The more descriptive you can be and the more people who email and call to collaborate the better.

FraudInvestigations@wizards.com

Which area by chance?

Thanks. An hour south of Seattle, far enough from Wizards backyard for them (owners) to not be worried that much, I'm guessing.

Lone Goat posted:

Send a dm to @HeleneBergeot on Twitter.

I don't have twitter but I'm sure one of the people at the store does

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

TheMaestroso posted:

Oh, it's not good by itself, no, but it's pretty useful with my many counter-placing guys. I'm able to keep them big while also being able to use its ability or chump if necessary. If I didn't have those guys I'd take it out.

You should have played Aven Initiate, Essence Scatter, or River Serpent before you put this in your deck. A 0/3 with a bad ramp ability is not what you want, ever. I haven't played the format in draft but I just cannot imagine a world where the Cultivator is playable.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Leaving for my very first booster draft. Find me Rhonas.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

First match at SCG is Mardu V's B/W control with Approach as win-con

Edit: Meant U/W, sorry

AceClown fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 29, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

AceClown posted:

control with Approach as win-con

*clicks on bookmark so hard his finger breaks*

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

*clicks on bookmark so hard his finger breaks*

Approach takes game 1!!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The second sun has approached.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

AceClown posted:

First match at SCG is Mardu V's B/W control with Approach as win-con

Edit: Meant U/W, sorry

And Approach gets there in g1! Praise the sun!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The second sun has approached.
:frogon:

Edit: Well that was a letdown.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 29, 2017

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Boooooo thought we might see something special there

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

TheMaestroso posted:

Alright, let's see where this bomb first pick takes me.

E:

I'm feeling pretty good about this, guys.

EE:

I'm actually curious if anyone has an opinion on whether or not I should play Spring//Mind. It was the last card I cut from 28+ cards I started with when I started deck-building.

Ended up winning the draft! No Nissa ult, though :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The punt in camera was amazing.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

The punt in camera was amazing.

That was incredible

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Dehtraen posted:

Thanks. An hour south of Seattle, far enough from Wizards backyard for them (owners) to not be worried that much, I'm guessing.

I don't have twitter but I'm sure one of the people at the store does

Go poke around the wizards play network sub-site for the email of the Pacific Northwest West regional coordinator. I forget his name right now. Anyways that dude will be all over it within hours.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lone Goat posted:

That was incredible

With the Quagmire, right?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm amazed he didn't think to leave back a blocker when your opponent has a manland in play and you have all the control you need in your hand. Slow. down. buddy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

I'm amazed he didn't think to leave back a blocker when your opponent has a manland in play and you have all the control you need in your hand. Slow. down. buddy.

He missed the non-land text on the exile and made a mistake by not responding to the activation of the land. Leaving back something wasn't the issue.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay so props to the director for showing us the monoblue Paradoxical Outcomes deck because that was some :stonklol:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So when do we do Marvel Sun, in which we play and cast approach of the Second Sun off Marvel in some kind of weird control shell?

Or are we doing that on stream right now?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 29, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A problem there is, you need to cast the second Approach from your hand to win. So you need seven mana, six energy and one Approach in hand before you can start rolling the Marvel to see if you win.

I'd rather use Inspiring Statuary to give it Improvise and try splashing some white into the Paradoxical Outcomes they showed a minute ago.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I would rather be watching Kevin Jones's match.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Siivola posted:

A problem there is, you need to cast the second Approach from your hand to win. So you need seven mana, six energy and one Approach in hand before you can start rolling the Marvel to see if you win.

Instead of rolling the Marvel hoping to hit Approach, you could just cast the Approach you already have to put it seventh in your library, use Marvel to get rid of the top six cards of your library, then draw and cast Approach the following turn.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

He missed the non-land text on the exile and made a mistake by not responding to the activation of the land. Leaving back something wasn't the issue.

An other issue I am noticing about Cast Out and Censor is that they do not work well with Torrential Gearhulk. I think these new tools are good, but need to be trimmed down for the more favorable gearhulk targets.

Edit: Inspiring Sun is only inspiring bad decks (I hope to be proved wrong)

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Alternately:
- Cast Approach from hand, putting it seventh from the top
- Before your next draw, activate Marvel to put the top six cards on bottom
- Profit