Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

LonelyMudkip posted:

Regarding the rigor mortis thing, I think all that means is that he's been dead for at least 2 days, which isn't super relevant if we're suspecting the people who were on the trip (which of course we are, because anything else is too simple). It's possible there is something going on there to obfuscate the time of death. Like, maybe he was dead before they left and she left her air con on blast. Actually, I could be wrong about this, but I think 2-4 days means that he could've been killed on the morning that they left for the trip, but I'm not sure if Tsukasa would've seen the body if that were the case.

The lack of apparent murder weapon is interesting. As is the body's position under the lintel. Maybe Ryouko rigged a Home Alone style trap and something fell off of the lintel and smashed his brains out. That would explain why she "forgot" to lock the door when she was leaving.

I had this thought as well. Given the body's position next to the shelves, it's quite possible that a heavy object could have been rigged to fall on the victim when he opened the door.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be an obvious murder weapon around. We'd need the rest of the evidence to figure that one out. It's possible whoever was in the red car found the body first and absconded with the murder weapon. Or maybe the murder weapon was a heavy block of ice that was designed to melt by the time the group came back from their trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

"Rigor mortise is relaxed?"
"Yes. At first the corpse is limp, however after death in two or three hours it begins to harden, in 6 to 8 hours rigor mortise spreads through the whole body, between 12 to 15 hours is the most stiff. And now, it's instead limber, after two days stiffness completely dissipates."

"That means the time of the crime had to have been committed sometime before the 11th afternoon. So then, could it be the maximum amount of time is 4 days?"
(I don't know who said the last quote, the writer didn't stay, I'm assuming it's Tsukasa)
Marunouchi looking like he's about to go in a fit of rage, next to the ever smiling old examiner,

"Lookee here. You see sleeping beauty's neck has a greenish brown mesh starting to show. Along the veins, decomposition is spreading throughout the body. We call this marbling, it appears on a dead body about 2, or 3 days, however looking at the color, spreading, and taking the season into account, it's been no more than 4 days since death"
"I see"

"Hey old man. Talking with civies about investigation info is-"
To the detective's advice, the examiner says, "Ah my bad, my bad" and knocks his head.
Additionally, because the temperature at which the body was left in is innacurate, it would be difficult to whittle down the correct time, in the end, the time of death gap was not reduced.

Also, it's undetermined whether the place of murder was in the same room, or carried form outside because there was such a low amount of bleeding. By the way, Katsumi was someone who had many pairs of shoes, what kind of shoes he was wearing when he returned here, or if he was carried here after death, if so was he wearing shoes then? It seems Ryouko dosen't know.
(Sorry for the weird grammar. The sentence is hard for me to understand in Japanese)

Sakuma Katsumi's actions before the crime was investigated.
Katsumi and Ryouko half living together was already written before, but Katsumi himself has his own apartment one station over. According to Ryouko, in the 9th at 8 in the evening he came to her room, the same night sometime before 12 he went back home, but that was the last time she saw him.

Going by someone else, he had a convenience store shift in the 9th where he was off at 7pm, according to a third party that's the last time they saw him. Gone one day, then on the 11th he had a shift as well, but he never showed up, his cellphone maybe due to a dead battery caused it to not be reachable when calling, he was listed as AWOL. The angry manager fired him on the spot apparently.

Moreover, many friends and theater classmates tried calling him, but they couldn't reach him after all, no e-mail response either. His cellphone could not be found at the scene or in his room.
Going by the above-mentioned, the last one to confirm Katsumi's welfare is Ryouko, going by her word, the time of death can be between the 10th at 12am to the 11th at 4 pm.

All 3 girls' flight records were checked, there are no traces of anyone sneaking back to Japan behind everyone else's back. By Tsukasa's point of view, they were all together, there was no accommodation for a trip late at night either, and seeing as how Ryouko was staying in the same room as Tsukasa's, her Alibi is nothing short of perfect.
page 47
The delivery attempt notice was investigated aswell, the mailman came in the 12th at 4pm, he rang the doorbell but no one showed up so a notice was placed, at that time, there was no confirmation about whether or not the door was locked

Moreover, the one the police focused interrogation on was Ryouko's ex boyfriend.
His name was Tadokoro Youtarou. His main occupation is being a student,as well ashelping his friend's event related service company which he established. He's currently dating Hanai Kazumi, a woman who works in department store. Ryouko's second apartment key was given back to her when they broke up but, it's not impossible for a duplicate to have been made.

When asked by the police, he admitted to wanting to get back together with Ryouko but, he called the accusations of him killing Katsumi as absurd.
Because of the wide gap, he has no alibi. Because it's like that for everyone, him being suspected comes from a motive standpoint.

Even with that motive, another that stood out was, a fellow theater troupe group member, someone as young as Katsumi, Isaki Ryouma. Him and were frequently at each others throats when it came to plays. Also, Katsumi was given the part of a big role recently, that could probably lead to his major debut, but from the shadows Isaki was very much jealous of that it seems.

Tsukasa hears these prior events 2 days after the body discovery, the 15th, when Tsukasa and Tetsuo went to go visit Ryouko, where they found a young detective.

About when he was done talking, Marunouchi arrived late,
"Were you just talking about information relating to investigation?"
"No, uh, was I not supposed to?"
"Of course you aren't supposed to! drat, all these idiots don't know when to shut up!"
He let's his anger out.

"No big deal. More importantly, now that we have names, which one of them had a license?"
Tsukasa asks,
"License?"
As Marunouchi frowns, the young detective answers,
"I don't recall either Tadokoro Youtarou or Isaki Ryouma having a license"
He once again displays his loose lips, causing Marunouchi to get riled up.

"So what about it!"
"Knowing weather or not he was killed here is kind of important. If the body was carried here after he was killed, then it would be difficult without a car, wouldn't it? So the culprit must have a license, I think... But none of them have a license"
Tsukasa looked a bit disappointed.

"That's only if they carried the body inside."
"So the scene of the crime really is here? If so, the most suspicious one is Tadokoro-san. He snuck here not knowing Ryouko was gone, he just happens to see Katsumi, or maybe that was his goal all along? Either way the biggest obstacle preventing him from getting back together was Katsumi's existence..."

As Tsukasa says that, next to her Ryouko dejectedly hangs her head.
"Oh, I'm sorry. That was insensitive of me."
She smacks her head, then,
"Now that you mention it, Hanai Katsumi had a license, didn't she?"
The young detective mutters, Tsukasa turns around with an "Eh?".
"Hanai Kazumi is Tadokoro-san's girlfriend, right? But..."

After a bit of thinking,
"Do you know what kind of car she has?"
"I saw it actually. Uhh it was a red station wagon."
"Just like that car!"
Tetsuo blurted out before Tsukasa could.

Bewildered by this new development, they explain to Marunouchi about the car which almost crashed into them,
"You say that was a station wagon aswell? We'll have someone confirm that, but still, why would it be Hanai Kazumi? If she has a reason sure, but why kill Sakuma Katsumi? She wouldn't have a reason for that, and on top of purposefully carrying the body here on purpose. That's ridiculous!"

However Tsukasa does not yield to that argument,
"You see, in order to get rid of her love rival, Ryouko, she kills Katsumi-san. This pins the crime on Ryouko. Of course Hanai Kazumi didn't know about the trip, so this is her worst dream come true"
(Is killing your love rival's significant other a thing love rivals do? What are you basing this on Tsukasa? You dumb loving teenager)
Marunouchi had no words to counter that argument.

""Ah, I see. Makes sense. If you put it that way I could understand it."
Said the young detective while clapping as if speaking from the heart. Trying to say something to the young detective, Marunouchi only flapped his mouth.
"Well then I'll go and gather the evidence we need!"

His feet footwork is as fast as he talks, he briskly runs out. Then, in no more than 30 minutes he returned.
"Bingo! She was here, just like you said. Of course, she denied the murder. When she knew Tadokoro wanted to get back with Ryouko, she says she went to go settle things directly with Ryouko, she rang the doorbell a couple of times, but there was no response, so she left home all frustrated."

That's when Tetsuo tilts his head with a "Huh?",
"She only rang the chime? If she was so angry, wouldn't she at least try to open the door?"
The young detective remembers with a "Ummm" and,
"Ah right. She tried opening the doorknob but it didn't open"

"That's odd. When we got back, the door wasn't locked. When we crossed paths it wasn't even 5 minutes until we got to the door. Did someone open the door in that smal amount of time, because if not she has to be lying"

Tsukasa seconds Tetsuo's indication.
"I thought so! You're very intuitive aren't you Tsukasa-chan! So, now our most likely suspect is Hanai Kazumi isn't it?"

Marunouchi speaks out, raising his voice like a growling bulldog,
"Hmph, so there's a possibility he was killed somewhere else. Good grief, they sure like to play with smoke and mirrors. Hey Karube. I want the range of investigation increased! And get me a report on exactly what Hanai Kazumi was doing!"

Hearing his name, Tsukasa was in the verge of bursting into laughter, but the detective dosen't notice,
"ay ay, sir!"
He bids farewell and once again dashes off, at that time he passes by another lanky detective who enters the scene.
(Karube basically means lowly pawn)

"We've gotten an important testimony. It seems they heard something heavy hit the wall, which made a loud sound, on the early morning of the 11th, it was at 2:00AM."
"What? The morning of the 11th? Why are we getting the testimony now?"

"Very sorry. It was from next-door room 102 where a high school girl stays, she left the day before yesterday and didn't return until late last night, so we couldn't get in touch with her until today. Apparently she was out walking around town"
"It's within the range of time of death. Does this mean the murder happened at that time?!"

Next to Marunouchi, Tsukasa suddenly stands up and says,
"Hmmm. So, is Kazumi innocent...?"
"Just as I thought! Jeez, drat amateur dosen't know what she's doing"
"Seriously? Even though you got it into your head aswel, mister detective."
"Shut up! Don't get smart with me or I'll bust you!"
"You're crazy !"

Tsukasa hangs her head,
"Don't worry about it. That's life. All you can do is get back up."
She was more surprised than irritated seeing detective Karube speaking out so carefree and shamelessly.
(I wonder what she noticed?)

Next and last chapter
Chapter 3:
A Contradictory Testimony

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
A heavy thud in the middle of the night?

I think we have our time of death estimated now, I'm wondering if since it was dark, it's going to be a case of mistaken identity for the victim.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Ok, I've put together a very rough timeline cause all the dates and stuff were confusing me

Timeline posted:

Dec 9
----------------
7:00 - Katsumi finishes shift at work
8:00 - Katsumi visits Ryouko
<12:00 - Katsumi leaves Ryouko's apartment (according to Ryouko)

Dec 10
9:00am - Tetsuo picks up Tsukasa
9:20am - Tetsuo and Tsukasa pick up Ryouko, head straight to airport

Dec 11
2:00am - loud sound heard by neighbour, something hitting wall
??? - Katsumi doesn't show up at work
----------------

Dec 12
4:00pm - Mailman rings doorbell, no answer. Does not know if door was locked

Dec 13
~3:50pm - Kazumi visits Ryouko's apartment, claims door was locked
4:00pm - Tetsuo, Tsukasa and Ryouko arrive at apartment, discover body

The lines indicate the "2-4 days" window of time that Katsumi could've been killed in. I could be mistaken about some things, but I think it's pretty much accurate. And looking at it now, my Ryouko theory still works.
I think the loud thud the neighbour heard may not have been the actual murder. I think it may have been the rigor mortis wearing off :ssh: (speculation spoilered out of courtesy, I may be super wrong)

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

RedMagus posted:

A heavy thud in the middle of the night?

I think we have our time of death estimated now, I'm wondering if since it was dark, it's going to be a case of mistaken identity for the victim.

LonelyMudkip posted:

Ok, I've put together a very rough timeline cause all the dates and stuff were confusing me

The lines indicate the "2-4 days" window of time that Katsumi could've been killed in. I could be mistaken about some things, but I think it's pretty much accurate. And looking at it now, my Ryouko theory still works.
I think the loud thud the neighbour heard may not have been the actual murder. I think it may have been the rigor mortis wearing off :ssh: (speculation spoilered out of courtesy, I may be super wrong)

Yeah, everything is pointing to her(almost too much). I think it's weird how the neighbor heard a sound on the wall though, but the next chapter is about a contradictory testimony so who knows.
And I wonder when the title of the book of there not being light comes into play.
And where/how was he killed? Altough the game likes to ommit details like these unfortunately...
I don't like it when we have an obvious culprit, I really hope there's a bigger twist.

I really hope I can wrap it up faster than last time.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Right now, what I'm wondering about most is whether Katsumi even had a key to Ryouko's apartment, let alone a reason he would have been there during her vacation. If he had an altercation with Tadakoro or Kazumi, why would it have been there?

The other problem that comes to mind is that Tadakoro's potential motive is wanting to date Ryouko again -- so if that was his goal, why would he leave the corpse in her apartment and thus implicate her in the murder? The only thing that fits is that he had no other options, not having a car, but even then the event chain relies on Katsumi coincidentally being at Ryouko's apartment when Tadakoro comes by to talk to her, the two coming to blows (rather light blows given the lack of other wounds), Katsumi being killed by deliberate or accidental head trauma, and Tadakoro fleeing the scene and letting God sort it out. That's possible, certainly, but it's not really narratively satisfying, and it still requires proof that Katsumi both had access to the apartment and reason to be there, as well as a motive to let Tadakoro in in the first place.

Kazumi might want to frame Ryouko, but she doesn't have the means to do a corpse-dump on her own unless Tadakoro actually still has an apartment key and she steals it. That puts together a pretty implausible chain of events: Kazumi finding Katsumi and managing to ambush-kill him with a single blow to the head, then waiting several days before transporting his body (on her own, leaving no evidence or witnesses, which seems difficult even given that Ryouko's apartment is on the ground floor) to Ryouko's apartment and using Tadakoro's key to dump it there... all for the motive of framing Ryouko, who doesn't even seem inclined to take Tadakoro back and has even less motive to do so with her boyfriend alive? And she knows the dates of Ryouko's vacation so as to pull off this plan? Less plausible mysteries have been written, sure, but this doesn't fit together.

Really, I still feel like Katsumi being killed by Ryouko, either deliberately or accidentally (she shoves him and he hits the back of his head on a shelf, perhaps?), and her formulating the "fake unlocked apartment" plan on the fly is the most plausible answer, since it doesn't involve a lot of coincidental meetings or excessive knowledge of Ryouko/Katsumi's schedules by people who don't know him. We still need more facts, though.

EDIT: Two theories for the origin of the late-night thump, assuming it's important:

1) Katsumi being knocked into the wall and presumably killed by his head hitting a shelf. Would suggest an altercation with Tadakoro, although it still isn't clear why Katsumi was there at 2 AM. (Tadakoro being there at 2 AM -- well, dude sounds like a creepy guy, I can suspend disbelief there.)

2) Katsumi's body being dumped against the floor/wall of the apartment, presumably by Kazumi. It'd explain a lack of witnesses, but it wouldn't explain why Kazumi would later return to the complex in broad daylight, two days later, and link herself to her crime for no good reason.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 18, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Antivehicular posted:

And she knows the dates of Ryouko's vacation so as to pull off this plan? Less plausible mysteries have been written, sure, but this doesn't fit together.

Tsukasa theorized that Kazumi DID NOT know about her vacation, therefore making her get found out. Ryouko being gone for so long gives her a seemingly perfect alibi.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I just want to point out that we had girls running woth toast in their mouths. That's sticking to the tropes hard :allears:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

juicedup posted:

Tsukasa theorized that Kazumi DID NOT know about her vacation, therefore making her get found out. Ryouko being gone for so long gives her a seemingly perfect alibi.

Right, but if she didn't know the apartment was unoccupied, why would she attempt to use it for a frame job? Dumping the body in Ryouko's apartment if Ryouko is actually there is way too risky. I mean, it's possible the character was taking an insane risk, but I tend to think about mystery plots like this as if the characters are rational actors.

I suppose it's possible that Kazumi could have a situation like I speculated on for Tadakoro -- went over to Ryouko's to talk to/confront her, found Katsumi instead, got into an altercation and accidentally or deliberately killed him, fled -- but what would her motive be for getting into a violent altercation with Katsumi, and why would she go back on the 13th knowing she'd left a corpse there days earlier?

(Also, mystery writers: in future, please do not introduce characters named "Kazumi" and "Katsumi" into the same story, tia)

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Antivehicular posted:

Right, but if she didn't know the apartment was unoccupied, why would she attempt to use it for a frame job? Dumping the body in Ryouko's apartment if Ryouko is actually there is way too risky. I mean, it's possible the character was taking an insane risk, but I tend to think about mystery plots like this as if the characters are rational actors.

I suppose it's possible that Kazumi could have a situation like I speculated on for Tadakoro -- went over to Ryouko's to talk to/confront her, found Katsumi instead, got into an altercation and accidentally or deliberately killed him, fled -- but what would her motive be for getting into a violent altercation with Katsumi, and why would she go back on the 13th knowing she'd left a corpse there days earlier?

Only thing I can think of is if she fled in a panic and left behind some incriminating evidence that she needed to remove from the scene later.

As for the reason why Katsumi was in the apartment... depending on how close his own apartment is, it's possible he heard the culprit snooping around Ryoko's apartment and went over to investigate. When the culprit was caught, they panicked and shoved him into the shelf, where he hit his head and died.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Chapter 3 A Contradictory Testimony

Taking a shortcut through digression, Tadokoro Youtarou returns to the most likely culprit spot.
Regarding the account of between the night of the 10th and the morning of the 11th, he testifies that he was in his house the whole time after getting off work at 7 in the afternoon.

But when pressed for more details, it resulted in a different story, he testifies that he was actually hanging around the scene. Because he didn't know about Ryouko's trip, he was waiting for her to come home and have a talk with her.

Tsukasa of course heard this from none other than detective Karube. Marunouchi showed up in the middle of that and groans angrily as he shoves his hands to his own face

"And then? And then?"
"I asked him, 'So couldn't see her after all, but you saw Sakuma Katsumi, and that's when you killed him?' but he firmly denied it. Tadokoro says, From 6pm or 8pm he was waiting for her on her route back home, a bit farther from here. After that he was waiting close to the aprtment until 3am and keeping watch of this apartment room.

During that whole time Sakuma Katsumi never showed up, he also says he wouldn't sneak sneak inside the room"

Tsukasa tilts her head
"So while Ryouko was gone, Katsumi never came here while Tadokoro was keeping watch, was the light turned off the whole time?"
"Yeah. That's what Tadokoro says. At least until 3am, the room was dark the whole time

"What about sound. That sound they heard at 2am, what about that?"
"I tried to sound him out for that but, he says he didn't hear a single thing the whole time. Well it could be that from where he was, he couldn't here the sound, because if he did hear something it would mean someone was there"

Tsukasa while organizing her thoughts says,
"But isn't that odd? That during the time of Katsumi's murder, for at least 6 hours no one entered the room, and the light was off the whole time, and apparently that's when the crime took place"

Marunouchi interrupts
"Of course it's odd. Because that means Tadokoro's testimony is a lie!"
"Actually, what is Hanai Kazumi's testimony after that?"
"It hasn't changed. She came here, she rang the doorbell, and insists the door was locked"

Marunouchi becomes more angry
"They all have no good things to say!"

He looked like he was on the verge of losing his temper, but Tsukasa was too focused on her own deductions to notice
"But, if Tadokoro just thought a bit, wouldn't he notice that his testimony is odd? If so, why say that testimony?"

"If he were to say he happened to see a third party, or that the light came on, there may be a contradiction somewhere else. If he were to just say it was dark the whole time, then there would be less faults to come out"

"But why not just say he left home at 2 or 1? Then there wouldn't be any contradictions, why testify that he was there until 3?"
"I see!" Karube says impressed, and Marunouchi scratches his head,
"Tsukasa, what are you trying to do?! Is Tadokoro suspicious or not?"

"All I'm interested is in the truth"
Tsukasa tried to show how she feels, but it seems she only worsened his temper,
"Enough, I don't buy it! It's suspicious! You keep trying to get info, and saying things to throw off the investigation. I see, so it's you is it? Are you behind it all?"

She doesn't understand what's making him say that.
"Don't be ridiculous! Don't you know we have a perfect alibi?"
"That was your aim from the beginning, wasn't it? It has to be. This would all be easy with an accomplice. I've heard of people hiring murderers on the net recently"

When Marunouchi gets an idea he's the type to keep going with it,
"Hm. There's no doubt. You're motive was romance. You were actually dating Sakuma Katsumi weren't you?"
"Those are all complete delusions. You say I was trying to get info, but Karube is the one who blurted it out."

"Enough. Now hurry and confess already!"
Even his eyes have turned into a different color.
"Wh-What"
Just how could you counter crazy arguments like this? This has to be harder than trying to convince the judge of a witch trial. Without being able to think, she was in the biggest pinch of her life on the verge of tears.

However, at this time, all the data in order to reach the truth of the matter is laid out as of now.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Marounochi is a terrible cop. Obviously Tsukasa is innocent, she's the assistant character!

I was thinking that Kazumi was lying about the door being locked, but now I'm beginning to think that maybe Ryouko is the liar. Like, maybe she fussed around with the doorknob and acted confused when they got back from the trip, but actually unlocked it as she was doing that and just said it wasn't locked. And maybe she did that because she didn't want it to look like a locked room mystery, she wanted it to look like someone broke in and murdered Katsumi while she was overseas, because she actually killed him before they left.

That might be reaching a bit, though.

Edit:
A much simpler explanation is that Kazumi found the door unlocked, saw the corpse, freaked out and ran cause she knew she'd be a suspect, and lied about the door being locked.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

LonelyMudkip posted:

Marounochi is a terrible cop. Obviously Tsukasa is innocent, she's the assistant character!

And maybe she did that because she didn't want it to look like a locked room mystery, she wanted it to look like someone broke in and murdered Katsumi while she was overseas, because she actually killed him before they left.

Seriously, what kind of detective hasn't played Ace Attourney?!

And yeah, this mystery is actually pretty easy to figure out with the right thinking, of course I spent days on it, so I'm not one to talk

Anyways the book ends and the characters start talking.
I gifd the animations in order to spice things up.

This loving song again: https://clyp.it/mprybeec
Yoshi::This is where the akasha ends...
Yoshi:: We learned a lot about the case
Marunouchi: Yeah
Yoshikawa: Let's confirm the parts that seem important

Yoshikawa:Going by the inspection, it was presumed to be 2 to 4 days after death
Yoshi:: The presumed time being between 12/9 4pm and 12/11 4pm.
Marunouchi: And we also have a testimony that whitles down the time of death, remeber?
Yoshi:: The neighbor high schooler's testimony, right
Yoshi:: They heard something heavy hit the wall is what they say
Yoshi:: Certainly the time they heard it was on...
Question: When did the highschooler hear the sound
1. 12/9 at 2am
2. 12/10 at 2 am
3. 12/11 at 2 am
(I picked 2 at first then this happens)
Marunouchi: Hey, what are you saying
Marunouchi: Did you read the akasha carefully?
Yoshikawa: Uhh... I meant to but...
Marunouchi: It's an important testimony
Marunouchi: The neighbor heard the sound at 12/11 2am
Yoshikawa: Oh, yeah it was...
Marunouchi: The victim's time of death concurs with the testimony
Marunouchi: It's possible the crime took place at that time
Tsukasa: But going by Tadokoro's testimony of him keeping an eye on the room...
Tsukasa: The room was dark the whole time, wasn't it?
Tsukasa: Hmmmm.....
Yoshi:: Did the culprit carry out the crime in the dark through a certain method?....
Yoshi:: Or is Tadokoro Youtarou the culprit, and he lied about the room being dark?
Yoshi:: Or, could it be that he was killed, and carried into the apartment?...
Yoshi:: Or maybe....
Yoshi:: Well, let's begin the deduction.
(Here are the questions that need to be answered.)

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Well, I was waiting for someone else to chip in cause I still don't really get how this game works, but I guess not. Like, I think I know what happened, but I don't know how the game wants me to express that.

Anyway, the statements that stand out to me as suspicious are:

It goes clatter clatter many times and she tilts her head in confusion
The door wasn't locked
Insists the door was locked

Obviously cause of the contradiction

The room was dark the whole time
He says he didn't hear a single thing the whole time

Because that seems pretty darn important, and also, y'know, the title of the chapter

Fixed shelves built on top of the lintel on both sides
After two days stiffness completely dissipates
He fell down limp
Something heavy hit the wall, which made a loud sound

Because that pretty much sums up my entire theory

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
"The door wasn't locked"
Insists the door was locked
These two react and make a mystery titled "When was the crime scene unlocked"
Then that mystery reacts with It goes clatter clatter many times and she tilts her head in confusion

and forms this epiphany
Sound effect: https://clyp.it/fekqxyjl

Then a conversation happens

: When Ryouko returns home, she inserts the keys and it clatters
: Maybe the crime scene was unlocked at that time
: It's possible Ryouko unlocked it herself, and lied that it was already unlocked
: No way. What would she lie about that for?
: I can't tell why she would, as of now.

The room was dark the whole time
He says he didn't hear a single thing the whole time

Those two make a mystery that asks "Was the light truly off?"
And also I put That sound they heard at 2am
Which makes a mystery titled "From where did something fall from" and gives variants like something fell from above, and something was thrown into the scene

Fixed shelves built on top of the lintel on both sides
After two days stiffness completely dissipates
He fell down limp
Something heavy hit the wall, which made a loud sound

fell down and something heavy makes a mystery questioning if that was when he was killed by blunt object

stiffness dissipates and something heavy hit the wall makes a mystery questioning if the sound that was heard happened at the same time that rigor mortise wore off, then what was the sound?
: If that sound in the 11th has something to do with rigor mortis...
Yoshikawa: Then the sound had to be "that"
Tsukasa: What do you mean by "that"?
Yoshikawa: If the time of the sound and rigor mortis wearing off are the same then that naturally means...?
That mystery combines with fell down limp and makes this epiphany, which is the same color we need to answer one of the questions.

We just need one more red epiphany and I think we should be good.
Fixed shelves didn't react to anything, so we need to find something to combine that with.

(I want to add that each story is only supposed to take like 30 minutes to complete each. just to let you know how slow I am at translating)

juicedup fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 23, 2017

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Well, considering I'm a plebeian who only speaks english, I think you're doing a great job.

And poo poo, I was way closer than I thought I'd be. I'm not sure what could combine with the shelves, maybe after death in two or three hours it begins to harden (etc), to explain where the body was before it fell? From what I understand, the body was arranged on the two shelves on either side of the lintel while stiff from rigor mortis, so when the body relaxed it fell through the gap between the shelves. This means it would've been out of Tsukasa's line of sight when she came to get Ryouko, which is why Ryouko told her to stay by the entrance.

Geez, if I'm right about this then Ryouko must be frigging jacked to lift her dead boyfriend's rigid body up onto a pair of shelves above her head. When I first thought of this theory I figured he was propped upright against the wall or something, but considering how the body is arranged this makes more sense. I guess it did say he was pretty slender, but that's still drat impressive.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Sorry for the delay.
I've actually been playing Ace Attorney instead, and I think I like it better than this, I'm thinking about doing a daigyakuten LP instead. This game just feels like sony's attempt at Ace Attorney

I'm going to try and go through this game really fast, skipping non important dialog from now on.

We need to combine the mystery From where did something fall from and Fixed shelves built on top of the lintel on both sides and gives us this red epiphany

Skipping ahead to the verification where we explain this to Tsukasa;
Music: https://clyp.it/0bpwa0kj
Yoshikawa: Think back to when the body was first discovered
Yoshikawa: The body was lying in the area where the dining kitchen and living room meet
Yoshikawa: There were shelves above the body on the lintel
Yoshikawa: It's natural to think that's where he fell from
] Tsukasa:: B,But, why would a dead body fall from the lintel?
Yoshikawa: Because the culprit put it there, of course
Marunouchi:: Why store it there? It's in plain sight isn't it?
Marunouchi:: Moreover, it fell you say? So the culprit made it fall?
Yoshikawa: No, when the room was dark the culprit should not have been there
Yoshikawa: The corpse fell by itself
Tsukasa:: Was there an earthquake
(Skip through some dumb dialog)
Yoshikawa: It was made to fall. Remember this epiphany

Yoshikawa: The culprit used rigor mortis to their advantage this way...
Yoshikawa: If the body is stiff, they place the head and feet on the shelf, which holds it up

(Is rigor mortis even that strong? It's just hardened blood isn't it?)
Marunouchi: But, no matter how lanky the victim was, would they be able to lift them up by themselves?
Yoshikawa: There was a steel table in the living room and chairs in the dining room
Yoshikawa: Using those, you can lift it little by little
(No budget to actually show this)
Yoshikawa: And if the body is left like this...
Yoshikawa: The stiff body gradually becomes softer

Yoshikawa: The body bends and slips through the gap
Yoshikawa: Lastly it makes a loud sound and falls to the floor

Yoshikawa: The culprit, in order to deceive the time of the crime used rigor mortis to make a timing trick
Marunouchi:]: Wait! If rigor mortis was relaxed on the 11th then that means...
Marunouchi:: Thinking backwards will tell us when he actually died!
Yoshikawa: Correct.
Yoshikawa: Corpses become softer after the hardest point in 12 to 15 hours
Yoshikawa: It has to have been 2 days
Yoshikawa: Basically, going by the testimonies....
Yoshikawa: The time of death has to be between the 9th 7PM and the 10th 11AM.
Tsukasa:: Before the 10th 11AM...
Marunouchi:: Basically he could have been killed before Tsukasa and the others left on the trip
Marunouchi:: Meaning you're now part of the jolly group of suspects
Tsukasa: It's not jolly!
Yoshikawa: Well, let's sum up the results of the verification up till now
(How about no?)
Tsukasa:: So Katsumi didn't visit Ryouko's room after all...
Tsukasa:: He was already dead, and in the room the whole time...
Marunouchi:]: But, when did the culprit put the body up there?
Marunouchi:]: Surely there are people with or without an alibi concerning that
Yoshikawa: When exactly did they put the body there...
Yoshikawa: When you think about the scene's door being locked you would realize.
Tsukasa:: The scene's door being locked
Marunouchi:: There was a contradiction about wether the door was locked or not wasn't there?
Yoshikawa: When Ryouko went to the trip, she locked the apartment room.
Yoshikawa: Tsukasa confrimed it so there is no doubt
Yoshikawa: So then, after that, if they wanted to put the body on top of the shelf they would have to open the door
Yoshikawa: Well then, when was to scene's door opened
Music: https://clyp.it/gskwwjlg
Yoshikawa talks about the possibilities until we get to this epiphany

Tsukasa:: The door was locked...?
Tsukasa:: But, why would she lie about...
Yoshikawa: You will see why she lied about it, soon.
Yoshikawa: What you should think about is the part where the lock wasn't opened until she returned
Yoshikawa: If they can't open the door, they they can't put a body in there
Yoshikawa: Basically... The body was placed there before Takahashi Ryouko left for the trip
Tsukasa: What, no way...! Ryouko would notice that.
Marunouchi:]: Hm... It would be odd if they didn't notice someone laying on top of a shelf
Yoshikawa: But of course.
Tsukasa:: So...?
Tsukasa: What do you mean? Yoshikawa-san
Yoshikawa: ... Well, it's about time I say it
Yoshikawa: Who is the culprit?
Music: https://clyp.it/v1gia0gs
Yoshikawa: Ryoko left for the trip on the 10th 9:20AM
Yoshikawa: No one else could have entered the room
Yoshikawa: In order to use rigor mortis to their advantage, they had to have put the body up there before this time
(Actually we already know all this don't we?)
Sound effect: https://clyp.it/spvjsoam
Yoshikawa: The culprit is Takahashi Ryouko. It can't be anyone else
Music: https://clyp.it/3um1i2dn
Tsukasa::....
Tsukasa:: That's.... A lie... Ryouko can't be the culprit...
Yoshikawa: It's unfortunate but there is no other answer
Tsukasa:: But... It's odd
Tsukasa:: Because Sakuma died in Ryouko's room
Tsukasa:: If a body is found in her room, she would be held suspect
Tsukasa:: No one would take that kind of risk
Yoshikawa: However in reality there were no suspicions on her
Yoshikawa: Isn't that right?
Yoshikawa: Neither you nor Marunouchi suspected her once.
Tsukasa:: ...That's...
Yoshikawa: I don't know the exact reason making her own room the scene of the crime
Yoshikawa: Maybe she planned it from the start
Yoshikawa: Maybe she killed him accidentally, and thought of a way to hide it...
Yoshikawa: Whatever the case she very well knew
Yoshikawa: That if a body was found in her room, it would be dangerous
Yoshikawa: That's why she needed to make a strong alibi to make her not suspected
Yoshikawa: First before going to the trip
Yoshikawa: She brings you inside to make you think there isn't a dead body
Yoshikawa: Next she brings you both inside to treat you to tea
Yoshikawa: That's when she tricks you to thinking the door was opened, and shows you the dead body
Yoshikawa: With this she there are no suspicions on her, and you're made to think someone else did it
Yoshikawa: She used you for her own alibi
Yoshikawa: Not once but twice
(She also killed your dog)
Tsukasa:: That's....
(Why can't anime girls finish their sentences?)
Yoshikawa: She wanted to make it so the suspicons would not be whittled down as much as possible in order to make it seem like anyone could have done it...
Yoshikawa: She knew that was necessary
Tsukasa:: ......
Yoshikawa: That's all I know.
Yoshikawa: If you can't accept it then go back to the real world and re examine it
Yoshikawa: I'll leave the rest to you and the police
Tsukasa:: ...Okay
Tsukasa:: Thanks... for your help

Go home anime girl
Music: https://clyp.it/eijlspce
Marunouchi: Hm... This is a bit of a pity
Marunouchi: Having your friend be the culprit isn't a conclusion you'd want to believe
Marunouchi:: And on top of it all, being used for an alibi...
Yoshikawa: True...
Yoshikawa: But, in a certain sense, you could say Takahashi Ryouko believed in her and Kojima Tetsuo
Yoshikawa: Because they trusted her and didn't suspect her is why Takahashi Ryouko believed in them
Yoshikawa: That may be the reason she used only them for a vital alibi.
Marunouchi:]: That's quite an ironic friendship
Marunouchi:]: Humans sometimes use the fortune of trust for evil, is that what you're trying to say...
Marunouchi:: Still, why did Ryouko kill Sakuma Katsumi after all
Yoshikawa: Who knows, that kind of thing is...
Marunouchi:: Either one of their love ended, or they fought over something trivial, and couldn't take it anymore...
Marunouchi:: Well, there's many possibilities... I'll have to ask her myself
Marunouchi:: Now, It's time I excuse myself
Marunouchi:: I'm not looking foward to all the clean up, but this is work
Marunouchi:: Yoshikawa-kun, I appreciate your co operation with the investigation

Goodbye dumb detective
Music: https://clyp.it/haypnhqs
Yama:: Another case with her huh?
Yama:: She just can't catch a break from misfortune
Yoshikawa: There should be many other Akasha
Yoshikawa: Why am I in charge of cases with her?
Yama:: It's just a coincidence
Yama:: It just so happened that I couldn't solve this akasha
Yoshikawa: Even so it's quite curious
Yoshikawa: Right on the heels of yesterday another case involving her occurs
Yama:: It was not yesterday
Yoshikawa makes this face while Yama is talking.
I'm not even going to resize it because it's so perfect

Yama:: Since that last and this case, half a month has gone by
Yama:: Your world and this one pass through time differently
Yama:: One day here is half a month over there
Yoshikawa: Even so, I don't think she will get caught up in another one withing half a month
Yama:: There are misfortunate humans like that
Yama:: But aren't you glad?
Yama:: Work is easier with someone you know
: I don't feel like they're helping very much though...
Yoshikawa: It might be better with just me and the Akasha
Yama:: It's not very common for the same people to be involved in another case
Yama:: There probably won't be another Akasha concerning her again
Yoshikawa: I hope so
Yama:: But if you and her have some sort of fate, there might just be another one
Yoshikawa: That's not a very happy fate
Yama:: Fate is fate
Yama:: It's netither happy or unhappy
Yama:: I myself think a relationship mediated by murder mystery is quite interesting
Yoshikawa: .....
Yama:: Well then I should get to looking for another one
Yama:: By the way, what kind of girl is to your liking?
Yoshikawa: Huh?
Yama:: I myself adore girls that look good in short hair and jeans
Yama:: What about you?
Yoshikawa: ....Well, that's not bad
Yama:: Great, I'll chose an article having that type of girl
Yama: Look foward to it.
I can't do the trailer, I don't want to subscribe to premiere pro and after effects again
How about a webm instead
https://my.mixtape.moe/omxwbl.webm
A murder case occurred in winter at a girl's dormitory.
The one who was killed was the college student staying in room 206.
The victim died with their index finger pointed out.
It seems she tried to write something with blood, but that part of the floor was cut and taken off, it's unknown what the message was....
Is the message that was cut off a clue to the culprit, or maybe something else?

What was the message that was cut off?

Next time:
"At The Girl's Dorm During Snowfall
By Maya Yutaka

juicedup fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 4, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

LonelyMudkip posted:

Geez, if I'm right about this then Ryouko must be frigging jacked to lift her dead boyfriend's rigid body up onto a pair of shelves above her head. When I first thought of this theory I figured he was propped upright against the wall or something, but considering how the body is arranged this makes more sense. I guess it did say he was pretty slender, but that's still drat impressive.

Yeah this set-up took some doing. Plus you had to make sure the body wouldn't get stuck on the shelves, otherwise you'd give the game away in a very silly way.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Yama: Sorry to keep you waiting
Yama: I found a pretty good one
Yama: Just as I promised, an article that has a good looking short hair jean wearing girl.
Yama: Not only that, all the characters are girls
Yama: With that in mind, what do you think the setting is?
Yoshikawa: ...Beats me
Music: https://clyp.it/mprybeec
Yama: A girls dorm A girl's dorm!
Yama: A secret garden!
Yoshikawa:....
Yama: I've been doing this job for quite a while, and I don't see many of these kind of cases
Yama: Something about reading it gets me excited
Yama: Girl dorms sure are something
Yoshikawa: ...So, were you not able to solve this Akasha I take it?
Yama: Yup, couldn't make the grade.
Yama: I just wasn't in the mood to
Yama: I just felt so sorry for the girl that was killed. That poor girl...
Yama: And I just couldn't think, you see...
Yoshikawa: (He's talking in quite high spirits and makes it sound gross....)
Yama: And unfortunately, an eyesore interupted the middle of it, you see
Yoshikawa: An eyesore?
Yama: Them over there.

(God drat it)
Yoshikawa: Detective Marunouchi...?
Yama: And let's summon another one while we're at it, a suspect of this case.
Yama: I'll leave the rest to you

Yoshikawa: ...Amano...Tsukasa?
Yoshikawa: Again?
Tsukasa: I'm sorry. I got involved in another case
Yoshikawa: Well, can't help what you get caught up in
Yoshikawa: If happened twice it'll happen again
Tsukasa: Sorry. Let's do our best
Marunouchi: Looks like I have to be here aswell
Marunouchi: My bad
Yoshikawa: Must be tough for you, detective.
Marunouchi: No No, if I did my job properly then I wouldn't have to bother you.
Marunouchi: I feel so inexcusable
Marunouchi: It seems Tsukasa was the one that... notified us
Marunouchi For this case, no matter how I look at it she can't be the culprit but...
Yoshikawa: Yama says the culprit is alone, though.
Yoshikawa: Let's just try reading it

Music: Requiem, op 48 -In Paradisum
https://youtu.be/K9JBG_r1lu4
Chapter 1
Janurary, 21st, Saturday
11:30PM

A lone taxi stops in front of "The Great Swan Cottage" when night was deepening.
"Senpai! It's just a bit more. Please hang in there."
Tsukasa with great pull, somehow carries Nìtsuru Chiemi who is covered in a stench of alcohol out of the taxi.
"I got it already. I'm perfectly fine, look"

However, Chiemi was dead drunk with unsteady feet, had Tsukasa not lent her shoulder, she would certainly fall where she stands.
Around the area it seems more snow had piled than there was before. Falling here would undoubtedly cause you to freeze immediately.
(I smell a freeze trick)

"Look the door is right there"
The distance from the gate to door is but only about a dozen meters. Warm light flows from the door, there will be no freezing to death here. Tsukasa desperately tries her best to move forward, yet she doesn't progress so well.

It may be caused by her own drunkness, however Chiemi is much too heavy. If "heavy" were to be said that may indict Chiemi's rage. It is not that she is fat, actually she is quite slender. It's that she has a large stature close to 6 feet, the body of a profesionall ballet dancer. Actually large stature itself may induce her rage. Let's just say she's tall.

"I'll have you couph up the cab fare later, you hear?"
She hits her with complaints all of a sudden.
"I got it already"
She rests her jaw on Tsukasa's head, tottering from side to side like a Yajirobè, Chiemi keeps repeating her empty promises.

(A Yajirobè is a balance toy in Japan that distributes all it's weight in one tiny point)

(I'm sure the trick will involve something like this)

But surely when tomorrow arrives she will forget. No doubt. "Ah, If only I've gotten a receipt" Tsukasa regrets to herself.
Normaly she's a hit with the guys and always spruce, A short haired senpai who looks good in jeans, yet why did it come to this... Call it strange, but Tsukasa was deeply dissapointed.

She may be a bit rough around the edges, But she has a good head on her sholders, has a great personality, her looks are on point. She's a triple threat. Her only weak point worth saying is her relationships with men. She has no descerning eye, and always ends up in horrible break ups. This time she was dumped by her boyfried that she was going out with for 4 months. Tsukasa was violently dragged to drink with her. This is actually a continuation of last evening, their second time drinking.

Yesterday night she didn't want to go back home, after heavy drinking at the bar she passed out drunk on Tsukasa's room floor. Late in the afternoon when Tsukasa though she finally woke up, she heads to the fridge and empties numerous beer cans, giving Tsukasa no choice but to deal with her, when night comes just like yesterday she barhops the town in abandonment. At that time the same grumbles were repeated tens, hundreds of times.

The ex boyfriend, actually had 2 other girlfriends, "It's not healthy for me to keep doing this, I'm leaving you and keeping the others" Chiemi kept repeating that horrible breakup story. The worst part is that Chiemi fell in love with him saying he would be a good life partner.

"That means there's two girls higher up than me? And why is he saying it so bluntly? Like you're Japanese, aren't you supposed to be more reserved?

I'll have to cut it off here.
I'll try to update with 10 pages a day.
Again sorry for being so slow. If I could I would do an Akasha a day.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 25, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Chiemi complains while slamming the beer mug on the table. This may be a heavy story, but when Tsukasa was made to join her in sorrow drinking, it wasn't as bad as this, they were all good for nothing men. You could say Chiemi's eyes are working against her, it's the only thing Tsukasa has over her.

To Tsukasa Chiemi is an adult figure to her, who always gives Tsukasa advice when she needs help. Of course that makes Tsukasa want to help Chiemi in her times of need, so she joined her. But if it keeps going on like this, then her stress levels may go through the roof. Today she was able to somehow convince Chiemi senpai to bring her to her residence, the Great Swan.

They finally arrive to their destination, the front entrance. A trip that should take only seconds instead lasted minutes. As soon as they get there Chiemi hits her forehead on the door with a great thud.
"Are you okay?"
"It's okay, all I saw was the crab nebula"
She goes heheh, with an untidy smile.

Tsukasa had never drunk that much before, she shudders at the thought of becoming that way.
Chiemi takes out the key from her bag, then trying many times to open it with a trembling hand. Seeing that sluggish sight made Tsukasa want to grab it and do it herself.
The door finally opens, and the dazzling light of the entrance hall shines upon them.

"We're finally here"
Chiemi tries to sit there. Tsukasa frantically tries to help her up.
"You can't sleep here. There's still a ways to go to get to your room. So come on, take off your shoes."
Just endure a bit more, Tsukasa thinks to herself as she pulls her by the arm.

The Great Swan has a stylish two story western outward appearance, a private female dormitory, all the residents attend the nerby college. They share the same entrance and it's in the stlye of taking off shoes and changing into slippers.
The entrance hall is affixed with pure white cloth, past it is a corridor and stairs. The corridor goes straight down leading to the various rooms in the first floor. The stairs lead to the first floor.

There are three rooms in the first floor, 6 rooms in the second floor making it 9 in total, At the moment there are only 7 residents. Even though it's a dorm, each room has their own kitchen, bath and bathroom, which makes it no different from a student apartment. However on the first floor there is a relatevly large lounge area, where residents can interact in.

This lounge is the selling point of the Great Swan, it's popular among parents who are worried about sending their daughters to a solitary life in Tokyo. However parent's and children's anticipations not being the same is a fact of life, there are many who find cohabitation troublesome. It hasn't even been half a fiscal year with two newcomers already moved out.

"I guess weirdos are the only ones who stay here"
Is what Chiemi grumbled in the past, blind to her own shortcomings. Tsukasa, for a reason similar to today has been here once before, she knows Chiemi's room is the one in the back in room 103, but has not yet met any other resident.

Here is a diagram of the dorm
I can't translate the names of the other rooms because the game hasn't told me how they're pronounced. Refer back to it when we meet the other characters. Though I hope we don't have to keep track of 6 more characters.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 22, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm always weirded out whenever gods in Japanese media sperg out about japanese nerd poo poo. I know it's supposed to be appealing to the audience, but come on. You're a god. I'm p sure the mystique of girl dorms has long since been lost on you.

Or is he just screwing with Yoshikawa?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I always look at it as a "hello fellow teens" type of situation. Being a multi-year old deity means you're gonna come off as a try hard, no matter who you're trying to relate to.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

So far this is looking more like the set up for a slasher movie than a murder mystery, but that's probably my western sensibilities talking.

And man, if this game was an anime I would watch the heck out of it. It's kind of like Case Closed meets Death Parade

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

SSNeoman posted:

I'm always weirded out whenever gods in Japanese media sperg out about japanese nerd poo poo. I know it's supposed to be appealing to the audience, but come on. You're a god. I'm p sure the mystique of girl dorms has long since been lost on you.

Or is he just screwing with Yoshikawa?

You just made me realize this game came out during the death note craze. And this is basically reverse death note.
THIS LP IS loving OVER

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I saw this in the sandcastle and only just found you'd posted it! It's good, keep it up!

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

eating only apples posted:

I saw this in the sandcastle and only just found you'd posted it! It's good, keep it up!

I'm glad you appreciate it!
I hope you stick around for the mystery solving. And hopefully this one is harder than the last one where they basically spelled it out for us. But still the trailer makes it seem like it won't be as easy.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
"Senpai. Just a bit more, I'm begging you."
It may have been from relief, but Chiemi is collapsed in the doorway, and will not move. There may be heating in the entrance hall and the hallway corridors so she most likely would not die from freezing. But that is no reason to leave raw trash in the common living space.
(Who the gently caress is this narrator?)

While Tsukasa is in the thick of things,
"What is it this time, Chiemi. Layin' on the floor like that. Drinkin' again?"
From behind her a shrilly kansai accent voice comes from the stairs, coupled with steps coming down. When Tsukasa turns around, she sees a woman standing there doning a yellow padded Kimono. She must be a resident.

She is addressing Chiemi in such a manner, she must either be the same year or an upperclassman. She is about the same height as Chiemi. Tanned with defined facial features. Creating a mismatch with her straght distinctive violet died hair, making for quite a funky look.

"Ah, Mari? I would never. I was just resting"
Chiemi pouts with her bluffs. However Mari sadistically narrows her eyes, and says
"Resting, huh? It looks to me like you're causing that girl nothing but trouble"

"Hi, nice to meet you." Tsukasa gives an embarrassed greeting. "My name is Amano Tsukasa"
"Tsukasa is it? It must be tough. Well take care of her for me. It's probably heartbreak again. I'd rather not be the one dealing with going drinking, hang in there Tsukasa."

As Mari briskly tries going back up the stairs as if nothing happened. This isn't good.
"I'm sorry. It looks like she's too much for me, could you help me?
At least until we get her to the room? It wouldn't be good for others if we're held up on the entrance."

"Jeez, I guess. Chiemi is pretty dang heavy, you wouldn't be able to do it by just yourself"
Giving a fed up kind of vibe she sulks her shoulders, and roughly tugs at Chiemi's other arm.

"Don't call me heavy! And if it comes to body fat percentage, you obviously have more. And for the record I'm not even drunk. So I don't need your hand to walk."
Chiemi with all her strength gets off their grasp, and in the next moment with unsteady feet she is leaning on the wall.

"Told ya so. You do need to depend on others. Besides sleeping there's gonna make you hurt tomorrow. But jeez, you sure got booze odor"

Even with Chiemi's alcohol dulled senses, she could tell how hard the floor was, so being unable to argue with that, she says, "Okay fine, here."
As if she's used to it, Mari in response says, "Nice behavior you got there. Who's this princess?" and sarcastically smiles, as she lends her shoulder.

On the first floor, the lounge room is the nearest, continuing with room 101, 102, to where Chiemi lives in room 103. After they pass the lounge and get in front of room 101, "Oh right, I have a souvenir for Aki."

"Chiemi all of a sudden starts rumaging inside her bag. It's a revolving sushi character mascot keyholder she won in a revolving sushi plate raffel.
"She likes cartoon characters, right?"
With unsteady feet she gets closer to the door, and violently knocks.
"The heck you doin'? Aki left for Hokkaido today. All that noise'll rattle everyone up"
Mari hurridly stops her.
Hokkaido? Why at this same time again? Wasn't her family in Shizuoka? Since she always gifts me mont blanc unagi"

juicedup fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 22, 2017

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Mont Blanc unagi? Wouldn't that be chestnuts and whipped cream on top of eel?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

juicedup posted:

You just made me realize this game came out during the death note craze. And this is basically reverse death note.
THIS LP IS loving OVER

I'm sorta surprised because I expect this to be aimed at chicks, considering our prettyboy protagonist.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Delvio posted:

Mont Blanc unagi? Wouldn't that be chestnuts and whipped cream on top of eel?

She must not be a very good friend.
But maybe it actually is delicious. when I looked up モンブランうなぎ on google images it brings up lots of fancy looking foodporn.

SSNeoman posted:

I'm sorta surprised because I expect this to be aimed at chicks, considering our prettyboy protagonist.

I think they probably wanted their own Edgeworth for this game.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007

juicedup posted:

when I looked up モンブランうなぎ on google images it brings up lots of fancy looking foodporn.

It looks like Mont Blanc is the name of a hotel in Nagoya, so it appears that "Mont Blanc Unagi" is eel from the restaurant at the hotel.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Delvio posted:

It looks like Mont Blanc is the name of a hotel in Nagoya, so it appears that "Mont Blanc Unagi" is eel from the restaurant at the hotel.

Oh that's a lot less funny, I was hoping the game would have that kind of humor for very trivial stuff.

Anyways, update:

"It's her marionette club performance tour. They're having tournament finals in Asahigawa starting tomorrow"
"Really? But isn't her light still on?"
There is opaque glass window placed on the door up to face height, where you can see light coming from the room.

"Maybe she just forgot to turn off the light. That girl can be a bit of a birdbrain sometimes."
Certainly even with Chiemi's knocking there was no response from the room.
"I guess I'll just have to give it to her when she comes back"

As Chiemi puts the mascot back in her bag disappointedly, the entrance door opens, and a red coated woman enters. She has light cocoa brown skin and defined facial features. Her long eyelashes and thick eyeshadow gives her eyes emphasis. Her golden highlighted hair has a slight wave to it.

She curves her slim feet and takes off her boots like a model, and says
"Oh my, what are you all doing here? Chiemi dosen't look very steady, is it another break up?"
"Smart one. She went to go drown herself in booze, and had her friend there bring her back"
Mari explains instead.

With an unsurprised "hmm" as she brushes up her soft looking hair. "Do me a favor and don't puke. The cleaning isn't easy, you know."
"Okay, okay. You're always so nagging"
"Shinobu is part of the beauty committee after all."

"Please don't call me that. I don't even clean that much, you guys are all just unnatural. Ah! More importantly, what about the lounge? You guys had a party and left it like that again."
Shinobi all of a sudden gets angry with a bit of shouting in her sentece.

The lounge was bigger than about two rooms, in it are tables and sofas lined up, and has a television. Although it's there so the residents can relax, on the wooden tables; bags of candy, beer bottles, and glasses scattered about carelessly.

"It's cause last night, we threw one hell of a farewell party for Aki's finals competition, that's starting tomorrow in Hokkaido. But the only ones were Aki, me, and Yoshino. Seeing as how they were the only ones here. I'm so jelous of the girls who have boyfriends."
(Yoshino is room 204)

"Oh right, she was happy about winning the Kantou tournament, wasn't she. So the finals are starting tomorrow then. ...And I'm guessing Sayaka wasn't in the party?"
It was in a sympathizing tone which made Tsukasa confused, to which Mari explains.

It seems that the resident Sayaka, is part of the Baldiris Female College's club of marionette, who fought against Lewford Female Collegefor the position of Kantou champion, which is Aki's college
The result was that Aki's college won in the end, and was given a ticket to the finals, however Sayaka's bitterness was nothing small.
(Sayaka is room 202)

Being the only one to not participate in the congratulation party shortly after is one thing, but ten days after that she avoided contact with Aki, and hid away from her even in the great swan. It could have just taken time, but she grew to cheer Aki on eventually and apparently even said to do her best for the both of them.

(Also marionette-ing(?) has competitions?
It better be part of the trick I swear to god)

juicedup fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 22, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

"...Hey wait a minute! If the farewell party was yesterday, then what did you do this entire day?"
Finally noticing the time lag, Shinobu chides her adamantly as her red lips distort.
"Well personally, I've had things to do. Just fugettabout it, It'll be cleaned up by monday. You're like a sister in law, friggin beauty committee."

Twice every week, on Monday and Thursday, the manager lady comes by to clean. At that time, they are given quite a chewing out. She goes on about today's student's are so ill mannered and troubled, and reminisces about the past...so on and so forth.

"You said there were three, but there's like twice that many glasses. Was it too much for you to rinse it out, so you got another cup? You really are lazy."
It seems they had to, because they were drinking both beer and japanese sake, which leads to Shinobu getting angry. Chiemi also was accused of that before, making her tired of hearing it.

Well they're gettin' cleaned up anyway, so who cares. Why doncha be the manager here when you graduate. You're quite suitable"
Mari grumbled with, an annoyed look, Shinobi doesn't raise an eyebrow and says,
"Why don't you do it instead, Mari? Seeing as how you couldn't find a job."

"I'll be going to graduate school year after next, so I'm fine. Although I had to redo this year. But that's only cause the school dosen't like my abilities. If you're going to say something like that then..."

Maybe she's sensitive about that topic that makes her talk fast and rattle off. Shinobu interrupts her with a calm tone, pointing to the end of the hallway.
"Is it alright to leave her there?"

What she was pointing to was a collapsed face down Chiemi. She looked like she was Judo thrown. While the two were arguing she managed to make it in front of the door, but that's likely when her strength left her. The two lost track of what they were doing, even Tsukasa completely forgot. They then run to her.
She points to the lock, saying "open it" in a deathly voice.

There was no choice but to open it, Mari who arrived later helps carry her to bed.
"Man, what a pain. But I'm glad Chiemi has a good underclassman"
"Oh I'm not much. Isn't it harder for you Mari, you're always with her? Sorry for all the commotion today"

As Tsukasa numerously bows her head,
"More importantly, looks like she's at it again"
Upon turning around, she sees Chiemi was suddenly at the balcony. She was looking up at the sky mumbling, "Where is the moon? Where are the stars?" Holding a can of beer in her right hand, that she probably got from the fridge. Her face is blank, maybe only her instincts are demanding beer. If she's going this far, then she's just an animal.

"What are you doing? I can't take my eyes off you for a second. This will seriously kill you, senpai. Please just go to sleep for the night."
Tsukasa panicingly takes the beer. Closes the window and puts her to bed.

"...Well, hang in there."
After thanking Mari who was smiling wryly and leaving,
"Well I'm going too"
Right when Tsukasa grabs her bag, she feels a strong grip on her wrist.
"Please. Stay with me today. I'll get sad if I'm alone and I might cut my wrists..."

It's cause for teary eyes, hearing her in such a sorry state. She probably wouldn't wrist cut, but you can't flatly refuse that appearance of a small animal. Tsukasa very well knows Chiemi's delicate nature of loneliness.
"...Fine. But only until afternoon. Please promise me. I definitely won't go drinking with you tomorrow."

"Okay I get it"
Once again gives an empty promise, then maybe due to peace of mind, she let's go. Without even less than five minutes passing a loud snore can be heard. How nice. But a promise has been made, unable to throw it away, Tsukasa has no choice but to crawl into the Kotatsu.

The death will be in the next update. It's a bit surprising and an odd one

juicedup fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 22, 2017

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

It looks like Chiemi and Tsukasa are alone on the first floor, which seems like a pretty good setup for murder. Although the dorm setting could be good for a multiple homicide, we haven't seen something like that yet.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well. That's...healthy.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Tsukasa: Why do I have to be here a third time...?
Tsukasa: Besides, it's Marunouchi's fault for not catching the culprit!
Marunouchi: ...It's not good to take it out on others, Tsukasa-kun
Marunouchi: And then? Did you figure something out, Yoshikawa-kun?
Yoshikawa: Yeah, well by figure out...
Yoshikawa: The fact that Tsukasa was made to drink away, and slept in her senpai's kotatsu snoring loudly
Tsukasa: Wrong! The one who was snoring was senpai!!
Yoshikawa: ...I wonder
Tsukasa: Jeez! Please look at the case instead!
Yoshikawa: Actually, it's because the case hasn't occurred yet
Yoshikawa: For now, let's sum up what happened in the akasha
(They sum up the characters, how many rooms are in the building, the lounge, how there's 7 people living there, with Tsukasa that's 8 characters)
Marunouchi: I'll be showing up too!
Tsukasa: No one cares if a detective who can't solve a case shows up
Marunouchi: How rude! Tsukasa-kun! Why you!
Yoshikawa: ...Can you fight quietly?
Yoshikawa: I'm reading the rest, alright

Chapter 2
1/22 (Sun) 7 in the morning

On that day, from dusk until morning it was the coldest in the year, after 6 snow began trickling again. When Tsukasa woke up and looked at the time, it was a bit past 7. The room was dim yet bright. Actually instead of waking up, it would be better to say she was woken up. Due to Chiemi's splendid snoring.

Maybe due to it being a light sleep, dizziness was still felt. However, because the snoring is so bothersome, going back to sleep doesn't seem likely. That Chiemi, who was dead drunk rambling gripes was making such a happy looking expression while sleeping, so much that you wouldn't think she was the same person. Who knows what kind of dream she's having, but she looked terribly adorable, so there was no need to forcefully wake her.

"I Just have to hang in there until afternoon. I'm definitely going home today no matter what."
She once again resolves herself, and takes a deep breath, that's when she notices the smell of alcohol teeming in the room. Even though there was no drinking in the room....

She thought it strange for a moment, but the cause was soon realized. The beer can she took away from Chiemi last night fell over and spilled. Because Tsukasa herself was a bit drunk, she forgot to dispose of the contents and left it on top of the kotatsu.

Big mistake.
Tsukasa let's out a sigh as she stands, she grabs a cloth from the sink counter and began cloth mopping* up the carpet. The sink's water was so cold it stung, it was a miserable feeling, like being made to do public service. She tried to open the sliding window for ventalation, but the frame seemed to be frozen over, and didn't want to open.
(*mizubuki is a weird word that I don't understand fully. It means to wipe with a damp cloth, but why would you wipe something wet with another wet cloth?)

When using both hands it somehow opened, and refreshing cool air enters the room. The outside sky is cloudy. The sprinkling snow is fluttering, and the temperature is quite low. Of course the flowing wind takes warmth away with it, but it's a much better situation than an alcohol filled room.

Outside of the balcony, in less the a meter, the wall of a building rises. Because there was so much distance from the gate to the entrance, she thought this site was spacious, even though it's in the heart of the city, but it seems the sides are unexpectedly cramped.
Visions is all obscured by the grayness of the building, it's terrible for getting a view of the sun, however there's also no need to worry about anyone looking in.

After leaving the window open for a bit, maybe due to her sensitivity to the cold, Chiemi stops her snore and with a, "Uhhhn", she pulls the covers up to her face and resumes.

"You know what. I feel like complaining myself. Maybe I'll visit Youko+ tonight"
See as how it's no use getting mopey, Tsukasa takes a shower to refresh.
(I think Youko is some sort of fox spirit?)

After a comfortable shower, she turns on the TV. The 7:00 news was on, it was about a follow up report on a murder and topics like convenience store robbery, Nasty images that you wouldn't want to see in the morning kept continuing

Getting annoyed once again, she freely searches through the fridge, and choses to make sunny side up eggs with toast. There was only one egg left, although taking the labor of these past 2 days into account, then that right should be granted. No there mustn't be any complaining.

"According to the information that we've just received, at around 6:30 this morning in Hokkaido Asahikawa,Lewford Female College Marionette club members's microbus were hit by a landslide. Currently, rescue work has begun, at the moment we do not know the safety of the passengers."

After quickly finishing up cooking she changes the channel, after finishing her meal while watching a variety program, she suddenly flashes back to the news she heard when cooking.
...Lewford College's marionette club isn't that.
She panicingly tries to change the channel, but no station is doing news.

"Senpai!" Tsukasa yells to Chieme, to which she only moans hmmm hmmm and shows no signs of waking up. Having no choice she lifts the sheets off.
"The hell!"
In an instant, a punch is thrown. Tsukasa dodges by a hair, and the sheet is taken from her with that same hand she threw. Is this just her manners, or is she just bad at waking up?

"Just let me sleep a bit more"
"What are you saying? It's an emergency, senpai. It's about the news I heard"
Tsukasa quickly explains the circumstances. Chiemi with ruffled hair listens, after a while, the gears in her head turn and she widens her eyes.

"Seriously? Hold on."
She quickly rises, and takes the phone that was laying on the pillow.
"It won't connect"
Could she have tried to call Aki.
"The news did say that, right?"

She keeps insisting she did, causing her to loose confidence. As if becoming exasperated with Tsukasa, Chiemi smokes a cigarrete. She fixes her bed hair, and after finishing one she turns on her computer, and acceses a news site. After a bit of searching, she eventually hangs her head and mumbles, "It's true."

Tsukasa looks at the monitor, it's an article that has about the same details as the news. In addition, it states that it is quite high that the bus passengers are most likely dead.
"Could it be, Aki was in there"
"I hope not but, maybe..."

Chiemi with little words changes to her pajamas,
"I'm going to go let everyone know."
As she's leaving the room Tsukasa panicingly follows.

They go up the stairs, and they let everyone know starting from room 201. It seems no one had seen the news, They all showed a look of surprise then of worry.
Then when they get to the last room, 206, Tsukasa notices an off smell. A strong oder like when plastic or vinyl is burnt.

"Do you smell something?"
Tsukasa asks, "Now that you mention it" responds Chiemi with a nod.
"Is it from this room?"
Chiemi knocks many times, but no response. Room 206 belongs to Beuty committee Shinobu who was arguing last night.
"I hope it's not a fire. If so she might be unconscious."

Chiemi grabs the knob. It's not locked and easily opens.
That irritating odor covers them like a shroud.
"Shinobu, are you ok? What happened?..."
Sudenlly she stops calling her name. Not just her voice, her whole body freezes like if someone pressed pause on a video.
"What is it, senpai?"

But there was no response. Chiemi stays frozen. Only bad anticipation ran through Tsukasa's head. Looking over Chiemi's shoulder, she looks inside the room.
And then... She sees Shinobu wearing Pajamas laying in a puddle of blood.

The arrangement of rooms in the Great Swan is laid out so the part of the building where water is circulated is back to back of each other, that allows each room to have a dining kitchen area. However there is barrier inside of the room that divides the dorm room from the kitchen and the bedroom, it looks like one long living dining and kitchen room. Right when you enter it's the dining kitchen, the bath, bathroom and dining kitechn are adjoined by wall. In the back of the room on the face is a balcony, to the left of that is a closet.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 22, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
In Chiemi's room, is a stained kotatsu, a boorish cathode tv, a bland steel rack, magazines stacked on the messy carpet. Just above that pigsty which could be mistaken for a man's room is Shinobu's room. Which has; a glass table, a small form LCD tv, with books and small articles arranged equally on an elegant rack, everything is neatly and tidily arranged.

You wouldn't think the rooms both belong to women. Well, Tsukasa is most similar to Chiemi's, so it's not something to cast judgment on.

(I'm really looking forward to finding out who's the narrator of these books, it's possible for it to be Tsukasa herself actually, with the way you can write in Japanese)

Just like with the kitchen, unlike a certain C senpai who has; beer bottles, rice bags, sealed food containers thrown about like a warehouse, this one instead has everything stored away perfectly, to the point where the amount of floor you see makes it seem like a kitchen instead of a dining kitchen.

In that spacious kitchen, Shinobu was collapsed face down, head pointed to the door. A carving knife is ominously lodged into her back.

Shinobu is wearing lemon colored pajamas with naked feet. Her hair is all bunched up as if she had gotten out of the shower. Her face has lost all complexion, that blood which made her complexion is surrounding her creating a small puddle. The blood is all dried, maybe due to it having been a long time since death.

Shinobu's death position is faced down with her right hand stretched out, and her index finger pointed outward. The blood flowed forward, as if declared by that hand. On the floor lining the sink a 3 millimeter thick sheet of polyvinyl is spread out about 30 centimeters wide. It seems to be for water protection, because it was in Chiemi's room aswell, it must be the same for all rooms.

Although there is a lot of blood, the brown sheet stops most of what's around it, only a little bit of blood is spread on top of the sheet.
What is odd, is the fact only left to the palm of Shinobu's hand is the sheet cut off, a 20 centimeter square area. A perfectly clean floor board without even a spec of uncleanliness can be seen.

In front of that square, the blood flow is stopped right at the outside in a straight line, almost like a cookie cutter was used to cut it off. Because of that, the glossiness of the floorboard stands out profusely.

"God drat! I thought it would happen someday, and of all times Aki is in trouble too..."
In an instant, Chiemi has her hands on her head. This is diferent than the time she was told about Aki, Tsukasa notices there is a lack of seriousness. A night and day difference when she saw the body. She spoke in a manner as if she knew about this beforehand.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN, SENPAI?"
"Well, Shinobu was a natural man stealer... Basically, she earned much animosity."
Shinobu did seam like an amorous woman.
"So even you're ex boyfriend Takemoto something aswell?"

To which Chiemi greatly shakes her head at,
"That was different. She took care to keep it a secret from us here. But it happened before. At least once to everyone here, I think."
"Even with that, I can't believe she's fine living here still"

"Shinobu? It's not that she's bold, she doesn't think anything about it. It's not actually stealing, she never says her intentions, that guys are the one's who do it, so she never feels any guilt. She has some sort of charming pheromone, that type of girl

On the contrary, Shinobu never pushed them to it, so it's hard to get mad at her directly. It made me feel like a stalker afterwards and it sucked. So being jealous of in that way makes you feel pitiful. At first I felt like moving away, but then I realized that it's a ridiculous reason to move. It was stupid of me to even bring a guy here in the first place.

Well after that I made it a decision to never introduce boyfriends to her"
She spoke as if getting something off her chest, being confronted in a murder scene, this tiny reaction seems like it's hiding something.

"More importantly we should get some air in here. Smelling this is making my head spin"
It seems the shock of seeing a corpse dulled the sense of smell. When Chiemi pointed the smell out, Tsukasa's nose immediately came back to life. She puts her arm up to her nose as she goes to the back of the room.
(Yes disturb the scene, that's a very smart thing to do)

The window's crescent hinge was not locked, Tsukasa opens it up easily with her other hand. On the balcony there a couple of centimeters of snow piled up. She thought for a moment that maybe the perpetrator broke in from here, but there isn't a single footprint.
The wind with snow mixed in drives away the foul oder. After her head refreshes, Tsukasa realizes something important she forgot.

"More importantly, Senpai. We need to call the police"
"O-Oh right. I'll go call them"
Chiemi noisily runs down the hallway. She passes by two other residents who notice the commotion, they look inside the room. It's Mari and Honna Mitsue who lives in room 201.

No sooner than seeing the body, Mari goes "God drat" with a similar expression to Chiemi's. On the other hand, Mitsue, who's eyes were fixated on the corpse says, "Did you kill her?"
She asks with a low whispering voice.

(As of now I feel like the dying message is a red herring by the culprit)

juicedup fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 22, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Japan really loves this whole "dead guy tried to leave message in own blood" trope, doesn't it?

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

SSNeoman posted:

Japan really loves this whole "dead guy tried to leave message in own blood" trope, doesn't it?

My theory is that the culprit is using the cliche to make us think she wrote a message. Therefore if she didn't write a message, then the murder occurred somewhere else.

And so we continue on with the story hardly learning anything:

Mitsue is an archeology student, she seems to go on Jomon era excavations all the way up to north Kantou. Tsukasa's image of excavators was of someone who squats outside 24/7 with a shovel and a brush, but instead Mitsue's skin is enviably quite white and shiny. She has a peach colored ribbon tied around her silky black hair, she's very lady-like, she doesn't seem fitted for a field of study which requires physical fortitude.

She's the type who never shows shows expression on her face, when she heard the news about Aki earlier she only said, "Oh. Fortune and misfortune really are close by, aren't they" with a low monotone voice. Could it be due to having a fascination with a hobby that spans millenia, that her words mysteriously take on a bigger picture.

That Mitsue, with clear crystal like eyes, stared at her with suspicion, to which Tsukasa denies it flusterdly saying, "You're wrong!" With desperation she unconsciously yells. Because for some reason, she felt that Mitsue held an aura, that if she didn't firmly deny it then it would identify her as the culprit.

"I see. So then, who killed her?"
There's a slight feeling of disappointment in her words.
"I don't know that. Senpai just went to call the police. Aki is in an accident, and now this happens. I don't know what is..."

"Well fine. But if you were the culrit you could shut her up, then kill us all"
"...I guess"
Just like with her first impression, they don't get along well. It's hard to tell weather she's just too calm, or trying to hide her panic.

Tsukasa worriedly looks at Mari, to which makes her go in front of the corpse in a puzzled state she cocks her head.
"I can't believe it actually happened. I knew it would come to this. But it's odd..."
She's beating around the bush.
"What do you mean odd?"

"Hey, do you think Aki really was on that bus?"
Mari asked an absolutely unrelated question.

"What do you mean? Why are you bringing up Aki right now?"
"...It's just that, Shinobu was the kind to steal guys, no she would attract them toward her amazingly. So her being killed doesn't really surprise me"
She says the same things Chiemi told Tsukasa. But it gets different.

"Half a month ago she stole Aki's boyfriend. For Shinobu, she didn't think anything of it like usual, but that was the second time she did that to Aki which made Aki pissed at both of them. Anyways they get to arguing, which leads to Aki grabbing her and yelling 'I'll kill you'. So that's why I thought if Shinobu was killed then it'd have to be Aki..."

Yoshikawa: ...So the case finally occurs
Yoshikawa: It looks like you and your senpai are the first witnesses
Tsukasa: I never though I would see 2 dead bodies in my life...
Yoshikawa: I don't think it's normal to happen on even one
Marunouchi: Have you grasped the details of the case?
Yoshikawa: Yes, for the most part
Yoshikawa: First, Tsukasa hears about the accident of the bus Aki was in
Tsukasa: That's right!
Tsukasa: Then I woke up Senpai, then a punch came out of nowhere, then I barely dodged it!
Tsukasa: I like flew like a bee, like a bee, like a bee!
Yoshikawa: ...You mean butterfly?
Yoshikawa: Putting aside your boxing match, you let the other residents know about Aki's accident.
Yoshikawa: At that time, you notice an odder in front of the door of room 206, when you open it you found the body...
Tsukasa That's right. ...I still remember that scene clearly
Yoshikawa: The one who was killed was...
Yoshikawa: Shiobu
Yoshikawa: The one who arrived a little after you two, isn't it?
Tsukasa: Yes... She was head turning beautiful when she was alive but... not anymore
(Don't corpse-shame!)
Yoshikawa: It seems the victim, Shinobu, courted with men often
Yoshikawa: And the residents had guy trouble among them, and she didn't think anything of it
Tsukasa: Yes...
Tsukasa: But, even if she her hated, she didn't deserve to die like that...
Yoshikawa: The state you saw the victim was...
(The game asks a question on where the knife was)
Yoshikawa: She was laying face down, with a knife lodged to her back, right?
Tsukasa: That's right. She was collapsed with her head pointed toward the door
Yoshikawa: And, there was an odd point about the state of the body
Yoshikawa: The victim's right hand was placed on top of the kitchen sheet, and one part of that sheet was cut off
Marunouchi: Hm, this case is unique isn't it
Yoshikawa: Just what does the sheet that was removed mean...
Yoshikawa: Let's read the rest

juicedup fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
So far this murder is unsolvable, that's the way I see it.
Right now no one has any alibi or any testimonies or evidence that would point to the culprit. ZERO. I refuse to believe that the murder is solvable right now Any evidence that would point to anyone hasn't been found yet, before chapter 2.
Unless Aki spread fake news, then everyone inside that lodge is a suspect. Quote me on this, if it turns out to actually solvable later.

Anyways some more details.

Chapter 3
1/22(Sun)
Afternoon 8:00

"The great swan huh? ... A swan's death."
Marunouchi says trying to sound cool, when he rests in the lounge on the first floor after inspecting the scene. Then Shibata, his subordinate brings him the two first witnesses. When he looks up a familiar face is standing in the doorway.

"You again, is it?"
The police inspector didn't have the strength in him for this again.
"Why do you always get involved in these things? You didn't do actually do it this time, did you?"
"Don't ask me"
Tsukasa, makes a childlike puffy cheek face, and pouts.

Although it is just a rumor, but since long ago in many juristicions, the same person being a first witness to unrelated murders seem to happen quite often. They aren't the culprit, of course. They are neither etectives or reporters who are the type to stick their nose in the investigation. They are just ordinary civillians.

The reason isn't clear, but it seems there are a type of people who easily become the first witness. Those who are suitable for being the first witness, they are classified as Maruhatsu, they are all kept profiled in the central government office and are being researched thoroughly. If the trend can be understood, then inspectors with the same aptitue may be able to discover cases right before, no, much before than they occur.

Before, Marunouchi used to bealive that it was just absurd and just a coincidence. Just because somethig is prevalent dosen't mean it should kept profiled. What's important for investigators is experience and perseverance, he always says and gives a sneer. But since frequently bumping into Tsukasa time and time again, he had no choice but to rething everyithing and bealive that there may actually be predermined witnesses.

On the other hand, it may better to just lure her with some candy, and hand her over to the central office as guinie pig to research on.
However, Marunouchi didn't feel like taking her off the suspect list just yet. Because she was one the very few suspects. The reason for that being that there were no traces of a culprit entering from the outside.

Going by the state of the corpse, the incident had to have happened late at night from 12:00 to 1:00. Snow fell until 11:00 at night. In the morning at 7:00 some did fall, but only a small amount, not enough to hide footprints. Basically meaning that if it was from the outside, then they would have to had left footprints when fleeing the great swan.

On that matter, the only footprints heading into the entrance from the gate were 3 sets of seperate footprints. Normally the newspaper gets delivered up to the front door, but it was a holiday.

The front door was unlocked, but Marunouchi thinks that's a fabrication by the culprit to make it seem like there was an external culprit. But the snowfall ruins that culprit's lock scheme.
But to be clear, Marunouchi made a prompt judgment that Tsukasa isn't the culprit. The reason depends on her personalit.

After the crime, the culprit burned the cut off sheet and rubber gloves they used on the kitchen stove of the scene. The odor that filled that filled the room was quite something. The gloves were the type that they sell in dollar stores, although it seems this was a planned crime, there are hardly is hardly any definitive evidence. After the sheet was cut in small 4s, they diligently burned it.

The reason for burning the sheet, is simple when you take the fact that there was blood on the victim's finger. At first the culprit stabbed Shinobu in the stomach, when she fell, they stab her in the back. The massive blood loss from her stomach injury would incur hemorrhage, but it's possible she tried to leave behind a dying message.

The culprit noticed that and planned to destroy the evidence.
The sheet was only lightly glued to the floor, so it was easy to tear and lift it up, and simply cut three straight lines. There were easy to find scissors on the kitchen counter, when they used luminol on the blade of the scissors it reacted making it possible for it to have been the one they used.

The culprit did burn the gloves and the indicting sheet on the gas burning stove, at that time, the gloves were burned in two sets. The gas stove has two grates, on the left grate they burned one set of the glove, on the other one they burned the square sheet and the other glove.

It's possible that maybe while they were burning one glove, they notice the victim trying to write a name, they put on the reserve glove, then burn it together with the sheet. The reason they used two grates on the stove could be that when they burned the first glove, the burnt remains stuck on to the stove burner weakening the flame.

Basically meaning, that the culprit brought another glove just in case. Or they must have had a cautious and meticulous personality.
Leading to Marunouchi's disappointment, he sees Tsukasa as a careless girl, not fit to be the culprit. This is Marunouchi's type of profiling.

Do you guys have any guesses so far?

juicedup fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 23, 2017

• Locked thread