Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
This has been a really interesting read so far, thank you for putting the effort in!

As to the mystery at hand and the questions involved: Problem 3 and 4 involve the question of why the sheet was cut, and what factor in particular was the origin of the culprti's unusual action - so until we properly describe that I think it wont go further?.

I have a theory: the game talks about the smell of the plastic caused by the stench, and the beer spilling being important facts

I'm wondering if Chiemi worried about some sort of stench and blocked it out via the plastic smell? It's a bit of a reach, but perhaps she was trying to both hide a fake dying message while cutting a section? We have keywords about smoking and alcohol smell, so maybe those smells are relevant?

Given we have found that the blood was evenly blocked by the sheet, implies that, like Delvio mentions above, the evidence hiding happened sometime after the killing.

Another point of confusion:
Near the end of the night before, theres a part where Mari and Tsukasa carry a collapsed Chiemi to bed, and then find that despite being seemingly knocked out drunk, she appears at the balcony with a beer in her hand, and then is telling Tsukasa to stay with her. The timeline is dodgy, but my instinct is that Chiemi somehow murdered Shinobu while pretending to be drunk (specifically at the point mentioned), and then came back later to fix something. I think it has to do with the window and the snow, but on returning to the scene she might have noticed something more necessitating the burning. Given that snow started again at 6, it would be reasonable to think that Shinobu's window was open until that time but then was closed so no snow got in. There's a keyword about wind too, which would add to this..

Marionettes are mentioned, so maybe that was a fake 'dead drunk' Chiemi doll?

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
The only two things I can think about is that the weather changing, and Aki's accident.

The latter happened at 6:30 am which is very close to dawn. Is it possible that the culprit found out about that early and that meant that the dying message could only refer to them (because Aki was assuredly removed from the suspect pool?). If the suspect only found out about that Aki was away from the death...
"Aki-san's death was confirmed" + " after the time of murder, something caused the situation to change"? (or other aki in landslide related keywords)

Maybe something with floor 1, or former boyfriends?

e: There is also Yoshino watching dramas until 5 am...
Maybe try "she thinks she heard something fall down"?

Also try "Strong odor was used to mask another smell" with "smell of alcohol teeming in the room" or "Chiemi smokes a cigarette"( or "an ashtray full off cigarette butts like a pincushion.", maybe combine that and smoking to get a smoker thing?)
can you combine "Why was Chiemi's curtains open' with 'beer was spilled while leaving'?
+ "but it seems no one was in there" + "can see light coming from the room" because something is going on with Aki likely.

The timeline is confusing too. This episode starts at 1:30 on Saturday, and then we don't see time pass until after Chiemi falls asleep sometime(?), with Tsukasa forced to join her- can we actually figure out what time Chiemi fell asleep?

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 25, 2017

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
That explains the epiphany/mystery thing more, I see. Thanks!

juicedup posted:

That's actually a translation error of mine, I missed a 10 in the time.
It's actually 11:30 that the story starts, thanks for pointing it out.

That explains a lot of things, like the 3 footprints and why its so conclusive even though other girls came back that evening.

I'm confused here because there's a set of evidence that seem to be pulling for Chiemi and another set that looks to be pointing towards Mari.

Both have good reasons to write Aki - Shinobu was stabbed in the stomach first and very likely saw her killer, so there's no way she would write Aki unless Aki was really there. And the way she fell on her front and was stabbed in the back, I find a dying message very unlikely.

Chiemi had thought that Aki was there while entering, and given her drunkneness may have continued to think so. Its hard to actually pinpoint the status of what Chiemi does or doesnt know - theres a bunch of dialogue where the other girls talk about Aki's party but I'm not sure if Chiemi is close or aware enough to hear it. So its plausable enough to think she could blame it on Aki, another jilted lover, and only in the morning find out. (i'm not sure if there's a set of keywords that leads to 'Chiemi thought aki was there')

Mari is a bit lesser, but she acts real weird the whole time, and throws shade on Aki, then Sayaka later. She seems to be in a fair spat with Shinobu too. She might have been setting up a 'Aki wasnt on the bus but stayed to kill Shinobu', only to find the news later (esp if she was in cahoots with Yoshino)? Mari might also know that Yoshino was watching an action drama that would mask the murder sounds, having spent some of the evening with her.

Other weird things still lingering:
Whats the deal with the curtains? Is there something involving leaving the room or 'not being able to see the sun' that can be combined in? Or about the wind?
Secondly, is there a question you can get about the gloves being brought in when there were already gloves there? Or stuff about the knife being Shinobu's? Why would the culprit bring gloves but then grab the victim's knife? How would the culprit get the knife in the first place? (Shinobu was in the shower?)

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Kind of a stinker of a mystery. At least the other chapters bothered to actually personify the criminals. Or at least give them some screen time!

I suppose this is closer to a real crime where the result isn't glamorous, the murderer isn't mysterious or bearing dark secrets, and instead of some epiphany leading to the result, its just sorting through details to find the culprit. Doesn't make for a the best read though.

LonelyMudkip posted:

This feels like a case that'll end up being surprisingly straightforward (especially compared to the last one) but it's mired in extraneous details.

Totally nailed it in the end~

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Next mystery sounds interesting, hopefully it has a good resolution to it.

juicedup posted:

So, mystery solved basically.
Yoshikawa explains why it can only Mitsue, and how she mistook Aki being there because of the number of glasses in the lounge and her room light, then Tsukasa and Marunouchi thank him and leave

The light being on in Aki's room being a source of confusion seems like the kind of thing that would be nice to be able to point out, to give more ways to indicate about the killer's mistake. But I guess thats just a problem of these kind of deduction games where you have to follow their particular path to the solution....

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I guess the husband is going to end up dead?

Seems like the wife is initially suspect, but we'll see

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Entering the the victim's apartment without permission when the door isn't locked? Tsukasa is serious about getting that money!

I wonder..seems like there's a big gap in the watch for something to happen. Alternatively, the victim is on the ground floor so I wonder about some back window shenanigans.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
It seems to be the obvious thing that the best reason to present the scene like this is to misdirect, especially with the saw, knife, etc, left unceremonously at the scene.

One thing on my mind to is about the discovery; the fact that Miss Pushy Subscription Collector(who drolly complains about not getting the fee before complaining about the body) found it seems like something the culprit could not expect- so I wonder when they actually had an expectation on who they'd want to discover the body and when. But that might be attributing too much intentionality.

The cut precision is an interesting wrinkle - given the last story I wonder if it will just be a red herring, but I wonder why the culprit cared to be so particular
about that, especially if they were using a hand saw in a tiny room.

Some translation nuance stuff:
So the shower room is one where the whole room one big prefab shower/bath setup? (I looked it up because its not something you really see in north america - would ユニットバス be the right term?)
Also I'm curious about the decapitation/dismembered exchange. Was it some sort of pun?

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I'm liking the writing so far this chapter!

As for the meat of the case so far: Haraguchi has a motive for the swap, because that would give him a chance to see the daughter much more often.

Given that all 3 of them seemed to be in the medical field, it might be possible for him to look at his brother's job. The medical/surgery angle also might explain the precision of the cuts. It might aslo be possible to falisify that shoulder scar too? Depending on how long this had been planned.

If this was a typical mystery game I'd expect some backstory about whatever caused Haraguchi to fail to pass his exams to show up too. But we'll see

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Well that dismemberment discussion sure went far~

Still feels like the purported victim has the best motive for this, especially considering all the poo poo that went down in his life just before the time of the murder.

Looking at the meeting with Kotomi while considering that is quite curious. Having not seen her since the 10th, he calls her just before the time of the incident...for what end? If this was a planned identity swap, it would have had to been already in motion. Best guess I can say is because she would recognize him and say he was there - but wouldnt know his brother maybe?

Aside from that the ex-wife hasn't actually met him in a year, so the amount of people who know him and have seen him recently is very slim. Maybe a chance to use the time gap to make himself look more like his brother.

I'm aslo curious whether or not Haraguchi knows about the surveillance too~ and if theres a hole to be found there if not.

e: The idea of someone taking the limbs/head for..purposes is real weird too

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 26, 2017

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Well, thats certainly a turn. I can't complain though, im glad the writers are at least predicting what the readers are, especially compared to the last chapter.

I honestly think the doll thing is really silly. So I hope it doesnt turn out to be that.

Otherwise, it might be the case that the culprit only actually cared about removing one limb, but removed all of them in order to distract attention from which one was actually used? Either to destroy evidence or for some other purpose (medical?)

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
One confusing thing - the investigation happens on the 30th right? because time of death says " yesterday night at 11 to 12" - I assume this is Jan 29, 11-12 pm? because Tsukasa finds the body on 30th of Janurary, 10 in the morning - so Haraguchi can't die at 11 on the 30th?

I really wonder about the sunburn The watch was from when [I leave for work at 8 in the morning, to when I get back home 8 at night] but somehow our subject got a sunburn - which is the peculiar part. The sunburn probably matches up with the exact length of a clothing item. But...why would the suspect care if the sunburn happened? Maybe because it is January - so I think combining the surfing with a date or it being january/winter might be useful? I dont think Haraguchi could just go to the local beach, so he had to travel. Thinking about that - I think we might be able to reconstruct some events in a timeline with the assumption that Haraguchi got a sunburn -sometime- before Jan 29/30.

We can take the following things into account -
Jan 26th- Ippei starts his watch. Haraguchi meeting up with Morikawa Kotomi. This is the real Haraguchi, because Kotomi would know if it wasn't. Haraguchi is currently pale skinned. Haraguchi then talks about showing Kotomi, implying he plans to surf, and leaves.
Jan 27th - Haraguchi goes to the supermarket buying some non perishable things. His brother visits. Ippei can tell them apart because of the glasses.
Haraguchi probably leaves on his trip today, and gets a sunburn sometime before the 30th.
Jan 28th- Ippei is really sleepy today, so he probably missed something.
Someone resembling Haraguchi is seen. This person is pale. I think this is probably the Kyouji pretending to be his brother.
Jan 29 - Nothing happens on the watch Haraguchi dies from 11pm-Midnight. My inference here is that Haraguchi comes back from his trip after 8pm, has a shower, and is killed by his brother.
Jan 30 - Tsukasa finds the body.

I think that the motive for this is Haraguchi coming back unexpectedly early, finding his brother at his apartment pretending to be him (as is established by the math score thing), possibly getting in a fight, and being killed. Kyouji didn't arrange the watch but probably knows about it due to being in a relationship with Ritsuko. If Haraguchi can be shown to actually have been away during this time, then it makes Kyouji's actions really suspect. Kyouji also probably removed any travel/surfing related things that would imply this.

Also, I think that RedMagus is on the right track with the siblign rivalry. Haraguchi was said to have hit a student and got fired over the math argument. If this is actually Kyouji loving up Haraguchi's life, then there is a huge reason for bad blood,

Ritsuko arranging the watch might be suspicious, but I dont think she would know that Ippei would be a lovely PI. If we look at the initial section, the only reason Ippei gets picked is because he's the last one left. Also, she would have no reason to be concerned with the sunburn, because Haraguchi getting over the custody battle makes the murder point to her even less.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Can you answer the "why did Haraguchi Shinichi make a math mistake?" with Kyouji's poor math scores?

Also -I wonder about we divorced one year ago. It was because of his drinking, frivolity, and domestic abuse and I advised Ritsuko-san to think about getting a divorce.

supposed to see her the following day after he was killed might be relevant somewhere. Same with could it be that Kyouji likes Endou Ritsuko

For Question 3, maybe?
He was sunburned so he took a shower
Left the fridge empty because he would be away for a while

Still out on question 4 though. The answer to What about : What was the actual reason that Endou Ritsuko requested the investigation? - might be relevant though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I had wondered why the 29th was basically skipped over - and so we have a huge omission there on whatever happened. At least my timeline was mostly right, except Ippei was the one to kill him on the evening he came back.

I had briefly entertained the thought of Ippei being it but didn't think the game would go for it.

These last two stories have been signposted really awkwardly I feel like. I guess it is sort of real, like the last one, in that you really have to sort the logic out - its still not fun.

• Locked thread