Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

This one seems pretty simple. One of the people who went to the bathroom (probably Ooda) replaces the open lock with his own lock. After the group ends, Miyamoto locks up normally. The culprit later returns and unlocks his lock, steals the figure, and restores the original lock to its rightful place.
There might be a few more complications, but that seems like the simplest solution. I guess the culprit would also have needed to hide his lock somewhere nearby before the session so it wouldn't be found when he was searched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Looks like I was right. Because they get searched when they leave to go to the bathroom, the culprit can't have their lock on them when they enter the room.

I'm guessing the "other circumstances" bit refers to the order in which they entered the room, because I guess that's the only other time the lock could've been switched? But because Negishi was last in line (and he can't be the culprit because he didn't know about the lock, I think? At least, I think that's what the game's going for) then the lock couldn't have been switched as they were entering.

Going by narrative convention the culprit is probably Ooda because it's never the assistant character.

Thanks for the LP, by the way. I really enjoy this kind of mystery game, but never actually get the chance to play them. Heck, I can hardly ever find a decent mystery game.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Regarding the rigor mortis thing, I think all that means is that he's been dead for at least 2 days, which isn't super relevant if we're suspecting the people who were on the trip (which of course we are, because anything else is too simple). It's possible there is something going on there to obfuscate the time of death. Like, maybe he was dead before they left and she left her air con on blast. Actually, I could be wrong about this, but I think 2-4 days means that he could've been killed on the morning that they left for the trip, but I'm not sure if Tsukasa would've seen the body if that were the case.

The lack of apparent murder weapon is interesting. As is the body's position under the lintel. Maybe Ryouko rigged a Home Alone style trap and something fell off of the lintel and smashed his brains out. That would explain why she "forgot" to lock the door when she was leaving.

The person in the red car is probably the ex. I'm guessing they found the body and decided to flee the scene in the most suspicious way possible. Heck, maybe they took the murder weapon for some reason. They could be an accomplice, or they could be an unwitting pawn who was only hounding Ryouko cause he wanted his precious collectors item Panda-Bear-Full-of-Rocks back, and didn't mind that it was a little covered in blood and brain matter

Edit:
^^^I think I might know what you're getting at if it relates to the body changing positions at some point. If I'm wrong, then never mind, just ignore me. But if the body did change positions at some point post mortem, then you should be able to tell due to lividity (the way the blood settles in the body after death. Although it's always hard to tell if a story is going to take that kind of thing into account.

LonelyMudkip fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 7, 2017

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Ok, I've put together a very rough timeline cause all the dates and stuff were confusing me

Timeline posted:

Dec 9
----------------
7:00 - Katsumi finishes shift at work
8:00 - Katsumi visits Ryouko
<12:00 - Katsumi leaves Ryouko's apartment (according to Ryouko)

Dec 10
9:00am - Tetsuo picks up Tsukasa
9:20am - Tetsuo and Tsukasa pick up Ryouko, head straight to airport

Dec 11
2:00am - loud sound heard by neighbour, something hitting wall
??? - Katsumi doesn't show up at work
----------------

Dec 12
4:00pm - Mailman rings doorbell, no answer. Does not know if door was locked

Dec 13
~3:50pm - Kazumi visits Ryouko's apartment, claims door was locked
4:00pm - Tetsuo, Tsukasa and Ryouko arrive at apartment, discover body

The lines indicate the "2-4 days" window of time that Katsumi could've been killed in. I could be mistaken about some things, but I think it's pretty much accurate. And looking at it now, my Ryouko theory still works.
I think the loud thud the neighbour heard may not have been the actual murder. I think it may have been the rigor mortis wearing off :ssh: (speculation spoilered out of courtesy, I may be super wrong)

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Marounochi is a terrible cop. Obviously Tsukasa is innocent, she's the assistant character!

I was thinking that Kazumi was lying about the door being locked, but now I'm beginning to think that maybe Ryouko is the liar. Like, maybe she fussed around with the doorknob and acted confused when they got back from the trip, but actually unlocked it as she was doing that and just said it wasn't locked. And maybe she did that because she didn't want it to look like a locked room mystery, she wanted it to look like someone broke in and murdered Katsumi while she was overseas, because she actually killed him before they left.

That might be reaching a bit, though.

Edit:
A much simpler explanation is that Kazumi found the door unlocked, saw the corpse, freaked out and ran cause she knew she'd be a suspect, and lied about the door being locked.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Well, I was waiting for someone else to chip in cause I still don't really get how this game works, but I guess not. Like, I think I know what happened, but I don't know how the game wants me to express that.

Anyway, the statements that stand out to me as suspicious are:

It goes clatter clatter many times and she tilts her head in confusion
The door wasn't locked
Insists the door was locked

Obviously cause of the contradiction

The room was dark the whole time
He says he didn't hear a single thing the whole time

Because that seems pretty darn important, and also, y'know, the title of the chapter

Fixed shelves built on top of the lintel on both sides
After two days stiffness completely dissipates
He fell down limp
Something heavy hit the wall, which made a loud sound

Because that pretty much sums up my entire theory

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Well, considering I'm a plebeian who only speaks english, I think you're doing a great job.

And poo poo, I was way closer than I thought I'd be. I'm not sure what could combine with the shelves, maybe after death in two or three hours it begins to harden (etc), to explain where the body was before it fell? From what I understand, the body was arranged on the two shelves on either side of the lintel while stiff from rigor mortis, so when the body relaxed it fell through the gap between the shelves. This means it would've been out of Tsukasa's line of sight when she came to get Ryouko, which is why Ryouko told her to stay by the entrance.

Geez, if I'm right about this then Ryouko must be frigging jacked to lift her dead boyfriend's rigid body up onto a pair of shelves above her head. When I first thought of this theory I figured he was propped upright against the wall or something, but considering how the body is arranged this makes more sense. I guess it did say he was pretty slender, but that's still drat impressive.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

So far this is looking more like the set up for a slasher movie than a murder mystery, but that's probably my western sensibilities talking.

And man, if this game was an anime I would watch the heck out of it. It's kind of like Case Closed meets Death Parade

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

It looks like Chiemi and Tsukasa are alone on the first floor, which seems like a pretty good setup for murder. Although the dorm setting could be good for a multiple homicide, we haven't seen something like that yet.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

^That's more or less what I was thinking, too. Plus, we really don't know enough about the other girls in the dorm to reasonably suspect any of them.

I don't think the dying message was necessarily faked, because what purpose would that serve if the killer was going to destroy it anyway? I think it's probably just going to end up being unnecessary for solving the case, which makes it a red herring in the narrative sense, I guess

The bus accident is an odd detail, but the fact that the characters bring up the idea that Aki might not have been on the bus makes me even less suspicious of her. Maybe the idea that Chiemi didn't know she was away will somehow be relevant? I'm about 50/50 on the bus accident being either another red herring or the one vital piece that unlocks the entire mystery

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Yeah, this one has me stumped. I'm currently suspecting Chiemi, but that's more due to narrative convention than any actual evidence.

This feels like a case that'll end up being surprisingly straightforward (especially compared to the last one) but it's mired in extraneous details.

Edit:

juicedup posted:

(I don't know what the narrator is meaning by "Order of the room" The japanese word is seizen 整然 which means orderly, regular, systematic)

I think by this he just means Tsukasa hasn't contaminated/messed up/tampered with the crime scene by opening the window. I'm sure there's a better word for it, but can't think of it off the top of my head.

LonelyMudkip fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Woah I'm away for a week and you finish the case. I agree that this one was pretty underwhelming. To be honest I think the main obstacle I had with figuring this one out is that it was just really really dull. The next one sounds interesting though! I'll be looking forward to it and definitely not just because I love dismemberment

• Locked thread