Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

pfizerman posted:

Can you spool this out a little for me - I tried to read the belfast agreement with this in mind and couldn't find what specifically violated it

the british government is meant to be a neutral arbitrator, which it can't be if the government is depending on one of the parties of the agreement to stay in power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
may lies in bed at night, she can't sleep. the guilt keeps her awake. she still remembers the voice screaming at her - the farmer, his lovely wheat fields. she must live with this forever, she can never take back what happened that day

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Aurubin posted:

Out of curiosity, I can't really think of an Obama campaign or WH staff who went on to greater or lateral political success. The Chapo House guys?

well there's not really anywhere else to go from re-electing a president of the united states

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Kurtofan posted:

i'm starting to think obama only got reelected through sheer luck

axelrod was the guy who actually ran both obama campaigns, so

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Peel posted:

whenever people talk after an election about how everything about the (perceived) winners did was good and everything the (percieved) losers did was bad i remind myself that if comey hadn't sent that letter last year clinton would likely have won and there'd be a bunch of articles about how amazing her 31st century hypercampaign was and how it left trump's bunglers no chance despite his 'surprisingly good' performance

now a crinkly old social democrat and a fresh-faced centrist dipshit did well in elections within a week of each other so nobody will know what to think until another election result comes along to demonstrate the secret truth of political campaigns. this time it will be *rolls dice* making sure your slogans alliterate

this is unfair to people who think seriously about elections, but i'm not convinced it's unfair to campaign professionals

there was a pretty good quote by axelrod in today's FT piece about messina:

quote:

“Personalities aren’t that important,” Mr Axelrod said. “My operant theory about politics is you’re never as smart as you look when you’re winning and you’re never as dumb as you look when you’re losing.”

basically true

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

babypolis posted:

how popular is corbyn relative to other politicians? like is a +0 favorable considered good?

compared to where he was before corbyn is now jesus christ

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

logikv9 posted:

Your island-superiority has clearly gotten to your heads, time to fill in the English channel

they're suffering from a classic case of island madness

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Stairmaster posted:

Don't need global financing if you foresake capitalism hth

even if they somehow forsake capitalism, they presumably still need money to buy things like food and medicine from the outside world.

unless, of course, they follow the eternal doctrine of juche.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/gordonrayner/status/1111640707540881408

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

twoday posted:

So no deal is confirmed?

This truly is Brexit day

at this point it's probably either general election + european elections + long delay or no deal

probably a general election unless may is truly stubborn, or the eu says they're sick of the uk's poo poo

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Is there a possibility that a general election happens, Tories win, May is PM again and everyone nukes the UK out of spite.

That seems, well not ideal, but fitting.

how is this not ideal?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
general election, somehow nicola sturgeon is now prime minister

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
a second referendum, but the options are "brexit deal, remain, or something else" and something else wins

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

best possible outcome:
1) new GE
2) parties win seats in exactly the same ratio as last time, returning a near-identical parliament

a landslide win for the newly-formed "indecision party"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
call the ge may

do it