Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jBrereton posted:

If you replaced "Britain" with "Scotland", the last two would definitely apply to a lot of the nationalists there.

Oh hey it's the SNP is basically the BNP but Scottish opinion that pops up every time English peeps discuss Scotland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

and i must meme posted:

this is pretty depressing

24% ethnic nationalists lol

Within living memory we ran an empire spanning half the world based explicitly on white supremacists and killed a few million people.

Unlike the Germans we never had to deal with it and we don't teach it in schools whatsoever, so here we are.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Everyone except the conservatives gets destroyed at the local elections confirming our descent into a third rate shithole run by an incompetent authoritarian Christian.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

labour 2017: only jezza can stop the snp

labour 2018: we had to give northumberland to Queen Nicola I the First so she'd let us nationalize the railways

Lmao

Corbs can't win the press is just trying to get us excited so we're crushed harder when he loses

Hope is a lie let's all just vote corbyn and keep a stiff upper lip as may destroys this bad country

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

If only May was PM with an increased majority this would have never happened.

Respects etc to the families but I'm inured to terrorist attacks after the last 16 years of them.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I missed the free press argument but the BBC literally has it's executives hand picked by the government lol

When the Tories first got in they even changed all it's logos and website to be Tory blue before deciding that was a little on the nose I guess

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

CORB

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Corbyn owns, hes just some old guy who makes jam and doesnt even eat it and hes driving the whole political establishment totally spare

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

anime was right posted:

corbyn seems like a dude that could announce to the world "cancer is a bad disease" and somehow there would be universal backlash against him from every other political party and the media wondering why he's not condemning heart disease as well and also many people survive cancer so it cant be that terrible and also who will think of all the pharmaceutical companies who make money off cancer??

He just made a speech saying "the war on terror probably isn't reducing terror attacks" and the papers were outraged.
What was most funny was seeing the one or two sympathetic writers agreeing with him but only via quoting their own opinion pieces.

The loving news itself can only believe something if it has been in the news before lol.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Wait guys! I know corbyn says water good so water bad, but I found this 2004 speech by Tony Blair that says water good!

What does it mean?? *Furrows brow reporterly*

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jose posted:

its bad but it would be really nice if tory's being interviewed would have people bring up the fact nothing in their manifesto is even costed

The gov doesn't really have to cost anything, public investment pays for itself

Costing is only used to make labour look like poo poo because as everyone knows they're bad at money whereas the tories are

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Baloogan posted:

how the gently caress does may justify hiding like this?

Incy posted:

She is thinking very hard about brsxit and C:orb: should be too

Its literally this

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Did Jon just drink a hot mug full of dog embyros?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Just so the yanks in this thread don't have a false view of whats going to happen on election day: we are still going to vote in the totally awful absent lady and probably with an increased majority.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jose posted:

this election has been a proper roller coaster

It has been much more enjoyable than I thought, when it was first called I was genuinely devastated at the idea I'd have to pay attention to UK politics again.

I do think its gonna have a tragic ending but mainly because:

A) If i have hope I will be completely distraught on election day when the tories return a majority of 100 MPs despite all evidence to the contrary
and
B) Shock turnarounds against the polls only benefit evil, never good.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Baloogan posted:

corbyn would be the most hilarious world leader, start off with bernie and remove his charisma and replace it with jam

They both have equal amounts of low charisma IMO

they both sound like old teachers banging on at you but Sanders sounds like a cartoon walrus which gives him the edge

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

babypolis posted:

well he certainly will never learn the concept from you

Holy poo poo OUCH

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

tekz posted:

Furthermore, many British voters are unaware of Corbyn's anti-Semitic associations. Others know but don't care. Those on the hard-Left, such as union activists and academics, include knee-jerk opponents of the nation-state of the Jewish people and supporters of academic and cultural boycotts of Israel. Many of these favor trade and engagement with such egregious human-rights violators as Iran, Cuba, China, Russia, Belarus and Venezuela. Singling out Israel — the Middle East's only democracy, with one of the world's best human-rights records, rule of law and concern for enemy civilians — for boycotts itself is a form of anti-Semitism

well i'm sold, thanks alan dershowitz. where do i go to vote for corbyn

:eyepop:

Wow its always strange to see people cross the line from half-truths to outright porkies

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

yeah, there's no way that netanyahu's high score can compare to hitler's or stalin's

anyway hello thread I am a dumb american who wandered in basically by mistake. my understanding is that may is hilariously incompetent while corbyn is basically okay, but may is gonna win anyway because the powers that be in labor labour are still extremely offended that corbyn has ideas like "funding the NHS is good" and "refusing to support the murder of civilians, even if they're brown." is this basically correct

its sort of internal labour infighting but also the media and generally the whole "establishment" bought into the whole Randian free market myths extremely hard while simultaneously managing to isolate themselves from the consequences. Both parties, too to the extent that minor things like public investment and even the existence of the NHS istself have become 1970s communism.

there is a gradual stirring because its now becoming so blatantly obvious that slash and sell governments harm the country that even the media and some MPs are becoming concerned but we have a long tradition of corrupt power in the UK so there is still a LOT of resistance from the handful of billionaires that control public discourse and their eager/dumb-as-pigshit lackeys.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I feel like America has a long history of religious fanatics or bombastic scam artists leading the public astray but the UK has a long history of a deeply entrenched shady perverts literally lording it over the peasantry and its only a generation out of living memory that "kill the poor people because they're worth less" wasn't officialy part of the political spectrum.

once we pissed away our white supremacist empire we just became Grima Wormtongue: The Country. the slimey moist man from the movies i dont remember what he was like in the books

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

FPTP means the polls dont matter and the Tories will get a majority either way.

Stop psyching yourselves up for Corbyn to do well, I don't know if you remember 2015 but the entirety of England always votes Tory.

I think its even pretty likely May gets a landslide still just because this country is intensely poo poo

The multiple terror attacks May has let in are just going to give her more points, most people will have heard Jezza is a terrorist at this point. The idea that loads of people are going to change their minds in just a couple days because Jeremy gives some salient points that the news doesn't report on is blind faith.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Rich as gently caress people who pretend to beleive their own propaganda deserve to be sealed in a plastic bag and karate chopped to death.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The sun says it all! The man lives inside a bin!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Let's not get into dangerous realities like "the Conservatives are quite antisemitic as a whole" when we could just pretend Chakrabati was given a peerage for exonerating Jeremy Corbyn.

Well what else did she get a peerage for?

Oh a lifetime of hard graft in service of the people of Britain, making her one of the most worthy additions to the Lords in modern memory...

Chakrabati sounds a bit Muslim though and you know what those people think about the Jews...

Man that was a good row, the antisemitism row at the same time the prime minister accused Khan of being a terrorist in the house of Commons cause hes Muslim.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

deadgoon posted:

he's of catholic scottish/irish heritage and that's the only reason he hates the DUP, if it was because they were crazy evil dumb conservative theocrats he would obiously hate the GOP as well

Lol I love that north Americans are way more into their "heritage" than basically anyone else as long as it's not American or Canadian heritage.

Loogs right about Cromwell but also doesn't seem to have known about Protestants?
I'm not religious but Protestants are way better than dudes who kowtow to the dude living in a golden microstate of pedophiles.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It took me about a minute of frowning to figure out he means the Tories were being tough but honest. I thought he meant that it was the first time they'd been straight up "nothing for you, corporate tax cuts, if your dad gets dementia we're nicking his house".

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

PM bojo is never going to happen unless they just anoint him and he would be destroyed by corbyn. His personal popularity has been on a downward slope basically his whole career and nosedived after he lied about brexit repeatedly to everyone's faces.

Only baloogan likes him because he's a Canadian so roughly 10 years behind the British in terms of political opinions.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Rhukatah posted:

The Daily Mail is funnier than The Onion.

There's a UK onion site called the Daily Mash and I went to it once and the URL had autocorrected to the daily mail instead and I thought they'd just updated the look of the site and gone for a different style of satire.
It took me about 5 mins of browsing around and laughing at the absurdist articles before I realised.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Its nice to see some normal humans making it into the House, its always sad though when the camera pans back and absolutely gently caress all people bothered to turn up.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40434741‬

no Grendell death toll expected this year

Its funny, I've completely U-turned on this being a cover up, it blatantly loving is at this point.

Every now and then the incompetence of the UK establishment takes my breath away. If they'd have talked to the residents and got them resettled sharpish and fired some scapegoats this would all simmer down. Instead they're just runnning the same tired, "We don't give a poo poo, paups," procedure everyone is sick of by now.
I guess the Tories are hoping it blows over after a 10 year inquiry or that it all becomes May's fault.

Its very fun to see the Tory invulnerable armour come off all at once and now everything they do is a collosal fuckup. The one thing the Tories are good at is playing politics and they seem to have forgotten how.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I think it's that their flailing morons who don't know how to do anything really.

I think it is this combined with the fact the British standard protocols for this stuff is to cover it up and protect everyone important until 20 years have past. We have never had aspirations of transparency ever or even thought it was valued.
They're doing what they are meant to be doing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

you should feel jealous cuz it's never going to happen in america, where our system is completely broken and unaccountable

The UK system is just the American one except without any proper ideals like freedom of speech or transparency since our citizens are subjects of the crown and only a hundred years ago killing poor people was literally government policy.

America needs to sack up, you're basically where we were in 2005 except your Gordon Brown lost to a deranged Nazi chimpanzee rather than a Teflon pigfucker.
They're gonna bring in American Ed Miliband who will be a corporate shill while unconvincingly talking Bernie stuff and lose again in 2020. But then in 2025 when the bluedogs have been shattered you can primary an actual leftist.
The primary system actually sorta benefits leftists since if there's a shock upset and a lefty gets it there isn't enough time for the democratic party to character assassinate him since they've gotta run an election at this point (lol jk they will try anyway)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tory mps are vermin lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

jBrereton posted:

oval office 👏 Is 👏 Not 👏 A 👏 Gendered 👏 Insult 👏 Here 👏 In 👏 The 👏 Same 👏 Way 👏 As 👏 Its 👏 Kutwijf-Esque 👏 American 👏 Meaning 👏 But 👏 It 👏 Is 👏 Still 👏 About 👏 The 👏 Worst 👏 Word 👏 You 👏 Can 👏 Use 👏 So 👏 People 👏 Tend 👏 To 👏 Avoid 👏 It

e: Except 👏 If 👏 They 👏 Are 👏 Trying 👏 To 👏 Shock 👏 Or 👏 Show 👏 What 👏 Cool 👏 Transgressive 👏 And 👏 Forthright 👏 Opinion-Havers 👏 They 👏 Are

or if you live in the north, you silly oval office :)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

up noorf oval office is just a racier/informal way of saying person, saying "don't put that there where anycunt could tread on it!" is like saying "i need to piss" instead of "i need to use the toilet"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Do you think he knows? Like do his handlers or whatever tell him? It seems being less regarded than Trump would be particularly hurtful to Blair.

It's blatantly obvious he went mad after Iraq because if Iraq was as bad as everyone but him admits he is going to hell for sure and he's a pretty strong believer, so he's had to fool himself into thinking at least history will vindicate him.

What a loving dogs oval office.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Lot of people assumed Kinnock would win in 92 and he didn't. I'd rather "run up the score" than not have a Labour government at all.

I'd also blame the death of the activist base in the 1990s on the relatively recent death of the USSR and inevitable left-wing soul searching after that, more than Tony Blair.

Yes but you are Tony Blair.

Confirm/deny?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tokamak posted:

Shut up Pissflaps

Flaps is just super annoying and you wouldnt want to invite him to a party, flaps v2 up there is a genuinely shite person that everyone with human blood running in their veins should probably ignore.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

if vince cable becomes libdem leader ill laff muself to death

he should be the uk jeb not ed balls, big man cable is like Jeb! with attitude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

lmao they did it big vinny C is leader

for the yanks... how to explain

in 2010 cable was pretty well respected for standing up to murdoch
he got appointed business minister under the coalition to stop the tories allowing murdoch up the countries tender butthole

he got kicked out like 10 secs later after murdoch used a young woman to sting him in the laziest most predictable sting ever by getting him to brag on camera about how great he is and how much hes gonna stop murdoch,
somehow opposiyion to murdoch is a sackable offense but stinging MPs to get them out of your way isnt for s newspaper man.

hes one of those politicians who used to have a good rep but pissed it all away as soon as he got the chance, nobody has told him that he has no reputation left though so we get to watch as he realises... how will he react?
my guess is follow his predecessor and blame ageism