Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41278545

quote:

"It happened just as we were pulling up to the Tube station so everyone just sort of piled out of the Tube and there was a distinct smell of burning," he said.

"I certainly saw some burning injuries," he said, but added that "everyone behaved in the right manner as such, everyone got off as quickly as they can and you know supported everyone".

Emma, who was at Parsons Green station, said: "We were running down the stairs like... it felt like for our lives...

"And I went down the stairs and after a while people were just piling on top of each other, because people were falling over trying to run so quickly.

"And there were two ladies underneath me and a little boy to my right, his head had been smacked into the concrete."

BBC London presenter Riz Lateef, who was at Parsons Green on her way in to work, said: "There was panic as people rushed from the train, hearing what appeared to be an explosion"

"People were left with cuts and grazes from trying to flee the scene. There was lots of panic."

if more people get injured from the evacuation than from the bomb, are the Londoners the real terrorists???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

seen in UKMT
US rounds on Britain over food quotas as post-Brexit trade woes deepen

quote:

In a fast-developing second trade spat, Washington has teamed up with Brazil, Argentina, Canada, New Zealand, Uruguay and Thailand to reject Britain’s proposed import arrangements for crucial agricultural goods such as meat, sugar and grains after Brexit. The fact that the U.K.’s opponents include the U.S., Canada and New Zealand is a significant setback because Britain is trying to style its former colonies as natural strategic and commercial allies after it has quit the EU.

lol

I met a few Leavers at the time saying that we'd start basically a new EU of Commonwealth countries & the US and it's good to see them be exceedingly owned by real life (even if it means I and everyone else here starves to death)

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Itzena posted:

This is the best blog post in this history of all things. So very :stoked: for the collapse of society in Britain!

quote:

Eventually things will settle down and we will get used to the new order of things. My gut instinct tells me that culturally it will be a vast improvement on the status quo. There will be more reasons to cooperate and more need to congregate. I expect to see a cultural revolution where young people actually start doing surprising and reckless things again rather than becoming tedious hipsters drinking energy drinks in pop-up cereal bar book shops or whatever it is they do these days. We'll be back to the days when students had to be frugal and from their resourcefulness manage to produce interesting things and events.

I'm of the view that in recent years people have become increasingly spoiled and self-indulgent, inventing psychological problems for themselves in the absence of any real challenges or imperatives to grow as people. I have always primarily thought Brexit would be a reboot on British politics and culture. In a lot of ways it will bring back much of what is missing. A little austerity might very well make us less frivolous.

these paragraphs are so illuminating about this loon

he hasn't met a young person since 2002 but read some newspaper articles in 2015 and completely forgot that many young people did a surprising and reckless riot in 2011 (but everyone seems to have forgotten that) amoung other stuff seen as reckless, such as massively backing Corbyn. he doesn't know many students are still poor as poo poo (if they're not from money) and are constantly scalped by landlords and nowadays their universities too. for him, people these days aren't poor enough and that's why we have so many social problems but new, ultra-austerity and economic decline will correct our moral unfitness and propel Great Britain into the next stage of our Bildungsroman and allow a true Volksgemeinschaft to emerge from the ashes.

jesus

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

jBrereton posted:

that's all English people, op

it's because Britian has no natural sources of melanin and had to import all of its supply from the Empire

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Pound_Coin posted:

He's an intellectually dishonest alcoholic who's a pretty right wing blarite and considers anything to the left of that to be LENINISM or some poo poo, in short he's a loving bitter idiot who can't take not being in the blairite nexus of power anymore.

He said "if one more person blames neo-libralism i'm going to take up drinking again"

oh and his opening volley was to call all corbyn voters "loving fools" for daring so he's fair game for ad hominems if you feel that way inclined. (I do, he's a loving oval office~)

it's a shame because I remember 'Pretty Straight Guys', an old book he wrote about problems in New Labour with some fun stuff on Blair & Cherie's new-age tendencies and Blair's general spinelessness against the press, being fine

then either he lost his mind or I just became more politically savvy

been a while since I've looked at it though, the cover has aged amazingly poorly

EDIT: GISing that cover led me to this picture of the guy, which is much, much worse

Stabbatical has issued a correction as of 00:53 on Dec 10, 2017