Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

how did you guys run out of smart and competent leftists
There were never very many (same goes for smart and competent members of the right wing fwiw).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Concerned Citizen posted:

i continued to insist as my empire crumbled into dust
The Falklands was the Argentine equivalent of the Mexican American war mate it was not a Just act.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
not really entirely sure why they didn't fire trident at the argentine naval yards but hey we won without it anyway

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Curse our national weakness, The Jezebel May.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It turns out that Corbyn, and so the nation's, last best hope is crotch-stuffing.

jBrereton has issued a correction as of 21:01 on May 13, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

lorn Wayne posted:

pretty effective system for bosses. aside from the 'horrific atrocities' part that is.

maybe a different form of closet skeleton, pedoing seems a step too far.
The leader of the Red Hand Commando (a unionist terrorist group in NI) was a known paedophile who British intelligence sent to orphanages as leverage.

A really bad bunch!!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
if you think English politics is hosed up try Northern Ireland lol

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

I thought the plan was to shore up CON support going into brexit negotiations
The level of public support for the negotiating team is completely irrelevant and in any case it should be a cross-party thing seeing as how it's incredibly important to get right.

The cynical reason for this is so that if/when the whole affair is a massive disaster they have a couple of years to get things right before the next election.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It was the Sun pointing out that he hates Are Lads and wanted FLOSY to win.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It was more than 25 I think and yes it was due to plane crashes.

Keep in mind that there were thousands and thousands of flights, often at night, and in bad weather, and there was nothing like the same grade of ILS etc. as nowadays.

jBrereton has issued a correction as of 17:34 on May 14, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fallen Hamprince posted:

now McDonnell, i can totally see him stopping an interview to give a longwinded rant about how flying food to west berlin was a vile form of neoimperialism and have you ever noticed how little most britains appreciate the revolutionary struggle of the provisional ira?
Off-colour half-jokes are his superpower, true.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"We never had these problems at British Leyland" claims Corbyn wrt NHS hacks.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

read Perdido Street Station by China Milville
its not soviety but it is steampunk britian seen through a marxist lens
China Miéville owns and I am always slightly jealous of writers with a secondary linguistic background who are really good at English too (see his Avanc monster which is like obvious if you speak French but not so much otherwise).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

deadgoon posted:

what if the person in charge of the money, is held accountable by the people
So long as you live in Runnymede and Weybridge, he's.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

rudatron posted:

It's not clear exactly how many refugees climate crises are going to create. But I don't even think it's necessarily the introduction of more people that's the problem, it's the total failure to integrate the immigrants into the already existing culture & society.

Essentially, all the people pushing hard on the 'multicultural' ideal of, everyone acting & becoming tolerant of new people showing up, who you have nothing in common with, have had their theory blown out of the loving water. The hasn't been a growing acceptance, there's been a massive counter-reaction, and it's bringing with it the rise of far-right politics in general.
It isn't quite as simple as that.

The reason people are hosed off is that the communities that are the worst equipped to handle the introduction of a bunch of new people, especially other poor people, are the places where new refugees and immigrants are making their homes, because the housing is so cheap relative to the rest of the UK. You can get a terraced house in say Doncaster for like fifty grand. 20 minutes down the train line in York you're looking at five, six, times that.

But if you're stuck there because the wages aren't good enough to move out of or you've got family that can't or won't move, what you see is the only people with any energy and talent loving off asap and them being replaced with immigrants, so you basically get increasingly low-achievement white locals sharing space with like second or third generation pakistani civil war refugees, Yugoslav war refugees, gypsies who've been forced off the road, and then Eastern european guys who are nothing like the rest of the people in terms of aims, but get a house for them and a few colleagues because in relative terms it's very cheap.

And because it's the north of England, there is absolutely gently caress all being built that isn't supposed to directly benefit London, and large parts of the local government is made up of paradropped southerners because Labour doesn't respect them. To Labour, those people are The Demographics, as Democrats would say about immigrants they don't respect, have an understanding of, or do very much for, other than say their opponents are worse for them.

And all that combined has made the whole region very hostile to neoliberal politics which has hollowed out their communities, which is why they went for Brexit in a big way.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Capitalism simply isn't equipped to handle an influx of immigrants, except in cases where land is cheap and abundant like the United States.
If you think the problem is that land isn't easily available then you need to take your mind out of the Kolkhoz.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

America was so big that entire immigrant communities could settle miles away from the Anglo snobs and never have to interact with each other. Meanwhile today, immigrants compete with the native poor for subsidized housing, because the political climate always favors the interests of land developers over society.
Joke or incredibly ignorant opinion?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

rudatron posted:

Okay, but the migrant issue isn't being framed as a 'lack of affordable housing' issue, it's 'they're competing with natives for limited resources so stop them coming here'. The obvious answer to a housing crisis is to just build more affordable public housing, and the conservatives are the party least likely to do that. But they're the ones gaining.

I stand by it being an integration issue, and a clear demonstration that the multicultural ideal is essentially too utopian - its unreasonable to expect distinct communities to not start competing over limited resources, instead of managing it cooperatively, because tribalism is a hell of a drug.
It isn't an issue about there being space or resources, the issue is that these communities are not respected at all, which is why they are having people dumped on them, from incredibly bad + corrupt politicians to refugees. This then creates a situation where everyone wants to get out, which is why housing is more or less free if you want to have a go, which means migrant labour comes to those areas to make it even more alienating to the people living there.

Again, that isn't a failing of multiculturalism; multiculturalism is what you get in London and other well developed areas as well as poorer areas, the issue is that there isn't any money, and those places have progressively been designated as toxic areas to dump people you don't respect in, much like the very anti-multicultural suburbs of France which were positively designed to create ghettoised communities.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

rudatron posted:

You say 'its not an issue of resources', but later say there's not enough money. You say it's not multiculturalism that's the problem, but then immediately say that migrant labor showing up, is making the area alienating to the people already there. Isn't the fact that that alienation is being felt, and driving anti-migrant politics/brexit, itself proof of that failure? You keep contradicting yourself.
The reason those communities are failing is not down to there being a lack of funding in the government pot. The problem is certain places have been designated as places to fail, repeatedly, over a very long time, and part of that includes system underspending in terms of economic development.

The alienation is happening mainly because of a complete lack of will to support local people who have been there a long time (and to some extent that includes second- and third-generation immigrants in those towns). You don't tend to have the same problems in better-off areas that have high-paid, high-skilled foreign workers alongside high-paid, high skilled local workers. Cambridge is not Slough, or Doncaster, or Wakefield.

That happens in places with multiculturalism, like the UK, and in places where there is a strong nationalist and secular culture, like France. In both places it isn't really multiculturalism or laïcité that's failing, it's that certain places in those countries are being failed.

quote:

Imagine the following scenario: a disaster occurs somewhere else in the uk, the people living there have to move, and they do. There would of course be disruption, but the essentially nobody would demand that they stay in that disaster zone - rather, stresses these intra-migrants produce would just be the a result of that disaster, so any problems would encourage support of government intervention with resources. That's not happening here, instead, they're just being pitted against each other. Why? Lack of integration.
I can tell you from the history of local/national government spending and priorities that disasters have effectively been fabricated in certain areas, especially in the English regions outside of London, and that the government has deliberately not intervened, or intervened in the form of heavy-handed policing and "on yer bike" rhetoric. The Thatcherite idea of "managed decline" is the imposition of a disaster onto those places. The Pathfinder housing scheme in Hull, for example, has been as a result of the government more or less trying to ethnically cleanse the council housed areas of the poor by knocking down houses as they become empty.

That has nothing to do with multiculturalism.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Calling the mental health cuts a "Dementia Tax" was a stroke of genius.
That isn't what the Dementia Tax is.

Dementia Tax is the Tory idea that you should basically sell the houses of people with dementia to the care firms that are looking after them, while they're still alive.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
rudatron do you also complain that computers don't do what you tell them when you mash the print button 19 times and it locks up

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yes I agree. None of the new theoretically good things are actually new promises by the Tories. One of their first budgets, maybe the first or second Autumn budget, had a line in about rebuilding any sold council housing that has just 100% not materialised in the least. They also managed to change the discourse about the minimum wage by slightly increasing it and calling it the National Living Wage (which is a wholly different thing). I don't see why they won't walk back on worker's rights, either.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
What if an AI malfunctioned and did something it was in no way coded or able to do, like when photocopiers print whole new books if you overfill them with toner :S

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I would love to see a Conflict DVD featuring Danny DeVito and Crazy Titch lol

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fallen Hamprince posted:

p lmao considering labour's only realistic chance of being in government is in coalition with the snp

(this won't happen lol)
The SNP will never go into coalition with Labour, although they might support them on some laws and probably help them pass a budget.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

THe press finally doing their job and properly questioning may and shes loving up badly lol. she's so insanely poo poo i can't believe they've let her get away with it for this long
Yep, It's Good.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Kinda bizarre that the value of sterling has dropped because Theresa "Flapping, Born-Again Diamond Hard Brexiteer Moron" May might lose the election to Jeremy Corbyn whose party is much more open to european cooperation tbh

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i asked theresa and she's told me corbyn's had something to do with it, the dastardly labour man
Nationalised trains will have a wide variety of mixers m8 unlike the privately owned system that provides for the privileged few.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Venuz Patrol posted:

*spends multiple decades insisting that a parliamentary system allows for multi-party politics where every political ideology is represented*

*immediately collapses into a two party system as soon as a close election happens*
Whatever happens in England and Wales, there are going to be about 40 SNP seats and a hodgepodge of Northern Irish wonkiness in the Houses of Parliament. Also, the third party is dead entirely of its own making.

Lot of people voted Lib Dem in 2010 basically because of the Iraq War and being tired of an increasingly stagnant Labour government. I doubt very many of them thought the LDs would prefer to work with the Tories to bludgeon local government, further impoverish the disabled, and set the stage for the Brexit referendum.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

i was feeling vaguely optimistic about the election when i went to sleep last night and woke up to this really poo poo news

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

well i sure do hope corbyn release a very strongly worded statement condemning terrorism in all its forms
He did that ages ago.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

now would be a good moment to do it again to appear strong & stable
By ages ago I mean literally this morning. He has done this.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
no, we don't

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

rudatron posted:

All a 'free' press signifies is that it's privately owned, that's not the same thing as a responsible, truthful or diverse press. In fact, as we've seen over the last couple of decades, they aggregate over time into a small number of companies, with diverse interests themselves that conflict with the public good.

It's not even taht 'truth is in the middle', it's taht it honestly has no bearing on the matter at hand.
you can still read the morning star mate it's just shite

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

:mrgw:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

and i must meme posted:

imagine prime minister corbyn

imagine him meeting trump lmao
I can, and I love it.

Trump trying to mad dog him while Corbo p much winks to the camera like "gently caress this guy lol"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Imagine Corbyn calling out Tony Blair to chants of "LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!"... all this + more could be ours

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I dunno man. That is a big fuckin door to open about what would work instead.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

So I was watching a video with Theresa May and I noticed her catchphrase was "Forward Together". I mean did she just hire the cucks who did HRC's campaign.
no, macron's boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It is not republican.

Votes to do away with the monarchy have come up before in parliament lately and have not passed.