Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Fallen Hamprince posted:

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/908607860329910272

without suspending habeas corpus the UK will never be able to face the threat posed by *squints* a pail of cow manure hooked up to a 9 volt

The real terrorism here is how uncomfortable the plastic handles on those Lidl bags are when you're carrying something heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

It owns that hamprince turned on a dime from saying Corbyn could never win to freaking out about how he's about to turn Britain into Venezuela

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Sounds like Fallen Hamprince just volunteered himself as a virgin sacrifice whose banning will bring back LF.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

quote:

Conservative donors call for May to stand down over 'bullying' by Johnson

Founder of Pimlico Plumbers says PM is being undermined by foreign secretary, while others say party should emulate Labour’s wide financial support base

Conservative donors have called for Theresa May to stand down because she is being “bullied” by colleagues including Boris Johnson.

Following an ill-fated conference speech and rumours of a backbench plot against the prime minister, two wealthy supporters said the party must act quickly and install another leader.

In a further development, the party is discussing plans to emulate Labour and widen its financial support away from large donations from a select group of wealthy donors to smaller donations from its ordinary members.

Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you
Read more
Charlie Mullins, the founder of London-based Pimlico Plumbers, said May must leave because she was being bullied and undermined by Johnson.

He said: “She has got to go for her own sake. It is getting embarrassing. If this was a boxing match, the fight would have been stopped. She has been put in a position where she is being bullied, she is being intimidated, they are making her life hell. These are Conservative people who are destroying this woman and it needs to stop.”

Mullins, who has donated £50,000 and spent £30,000 on a stall at this year’s conference, said the foreign secretary had been successfully undermining the prime minister.

“She is a broken woman. They are setting her up,” he said. “Boris is not a fool. He knows what he is doing. Boris is knocking her at every opportunity he gets because he wants to be prime minister. Boris has been a big part of destroying this woman.”

May has previously posed for photographs with Mullins. She visited the headquarters of his business in south London and met him at a fundraising ball this summer.

Mullins said the party should act before Jeremy Corbyn capitalised on the Tories’ weakness. “If we don’t do something about it, Labour will take over, and we can’t risk that,” he said.

A second donor said May appeared to be too weak to fight the business community’s corner and should leave by Christmas if the party wants to retain financial support from entrepreneurs.

The businessman, who has given more than £300,000 in total, said: “[The party] is losing support in the City. People worry that the Tories are taking us over a Brexit cliff edge and May looks too weak to control her ministers.

“We need to act now. Whether she is replaced by an old guard member like Michael Fallon or new blood, I am not sure.”

The Conservatives have grown increasingly concerned about the party’s failing support from big donors in the business community.

While the Tories generated £1.5m in membership fees last year, Labour raised £14.4m, according to figures published in August by the Electoral Commission.

One major donor told the Guardian that party officials were now considering plans to emulate Labour’s successful funding model and encourage smaller donations from the wider membership.

John Griffin, the founder of taxi firm Addison Lee who has given more than £4m to the Conservatives, told the Guardian that he has had preliminary talks with party officials about helping to widen financial support from a select few individuals to other less wealthy donors.

“I think the party has performed very poorly in that particular area, so I have a cunning plan and we will be having meetings about that this month. They have underperformed in the area of collecting money,” he said.

“We don’t really want donors to give large sums. We want lots of people to give smaller sums. That is the plan. The Labour party are making a better fist of it. We need to consider that and emulate them.”

Griffin declined to go into further details but said he raised the idea with May at a fundraising dinner at the Dorchester hotel in central London last month. “She supports the idea in principle,” he said.

Griffin, who gave £1m to the party before this year’s election, said he wantedMay to remain as prime minister and called for Johnson to be given a “smacked bum” for undermining her.

“Boris has been a naughty boy and needs a smacked bum. That’s where I stand. He is a nice bloke, but there is a time for everything and he needs a bit more dignity,”
he said. “I have encouraged the prime minister to make sure that these people in the cabinet stand in line and she must exercise her power.”

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Gum posted:

Are they blocking the shot?

:golfclap:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

*Heckling continues*

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

half of britain voted against brexit and if labour came out against brexit they would see a massive boost but corbyn will never see this because he hates the eu lol

Well, I can see you're quite the expert on what the British electorate wants:

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

corbyn is going to get rear end-hosed because he is an uncompromising marxist and it turns out you have to be flexible on a lot of issues to be liked by dozens of millions enough to be voted into power

Oh here comes another brilliant political strategist:

hakimashou posted:

That king of thinking got you david cameron, seven years of tories, and the brexit. You have to stick with your team through thick and thin not just through thick.

What a fascinating position. I see you've been advocating it consistently:

hakimashou posted:

He should have stepped down when David Cameron did, immediately after the brexit referendum went the way it did. As leaders, he and Cameron both had a responsibility to guide their people away from that decision, and failing to do it meant they had both failed as leaders.

The coup/leadership challenge was a response to him not doing the right thing.

Helsing has issued a correction as of 22:10 on Oct 25, 2017

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

hakimashou posted:

I don't get it, Labour can switch leaders and still be the Labour party can't it? It's happened many times before, no?

You don't seem to think Labour should care about its current membership either:

hakimashou posted:

One of the rhetorical tricks that corbynistas think is clever is to claim he's popular and a winner because he won the leadership elections.

They forget or willfully ignore that it isnt the Party Members who count, but the general public.

So when you advocate supporting the team, your definition of "the team" doesn't include what either the current leadership advocates or what the actual membership wants?

Here are some more valuable insights that show what a smart and cagey political analyst you've been regarding what would actually appeal to the British electorate:

hakimashou posted:

J-corbz is seriously gonna lose I think. And he's been a serious liability for like a year now.

hakimashou posted:

She's magnificent just like I said before.

hakimashou posted:

Under better leadership and with a more centrist orientation the Labour party has a chance of forming a government and holding a majority in parliament but the lib dems don't.

hakimashou posted:

Yeah miliband had a problem that was separate from any policy, his goofy gumpy looking face. I remember 2 years ago watching the leaders' debates and he would just stare directly into the camera with his eyes all big and googly to 'directly address the viewer' and it made your skin crawl.

T May on the other hand has a real visage. She looks like she should be prime minister. She always looks very alert and earnest and capable and formidable.

Whereas corbyn never stood a chance in hell, even an outside chance, because he looks like a shambolic communist held-over from the 1960s.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

"T May on the other hand has a real visage. She looks like she should be prime minister. She always looks very alert and earnest and capable and formidable. "

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

After Brexit the next big thing should be replacing the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha with a proper British monarch and not some German usurper.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The government falling because more than 10 Conservative MPs were all charged with sexual assault at once would be the most appropriate end to May's tenure as Prime Minister.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

I'm tired of all this tory poo poo, stop buggering around and just give me King Corbyn, the writing's on the wall ffs

That's Lord Protector of the Commonwealth you filthy royalist, Corbyn would never accept the crown

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

My most distinct memory from visiting Bath was that they inexplicably covered the interior of the Roman ruins with glowing electronic screens. Everywhere you turn there's another electronic display showing recreations of the town or giving you a top down display of cartoony little simulation Romans walking around a 3D rendered version of what they think the town / baths looked like. It completely eliminated any sense of history you might have gotten from standing in a building that is at least partially 2,000 years old when there's a display monitor next to you running the equivalent of The Sims: Ancient Rome edition.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Condiv posted:

instead it has people like obama calling up with insider info on your political opponents :lol:

Inside information which appropriately turned out to be completely wrong:

The Guardian posted:

Barack Obama 'rang with reassurance for May' on election night

Former president said Labour was expecting losses and Andrew Marr told Tories results of exit poll early, book claims

Barack Obama rang Conservative headquarters on election night with a mistaken but reassuring message for Theresa May because Labour insiders had told him the party was expecting to lose seats, according to a new book about the election.

Shortly before the exit poll, which sent shockwaves through both party headquarters, the former US president contacted a friend in Tory central office with the soothing news that Labour was expecting to see the Conservatives increase their majority.

The revelation is contained in extracts from a new book, Betting the House, by the journalists Tom McTague and Tim Ross, published in the Mail on Sunday, that the prime minister appeared to be a germaphobe and reluctant to visit party HQ as a result - and that the results of the election night exit poll leaked early.

They write that Fiona Hill, one of May’s joint chiefs of staff, was tipped off a few minutes in advance about the result of the exit poll, which is usually tightly guarded by broadcasters.

The BBC presenter Andrew Marr admits to having contacted Tory HQ with details of the exit poll that contradicted Obama’s message before the results were announced but told the authors it was only seconds before 10pm. Details of the poll are kept to a very small team of senior staff.

The initial reaction to the exit poll, which is a large-scale survey of thousands of voters as they leave their polling stations, was disbelief. May’s other chief of staff, Nick Timothy, reportedly winked and told a colleague: “Don’t worry about that, it’s all fine. Nothing we’ve seen says anything like it.”

But as results from constituencies up and down the country confirmed the accuracy of the exit poll, Timothy apparently wondered aloud whether May should consider stepping down rather than endure the wave of criticism that would follow. The book claims that May’s husband, Philip, thought that his tearful wife might have to resign for the sake of her “wellbeing”.

But the authors claim May became determined to stay on after the Brexit secretary, David Davis, said he would support her, and she received a text message from Boris Johnson in the early hours of the morning urging her to keep her “chin up”, and promising: “We are with you and behind you.”

The pair were considered the most likely leadership contenders in the aftermath of the catastrophic election result.

The authors also reveal that May rarely visited party workers, fearing that Conservative HQ was “a pit of germs”. “There were quite a lot of germs flying around,” one Conservative source said.

When the prime minister did finally arrive to give a morale-boosting speech to staff, it was a rehash of her already wearily familiar stump speech. “It was all ‘strong and stable’ and the risks of Corbyn’s ‘coalition of chaos’. I couldn’t believe it,” one eyewitness said.

Some party workers began visibly checking their phones for Twitter updates. “This was the prime minister of the United Kingdom talking in the middle of an election to her own campaign staff and she couldn’t even hold the room,” the source told McTague and Ross.

The extracts suggest May’s advisers were bitterly divided between presenting her as a radical reformer, or the “strong and stable” face of continuity.

At an “away day” in February in her country retreat, Chequers, May’s political strategist Chris Wilkins and Timothy set out a series of social and economic reforms, and said the prime minister must be presented as “the person who always fought for relentless change”.

But Crosby, the Australian elections expert, dismissed their approach as “classic populist woolly bullshit”, according to the book.

Crosby told the senior advisers, who had gathered to discuss the party’s strategy over a meal of chicken lasagne and potatoes: “By the way, mate, it’s not about being the change candidate, it’s about doing what people want.”

Crosby, regarded as one of the masterminds of David Cameron’s unexpected victory in 2015, was sceptical about the idea of an early election, which May had repeatedly said was not necessary. But he and colleague Mark Textor nevertheless took on the job of advising the Conservatives.

When the election campaign kicked off, the stripped down message of strong and stable leadership became the central thrust of the Tory campaign – and allowed Labour to present Jeremy Corbyn as offering a radical alternative for voters disgruntled with the status quo.

Wilkins told Ross and McTague: “In the campaign, we basically just screwed the brand completely, hers and the party’s. We suddenly became the establishment candidate and Corbyn the candidate for change.”

Timothy was determined to press ahead with some policies for change – including the controversial changes to social care funding that were included in the manifesto.

And May reportedly backed his determination to include detailed policy in the closely guarded document, despite Crosby’s argument that: “I hate policy, it only causes problems.”

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

hakimashou posted:

Its the classic cold war problem of having to be buddies with unsavory people so that they dont become buddies with even worse people.

Saudi defense spending going to Britain is much much better than Saudi defense spending going to Russia.

The Cold War ended two decades ago.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

jBrereton posted:

And to think, if May had gone herself to Broadcasting House instead of sending the very recently bereft Amber Rudd to talk past Jeremy Corbyn, we might never have had all this fun.

May was feeling generous and just wanted to give Rudd something to take her mind off the fact her Dad died like a day and a half before that debate.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

From the same author

quote:

The day I stopped believing in the friendship myth

Only four out of ten pals turned up for my stag do, not including the ‘best friend’ who organised it

Toby Young

Should we be surprised that friendship isn’t always mutual? That is one of the findings of a team of researchers at Tel Aviv University who’ve just published a paper in an academic journal. They asked several hundred students to identify which members of their peer group they considered to be ‘friends’. On average, half the people included in this category by each respondent did not feel the same way about them.

According to the researchers, this news would come as a shock to most people. The students in the survey thought that 95 per cent of the people they regarded as ‘friends’ would identify them as ‘friends’ too. But I can’t say I’m surprised. In fact, a 50 per cent reciprocity score strikes me as suspiciously high. The researchers cite another friendship survey in which the score was only 34 per cent. That seems about right to me.

I haven’t always been so cynical. Before I got married, I was a fully signed-up member of the friendship cult. Like many young men, I regarded my close friends as a kind of substitute family, with all the accompanying ties and responsibilities. If one of them was in trouble, you did everything in your power to help them and if you were in trouble you could expect the same of them. As far as I was concerned, we had a lot in common with the Mafia, save for the need to do something unspeakable before you were admitted. Loyalty was the supreme virtue, with any other quality coming a distant second.

It was on my stag weekend 15 years ago that the scales fell from my eyes. There were about ten people I placed in the innermost circle — my own personal Cosa Nostra — and I invited them all to Malaga a week before I got married. Or rather my best friend invited them, having volunteered to organise the trip. He promised a whistle-stop tour of the most glamorous nightclubs in Marbella and enlisted the help of a well-connected local DJ to smooth our passage. I didn’t think of this as an opportunity for a final blowout with my nearest and dearest, since it didn’t occur to me that I’d be seeing any less of them after I got married. Innocent that I was, I thought of marriage as adding another person to my intimate circle rather than the substitution of one for the other.

I experienced a brutal reality check when only four of the ten honoured guests appeared at the Spanish hotel on the Friday evening. The no-shows included my best friend, the organiser of the festivities. He left a message on my phone explaining that he’d been held up by an ‘emergency’ and might be a few hours late — needless to say, he never made it — but he’d fully briefed another member of the group and he was more than happy to take the reins. Unfortunately, that ‘friend’ didn’t materialise either. We ended up spending the first night in an ‘English pub’ watching West Ham lose 2-0 to Leeds United.

The low point was the ‘activity’ on the Saturday – a scuba-diving trip to some local caves which my best friend had persuaded me to pay for on the understanding that everyone would pay me back. They might have, too, if they’d bothered to turn up.

In the event, only three of us made the trip, with the other two refusing to get out of bed for the early morning start. It made no odds anyway, because the scuba instructor decided to cancel the dive at the last minute on account of the heavy rain. He gave me a partial refund but kept the deposit, which, if memory serves, was around £500.

As we puttered back to shore in the leaky fishing boat, the rain lashing our wetsuits, I had a moment of clarity. My belief in the unbreakable bonds of friendship was a sentimental illusion. The true test isn’t when you’re in trouble — it’s relatively easy to stand by your friends in their hour of need, although, come to think of it, plenty of my friends have failed that test, too. It’s whether they’re prepared to inconvenience themselves for your benefit, particularly if it involves getting on a plane and shelling out a few hundred quid. Turned out 60 per cent of the people I regarded as my closest friends weren’t.

In retrospect, it was a good lesson to learn just before getting married. After that, whenever there was a conflict between loyalty to Caroline and loyalty to my friends, I was never in any doubt about who came first.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Squizzle posted:

does a knighthood come w any cool poo poo

a sword or something

A lifetime membership at the Elm Guest House

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

oliwan posted:

lol at the "my clothes stink after going out" argument. yes they stink, that's why you wash them. Or do you want to wear the same clothes you went out with the next day? Now that's loving gross.

As a smoker your body and everything that regularly touches it stinks constantly but your too inured to it to notice.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Every goon should have a little card in their wallet like for organ donors except it says "Hi, username is X, when I inevitably suffer an untimely and embarrassing death please notify the forums on something awful dot com"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

This time oliwan is correct

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

oliwan posted:

ketamine

You managed to find a drug worse than alcohol

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

So if I get perma banned I can keep posting by larping as my own spouse?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Jose posted:

i was going to queue a month but i've been foiled that you keep hyour awful posting in cspam

So uh, totally unrelated topic here. What would it take to get a CSPAM thread moved to gbs?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Compulsory military service would be a really great and visceral reminder to the youth that politics has consequences and future generations will not forgive them if they don't act soon to eat the rich

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

If only for his wife's sake I say that Michael Gove should be well hung

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Gaining 30 seats and almost 10 percentage points in the popular vote during your first election was opposition leader is a pretty strong showing by historical standards. How common is it in the UK for a leader to actually win their first election?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

jBrereton posted:

Hmm.

If we're talking by Corbyn Metrics, ie not actually winning an election but picking up seats, for the last 5 who faced an election:

Labour:

Miliband, lost
Brown, lost
Blair, actually won an election properly and formed a government
Kinnock, won the 1987 election
Foot, lost

Conservatives

May, lost (formed government regardless)
Cameron, won and formed government
Michael Howard, won the 2005 election
William Hague, won the 2001 election
Major, lost (formed government regardless)

Several of these people weren't opposition leaders and many of the others increased their popular vote shares by like a percentage point or two. Compared to the examples cited here Corbyn's performance seems reasonably good for a first time opposition leader.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

jBrereton posted:

If you're going back in History, the last opposition leader who formed a government after not managing to do so their first time is Ted Heath, failed in 66, won in 70. That's a fair while back now and there have been a few butterflies under the wheel since. Would you consider Jeremy Corbyn to be the next Ted Heath?

I don't think such direct comparisons make much sense but it does seem like based on the performances you cited earlier Corbyn's numbers are pretty solid, and the party's standing has improved substantially during his time in office.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The winners are those of us who enjoy the self destructive rush of schadenfreude that occurs every time another poorly designed technocratic project blows up in its creators faces.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Seems like both international and domestic capital both came down pretty hard on Mitterand when he tried to implement a radical social democratic reforms in France in the 1980s promising to "rupture" capitalism and set France on the road to socialism. Obviously nobody literally cut trade ties but it doesn't take anything that drastic to undermine social democracy in a single country.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

jBrereton posted:

Because the current government is getting constantly owned by the House of Lords, so the leader of the Opposition saying anything which could even be inferred to be "let's get rid of it" (for whatever good reason) means any criticism of the Tories doing it themselves just to speed up their legislative agenda will look like hypocrisy.

lmao how can anyone unironically be making arguments like this in 2018?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Maybe, but the idea that the Tories are going to either listen to the House of Lords or steamroll past it based on what Corbyn says about the Lords is silly. It's hard to imagine the Tories altering their Brexit strategy based on a policy announcement that only a handful of voters will even know about. This is like Democrats who think that criticizing the CIA is empowering Trump or something. It's the last and most pathetic gasp of establishment thinking, "we must not say anything negative about the status quo, or else we are fueling right-wing populism!"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Bryter posted:

I wouldn't imagine that they'll change their strategy, but they'll have a good soundbite prepared to defend it should it come to that, and that stuff seems to matter more in the UK than the US. Especially when Corbyn has dozens of MPs who are nominally on his side but are waiting for any excuse to criticise him and, if they're feeling particularly spicy, call for his resignation.

On a Monday the news cycle might be about May's Controversial Plan for Lords Shake-Up. By the end of the week it could be Corbyn Under Fire for PMQs Performance. You really can't underestimate the willingness of the British news media to drop substantive issues in favour of optics horse poo poo.

Oh no, not a soundbite :ohdear:

How many complete overturnings of the conventional wisdom on elections do we need to witness before we stop obsessing over dumb poo poo like who is "winning" the weekly news cycle?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Yeah but surely part of Corbyn's appeal is that he largely ignored that and has focused on articulating consistent positions that actually align with his genuine beliefs. The idea that he should try to suppress those beliefs because otherwise he's actually playing into the hands of the Tories seems to have been pretty seriously discredited by recent events.

I'm not saying it's impossible for Corbyn to shoot himself in the foot or that there's no need for strategy or message discipline, but the specific claim that criticizing the House of Lords could produce a bad sound bite and that this is something anyone who supports Labour should care about is a really really weird argument to see people making in 2018.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

*picking through bojo's gorey shattered remains*

"Fit for work"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

You should check out The Jaunt

If we're talking about metaphors for Brexit then I nominate "Survivor Type"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

quote:

Just like most other European hunter-gatherers, the Mesolithic Britons had dark skin and blue eyes. These genes were promptly wiped out after the arrival of the Aegean farmers, suggesting the native population was comparatively small and quickly mixed with the flocks of new-comers. The continental farmer populations also had their own long and thorny genetic heritage. On their journey from Turkey, they expanded along both the Mediterranean and Rhine-Danube in modern-day Germany, picking up ideas and genes along the way.

"Quickly mixed"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The first records of a Turkish people come from the Chinese around the 6th century of the Common Era. If some kind of proto-Turkish ethnicity did exist during the time period of Stone Henge's construction then presumably those people still lived somewhere in the vicinity of modern day Mongolia or Siberia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I started this thread two years ago exactly. What a difference 24 months have made.