Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008

shadowofshinra posted:

My suggestions:

Anne to unlock the Police station. So there's someone to deal with all those scary burglars etc.
Rose to unlock a big park so there's somewhere to take potential future doggie friends.
Mark to unlock the Fire Station in case Rose's shenanigans get out of hand.

And aaah the teen birthday trait vanishing, a glitch I've run into before. I don't have all the EPs but I have found the best way to avoid it is to not touch anything once the game centres on the age-up event (and to not be in the traits tab at the time). Seems like the game gets very confused over that age-up otherwise (and only that one, that I've seen!)

Seconded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

shadowofshinra posted:

My suggestions:

Anne to unlock the Police station. So there's someone to deal with all those scary burglars etc.
Rose to unlock a big park so there's somewhere to take potential future doggie friends.
Mark to unlock the Fire Station in case Rose's shenanigans get out of hand.

And aaah the teen birthday trait vanishing, a glitch I've run into before. I don't have all the EPs but I have found the best way to avoid it is to not touch anything once the game centres on the age-up event (and to not be in the traits tab at the time). Seems like the game gets very confused over that age-up otherwise (and only that one, that I've seen!)

Those suggestions are good.

Also it's amazing how buggy this game is. I wonder how much of it has to do with all the myriads of expansions not playing nicely with each other.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
So Daniel's imaginary friend became real... during one of his episodes where he was temporarily insane. Heh. You could do a lot with that if he'd stayed insane, but since she didn't go away when he stopped being insane, I guess he won't have any lingering doubts about whether she really became real.

And in this case, I'd support using a character editor to restore the missing Green Thumb trait, because that's what he should have had if the game hadn't bugged out. It isn't cheating if you're only using it to undo the effects of bugs.

Also, out of curiosity: can Sims marry their imaginary-friends-turned-real? Or are you going to have to go look for four spouses for your Sims once they hit young adulthood?

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student

Tax Refund posted:

So Daniel's imaginary friend became real... during one of his episodes where he was temporarily insane. Heh. You could do a lot with that if he'd stayed insane, but since she didn't go away when he stopped being insane, I guess he won't have any lingering doubts about whether she really became real.

And in this case, I'd support using a character editor to restore the missing Green Thumb trait, because that's what he should have had if the game hadn't bugged out. It isn't cheating if you're only using it to undo the effects of bugs.

Also, out of curiosity: can Sims marry their imaginary-friends-turned-real? Or are you going to have to go look for four spouses for your Sims once they hit young adulthood?

I'll probably add green thumb to his traits using CAS it already used testing cheats to delete a horse

And don't worry they can marry their imaginary friends turned real, it's kind of.wierd but an easy spouse option though I added a rule that I randomize the imaginary friends gender (you choose the gender when you name the doll) just so I don't have the imaginary friend be the spouse of a sims EVERY generation, considering that imaginary friend have a 75% chance of showing up, (yeah Lucy got unlucky), I want to bring in some more service sims and stuff so I can talk about things like hidden traits and all that

sincx posted:

Those suggestions are good.

Also it's amazing how buggy this game is. I wonder how much of it has to do with all the myriads of expansions not playing nicely with each other.

It's a combination of factors first off I'm just guessing here but PC games are probably hard to beta test do the myriad of different specs you have to design for, but also I get the sense the expansion packs were rushed considering the short turn over and not really designed to interact with each other (supernatural and ambitions are the only ones that really add extra stuff if you have prior expansions and even its minor), but make no mistake even base game sims 3 is buggy.

Also I'm starting play now so the voting is closed

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sincx posted:

I just realized what makes this LP so fantastic, beyond the hilarious bugs and the irreverent narration.

LPs are at their best when an expert player explains how to play through the game optimally. However, because there's normally no real goal or end game in the Sims series, all the previous LPs of the Sims have been narration-focused, which gets boring about a while.

This is the first Sims LP where the OP is focused on doing an optimized, min-maxed run through the game (due to the self-imposed challenge), and it's great because it's showing and explaining a lot of things that casual players would never know.

I think you're onto something. The only LP of Minecraft that I've enjoyed was one where they were on a tiny floating island, and they had to abuse generators to do anything. They were also using a add-on that have missions, so they had a goal to strive towards.

As for voting, I will abstain this round.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

John Lee posted:

I am imagining Cody as just a HUGE creeper, by the way. Calling the pizza place over and over again, thinking "Maybe it'll be a girl this time... drat." Briefly considering making the wandering furry his first sexual conquest before dismissing her as "too old." Dreaming of a female burglar breaking in, who he could seduce and then marry.

the horses were intruding into the house to judge cody

this is really great out of context

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

weso12 posted:

Want a family tree you got it ignore the fact that it doesn't show Cody and Gwennie as married a wierd thing that happened after Gwennie died is that it showed Gwennie and Cody as engaged not married for some reason
I guess I forgot that the family trees don't have names on them. It's not as helpful as I imagined.

weso12 posted:

Cowards, get the "afraid of the dark" moodlet when it's dark, will faint and get a "scared" moodlet when encountering a bulgar, grim reaper or fire, get scared when watching the horror channel on tv, run away from sims who slap them or fought them and won, pee themselves when declared a nemesis, runaway from sims who are emperor of evil, the repoman, or bonehilda.
Ancient Bulgarian nomads are pretty scary, I guess.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I guess I forgot that the family trees don't have names on them. It's not as helpful as I imagined.

Ancient Bulgarian nomads are pretty scary, I guess.

Why do i keep making that typo lol.

And I'll look into using paint, gimp or even family echo into making a useful family tree. Working on an update right now BTW so look forward to that.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
drat, I always get home just too late for the vote. I've never played around much with the Unstable trait, so it's interesting to see it in action.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

For those who don't know know Anne is unlocking the police station, Mark is unlocking Fire Station and Rose is unlocking the Big Park

So first up I used testing cheats to give Daniel back green thumb.

BTW if you wondering why it's dark it's not because I don't have lights it's because someone *cough* *cough* Lucy *cough* *cough* keeps turning them off EVEN when people are in the room. Stupid frugal trait even with no bills ever, she still feels need the $0 by turning off lights.

Speaking of Lucy got ask on a date by a gentleman she barely knows despite you know being married and all

Since Anne has to unlock the Police Station, she begins working on her paint skill

If your wondering why on earth the police station requires painting that because the creator of the challenge decided that buildings are unlocked by all the skills needed for the career, and since the forensics branch of the Police career requires painting paint is required for the police station

If you're wondering why I didn't start with logic instead of Painting it's because a. I already have two sims working on logic, three if you count Stacy who's doing it for his life time wish. and b. I'm pretty sure in the long run painting makes more money (or at least more reliable money).

I said in in the long run early on Logic telescoping makes much more

So poor Rose got tricked by the delusional Daniel into thinking that they could discover stars while using telescopes indoors

Yes they are both discovering stars and stuff by searching through the telescope indoors, it isn't a special thing or anything. BTW I'm just not doing it indoors because it's funny but also because indoor telescoping searching prevents them from getting hot and catching fire, also negative moodlets from rain and stuff.

So quickly after Daniel became a teen, so did Anne become a teen, she developed a mean spirit as she grew older

Mean spirited is annoying trait, it basically means that a. Your sim will have wishes for being mean and b. your sim will autonomously be mean to other sims which is rather annoying and with 7 sims in the house it's really hard to be on top of her not just randomly being mean to other sims

Also quickly after she became a teenager, her and Daniel started dating.

Yeah you can date and marry your imaginary friends turned real (I haven't tested whether you can date imaginary friends that haven't turned real but that would be quite depressing) in fact it's honestly optimal a lot of the time especially in this challenge.

So Daniel realized his goal in life, he desires to max three skills doesn't matter which but he's thinking about being a master of knowledge, a social master and a master of social media

I choose this one because no other LTW fits his goal plus even though I don't need to max social media it's still a helpful skill for maxing charisma and will actually be helpful for helping other Sims.

Also side note while base game skills DO count as "related" to your life time wish strangely the ones from sims 3 university don't even though maxing them counts towards the lifetime wish

Since Daniel wants to build a fire station one day he decided to get a jump start and start working out. And Stacy still worked on potion making despite finding the imaginary friend metamorphium

I only did this because, I had nothing better for him to do, and I heard there was a childhood athletic skill that effects your adult one and I was testing that out, didn't make a difference as far as I can tell. BTW I didn't get a screenshot of it but Mark also maxed toy blocks which brings his handiness up to three.

In case your wondering why Stacy is still working on chemistry well because a. His life time wish requires him to max logic and because b. Their is still one potion I want to make just for the sake of having it later.

So Lucy used her fairy magic on her husband Stacy to also grant him a bladder of steel.

And Stacy became an absolute master of logic, knowing everything there is to know about the world.

for those of you paying close attention and particularly good memory you know what that means

Stacy completed his (modified) goal in life of having a perfect mind and a perfect body.

Not long after that Stacy discovered how to make a Young again potion a powerful material to make any sim young again, he felt it was too powerful to use.

Young again potion does what you expect, it reverts the sim back to the start of the young adult phase of their life, it's actually really useful, but I'm gonna hold off on using it till I absolutely NEED it for a building unlock on something

So Stacy also found a strange device that allowed him to modify the future

Yeah this will be more useful once the unlock the ability to go into the future (the future rules for the this challenge are kind of annoying), but I'm running out of things that will be useful in the long term for life time rewards

He also managed to find a SECOND hoverbed

The reason I did this was because hoverbeds are awesome and since Rose and Mark refuse to sleep in the same bed I want them both to have the benefit when both are sleeping.

Also much like Daniel Rose decided her goal in life is to master three skills

This might be a strange choice but I did it because I can always have master handiness or something, quick it's not a hard lifetime wish.

Also Daniel also became a master of knowledge simply by looking out his telescope indoors

And decided now to become a social master, by talking to himself

To explain how I'm gonna max charisma. (Because charisma requires most having enough friends and knowing enough people to level up and family members do NOT count for some reason, though sims you live with that aren't family members do)

First off the first thing I do is have him talk to the mirror skill his skill goes up. If he doesn't have enough friends to level up Charisma, I will take on of the (non-family relationships) and text them over and over again till they become friends, which will level up Social media, once his social media reaches level 7 this tedious process of texting will be skipped and I will used the relationship transmorgifier (a broken app that you get via the social media skill that allows you change the relationships between ANY two non-child sims you know including yourself) to increase their relationship to friend.

If he doesn't know enough people, I will use sim finder to summon a new sim, have them text the sim a bunch of times so he doesn't immediately forget them, wash rinse repeat till he has enough relationships to max charisma.

Just a reminder Gwennie can die at any moment now, I'm a bit worry a bug might make her immortal but if that happens I'll move her out

Also a random townie managed to catch fire AGAIN.

But have no fear Lucy's here to save the day, that's two different sims she's saved the life of?

Also I added a random bathroom to raise the value of the beach we never use, so we can get money out of it

Also Mark became a teenager, grew an appreciation for middle eastern culture and gain a nurturing spirit.

Didn't even know teenagers could have nurturing huh

So Rose became a teenager as well and became one of the dozens of never nudes

Never nude is exactly what it says, it's an Arrested Development reference and sims with this trait will shower and stuff in the nude. Apparently insane sims with never nude will shower and stuff in anything.

So since Mark became a teenager, his father decided to start training to help him be a master of athletics faster

IDK if having someone trains actually makes the skill faster but Stacy has nothing better to do it doesn't hurt.

BTW are the images big enough? I resized them down to 800x600 because I read in the rules that's the max size for an image on the board but I see other LPs ignore that.

BTW once both Daniel and Mark become young adults I will be doing a poll to decide which one (plus their future wives) stays in the house and which one moves into their own house AFTER both of them and their future wife unlocks their buildings of course

Sorry for the boring update BTW

No poll BTW.

weso12 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 27, 2017

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
The latest images look fine on my computer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

weso12 posted:

Also side note while base game skills DO count as "related" to your life time wish strangely the ones from sims 3 university don't even though maxing them counts towards the lifetime wish
What does this mean?

weso12 posted:

BTW are the images big enough? I resized them down to 800x600 because I read in the rules that's the max size for an image on the board but I see other LPs ignore that.
Anything up to about 1000px wide should be fine for pretty much everyone, I think. Or 1024x768 if you're going with standard 4:3 display resolutions for whatever reason.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Tiggum posted:

What does this mean?

Yeah probaby should have expained this:

These 4 pictures represent a sims locked in wishes, notice how three of the wishes have that filter thing in the background (I really don't know what i call it).

Basically the ones that look like this:

Instead of this:

Means that the wish is "related" to a sims lifetime wish and such will give slightly more life time happiness (life time happiness is a currency attached to every individual sim that can be exchanged for different rewards like the moodlet manager, steel bladder and stuff). The strange thing is that learning logic, and mastering painting are considered "related" to the renaissance sim life time wish (which is master any 3 skills) but for wishes associated with leveling up and mastering skills that were introduced in Sims 3 University, namely for Social Networking and Street Art (IDK about the science skill) they aren't considered "related" despite the fact that those skills DO count towards the 3 skills you need towards the life time wish.

BTW no update today, while i did play for an update today, i didn't play long enough for too much interesting to happen, i think what I'm gonna do in the future is play everyday but only update when I get to the point where I need you guys for a poll

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Yes I am a sparkly fairy. :sparkles:

I didn't know that fairy sims had a longer lifespan, though. Then again, I never had the Supernatural expansion so I never got to play around with it.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

So finally time for an update:

First off we're starting with a (kind) of death, Gwennie lost her grip on the mortal realm and retreated to the Netherworld.

And BTW that thing about her not able to return total bullshit, i am able to rebind her if I want to using the philosphers stone: In case your wondering why that message even shows up, it's because using the philosphers stone to bind ghosts is not the way you do it in base game, the way you do it in base game is this:

Have a science lab in your town, snf someones tomb stone in your inventory and eventually you will get a phone call from the science lab about an experiment thing and you can make the sim a ghost, after the first time you do it this method it costs money each time. And with THIS method you can only restore a sim once (unless you use ambrosia to make them not a ghost any more but more ambrosia later since IDK how I'm gonna make that in this town)

I moved her tombstone to next to her husbands and that random women who died on our lot.

Should give her another eulogy

Thanks for comeback and giving us even more money your probably partially responsible for the good portion of the excess we have right now, you finally managed to max writing even writing over hundred books through your lifespan and your afterlife. Though the fact after you came back you would autonomously scare people is kind of annoying but what can you do? She is survived by her daughter and two grandsons.

So Daniel got this message, yes Daniel really needs to impress his teachers, those teachers he totally has, and get his grades up, for the school he's totally going to

Just putting this here because I find this sim strange looking maybe it's the hair combined with the skin tone seems odd but something about is interesting, I'd marry him in if I had a spare girl in the house.

Also I had to put this is, Anne fainting from a ghost that wanders around the house all the time, they are ghosts in the house get use to it (she also freaks out from Gwennie ghost now that she's in the netherworld when she didn't prior to that

Mark managed to become a physical master of athletics, achieving one of his two goals

So he got started on the other goal becoming a master handyman by constantly tinkering with and upgrading local household appliances

But when he was tinkering with the laptop, the managed to cause a small fire

But thankfully he managed to put out before any serious damage happened other needing a new chair nothing needed to be replaced

And because of this fire, Rose And Mark realized how life could end at any moment and decided to seize the moment and start dating

Yeah they weren't dating before this, forgot to do it till now

So using Lucy's fairy magic, Anne also got a bladder of steel meaning she never has to urinate

So Rose became a master of Logic

And proceeding to start a monstrous project plant in the backyard.

Lucy became a master fisherwoman.

You might be wondered why I bother mastering fishing since it neither contribues, it's because Lucy really doesn't have much to do right now, so I'm just having her do random stuff for the sake of it, plus mastering fishing makes okay money. I'm having Stacy work on skill challenges for athletics and logic just for the sake of it as well.

In others news Daniel finally became an adult

And develop some diva like tendencies

Looking at the wiki Diva seems like it's annoying trait, apparently they will slap sims after being insulted, a -30 relaitonship hit when an arguement with a romantic partner, relationship meter raises slower than other sims, but they get a slight boost to the singer career, they can compliment themselves, request compliments, talk about many accomplishments, and complain trivial things to other sims.

BTW even though is Anne is a teenager and Daniel is an adult they are still dating this normally isn't possible but if one ages up before the other it is, however they aren't able to engage in romantic interactions until Anne researches adulthood, speaking of that

Anne became a master painter.

And became a young adult, sorry no close up screen shot , i forgot to take one, but she became a kleptomanic

Kleptomanics can steal 3 things per night (and only in the night) by using the swipe interaction, it's really useful when playing a normal town but not so much here, I've been able to steal cars and poo poo with it.

And the two got engaged, and eloped

I might eventually do an actual wedding but that seems like work and takes away time from skilling

Also while tinkering with the laptop it catched fire again, that's the last time Mark messes with the Laptop, thankfully Rose put it out this time

Also I'm doing a vote now since Daniel is an adult I need you guys to decide who inherent the house Daniel or Mark, please put your votes in bold, the one who doesn't will move out with their imaginary friend turned wife. You guys have til Sunday 10 pm EST when I start playing again to cast your vote so I'm giving guys plenty of time here.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Fill the house with paintings :)

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Alavaria posted:

Fill the house with paintings :)

Will do, I have an excess of money and besides painting get nice moodlets the house is kind of boring looking right now

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

LucyWanabe posted:

I didn't know that fairy sims had a longer lifespan, though. Then again, I never had the Supernatural expansion so I never got to play around with it.

About half of the life states increase your lifespan to some degree, with fairies tied for the second-biggest increase in the game (technically it's a three-way tie, but one of the states has a reward option that makes them entirely unaging).

The Supernatural expansion is fun for letting you start out as some options right out of the gate, though some of them make things pretty simple (for example, the previously-mentioned genies have some pretty nice abilities with no gimmicks whatsoever).

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

LightWarden posted:

About half of the life states increase your lifespan to some degree, with fairies tied for the second-biggest increase in the game (technically it's a three-way tie, but one of the states has a reward option that makes them entirely unaging).

To be fair, with sims 3 generations theirs an option to make any sim unaging: the age freeze potion life time reward, it's ridiculously broken for this type of this challenge and I'm banning it for that exact reason. There's probably a lot more i should ban, (Philosphers Stone ghost binding, science lab ghost binding, young again potion, maybe ambrosia but ambrosia is appriopately hard to get, and things like the motive mobile and the moodlet manager), but i think at a certain point you have to say gently caress it and allow some broken things though thanks for reminding that vampire life time reward option exists i need to explicitly ban that.

EDIT: Also finally updated the main post. It now has all the updates in the table of contents and adds the favorites and signs of every sim for all 0 of you that care about that sort of stuff, I don't have Mark's yet, because i couldn't find a screen shot with it, and i didn't feel like opening the game just to find out, when I play next time I'll make sure to check so i can add to the list.

Also I do need votes for who is the next heir Mark or Daniel, I don't care either way so I'll random.org if no one votes

weso12 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 30, 2017

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I vote Mark should inherit the house.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Since Mark and his dad both took physical as a skill, it would make sense that he should inherit the house.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Mark.

I want more fires. :tif:

shadowofshinra
Apr 12, 2014
I'll throw in a vote for Mark too.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, sure, Mark, as long as Lucy gets to hang around doing :sparkles: stuff.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Okay I'm starting play now so the poll is CLOSED

Looks like mark is inherenting (and by extension Rose) but doesn't mean we're saying goodbye to Daniel and Anne quite yet, he and his wife still have buildings to unlock, they'll unlock their buildings then move out.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

So no update today, because i haven't gotten to a point where i need a poll, but here's a sneak peak of what your in for:

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

weso12 posted:

Looking at the wiki Diva seems like it's annoying trait, apparently they will slap sims after being insulted, a -30 relaitonship hit when an arguement with a romantic partner, relationship meter raises slower than other sims, but they get a slight boost to the singer career, they can compliment themselves, request compliments, talk about many accomplishments, and complain trivial things to other sims.

There's also one more minor thing to the Diva trait, if I remember correctly: if a sim uses the interaction "accuse of being a diva" on them (which is a mean interaction), instead of the usual anger, Divas will happily go "Oh my god you're right :downs:". It's pretty funny to see one sim take the aggressive stance while the other just happily agrees.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Buckler Down because we got a LONG one today, as I'm gonna stop doing the out of character stuff being in italics since like more than half of my commentary is out of character so now it's now gonna be inversed in character stuff, is gonna be an italtics

Also for those that don't know Mark won the last poll so mark is the next heir to the house:

So since Stacy was board and decided to shop online and decorate the house with paintings

So as per request I added paintings to the house, I probably should have used Sim created painting, but I didn't for 2 reasons

1. I already sold all of Anne's paintings, they are worth good money once you get high enough skill level

2. It appears from another recent save file I've been playing on the side, that even paintings you buy appreciate in value over time so these.

So while tinkering with the tv, Mark created fire again and set himself on fire this time

Thankfully (at least for those who don't want teenagers to die, horrible gruesome deaths), Mark managed to reach the shower with only seconds to spare

Seriously i think the in game timer for when he would burn to death was only at a minute (which is like less than a second real time), so this was a close call, I probably would have binded his ghost if he actually died.

So it looks Lucy put out the fire, drat Lucy is awesome at putting out fires

So if you notice I bought an interesting looking casket, that casket is actually the home of Bonehilda

Bonehilda is basically a maid that instead of paying every time they visit is a one time purchase of her home and she cleans your house for free, plus does other stuff heres all she does according to the wiki:

Useful things she does
Prepare Food (Not serve)
Clean
Repair broken appliances for free
Put out fires (this would have been helpful earlier)
Socialize with her (you can't make friends with her, she no relationship but you can still talk to her), apparently loners don't count her as person in terms of interupting them but supernatural fans (more on that trait if someone ever gets it) get a bonus
They can work with other bonehildas if you buy multiple
Apparently train dogs if she nothing else to do
Attack burglars and win

Annoying this she does or doesn't do
She drinks every drink she can find randomly
She steal clothes from people streaking
She doesn't do child care
Won't Entertian guest
Doesn't Garden
Strangely won't do Laundry, even though regular maids do that (Laundry is an optional mechanic that increases sims moodlets when done but requires more cleaning I generally don't find it worth it)
Will scare off regular maids from working their so if you want to use the laundry mechanic but want to have automated by maid don't use bonehilda
Scare off coward and neurotic sims to the next room even if they are also brave. (Except toddlers these traits do get sacred and but don't flee
Sims with the supernatural skepic trait will also get sacred but not leave the room and this is ignored if their brave
Apparently she suppose to interact with baby and toddlers but the interactions always fail

So overall she useful if you don't have a sim with Cowardly or Neutric but I do right now so I can't really take her advantage of her yet, I tried using her but Anne freaking out everytime she showed up was just too annoying

So Lucy granted Rose a steel bladder

And after taking an improv class, Stacy has become, able to repeat anything without having it being boring

What never dull does is make so that when you socialize with a sim you can repeat the same action over and over without the other sim getting board, it's suprisingly useful, I forget why i bought it in this circumstance

So Mark became a master of handiness so he's able to modify and build the house at a cheaper rate

I have no idea how much this actually saves (or if i does) I didn't really compare and contrast prices or anything

Also Lucy used magic to give mark a steel bladder this time

Since Mark maxed both handiness and athletic, we can now build a fire station.

Also Rose maxed Gardening which means we can buy this:

A big park in case your wondering their's a stage on this because I'm taking advantage of this rule of the challenge:

quote:

15. If you have Showtime...A stage may be added to any normally earned Big Park... Acrobat, Magician, and Singer are allowed when you have a Big Park with a stage.

plus the unlock requirement for the Coffeehouse

quote:

Coffeehouse - Must earn a Big Park with a stage first, and reach Level 10 in any performance career (no money requirement).

and all the other showtime lot basically chain off the coffeehouse. (The Live Show Venue requires a coffeehouse, the private venue requires the live show venue, and the big show venue requires the private coffeehouse), so now we can finally do show time stuff... hooray I guess.

So i had Rose work on handiness and Mark work on Alchemy I did alchemy because it's fast and he has the renaissance sim lifetime wish, I have Lucy working Handiness for a specific reason that will be clear when she maxes it

So as time went on Rose and Mark grew older and became young adults. Rose grew overemotional and Mark grew rebellious

Overemotional i've already explained overemotional it's a good trait if you can keep track of moodlets well (which is piss easy with the moodlet manager)

Rebellious, a trait introduced in the Sims 3 Generation, is something I wish he had as a minor because it's more useful then. It makes you more likely to get away with pranks and breaking curfew and gives you extra moodlets for doing those things, it's not entirely worthless now, he still gets bonuses from riding motorcycles and stuff, and protesting etc. This apparently doesn't effect the rebel clique from university life, because Expansion pack synergy what's that?

Also in the future I'm not gonna explain every minor effect of a trait just the main points of it, if you know something about a trait that makes it interesting that I didn't include feel free to comment on that.

So Mark proposed to Rose and she said yes and they quickly eloped

The two tried for a baby

And both them even tried fertility pills, because they REALLY wanted to make sure

Yeah I gave them both fertility treatment, it increases rate of conception and increases the odds of twins and triplets

And for some reason Rose started watching KIds tv and listening to Kids radio

There's a spefic reason I'm doing this and I'll explain later

Also I'd be sad if I didn't show this, while making an alchemy potion, Mark turned into a frog person, I moodlet managed this away but it's kind of funny

Lucy quickly learned she was pregnant, she was escatic

While all this was happening, Daniel became a social master meaning he could finally achieve his dream of creating a school, Rose is escatic her future child will get an education

If you think that means Daniel is moving out well, not quite yet: Daniel will move out when BOTH him and his wife achieve their building goal so they can move out together.

Here's the school that exists, this means that all kids and teenager now gotta start going to school, which is slightly annoying so that means less time skilling but w/e, theirs generally plenty of time

Also apparently we should go visit gwennie because she could die at any moment hows about all the way back in update 4?

So the 9 month of pregnancy flew by quickly and Rose gave birth

To a beautiful baby Girl named Maria, who is afraid of the water and loves the heat

AND...

and a beautiful baby boy named Brian, who is also afraid of the water and is quite eccentric

That's right she gave birth to twins

I basically rigged this, just because I wanted to experience, obviously the fertility treatment of both her and her husband increases the odds, but her constant listening to kids music and her watch a brief amount of Kids TV also increased the odds of her having twins or triplets and considering they were already 6 people (the cap of any household without mods is 8 (Well 8 people, you can have 6 pets, but no more than 10 sims + pets total so if you have 8 sims you can have 2 pets, and if you have 6 pets you can have 4 people (minor pets don't count towards this since you don't control them only cats, dogs and horses count))) in the house making triplets impossible we were basically guaranteed twins

Also despite being born on the same day, twins will generally have different astrological signs.

Also since Hydrophobic was already explained now time for me to explain Loves the Heat and Eccentric: Loves the Heat, added in Sims 3 Season is straight forward, they get a bonus moodlet from being in the heat longer (useful to me sinces it's summer all the time in the game world I have), and don't get sunburned as quickly (also more useful to me due to the nature of my world). This is literially all of it's effects if you know of any other effects let me know.

As for Eccentric it's mainly useful for inventing, infact as fair as i can tell the only thing it affects is inventing, it increases the chance of discovering inventions, faster at making discovered inventions, higher chance of making improved widgets, apparently learn the inventing skill faster and stuff.

So much like the twins fathers and uncle the twins also got a mysterious gift that were two very similar dolls.

So in his goo and gaas brian declared his doll female and named it Susan

In her goos and gaas Maria declared her doll male and named it Darren

BTW I am seriously random.orging the imaginary friends gender and it's seriously getting annoying I'm always getting the opposite gender because eventually i want diversity in spouses, I want sims to marry maids, repomen, etc. Not just imaginary friends.

Also I had Stacy work in the garden since he had nothing better to do, so he mastered gardening

Speaking of Stacy he made the 100 day mark in the game, let's see how long he can keep it up

Also Daniel was a fantastic uncle helping take care of his nieces and nephews and stuff.

BTW Rose mastered handiness

I have no idea if this stacks with Marks handiness bonus discount but i'm willing to be no because that might be broken but then again when as the sims ever cared about what is broken

Rose also completed her life time wish because she master three skills now

She then decided to inspect the mysterious device that's been in the front yard for so long

She noticed that it was actually portal and a strange man came out

She recieved a strange device from him that gave her detailed information on the future, he offered to take her to the future but first they need 5 powerful cells

... they weren't difficult to find and he only needed five of them

After that she traveled into the future

In case your wondering why I didn't do this earlier the rules with the future and this challenge are suprisingly obnioxous

quote:

20. If you have Into the Future, only Sims who have maxed Logic or Science and Handiness or Inventing may travel into the future. This does not count as earning a lot, and traveling into the future does not disqualify a Sim from earning a lot. However, the sonic shower, food synthesizer, drink synthesizer, retail display pedestals, dream pod, holo-computer, holo-disc, jetpack, and windcarver can only be purchased in the present if there is a Sim in the current household who has both been to the future and has maxed Advanced Technology... If you instead have a Sim who has been to the future but has not yet maxed Advanced Technology, they may bring these things back with them from the future but can't buy more in the present. If you instead have a Sim who has maxed Advanced Technology but hasn't been to the future yet, then you may only buy more of whichever items your household already has. The rules for the Laser Rhythm-a-con and bot workshop are the same as the ones for the above items except that their respective skills are required rather than Advanced Technology.

Now the first part is why I had Rose learn handiness, because i needed either that or inventing to go into the future (and she already 3 points in handiness from childhood skilling, so it would probably be faster than inventing much less expensive too).

Lucy got wander around on a jetpack

And crashland

Interact with a plumbot

Plumbots are the new "occult state" in Sims 3 Into the Future, though calling them an occult state is streching it since it's the only one AFAIK that can't became any of the other occult states including regular sims, it also has there own trait chips. Also fun fact this is second robot Sim occult state in the sims 3, we'll hopefully meet the other one down the line.

ALso the rules are shocking unclear in whether Plumbots can unlock buildings. Since getting them to learn skills is a pain in the rear end, since when they start out they have the ability to learn skills, and can't untill you install them with a trait chip that allows them too.

and even try out an ACTUAL hover board, not those trend from like 2 years ago "hover board" trend that everyone forgot about

also she explored the waste land but i forget to take a screenshot

Eventually however she had to go back home but she got to keep the hover board and jetpack, though this now makes her slightly older than her husband as she aged a litlte bit while she was gone as her husband remained the same

That's right the sims into the future does the logical thing with future travel only sims that went to the future age, when they get back no other sim has aged, note this when we get into worlds adventures stuff, and university life. BTW I'm having Rose work on advanced technology now, in order to able to buy more stuff from the future for future generations.

Also while in the future Rose bought never dull as LTR, in order to help her do a mission

Also Mark maxed alchemy those paying close attention should know what that means.

Mark completed his lifetime wish of maxing three skills.

So Lucy used fairy magic to create some mermadic kelp, but not for herself she gave it to her son mark

Mark then used the mermadic kelp and became a mermaid or a merman rather. He could still walk on land but he could now swim in the ocean freely

First off I think I'm gonna have sims each founder explore the different occult states throughout the challenge but after they have kids to avoid all the kids from having freakishly long life spans and having every single kid be a supernatural (besides imaginary friend but that occult state is beyond trivial). Second off the mermadic kelp life time reward gives you an item that allows you turn any sim into a mermaid Second off let me explain mermaids, they can still walk on land just now have scales on their legs. They instead of having hygiene (they are always squeaky clean) have "hydration" meter, which means that they occasionally need to go into water or die of dehydration, they also need to go into salt water occasionally or turned back in regular sims. They also start with MAX scuba diving skill which means I can cheese that dive spot unlock assuming adding a dive spot is possible. Mermaids favorite food is always Kelp, are capable of eating rare fish, and less satisified by normal sim food. They also swim faster and are immune to drowning and don't surffer decompression when they are done with a dive. A mermaid needs to swim in salt water for 48 hours or risk getting "adapting to Land", and lose your mermaid abilities. (The moodlet manager also handles that too i believe)

In other news, Anne maxed Logic.

Anne is now is moving onto athletics, while she is a coach potato that doesn't seem to hurt her athletic skills, she not leveling noticeably slower, and while she's not rolling the usual "work for x hours" wishes, she doesn't get any special negative moodlets from excersizing.

So as the years went by the twins aged up to toddlers

It became an all hands on deck effort to make sure this could walk, talk and poo poo on time

Also notice the strangeness of Marks arms here, why is he streching them like that

ALso that wierd "go to the corner of the map to dispose the contents of the potty chair bug" is still alive and well and happens EVERY time they dispose trash. I have no idea why, can someone with a knowledge of program and pathfinding explain it to me?

For those that care, Stacy is at 105 days now, and shows no sign of dying, i guess that Marathon running skill challenge reward REALLY extended your lifespan.

So Mark used his general handiness to invent a teleportation pad

In case your wondering the teleportation pad, allows you teleport anywhere in town, it's... actually not as useful as the moodlet manager honestly and not really worth the life time happiness price tag especially in such a small town.

Also added the teleportation pad to the house.

Also in other news Anne maxed athletics which FINALLY means we can move out Daniel and Anne out of the house

SHe also completed her lifetime wish

I build them a new house relatively close by, I was trying to be cheap possible since their morgage comes out of OUR money. BTW, I added a crib and stuff so they could story progression children possibly it probably won't happen but you never now.

Also before the move out, I bought a food replicator with Anne life time happiness and made sure to transfer all of their inventory to other sims.

the food replicator replicates food it's only really useful for a certain exploit with ambrosia but other than that it's kind of lame.

So Brian got attached to Susan and the two are in seperatable

Translation: Susan will become an imginary friend

Also Rose got Lucy to use some fairy magic on her to make dirt defiant

Dirt defiant makes it so sims get dirty much less quickly.

Also Rose got Lucy to use sme fairy magic to make her more carefree

Carefree boosts your fun motive by 25%

So I got bored and decided to make Mark a firefighter

Not long after Mark became a firefighter, Maria quickly grew attached to Darren as much as Brian was with Susan

So I got bored with lucy and have a goal of making her life as absurding long as possible so the first thing i did was have get the logging skill challenge which boosts her life span (IDK how much though, Stacy has it and still hasn't died so a good chunk at least)

One thing i noticed is it seems the base "Mood" of a sim is somewhat random, seems to be based on play session or day because notice how Lucy as nothing but postive moodlets (and a rather strong one at that), but is still considered "sad". This might be a bug or something.

So I tried to get mark to boost his relationship with the other firefighters, but using friend potions made them friends but didn't boost preformance but the profession thing says befriending your coworkers would. Also Story progession made anne a firefighter coolio.

After only fighting one fire at Daniel and Anne's house
(forgot to screen shot that I'm sorry) Mark that being a mermaid made being a firefighter overwhelming and decided to quit being a firefighter and continued the family tradition of being unemployed but still have an absurd amount of money.

Also we bought this thing I'll explain what it's useful for in a later update

So apparently when reading a book to learn logic, apparently brain thought it was logical to sit ON the book while reading it.

So both Brian and Maria aged up. Brian became an equestrian while Maria became a loser

So equestrian sims build relationships with horses faster than other sims, equestrian sims learn the riding skills faster and horses will learn skills faster when training with equestrians, as well the recieve a negative moodlet from seeing their horse's ghost and gain fun from riding a horse. It's obviously only useful if you have a horse

Loser sims are more likely to recieve a negative event at work/school, when receiving opportunities loser sims have a higher chance of failling, will break down in tears if something negative happens ot them, complain more in conversations, less likely to win in video games, very unlikely to win fights, get a more potent Winner moodlet when they DO manage to win games, also when they are promoted, at a slight disadvantage in all major in the college, flee from the emporer of evil, very likely to lose bar brawls. BUT their is one upside, they can only die of old age, any other death the grim reaper revives you, out of pity and ammusement it's actually kind of funny.

So both Brian and Maria made their imaginary friends real quickly using their grandfather's potion making.

Darren is an Eccentric Night owl who loves to swim and Susan is a Inappropriate, Neat sim with a good sense of humor

Explaining time: Night Owl grants a postive moodlet for being up late (11 pm to 5 am), and a negative moodlet from being up early (6 am to 10 am), and they gain more fun interacting stargazing, searching the galaxy or painting. Not that useful but not that awful either they are worse traits, not great of a kid who has to go to school though

Loves to Swim learn scuba diving skill faster than other sims, can swim longer than other sims, and have a 30% higher chance to win fights against sharks (which a thing that can happen that I didn't know till just now). That seems like it's it, man the later expansion pack traits are really bare bones.

Inappropriate sims, easily insult other sims, won't always dress properly for an occassion, can try to kiss, tickle or even propose marriage super early (this might be useful with insane sims who have 50/50 rate to accept marriage proposals regardless of anything, grant a bonus to writing the humor genre, can talk about other sims when they are near by, rummage through garbcanes, sponge bath themselves in the sink and make innapprioate forum posts on the computer, they autonomously insult other sims which is kind of annoying actually.

Neat sims will autonomously clean, have fun while clean, and make objects "cleaner than normal" (IDK what than means), are able to clean in bad mood, won't use dirty objects, have the ability to just "Clean House" entirely which cleans up everything like a maid (It's suprisingly useful honestly) and they will always wash their hands after using the totels, and recieve wishes to clean. It's generally a useful trait espeically for a "Stay-at-home-sim".

Good Sense of Humor means taht other sims laugh at their jokes more, more receptive to others jokes, jokes boost relationships more, have a better starting relationship with other sims, more humor actions avaible than normal, react postively to pranks, write better humor books and autonomously use humorous actions more common. Seems useful but i barely notice the effects honestly

Side Note: Both Brian and Maria inherented the imaginary friend occult state from their mother all this occult state does allow them to transform into a toy form.
Here's Maria's

Here's Brian's

So you guys have 4 sims: Maria, Brian, Darren and Susan to vote for building unlocks for, here are the buildings I'm allowing:

1. Criminal Warehouse - Maxed Athletics and Logic, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($50,000)
2. Bistro - Maxed Cooking, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($37,500)
3. Day Spa - Buy (not partner) the rabbithole (no skill requirement). ($50,000)
4. Diner - Maxed Cooking, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($24,000)
5. Office Building - Maxed Charisma and Writing, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($58,000)
6. Theater - Max any instrument (Guitar, Bass, Drums, Piano) and Logic. ($58,000)
7. City Hall - Maxed Charisma (no money requirement).
8. Graveyard - Must purchase the lot (no skill requirement).
9. Military Base - Maxed Handiness and Athletics (no money requirement).
10. Art Gallery - Maxed Painting, and must purchase the lot.
11. Fishing Spot - Maxed Fishing, and must purchase the lot.
12. Gym - Maxed Athletics, and must purchase the lot.
13. Library - Maxed Writing, and must purchase the lot.
14. Pool - Maxed Athletics, and must purchase the lot.
15. Small Park - Maxed Gardening (no money requirement).
16. Chinese Garden - Maxed Photography, and must purchase the lot.
17. Consignment Shop - Maxed Sculpting, and must purchase the lot.
18. Hangout - Maxed Charisma (or Mixology if you have Late Night), and must purchase the lot.
19. Junkyard (regular or no visitors) - Maxed Inventing (no money requirement).
20. Laundromat - Must purchase the lot (no skill requirement).
21. Salon - Maxed Painting (no money requirement).
22. Disco Club - Max any instrument, at least One Star Celebrity Status, and must purchase the lot.
23. Dance Club - Max any instrument, at least One Star Celebrity Status, and must purchase the lot.
24. Poolside Club - Max any instrument, at least One Star Celebrity Status, and must purchase the lot.
25. Sports Bar - Maxed Mixology, and must purchase the lot.
26. Local Watering Hole - Maxed Mixology, and must purchase the lot.
27. Dive Bar - Maxed Mixology, and must purchase the lot.
28. Fusion Lounge - Maxed Charisma, at least Three Star Celebrity Status
29. Vampire Lounge - Maxed Charisma, Sim earning the lot must be a vampire, and must purchase the lot.
30. Exclusive Lounge - Maxed Charisma, at least Three Star Celebrity Status
31. Coffeehouse - Must earn a Big Park with a stage first, and reach Level 10 in any performance career (no money requirement).
32. Gypsy Wagon - Maxed Alchemy, Charisma, and Logic and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($16,000)
33. Vault of Antiquity - Maxed Alchemy and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($22,000)
34. Elixir consignment store - Maxed Alchemy, and must purchase the lot.
35. Supernatural hangout - Maxed Charisma (or Mixology if you have Late Night), must be a supernatural being of some sort, and must purchase the lot. (Not counting imaginary friend for this BTW)
36. Festival grounds - Maxed Cooking and Athletics (no money requirement)
37. Arcade - Max Jock Group and must purchase the lot.
38. Java Hut - Max Gardening and Cooking and must purchase the lot.
39. Nerd Shop - Max Nerd Group and must purchase the lot.
40. Rebel Hangout - Max Rebel Group and must purchase the lot.
41. Student Union - Max all three Social Groups (no money requirement).
42. Resort - Maxed Charisma and must purchase the lot.
43. Diving Area - Maxed Scuba Diving (no money requirement).
44. Cafeteria - Maxed Advanced Technology, and must purchase the lot.
45. Gallery Shop - Maxed Advanced Technology, and must purchase the lot.
46. Business Park - Must earn a Legacy Statue, and must purchase the lot.
47. Future Lounge - Maxed Charisma, must earn a Legacy Statue, and must purchase the lot.

Remember you have 4 different to vote for.

Side Note; Stacy is at 110 days, I'm seriously considering killing him at this point, but I kind of want to see when he FINALLY dies of old, i guess we'll have to wait and see what i decide to too with him eventually.

Also I'm thinking of movign back to daily update IDK how good massive updates are this took a LONG time to make.

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger
Maria - Criminal Warehouse
Brian - City Hall
Darren - Disco Club
Susan - Theathre

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Robotic Folksinger posted:

Maria - Criminal Warehouse
Brian - City Hall
Darren - Disco Club
Susan - Theathre

I'm going to throw my vote behind this as well, but I'm going to change Darren's to Elixir consignment store.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Not sure if you covered this already, but is there a reason you designed the house the way you did (i.e. huge rooms with the cheapest decor possible and no windows)?

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

sincx posted:

Not sure if you covered this already, but is there a reason you designed the house the way you did (i.e. huge rooms with the cheapest decor possible and no windows)?

1. Huge rooms is just because when I design stuff I'm bad at estimating how much space i'll need (this is most obvious with bathrooms which I usually greatly overestimate but they are some upsides: it prevents sims from complaining their isn't enough enough space to do something, and if I want to add something I can add something without creating an extra room unless it's something that requires privacy.
2. Cheapest decor possible is for the obvious reason it's cheap, while expensive stuff is less likely to break, and cheap stuff occasionally gets you negative moodlets, and sims occasionally get negative moodlets, i have plenty of money but some of the building I'll need to unlock along the line are QUITE expensive (I'm talking possible in excess in $200,000), that being said the beds I picked (prior to the hover bed which are lifetime rewards, which are equilvanet to the best bed) are in fact NOT the cheapest, they just are higher quality beds by a considerable margin than their price indicates, so they are GREAT bargin (I'm guessing what happened is that during testing they originally higher price, then someone decided they looked at little cheaper and lowered the price, but forgot to change. Side Note: As far as I know their is no benefit to the better wallpaper and floortiles what so ever so going with the free ones is always better unless you care what your house looks like.
3. No windows because windows are impractical the only benefit they provide is avoiding a negative moodlet for having no light (they also provide decor bonus at higher costs but on the other hand so do Lights and paintings), however they don't provide light during night time, when lights (or this case caged candles that don't seem to ever run out of wax, and functional EXACTLY like lights) do so your gonna need lights regardless so their isn't much point in windows. I believe that sims that love the outdoors might appreciate windows so maybe I should have done it when Cody was alive.

Over all I design houses to be practical versus looking pretty, that being said they are some impracticability, like I like to display the certifitics they get for maxing skills despite that having no practical benefits (I don't BELIEVE they provide decor bonuses) plus they oddly sell for money $1000, that being said I added some paintings now, just because paintings have a practical benefit of having a decor bonus to moodlets when in the room.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Also closing the poll now because I'm starting play i random.org between disco club and elixir consignment store and it rolled consignment

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shame I missed voting. A few comments: Please spend a little more time proofreading. Even reading through your post before you submit it should help. There's some glaring typos and run on sentences that are getting in the way of reading the LP.

Also, I know you want to get started playing ASAP, but this voting period wasn't even open for 24 hours. Do you think something like this would work? Open the vote for goals when a kid is born (or imaginary friend confirmed). Make multiple smaller updates, and then only lock in the votes for goals once the kids grow up into teens. It might be a little harder to min-max like you are now, but it gives us time to vote, and for you to play, without having to leave a gap where only one thing or the other is happening. But, it's your LP, do what you think works best.

Hooray for having a firefighter. Now we can have appliances catch fire to our heart's content.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Seconding the proofreading comment. I like the concept, but some of the errors are a bit glaring. :shobon:

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

General Revil posted:

Shame I missed voting. A few comments: Please spend a little more time proofreading. Even reading through your post before you submit it should help. There's some glaring typos and run on sentences that are getting in the way of reading the LP.

Also, I know you want to get started playing ASAP, but this voting period wasn't even open for 24 hours. Do you think something like this would work? Open the vote for goals when a kid is born (or imaginary friend confirmed). Make multiple smaller updates, and then only lock in the votes for goals once the kids grow up into teens. It might be a little harder to min-max like you are now, but it gives us time to vote, and for you to play, without having to leave a gap where only one thing or the other is happening. But, it's your LP, do what you think works best.

Hooray for having a firefighter. Now we can have appliances catch fire to our heart's content.

First off, I'm definitely gonna have to do more proofreading. And based on personal experience I would agree that the voting period should probably just end when the kids become teenager. Honestly from play right now in between handling the children's need, doing homework, and going to school, sleep, and the fact I'm currently managing 8 sims right now, the kids barely have time to skill. Besides like half of the skills in the game are off-limits to children anyways (Alchemy, Charisma, athletics, gardening etc). However teenagers while still have school now, they don't have to worry about moodlets and motives thanks to the moodlet manager being OP. So they'll likely have considerably more time to skill.

And yeah I should probably not have done that massive update I'll keep them shorter than that next time. I can admit the last update was a bit overwhelming, with Mark and Rose starting this update as teenager, and ending the update married with two school aged children plus those two school aged children having two imaginary friends that turned real. Let's not forget Mark becoming a mermaid, Mark becoming a firefighter briefly, Rose exploring the future, and all the skill maxing we did.

BTW how would people about a reformatted trait explanation? The format of "Pros-Neutral-Cons-Overall" might be interesting and allows a proper analysis of the trait. All the information of the traits comes one of three places: Carls Sim Guide, the sims wiki, or in some cases the in game description. Some of it might not be reliable though, but I'll try to note the questionable stuff when it comes up.

Ambitious
Pros
Get promotions and raises faster than other sims
Get 15% more Lifetime Happiness points from fulfilling a wish or a lifetime wish
If you have Sims 3: Generations installed, ambitious sims are 10% more likely to experience a midlife crisis (yes I'd argue this a positive since you can just ignore midlife crisis wishes and it has no downsides, but fulfilling them grants a positive moodlet.)
Get wishes relating to high tier financial goals more often than other sims.
Elderly Ambitious sims often wish for their children reach a certain tier in a career they were a part of.
React positively when being asked about their careers, strangely even if their unemployed
According to the game they also excel at university.
Neutral
Ambitious children or teenagers sims will have possible future lifetime wishes appear more often.
Cons
Get 'Anxious to Advance' moodlet if it's been a while since they've received a raise/promotion or improved a skill.
Overall
This is a very good trait, one of the best in the game honestly. The extra lifetime happiness points are helpful and the bonus to careers is useful for sims that have a job. Always consider this on any sim you create. The 'Anxious to Advance' moodlet is kind of annoying but with either moodlet manager or just leveling a random skill from 0 to 1, it's a non-issue most of the time.

Also I'm considering adding an "experimental corner" where I put these traits to the test to see how much these traits actually effect things because a lot of the information i find is hearsay and peoples biased observation rather found by experiment or reading the game data. Even effects the game lists in the official description are questionable because the game is fairly poorly programed, particularly with traits that come from expansion packs.

Also I tried thoroughly proofreading this reply, how did I do?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Fantastic, you did well.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

weso12 posted:

Also I tried thoroughly proofreading this reply, how did I do?

Much better. I only spotted two big errors (and a handful of comma errors, but who cares about those). The last sentence of your first paragraph has a major mistake; I still got the meaning, but it took a moment. Also, you made a their/they're replacement. Other than that, much better.

The trait explanation looks really nice.

If the experimental corner is going to interfere with the story, don't bother with it. If it will give you a little variety to keep your interest in this high, or if it's something you want to do to break up pauses in the main LP, go for it.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Sorry for the delay in updates here have a somewhat short update:

To start things off: i added two new bedrooms, for the imaginary friends turned real. Since we now have 4 sims who have sleep needs, all of whom refuse to sleep with each other, the extra beds are necessary. Because I have money to blow, I decided to add the cheapest beds that have the highest sleep, comfort, and environment bonuses possible (basically meaning these are the highest quality beds at the lowest cost you can get them)

Also one of the kids wished for a seesaw so I complied for some extra lifetime happiness points.

Also I added an extra bathroom because with 4 kids, it was getting to the point where one was wanting to use the bathroom when the other was in there. This will hopefully reduce the clutter. Also I followed the "highest quality but lowest cost possible" rule when designing this bathroom.

So while searching through the town, I believe I was looking for fishing spots for Lucy at the time, I found this ghost stuck in the rocks. I've noticed prior to this the ghost was always an option for the moodlet manager when outside of the house, but to learn why is interesting. In case your wondering who she is, she's a random townie that caught on fire from being outside too long and died however many updates ago.

Also because I forgot to actually add the police station till now even though Anne has already moved out, granted she's still in the town so by the original challenge rules it's not exactly cheating I mean show the police station, here it is.

Darren is working on Fishing right now because I don't really have much else for him to do, since he can't work on Alchemy yet. I later had him work on the Blocks and Toy Oven to increase Handiness and Cooking respectively.

So I have all of Mark, Maria, and Susan working on Logic right now using telescopes. I'm using telescopes because telescopes are money makers unlike every other way to earn logic as far as I know.

So this might be against the spirit of the challenge, but I was checking the game's achievements and noticed I received a gift from EA. I know this is probably just randomly given during play, but I like to pretend that someone at EA noticed someone was still playing the Sims 3, and decided to give me a gift to me for my commitment.

The gift was a Vial of Opposite Personality. What it does, from what I understand is this: for every trait a sim has that has an incompatible trait associated with it, it will replace it with that. If that trait has two or more traits that are incompatible with it will randomize between them. If the trait has no incompatible traits it simply won't change.

So I probably shouldn't have done this but I was bored and decided it might be fun: I had Lucy drink it.

For reference here were Lucy traits before she drank the potion.

And here are her traits after she drank the potion. Hydrophobic became Loves to Swim, Good became Evil, Can't Stand Art became Artistic, Brave became Loser (for some reason Brave and Loser are mutually exclusive which is strange to me because I can imagine a Brave Loser, I'd imagine Coward be the more appropriate opposite here) and Frugal has no opposite so it didn't change.

So since I've already explained Loves to Swim, Loser, and Artistic, and Frugal didn't change. I only have one trait to explain:

Evil
Pros
Get a "Fiendishly Delighted" moodlet when bad things happen to other sims, including them dying
Don't mind a lack of light
Get a bonus to the criminal career track
More likely to win fights
If a mermaid has this trait they can summon Sharks
Get a slight fun boost from watching non-friends and non-household members die
Can steal candy from newborns and toddlers
Can pay money undermine charities once a day for a positive moodlet
Will often have wishes to visit the graveyard, see a ghost, or to see the ghost of a living sim (especially one they don't get along with)
Are Immune to the creepy graveyard moodlet and aren't scared of vampires or bugs.
Apparently can "Shakedown" other sims for money if you have Supernatural installed.
Never get the "Upset" moodlet when fighting with a friend or family member.
Often wish to befriend over Evil Sims upon discovering they both share the evil trait.
Neutral
Instead of being able to wish for world peace from the genie they can instead wish for world misery (neither of these wishes really do much so it's neutral)
If witches have this trait they can summon poisoned apples by command where as non-evil witches instead only summon regular apples
Evil Sims will always laugh when "mourning" a dying sim unless that Sims was a friend or part of the Household.
Sometimes when walking into a room, an Evil Sim will rub their hands together and laugh maniacally.
Cheer for Sims that are Emperors of Evil.
Autonomously "Shoo Off" cats on furniture, even if the cat is asleep.
Evil sims do a bunch of things "Evil" like "Take an Evil Shower" but that doesn't effect the actual interaction
Cons
Will autonomously be mean to other Sims when misfortune strikes the other sim.
Other Sims will be cautious around evil sims (IDK what this means though), Good sims or in the Law Enforcement career especially so.
Have a hard time befriending Unicorns and the relationship between Evil Sims and Unicorns relationship will decay faster.
Overall
This trait is mostly useful for excelling in the criminal career track honestly, the rest of it's effects are mostly flavor stuff.

So since Lucy now loves art instead of hating it. I had her work on painting for a little extra cash.

If you're wondering why Mark is exercising when he already maxed Athletics, it's because he's a celebrity (all the house is a celebrity at this point so their isn't much reason to point it out), and rolled the "Work out for 4 hours to boost your celebrity status" opportunity.

Also since Stacy has maxed Athletics and Logic as well and doesn't have much to do, I decided to have him join the Law Enforcement career. I know it's a little late because he could literially die at any moment but I did it for two other reason:

1. I'm like 30% to 50% sure Stacy is somewhat bugged and that he is never gonna freaking die (He's at 118 days or something ridiculous like that), I'll just kill him off myself if he lasts too long (I'm gonna use him manages to max the Law Enforcement career before he dies as a bench mark).

2. The extra money doesn't hurt.

Also since I have an excess of money (I was seriously at 170,000 simoleons) I decided to replace all the cheap stuff in my house with a bunch of expensive stuff. Again using the logic of "the best quality possible at the lowest possible prices". This means stuff is less likely to break and sims will not get negative moodlets from using cheap stuff and instead get positive moodlets from having expensive stuff. Overall it wasn't that expensive I was still well over the 100,000 simoleons mark, I think around 130,000.

For those that missed the horses, here's a random horse that was just hanging around the school.

Also I should point that Stacy, the elder man with a wife got a date request from Anne, a married younger woman and also his daughter-in-law.

So all four kids are doing well in school and all of them made honor roll

So Susan also made honor roll (she got the moodlet for it) but strangely i didn't get a notification for it, it wasn't a case of me forgetting to screenshot it was a case of the notification never came up.

So Lucy maxed Athletics just because I was bored and had her work on athletics as well, she also kept getting the celebrity opportunity "work out for 4 hours and boost your celebrity status" opportunity and no it's not just because there's nothing to do in my town, it's a common event regardless.

So we have 5 birthdays on the same day. (Well technically 4 birthdays for reasons I'll explain later).

Rose became an Adult instead of a young adult. For the 0 of you that care. (If your wondering why Mark didn't also age up it's because her time in the future aged her up a little bit more than Mark).

Brian became a teenager, gain some weight (I seriously don't know where that weight comes from I never overfeed him or anything). Which means we can finally use the moodlet manager on him and became a Supernatural skeptic.

Supernatural Skeptic
Pros
Perform better in the Business, Political, Law Enforcement and Journalism career paths.
Neutral
None
Cons
Learns Alchemy slower
Leans Spell casting slower
Get a negative moodlet from fortunes and elixirs (and strangely potions made from chemistry even though those are "Scientific" in nature.)
Do not like being around Supernatural Sims, or even SIms with the Supernatural Fan trait
Cannot write horror genre literature.
Get scared by Bonehilda. (But don't runaway unlike Coward sims)
Overall
Only useful if you're a sim in Business, Political, Law Enforcement, or Journalism otherwise stay away because it's all negative

So Maria also aged up, gained not as much weight, at the same time and became Brooding.

Brooding
Pros
Can "Consider the Hollowness of Life" and "Contemplate the Meaning of Maning", which slightly raise the Sim's social and fun bars. (Though they can't consider the hollowness of life when at critical social need)
Can talk about feelings as a romantic interaction
Can write Poetry without needing Writing skill level 7
Neutral
Get the "misunderstood" moodlet when in a fight
Will often autonomously look out windows in their home
When mourning on a grave, they don't cry but will contemplate about the deceased.
Cons
Painting, Cooking and Writing are learned at a 10% slower rate
When losing a friend their social need hits rock bottom, and will want to brood for several hours.
Basically have a hidden "Brooding" motive which means they have to brood for several hours when it gets low.
Take showers for 50% longer
Overall
This is a flavor traits that is actually really annoying. I would basically never recommend it under any circumstance.

So then Susan aged up and became adventurous

Adventurous
Pros
Get an adventuring moodlet while traveling or in a tomb.
Can travel again faster than other sims 28.8 hour wait instead of 2 days.
Gain visa levels 20% faster than other sims
Apparently take more time to get the "Stir Crazy" moodlet, 9 days apparently
Have wishes while in tombs more often than other sims: Such as "Fully explore a tomb", "Find a hidden door" etc.
Do not fear the traps in tombs.
Neutral
None
Cons
None!
Overall
Very useful for traveling sims. Recommended highly for such a sim. Other sims don't have much of a point for this trait however.

So then Darren aged up and became a Perfectionist. However as you can see by my intentional revealing of the time, it was after midnight since he had wait so long to age up, so he is now considered one day younger than the other three teenagers.

Perfectionist
Pros
Cleans more thoroughly
Paint more valuable painting, books written make more money, and food cooked is higher quality
Become better architects
Can point out flaws at any point in other sims.
Autonomously clean and stuff
Provide bonus to writing the Historical Genre (for some reason)
Neutral
Never autonomously express humiliation or embarrassment to other sims
Cons
Cleaning takes longer
Takes longer to paint, write books and cook.
Overall
This trait is useful for writers or painters because the extra time, they take is in fact saving you money because get more of a bonus in the money make then the time they take. (That is if that page I read on painting a long time ago is to be believed). Also the wiki words this trait weirdly it makes it sound like they take longer to learn the skill, which if the detailed painting guide I read is right is even remotely true nor does it seem accurate based on the game description.

So Alien abductions are a thing, they were added in sims 3 season. The odds of getting abducted are interesting: the base odds per is only 2%. However using a telescope that day increases the odds by 13% and for every space rock you collect up to 2, it increases the odds by 37.5% each, for a maximum total of 90%. For female sims (and I'm guessing teenagers in general). Getting abducted doesn't do much, just a small 12 hour negative moodlet you can moodlet manager away. But for male adult sims this event is quite interesting but I'll get into that when it happens. Note this event combined with another few tricks will allow you to break the game without cheating. I might go into it much later in a future update, whether I do that myself, I haven't decided.

So I had Maria work on her athletics, I did cardio to get her thinner, yes I'm seriously doing this to a virtual teenager who's fat was literially out of her control when i'm obese myself, I'm a hypocritical monster.

I had Brian work on charisma since that's the one skill he needs for city hall.

I had Darren work on Alchemy and Susan work on music. And Stacy's working from home right now and I was wrong about something earlier, working from home does earn you money you just don't get a notification about it or anything for some reason.

So another random townie/paparazzo caught fire from being outside for too long and died.

And Darren locked in his Life time wish of maxed alchemy and using 50 elixirs, shouldn't be too hard.

Also bought Permanent Mermaid with Marks Lifetime reward points this means he doesn't have to worried about needing salt water or anything.

Also Brian bought the "Fast Metabolism" lifetime reward to help him slim down a bit.

Rose also bought the Body Sculptor which is a superficial life time reward: it makes a sim as bulky, thin, fat or weak-looking as you desire (within the game limitations, you can't really make a She-Hulk or anything like that.).

Here's what the Body sculptor looks likes for those that are curious.

Also Mark became a full blown adult as well, no longer a young adult.

And got a midlife crisis. I'd say "gently caress" but midlife crisis are actually a good thing.

That's the end of the update I thoroughly proofread as much as I could, though they are probably still typos feel free to point them out. I even used a "Text to Speech" feature on my computer to make sure they weren't any obvious missing works or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Aaaan now I'm an evil fairy. Well, there's precedent for that in old stories, at least. :sparkles:

Also I find it amusing that everything an evil sim does just has the word "evil" in front of it. Drink an evil espresso!

• Locked thread