Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student

(Banner made by GamesareSupernice)

Hello welcome to my sims 3 nothing is free challenge. Before I start just to answer a few questions:

Who am I?

I'm just an autistic community college student with no life and little motivation to do school work, who enjoys playing sims and other video games in his copious spare time.

This is my first LP so please don't be too mean (but I do want honest feedback and stuff)

Why the Sims 3? The Sims 4 is out idiot and has been out for years

Well they are a few reasons for this:

1. Sunk cost, I already have all the expansion packs and stuff packs for the sims 3 (Yes even that stupid Katy Perry one, I was really impulsive with money), and I don't have the sims 4

2. I have a rather poo poo computer, and while the sims 3 runs fine on it (it does get laggy at times) I worry about the sims 4 it would probably be fine (I get the impression the sims 4 is not a high specs game, though I haven't looked at the exact specs)

3. Based on what i heard about the sims 4, the sims 3 is probably the better game, and I like the seamless overworld and stuff.

What's this challenge? Why this challenge, I've never heard of it before and any challenges I never heard of must suck

First off here are the rules to the challenge:

http://modthesims.info/t/468464

TL;DR: Start in a world with nothing in it, unlock buidings by completing certain money and skill requirements.

Because I like it, I've done it a few times before, and it creates an interesting dynamic of starting from nothing and build an entire town up. Also I get no lag period when I do this challenge so that's nice.

Are you playing the straight forward are you making modifications to rules

Not modifying the rules in the sense I'm removing any rules but I am adding some self impossed restrictions and also the challenge gives flexibility in play, so I'll specify those here:

1. Since the challenge allows you to customize seasons however you wish, I'm making it so that it's summer all the time. Winter makes it so you can't garden and freshwater is frozen gimping gardening and fishing hardcore, this also happens what feel likes half the time in spring and fall, I'd uninstall seasons but I'm not going to that for some reason. Aging will be normal, as will phases of the moon.

2. I'll be staying in one household the entire time, this is less of a restriction and more of how i prefer to play this. This will be also be legacy style (not in the strictest sense), where we'll basically have a founder who has kids, then all but one of kids move out when they become adults (though i'm not moving them out till they unlock their building), then the kids that stays has their own kids and so on and so forth.

3. I'm banning the age freeze life time reward to avoid the temptation to keep previous generations around forever. Moodlet manager despite being broken is allowed however because honestly moodlet manager makes the game funner for me. The inheritance life time reward is banned by the challenge rules, as is wishing for money by the genie.

4. I'm banning birthday cake to age up sims. Just because it feels cheap to ignore the baby phase by just aging them right up when they are born even though there is no benefit keeping them babies

5. On that note I'm randomizing traits, except for the starting sim, in order to force me to improvise, which building to make and stuff.

6. However a small rule I'm adding is that I have to at least attempt to teach toddlers how to walk, talk and use the potty before the age up. I might fail we have triplets or something but who knows.

6. I'm randomized the gender of imaginary friends, in order to make sure that when/if i make them real they won't nescarrily be that sims spouse. I don't want the sims spouse be their imaginary friend turned real every generation after the first which is what usually happens to me.

How much are you gonna explain

I'll try to explain as much as I can without going overboard in tutorial corner if I'm doing a specific trick or something I'll explain it as much as i can but I won't teach you how to play the game or anything.

It seems this challenge as no definite ending date, how do you decide when the LP is over?

First off this is a long challenge so I don't expect this to end any time soon. But i do plan to end when I have one copy of every rabbit whole and other lot. (This excludes fusion lots though like the Bookstore/Spa Combo)

So that makes the checklist

Criminal Warehouse ( )
Bistro ( )
Bookstore (Completed by Gwennie Callow)
Day Spa ( )
Diner ( )
Grocery Store (Completed by Cody Callow)
Hospital ( )
Office Building ( )
Science Lab ( )
Stadium ( )
Theater ( )
City Hall ( )
Graveyard ( )
Military Base ( )
Police Department (Completed by Anne Callow)
School (Completed by Daniel Callow)
Art Gallery ( )
Beach (Completed by Stacy Callow)
Big Park (Completed by Rose Callow)
Fishing SPot ( )
Gym ( )
Library ( )
Pool ( )
Small Park ( )
Academy ( )
Chinese Garden ( )
Nectary ( )
Consignment Shop ( )
Fire Station (Completed by Mark Callow)
Hangout ( )
Junkyard ( )
Laundromant ( )
Salon ( )
Film Studio ( )
Disco CLub ( )
Dance Club ( ) (Yes I"m counting all these separately I"m that insane)
Poolside Club ( )
Sports Bar ( )
Local Watering Hole ( )
Dive Bar ( )
Fusion Lounge ( )
Vampire Lounge ( )
Exclusive Lounge ( )
Equestrian Center ( )
Cat Jungle ( )
Dog Park ( )
Horse Ranch ( )
(I don't have have a pet shop thing)
Coffeehouse ( )
Live Show Venue ( )
Private Venue ( )
Big SHow Venue ( )
Arboretum (Completed by Lucy Callow)
Gypsy Wagon ( )
Vault of Antiquity ( )
Elixir Consignment Store ( )
Supernatural Hangout ( )
Festival Grounds ( )
Administration Center ( )
School of Art ( )
School of Businnes ( )
School of Science ( )
Stadium and Annex ( )
Arcade ( )
Java Hut ( )
Nerd Shop ( )
Rebel Hangout ( )
Student Union ( )
University Hangout ( )
Resort ( )
Diving Area ( )
Obseratory ( )
Bot Arena ( )
Bot Emporium ( )
Cafeteria ( )
Gallery Shop ( )
Business Park ( )
Wasteland ( )
Future Lounge ( )
Dried up Beach ( )
What about expansion packs how many of those do you have

I have all of them installed as mentioned early along with all stuff packs and some random store stuff, I was really impulsive with money when i was younger (Still kind of am).

What about mods what about those?

I had a bunch of mods installed on my sims 3 save file (Mostly nraas stuff) but this for challenge I am removing ALL OF THEM (except Nraas_Saver but that's literially just an autosave mod and doesn't effect gameplay), so your getting the "complete and pure" sims 3 experience.

What's your spoiler policy?

Um... this is the sims, they are no spoilers AFAIK, I guess no discussing spoilers of other things.

What about audience participation?

Well that's simple I'm gonna have you guys decide what lot a specific sim is gonna unlock. Also I need some names for the sims since I'm awful at names. Just give me some male and female names and I'll add them to the list.

Current Vote
NONE!
Baby names are always welcome

Current Baby Names on the List

Male
Daniel
Mark
Brian
Darren
George
Eponymous
Peter
Edmund
Caspian
Eustace
Digory
Shasta
Alexander
Adrian
Andreas
Cedric
Jordan
Benjamin
Basil

Female
Lucy
Anne
Rose
Maria
Susan
Jill
Polly
Aravis
Sarah
Maryan
Layla
Stella
Jasmine
Vera
Emily
Mireya
Catherine
Rosemary
Saffron
Ginger
Pepper
Cinnamon

Updates

Update #1
Update #2
Update #3
Update #4
Update #5
Update #6
Update #7
Update #8
Update #9
Update #10
Update #11
Update #12

Sim Profiles

Cody Callow (Deceased as of Update #7)
Life Time Wish: The Perfect Garden (Completed)
Building Goal: Grocery Store (Completed)
Favorites: Waffles, Electronica, Red
Sign: Leo
Spouse: Gwennie Callow
Children: Lucy Callow
Traits:
Ambitious
Green Thumb
Loves the Outdoors
Natural Cook
Over Emotional

Gwennie Peach Callow (Deceased as of Update #4, Functionally Resurrected in Update #6, Permanently Dead in Update #10)
Life Time Wish: Star News Anchor Professional Author (Completed)
Building Goal: Book Store (Completed after Ressurection)
Favorites: Indie, Key Lime Pie, Aqua
Sign: Gemini
Spouse: Cody Callow
Children: Lucy Callow
Traits:
Slob
Easily Impressed
Artistic
Lucky
Dislikes Children

Lucy Callow
Occult State: Fairy
Life Time Wish: Greener Gardens (Completed)
Building Goal: Arboretum (Completed)
Favorites: Disco, Autumn Salad, Yellow
Sign: Scorpio
Parents: Cody Callow, Gwennie Callow
Spouse: Stacy Callow
Children: Daniel Callow, Mark Callow
Traits:
Hydrophobic Loves to swim
Brave Loser
Can't Stand Art Artistic
Good Evil
Frugal

Stacy Cantrell Callow
Life Time Wish: Sea Side Savior Perfect Mind, Perfect Body (Completed)
Building Goal: Beach (Completed)
Favorites: Spooky, Shawarma, Yellow
Spouse: Lucy Callow
Children: Daniel Callow, Mark Callow
Traits:
Slob
Workaholic
Nurturing
Heavy Sleeper
Athletic

Daniel Callow (Moved out in Update #11)
Life Time Wish: Renaissance Sim
Building Goal: School
Favorites: DigiTunes, Falafel, Lilac
Parents: Stacy Callow, Lucy Callow
Sibling: Mark Callow
Wife & Former Imaginary Friend: Anne Callow
Traits:
Grumpy
Couch Potato Rebellious Clumsy Insane Clumsy
Unstable
None Green Thumb
Diva

Mark Callow
Life Time Wish: Renaissance Sim (Completed)
Building Goal: Fire Station (Completed)
Favorites: Country Music, Vegetarian Lobster Thermidor Kalp, Sea Foam (I think the screenshot I took makes it hard to tell if it's white or sea foam)
Parents: Stacy Callow, Lucy Callow
Sibling: Daniel Callow
Wife & Former Imaginary Friend: Rose Callow
Children: Maria Callow, Brian Callow
Traits:
Loner
Athletic
Snob
Nurturing
Rebellious

Anne Callow (Moved out in Update #11)
Occult State: Imaginary Friend
Life Time Wish: Renaissance Sim (Completed)
Building Goal: Police Station (Completed)
Favorites: Country, Lobster Thermidor, Spice Brown
Sign: Pieces
Husband & Former Real Friend: Daniel Callow
Traits:
Couch Potato
Light Sleeper
Coward
Mean Spirited
Kleptomanic

Rose Callow
Life Time Wish: Renaissance Sim
Building Goal: Big park
Favorites: Pop, Fruit Parfait, Grey
Sign: Sagittarius
Husband & Former Real Friend: Mark Callow
Children: Maria Callow, Brian Callow
Traits:
Excitable
Daredevil
Never Nude
Dog Person
Over-emotional

Maria Callow
Life Time Wish: N/A
Building Goal: N/A
Favorites: Geek Rock, Veggie Burger, Purple
Sign: Leo
Parents: Mark Callow, Rose Callow
Twin: Brian Callow
Former Imaginary Friend: Darren Callow
Traits:
Hydrophobic
Loves the Heat
Loser
Brooding

Brian Callow
Occult State: imaginary Friend
Building Goal: N/A
Favorites: Rockabilly, Fish and Chips, Turquoise
Sign: Aries
Parents: Mark Callow, Rose Callow
Twin: Maria Callow
Former Imaginary Friend: Susan Callow
Traits:
Hydrophobic
Eccentric
Equestrian
Supernatural Skeptic

Darren Callow
Life TIme Wish: N/A
Building Goal:
Favorites: Classical, Veggi Rolls, Lime
Sign: Sagittarius
Former Real Friend: Maria Callow
Traits:
Loves to Swim
Night Owl
Eccentric
Perfectionist

Susan Callow
Building Goal: Theater
Favorites: Island Life, Firecracker Tofu, Turquoise (I think could be Aqua)
Sign: Cancer
Traits:
Good Sense of Humor
Inappropriate
Neat
Adventurous

weso12 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Reserved incase I go beyond the character limit and stuff in future edits.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

MythosDragon posted:

I remember reading some Sims Lps when I first found the archive, I remember enjoying them quite a bit, so good luck with this.

Gonna do any narrativey stuff? I think that lends itself really well to simulation games.

Thank you I orginally wasn't gonna to narrative stuff but I think I might do some actually, I'll see what I can do.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

John Lee posted:

If you don't already have the knack for putting together a narrative, it might be best to go with a third-party-observer sort of thing. e.g. "Cody doesn't think this is very nice. . ."

It can be a drag on the LP to have poorly-crafted narrative, and a drag on the author to feel forced to make interesting narrative when they didn't get much material.

Will definitely keep that in mind okay time for an actual update.

Everything I say will be in italics other than narrative stuff

The sims 3 changes the opening screen to be the one most recent expansion pack you installed as AFAIK excluding mods there is no way to change it

I decided to go to Barnacle Bay because I have it, and I don't think I've used it before so why not, with an except of the areas with diving spots (because theirs no way to delete them as far as I know) anywhere works for this challenge,

Here's barnacle bay (at least the main hub, the entire town doesn't fit in one screen shot), you see all of this, I delete everything of it manually, which is a tedious process of using the dumpster tool on a spot, waiting for the game to process it, then dumpstering that spot again, to get rid of the plot and waitng for the game to process that.

After about maybe half an hour, not counting interruptions my project was complete, every lot (except for one empty plot which I added for the starting sim) was gone

Meet, Cody Callow son of a farmer, an ambitious sim, who loves the outdoors, who has a green thumb, a knack for cooking, but can sometimes overreact. This life time wish is to have a perfect garden, but beyond that he has one REAL goal, to rebuild the town of Barnacle Bay, after a great tsunami destroyed the town, people have to been too terrified to rebuild but Cody knows it's time to do so, his grandfather was the last survivor of the Barnacle Bay, told him wonderful stories of the area and Cody wants that environment for his future generations. Cody Callow know's rebuilding will take longer than this lifetime but he hopes he can leave his descended a good start.

These traits were min-maxed to the best I possibly could.

Ambitious increases life time happiness points by 15%, this includes life wishes so it's pretty useful in getting cool stuff early on, name the moodlet manager, the single most op lifetime reward in the game, and no it's not banned

Green Thumb is obvious, it increases the speed of his gardening and allows him to revive dead plants, if you have a gardening sim, you should give them thing

Loves the Outdoors only purpose is to give him a positive moodlet everytime he's outdoors.

Natural Cook is probably the oddball trait here, I only added it because a. cooking is basically nescarry in early game so getting a boost to that is nice. and b. having natural means your stove will never catch fire due to cooking so if you don't want to die super early due to a housefire (which is unlikely i know) this might be helpful.

Overemotional increases the bonus and penalty of positive and negative moodlets, since they are genearlly more postive moodlets than negative it's usually worth it

The Perfect Garden lifetime wish isn't gonna be that easy but honestly isn't that hard, should be completable during his life time

Side note: if anyone can properly indentify the pants on his outwear I will be incredibly impressed they are basically the only thing on the outfit i changed the color of from the default

Cody looks around this empty plot he bought in the middle of nowhere, and decided that was needed to build a house in order to succeed, unfortunately the land he bought was quite small, perhaps he underestimated the size, maybe he should have splurged for a little bigger but whatever it was too late now. Here he stood

After pay people for construction after a couple months the house was finally complete

Side note: Time for weso12's pro tips involving the sims, normally wallpaper and floor tiles cost money, and you need them to avoid a negative moodlet everything a sim enters the house, but not all of them cost money, go to miscellaneous or all in the build mode and at the very top you'll notice 0$ wallpeper and tilling, if you don't care what your house looks like it's fantastic, especially since i was on a budget here

Cody decided to use egyptian gates for the garden he plans to grow , because some egyptian merchant gave it to him for shockingly cheap.

Another side note: Why on earth are the egyptian themed gates the cheapest gates that aren't like one inch tall.

Also there is a good reason i have a gate for my garden it isn't just for flavor.

Cody also bought a cheap computer, for aside from his cell phone, it was the only connection to the outside world from here

I primarily bought the computer for future use, and also entertainment boosts

The strangest thing cody bought was alchemy kit, his mother was a praticer of this dark art and she encouraged him that it might be useful.

There's a reason i bought this now you'll see soon enough

He also bought an old crappy tv, and a cheap table with some chairs for guests, who ever those might be in the middle of nowhere.

Finally comes the kitchen, the stove was a last minute addition, which is silly considering how important stoves are for cooking,

BTW i forgot to take a screenshot of the bedroom but you might have noticed that the bed isn't the cheapest bed, there's a reason for this, it's simply because i decided to splurge for a bed that's a fantastic deal, for anyone else still playing the sims 3, keep this bed in mind:

notice the 7 energy keep in mind energy ranges, from like 3 to 10, that 560 is really cheap for a bed for reference compared to identical cost single person bed

4 energy and no environment aside from space there is no reason not to buy the Suite Dreams Bed over the Sumble Saddle. Whats strange that aside from this single bed, energy recover is fairly linear with cost, but this one bed is a great deal. I'm guessing the bed was originally designed to be more expensive but they decided to cheapen based on it's looks but then they forgot to change the energy recovered and stuff to accommodate.

So cody decided to take his move advice and decided to study so alchemy after a brief amount of study and learning how to create the basic vial of bliss, something strange happened

Some weird components just magically appeared in his pockets, this was great he finally had plants to grow for the garden he planned to have and at the same time freaked him out, encouraging him to stay away from alchemy

Incase it isn't obvious when you learn the first level of alchemy certain plants show up in your inventory, this the easiest way i know of to get gardening material without a town, other than randomly looking for seeds but that's unreliable

So cody got to work and started his garden but once he finished planting, something even stranger happened to him

Some seeds, were found in his pocket "must of bought them and forgot about them" thought Cody. So cody had more work to do.

Incase it isn't also obvious you get some seeds (note they are seeds despite sharing appearance with the food they come from), from learning the gardening skill as well, but since the only way as far as I know to learn the gardening skill is to plant (and read the gardening skill book, but we won't have access to that until we create a book store.

The moment after he planted all of his new seeds, a lady in a mascot costume came out and offered him a college program. Maybe it was a way to show concern and telling him he should really get out of here but he politely turned her down, he didn't need college, this is where he belonged.

If you university installed, this happens every time you start a new game, it's honestly kind of annoying, I would have had my sim married her but the problem was both times I've married a university mascot, they were adults rather than young adults which means like time to skill and stuff.

Side note this is the first time I've gotten a female mascot.

Also something strange is that a portal came from nowhere, going who knows where. Perhaps it was a sign from the universe it self he shouldn't be here but again, he knew this area was where he belonged.

If you have Into the future installed this shows up when you start a new game, again kind of annoying but necessary

Surprisingly despite being abandon there is one pizza place, that delivered here, maybe leftover from when this place used to have people. Despite having natural talent Cody had never cooked before so he decided to rely on pizza the first couple of days, at while waiting for the stove to properly install

I mainly ordered pizza, in hopes of a female pizza deliver it's 50/50 iirc but i got the same male one all three times i ordered

It seems like barnacle bay is populated by horses now, they mostly huddled around Cody's house for some reason perhaps they were curious that human decided to build here after so much time

So during his copious free time (there was only so much time he could do in the garden), Cody decided to learn to cook from a cook instead of practice as he felt that was safer, besides he had plenty of leftover pizza.

After Cody took his second shower (probably unnescarry but showers gave him plenty of time to think), the shower broke, Cody immediately searched to see if a repair service would be willing to come out this far to fix the problem luckily he found one

I might have rigged this so I have an excuse to call the repair person, so i have a better chance to find a wife :)

He didn't get a good look at the repair woman fixing the shower but he got a good luck at her, she was the most beautiful woman he ever saw. He knew right then and there she would be his wife.

That night he decided to text this repair woman, who name name he latter learned was Gwennie, they texted back and forth for hours, and eventually the two became fast friends

The next day he invited her over, not to work but as a friend, he then exchanged some brief flirting which she responded well too. He told her about why he was here what he wanted to do and how he quickly fell in love the moment he saw, instead of running away Gwennie was charmed by this, but nothing prepared her for what he planned next.

He proposed to her, and in a surprise twist, she actually said yes, she knew it was crazy but trying to rebuild a city like this seems like an interesting idea. And it's not like she much going on at home just a crappy repair job, and an apartment with like 5 roommates. So any change of pace would be nice, besides this Cody guy had a naive charm to him, it was crazy but it just might work.

They both agreed doing a fancy wedding was unnecessary so they decided to just elope on the spot, and have her move in right away, Some extended family gave her some wedding money and such, but it wasn't much.

While this was all happening a horse managed to sneak into the garden somehow and eat some the crops

I have no idea how this happened, i spefically locked the gate to be household only but the wild horse got in, i'm guessing it clipped through while i wasn't looking now it's stuck there.

Remember how i said I was avoiding mascots because of there age

gently caress, hopefully i can one or two babies out of her before she turned elders (female elders can't have kids), I had her try for a baby a few times already but i didn't hear the noise but i know sometimes it doesn't play but there is one thing to be thankful about her

Maxed Handiness and half-maxed writing, I will be taking advantage of at least on of them (the rules aren't explicit on the situation but i get the impression that the sim needs to have the skill not that you spefically need to earn them)

As for which building she unlocks I'm giving you guys only three options due to her advanced age

Her traits (Incase you missed them in the screenshot above are Slob, Dislikes Children (sigh...), Easily Impressed, Artistic and Lucky.) Her life time wish is the reporter one but that's not happening, so I'm gonna change it eventually depending on what you guys decide.

1. Bookstore - Maxed Writing, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($27,000)

2. Military Base - Maxed Handiness and Athletics (no money requirement).

3. Fire Station - Maxed Athletics and Handiness (no money requirement).

Also just a reminder I still need baby names, so please give baby names for both boys and girls when they eventually do have kids.

weso12 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 19, 2017

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I appreciate you going through with the LP regardless of your hesitation, and I admire your OP. Putting yourself out there and being honest about what you want and why you want it is commendable. I'm a sucker for anybody who's blatant about their intentions.

I made these in case you wanted a different banner, but I don't expect you to use them, so don't feel pressured.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing Sims 3 for the first time.

Okay thanks for the banners, I changed my banners to yours already dude I appreciate it's far better than anything I can do.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

MythosDragon posted:

In games without dialogue I find narrative helps alot. No need to go for a big one just use it to inspire some jokes and see if you enjoy it, if you dont enjoy it, say its not for you and stop, yeah?

Anyway I chuckled a bit so off to a good start.

Got it thanks for the feedback. I'll see if I can improve next time.

BTW, expect an update sometime tonight, probably relatively late since these posts take time to make and I obviously haven't played any further yet.

If I don't get any votes for the building Gwennie is suppose to unlock by the time I start playing I'm gonna random.org it between the three.

Also I need baby names as well, if i don't get names, random name generator.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Finally after what I assume was much anticapation my second update to the LP is finally here

So Gwennie and Cody were enjoying their sleep in the middle in the night

But unbeknownst to them there was a thief in their house, who stole their cabinet.

Side note robberies seem like they are actually rare in the sims 3, so this is unusual situation for me

Who also decided to steal that garbage plants that were eaten by the horse

When Gwennie woke up, she just saw the women standing their in burgarly close, and decided to ignore, and the random stray cat that entered the house, and make some burnt waffles.

She was even nice enough to wash a dish for Gwennie, what a thoughtful robber.

I swear the only mod i have installed is the autosaving mod, which shouldn't be causing this

After that strangeness, Gwennie decided she should continue path down writing, she started with trash novels but quickly found general fiction more her speed

For those curious I just used the default titles, the books she's written so far are, that i have screenshotted (they are more I forgot to make note of them though)

Driving with Duckies 1-3 (I spefically remember Driving with Duckies 3 not doing well so might be end of the Driving with Duckies saga)

Subtle Satin Sheets

Elvis was a Day Trader

Grunenwald: Origins of a Nightmare 1 & 2

Day Dreamer

Then some other strangeness happened a horse magically appeared in the house. It last there a while, eventually the family had to make a whole in the wall to let the poor horse out the house

In case it isn't obvious the horse, clipped through the walled and IDK why this was far from the only horse that did this, first was the one that ate my plants in the garden

At one point I had not one but two horses in the bathroom.

The Sims 3 is a very buggy game if you didn't know

Eventually I did two things in attempt to resolve this

First one was unchecked "Pets" in the demographics options not sure if that did anything but I feel like an idiot now because I geniually didn't notice the "Horses" option till i uploaded this screen should, I should really unchecked that when the i play the game again.

My second solution was to first off

Yes this techinally cheating but if it's cheating to resolve a bug, I think it's fine

After you type that cheat, hold shift to unlock the cheat options and the one i want to take advantage of here is

That's right I'm manually deleted the horse, it takes far less type, and doesn't cost money than the other option of deleting the wall and waiting for it to leae

Strangely enough throughout this entire time the robber just stood out of the corner of the property

I tried calling the police to see what happens, he just said the robber got away, I didn't delete her because she's not doing anything.

Eventually Cody's garden grew from being a minor project to overwhelming, all of his time was spent in the garden, except for trying to have a baby.

Even though it was hard eventually she got pregant, and after nine breezy month, Gwennie gave birth

Yeah I was irresponsible here I forgot to any good pictures of Gwennie's pregancy

Eventually Gwennie gave birth to a beautiful baby girl (which what both parents wanted) they decided to name Lucy while she is afraid of the water, she is quite brave in other respects.

BTW I feel I should probably go over what these traits actually do so you actually know I already went over Cody's traits but I haven't gone over Gwennie's i'll do her

Slob: Slobs get no negative moodlet for having minimum hygene (though they have one for the moodlet if their hygiene is low but not at minimum, which is strange, oversight perhaps). Can lick plates clean to fill up hunger. Also can eat bad food without complaining. Based on personal observation sims with trait also are less likely to do autonomous cleaning actions which makes sense

Dislikes Children: This is strictly an annoyance of a trait. You get a negative moodlet from being around children. Apparently this also allows them to reject social interaction with children and the ability to shoo them as well but I don't have too much experience with it. Also based on personal observation sims with this trait will also be less likely to autonomous child care.

Artistic: This trait does a few things actually, first off it grants a boost to the painting skill, but it also grants a smaller boost to the instruments, writing (which will be helpful here), photography, sculpting and I THINK inventing. Also it apparently increases the moodlet bonus of having a highly decorated house, so that might be useful

Easily Impressed: AFAIK all this trait does is make it more likely to get the impressed moodlet.

Lucky: This trait does a bunch apparently and aside from sims randomly waking up feeling lucky (which grants a +5 mood boost for 24 hours) all it's effects are passive, and such considering the rush job of programing this game is hard to prove if it does anything, it apparently makes you less likely to get robbed, get good results from career events, more likely to get raises at work, less likely to robbed (yet the first time i get robbed in ages is with a lucky sim in the house go figure), and more likely to win games, strangely including games with no luck element like chess.

Hydrophobic: This trait will make your sim refuse to swim on the bright side you won't have to worry about dying from drowning but you almost never have worry about. Apparently this trait also makes them reluctant to take showers and bath, and cry after doing so I'll keep that in mind for later and see if catch that.

Brave: Apparently what this trait does is make sims not freak out when they see fires, and are willing to fight burglars and stuff. Apparently this also grants a boost in the Law Enforcement and Military track not that's relevant here. Speaking of not relevant here, if you're ever playing this game with world adventurers apparently this trait is useful for exploring tombs as they just shrug off traps and stuff.

So now being a world without a journalism area, Gwennie quickly realized her dream of being a top journalist wasn't gonna happen so she changed to her dream to being a successful author.

I don't have a poll for next time, because I want to wait til Lucy is at least child before deciding which building she gonna unlock but besides that even though I have good amount of names more names doesn't hurt.

Also it took me like 6 times for Gwennie to become pregant i assume the noise just didn't play at first. But i tried try for a baby a few more times and eventually i got the noise (I thought the rate was 75% did they add a realistic mechanic where a womens fertitily gets worse as she gets older or something).

It's literially gwennie's birthday but i'm gonna see if I can delay it by getting pregant again, the try for a baby option is avaible i thought they patched out the exploit where you could try for babies on birthday delaying a womens age up for a while but maybe a mod i had fixed that.

weso12 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 20, 2017

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

oldskool posted:

How dare you delete that house horse

If anything you should let more animals in the house.

While I'd prefer to not deal with house wild animals (heck i'm not a huge fan of having pets in the sims), it could be a fun challenge for a future generation to have to deal with a bunch of animals being inside the house, but I'll save it for down the line.

Mzbundifund posted:

I can see why being brave would help

Lol my typo (edited in the post), thanks for pointing it out, if you guys didn't notice i'm pretty bad about typos and stuff like that so maybe pointing them out to me makes me more self conscious about them in the future. in the future.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

LucyWanabe posted:

It's really amusing how much animal traffic the house is getting. Many horses, a cat, and I'm pretty sure I saw some deer in a screenshot.
Yeah they are deers. Thankfully the deer never broke into the house they just wonder around outside of it.

I also got a few racoons as well, they knock over the trash a lot which is kind of annoying but since it's not really buggy i'm not deleted them.

Strangely no dogs and only one stray cat though (do stray dogs even exist in the sims 3?).

I'm guessing what's happening from game standpoint is since this only lot in town all these animals are just spawning kind of wandering the lot so I guess it's kind my fault, maybe i should have kept some empty (Vistors Allowed) or (No Vistors Allowed) lots to even it out it would have been allowed by the challenge. I'm not excusing the game for the horses clipping through the wall though, that something that just shouldn't happen period. Also strange is that the horses didn't really clip through the wall till gwennie moved in as far i can remember, they existed just didn't clip through the wall. I've also noticed my stuff breaking more despite her having the lucky trait (which isn't a big deal though because you know she has max handiness and all) maybe she's the cause of all my problems.

Also expect another update late tonight. I'm gonna try to update everyday. Unless I'm out of town or something.

weso12 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 20, 2017

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Okay time for an update, i procrasted on this one for like two hours for some reason

First off

Unfornately, Gwennie hit menopause to fast before Gwennie and Cody had an opportunity have another kid. Taking care of Lucy, Cody's garden and Gwennie's writing took up a lot of time.

However something strange happened that night, apparently the town of barnacle bay is infested with zombies of the former residents who lived their prior to the tsunami.

While these zombies would normally attack their plants and also attack them, thankfully Gwennie and Cody managed to lock the doors to the house and the gate to the garden

Yeah that's why I had the gate installed and made only people in my household can enter, instead of being able to eat my crops the zombies just complain the gate is in their way and stand there

BTW I turned off the horses in story progession hopefully that reduces the numbers of horses spawning by house, I didn't get a single horse clip through the wall though they were plenty that surrounded the house, a deer got into the garden but I can flavorfully justify that and the deers don't seem to eat garden plants or at least this one didn't

Not long after the zombie attack, little lucy learned to crawl, she was quickly growing, resembling her mother in skin tone and such.

translation: Lucy became a toddler

Also for some reason she quickly changed outfits, into this rather skimpy for a freaking toddler outfit, i was just lazy to change it

Not long after little lucy learned to crawl, it was cody's birthday he didn't feel much older, but this change in age made him consider the passage of time what's best for his family and the like.

translation, Cody became an adult (rather than a young adult) and got a mid-life crisis.

The difference between young-adult and adult is trivial, there is no visual difference or anything that most people would notice (I might have actually swapped the young adult and adult images above, no one will ever know) it was just a way for the creators to have the "adult" phase be both long enough that it makes sense and not have one life phase be incredibly long compared to the others.

Also with the expansion pack of "The Sims 3 Generations". They added a mechanic called mid-life crisis, it's honestly not as bad as it sounds, it lasts for about 6 days and what happens if during this time your sim will get wishes associated with their mid-life crisis (these wishes will be incredibly obvious, they have purple surrounding them and everything), these are things like "move", "change appearance", "buy a new car worth at least a certain amount", they are worth extra life time happeniness points you can cancel these wishes before you lock them in, but if you lock them in you can't cancel them til after the midlife crisis is over. Depending on the amount of tasks you do your sim will get a better moodlet after the midlife crisis (the one for doing any is neutral so it's not like your punished for ignoring it)

First off Cody decided he needed a new appearance, so he decided that making this overalls slightly brighter was clearly the best choice of action

This seriously qualified for the "changing your appearance" wish

Second off cody decided to do some cardio to work that excess fat he totally has.

Side note his atheletics skill was seemingly moving REALLY slowly while working out with the TV, does the quality tv affect work out quality or something?

Another side note: I should probably mention something: from what i understand: the way sims loses and gain fat and muscle works like this: Your sim gains fat by eating when your sim is full (it's actually really rare to have your sim gain fat unless you want them to), your sim loses fat by cardio exercise, and your sim gains muscle by strength exercise, I don't think there is a way to lose muscle (except for one pointless lifetime reward).

Cody also decided that he needed some facial hair, so he grew as much as he could grow: a five o'clock shadow that's totally visible in normal gameplay

I believe that cody also rolled wishes to move, divorce Gwennie, buy a car over 10,000 simeleons, and buy something over 1000 simeleons, I ignored the first one because self imposed rule (which I'm gonna have to ignore later if I want to do riding, so I'll have to move to a bigger lot), I ignored the second because I still want gwennie to unlock a lot and I'm not if you divorce they automatically move out or not, and I didn't do the last two because I didn't want to make needless purchases because I'm saving my money for the bookstore AND grocery store).

I have to tell you guys about this sorry about the not the great screenshot, but what happened was this. So I had Cody dipose all dead plants and they were a decent amount, and he would have to go back and forth dispoing them one by one, but every time he did that the raccoon would knock over the trash can, meaning that everytime he would dispose a dead plant he'd have to drop the dead plant on the ground to pick up the trash can, pick up the trash can, grab the dead plant again and put it in the trash can it was fun watching the two struggle . Also every time the raccoon knocked over the trashcan a bundle of garbage would come out so I had to drag that trash into the garbage can again over and over again.

Also for reason, when emptying the potty chair. Cody decided to leave the property take a taxi somewhere, i decided to follow him to see what was happening and how far this would go,
so he look this taxi to the....

ocean where he took a water taxi...

Onto this edge of the map, he brief got out of the taxi just stood their with an invisible little poop bag (Sorry didn't take a picture of this it happened so quickly i couldn't process this)

Then went all the way back home to dispose the poop bag in the trash, I'm guess something hosed up happen in his path finding algorithm.

After learning to walk, talk and use the potty, the years flew by and Lucy became a child.

And suddenly grew a distace for the arts

I should probably explain this trait like I have all the others:

Can't Stand Art is the opposite of artistic you can't have a sim with both (though I think theirs one sim in sunset valley graveyard who has both, so if you're creative you can have a sim like that in your house). It's a strange trait in that it's not a trait unlike all the others I can't imagine a real person having, who the gently caress actively dislikes arts, I don't mean apathetic to art or doesn't "appreciate" it, I mean actively dislikes art. This trait is also annoying because you actively get a penalty for having a decorated house, also i imagine they will dislike doing painting and like.

Also Gwennie and Cody decided to add a second floor the house with a room for Lucy.

Part of the reason I made the lot so small is that you can always add more floors if you run out of room, but that might have been a mistake considering the fact that now I don't have enough room for a horse when i need to have max riding and stuff later, so we'll have to move out later in the challenge

BTW remember that robber on the corner of the lot, i had to delete her, basically because every time either Gwennie or Cody would go out front they would just stand in place, constantly trying to do the burglar reaction but unable to do it over and again so that's why I had to delete her

One last thing is that I need to decided Lucy's building unlock I know's she only a child with only 3 of her 5 traits none of them useful for money making or skill but I might have to have her start working now depending on what career she decides, since this is still early game, i'm limiting the options a little bit but here my options for her, I'm also banning anything water or painting related for obvious reasons:

1. City Hall: Maxed Charisma (no money requirement)
2. Military Base: Maxed Handiness and Athletics (no money requirement)
3. School: Maxed Charisma and Logic (no money requirement)
4. Big Park: Maxed Logic and Gardening (Must purchase the lot)
5. Gym: Maxed Athletics (Must purchase the lot)
6. Library: Maxed Writing (Must purchase the lot)
7. Small Park Maxed Gardening (no money requirement)
8. Fire Station: Maxed Atheletics and Handiness (no money requirement)
9. Junkyard: Maxed Inventing (no money requirement)
10. Salon: Maxed Painting (no money requirement)
11. Arboretum: Maxed Gardening and sim must be a fairy (defacto requires alchemy) (no money requirement)
12. Gypsy Wagon Maxed Alchemy, Charisma, and Logic and buy the rabbitwhole ($16,000)
13. Vault of Antiquity Maxed Alchemy and buy the rabbithole ($22,000)
14. Elixer Consignment store Maxed Alchemy, and must purchase the lot.
15. Festival Grounds Maxed Cooking and Athletics (no money requirement)

I was fairly generous with the options here, if may offer up suggestions thus biasing the poll, I personally think with the brave traits either Military base or fire station is flavorfully appropriate, but if you guys decide something different I'm down for that.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Tax Refund posted:

I'd like to vote AGAINST all of these, as they would seriously distract me from the LP.

However, your naming your first baby Lucy has given me an idea. Doesn't Sims 3: Supernatural have a thing where you can turn a wardrobe into a portal to another world? So I vote for the names Susan (F), Peter (M), Edmund (M), and then maybe Caspian (M), Eustace (M), Jill (F), Digory (M), Polly (F), Shasta (M), and Aravis (F).

I legit didn't know about the wardrobe thing till now, but google says it's legit but requires a witch to do so I need a sim to work on alchemy before i can do that which I guess it's up to you guys when ever that happens.

And those names are added to the list keep in mind lucy will be only child so they won't nescarrily be siblings with her. Also I'm removing the joke suggested names from the list, unless their is a demand to bring them back.

FELD1 posted:

I, for one, like to imagine that Cody must routinely utilize his dear, departed Grampa's anti-equine rifle to defend his barn-looking house from rude horses. Please keep the horses, but ultimately it's your LP so do whatever. I'm just happy to get in on a Sims LP on the ground floor. These are some of my favorite games.

I'll turn back on the horses next time I played (though turning them off didn't seem to do anything). Flavor wise that's what can justify what happens when I delete them, honestly the horses in the house aren't a problem in fact I can keep them around they don't cause a problem other than being weird, in fact i could do a game to see how many horses will be in the house at once, the horses in the garden on the other hand are annoying as gently caress and i will delete them without discrimination.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Obviously your Sim who Can't Stand Art needs to make the most beautiful art in the world! :downs:

In all seriousness, I feel like this would be the easiest to complete; It will also make it easier to complete future Athletics requirements.
I'd say go for the City Hall, but I'm not sure how viable that would be, considering you need to have a certain amount of friends to get more Charisma.

Though if I may give you some criticism, I've noticed you have a tendency to use long sentences. This isn't a bad thing, obviously, but please use more punctuation, it will read a lot more fluidly.

I probably shouldn't have put that on the list, it was kind of an accident, I'm keeping on their solely because it's probably not even hard for a sim that dislikes art. Just have to deal with an annoying negative moodlet or something.

City Hall is viable if you take advantage of two features of the social networking skill, namely sim finder and Relationship Transmogrifier, but your vote for the gym is added.

As for my tendency to use long sentences, noted. I'm usually pretty bad at run-ons but from now on I'll try to be more actively aware of it for future updates.

FELD1 posted:

If it really gets too annoying having to constantly delete horses from your garden, then don't feel pressured to indulge me :) I just find the horses wandering around the house really funny for some reason.

Honestly it shouldn't happen that much, so it will be fine, and as long as I'm vigilant deleting the garden horses should be no problem adds a fun little challenge. Since I already made it summer all the time to remove the middle finger the other seasons did to gardening, adding some challenge to gardening is fine.

sincx posted:

Also, your nonchalant, matter-of-fact narration style is a really good fit for this random, buggy game. Great LP. Just don't get burned out. Once a day is hard to do over the long run. You may want to set a more realistic update schedule for yourself.

Thanks for the complement. I think I'll start with every day then do every other day if I start to get burned out and stuff. I'm not overly busy right now so it's not like this is taking too much of my time.

weso12 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 21, 2017

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Mechanical Ape posted:

That's a very space-efficient garden! I wouldn't have guessed you had enough open yard space, but it seems like you can pack a lot of plants in there. What qualifies as a "perfect" garden though?

Thanks for the complement on the garden. You don't need that much yard space to have more than enough plant space for a single sim. I seriously had too much at one point. I had to let plants die before i added any more otherwise it would take him all day to plant the garden.

BTW for this explanation I'm using two terms:

Plant = The thing that grows the crop (fruits, vegetables, herbs)

Crops = The fruit, vegetable itself.

Basically the way the life time wish works is that every plant has a quality level (going from normal, nice, very nice, good, great, excellent, outstanding, to perfect, they are quality below normal but getting those is actually really hard and has little benefit), Which in effects determines the quality of the individual crops (which also affects sales price so their some benefit to this outside this life time wish). Depending on your traits, skill level etc. your crops will have a quality level ranging from the quality of your plant to two higher, using a process of constantly planting higher quality crops as the base of your new plant, you can consistently have better quality crops. The goal of a perfect garden life time wish is have to 8 unique perfect plants at once.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Looking it up, sims that dislike art could actually make pretty decent artists. They apparently don't learn the Painting skill slower than other sims, they just get a negative moodlet when there's art around, and get wishes to sell paintings around the house. So you could have them paint something, hang it on the wall and just get lots of Lifetime Happiness (and money) from selling the paintings.

Also, regarding Charisma, are there other sims living in town right now, not counting the service people? I mean, it's going to be hard to get the 10 friends or whatever you need for maximum Charisma if the only people living in town are the Callows, because family relations don't count towards that. Sorry if you brought this up already during an update, I might've read over it.

1. You can make friends with service sims and they count towards the total

2. You can use the sim finder app with the social networking skill to spawn new sims out of nowhere over and over again they act as random townies basically that don't have a home and you friend them for the requirement

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

So time for what's probably gonna be a longish update where not a lot happens (at least in terms of buggy mess stuff, a lot actually happens in terms big game events) so buckle up

First off, since I got two different votes for which lot Lucy should unlock, I random.org'd it between the two and I what I got was Arboretum, which requires maxing gardening and becoming a fairy. Incase you don't know in order for a sim to change into fairy it requires a level 10 alchemy potion, the level 10 alchemy part isn't the hard part. What's the hard part is that said potion also requires three materials, red toadstool, sunstone, and Fairy Damsel (fish), it shouldn't impossible though and besides Lucy has plenty of time for it. Does anyone mind ifLucy gets old and I don't have the building requirements due her not being a fairy I instead have her unlock another building because level 10 gardening unlocks a small park, and I could also unlock Elixir confinement shop and vault of antiquity with level 10 alchemy? BTW since she's still a child I can't have her learn Alchemy or Gardening yet.

To start off SOMEONE WILL DIE

Remember that cat that got stuck in the house, it passes on today, probably due to starvation.

This will not be the only death in this update

I took this screen shot for two reasons

1. To show that the garden is smaller right now

2. To show off the tree clipping through the house, not as funny as a horse clipping through the house but thought it might be worth showing, as i said this is a surprisingly low glitch up date

So out of nowhere a magical tool appeared in the pockets of Gwennie, a collector helper, so locations of all the hidden items accross Baranacle Bay.

The collection helper is the tool i consider to be ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY if you want do any serious collecting, basically when you go into map mode it shows where all the hidden items are across the map.And when you get close up they glow. Good luck getting any collectables without it because it's seriously torture. Now if your wondering why I didn't save for ANOTHER incredibly overpowered lifetime happiness reward that because Cody was closer to achieving it so I let him do it instead.

While given the reduction of the size of his garden and his daughter being able to take care of herself, Cody has decided to take some alchemy again in his

I primarily did this to see if it was a good idea to have cody learn alchemy instead of Lucy ended up that it made far more sense of Lucy to learn alchemy

Since her father insist she too young for both gardening and alchemy, Lucy decides to use her time praticing cooking instead.

I did this just because it's possible that Lucy might have to do some cooking and I didn't want her completely wasting her childhood phase and she might as well go something useful.

She mastered the toy oven quickly.

Meanwhile Gwennie managed to earn more than enough money through writing to live satificatory, all through writing

BTW is it just me it just me or is this life time wish really easy, i did through having her constantly write fiction books which considering they are basic type of book (along with non-fiction) is probably horribly inefficient, and i still had her finish this life time wish at skill level 8 of writing while she herself only started at skill level 5, and more than half through her adult phase.

Cody managed to find a special device lying around the ruins. He named it the moodlet manager.

For those who don't know the moodlet manager is the single most powerful item in the game. It removes functionally ALL negative moodlets (I say functionally just as a way to cover my basis, there might one or two obscure one that exist that it doesn't remove). If the moodlet is causes by one your motives (as in hungry, sleep, hygiene etc) it puts it back up to full. The only downsides are 1. Sometimes it backfires, making you exhausted instead, but if you use it again it can remove that (A few times I've had to use it like 3 or 4 times to get rid of properly but that's rare) and 2. Sometiems it doesn't remove all the negative moodlets, again just use it again so it remove ones it didn't already remove them 3. It doesn't work on pets, children, toddlers or babies (does work on teenagers though) unfortunately theirs no way around that so you have to deal with their moodlets.

As the years flew by, and Lucy become a teenager, she developed a strong sense of right and wrong and order as a teenager

The good trait for thoses that don't know does a few things, first off it allows you donate to charities, it apparently prevents you from doing mean interactions to others, and one thing I noticed is that lucy will autonomously "Brighten Day" and "Cheer Up".

There's no reason in particular for this screenshot, I just find the way Cody looks at Gwennie in this screenshot sweat, also it's a rare moment where the family actually interacts as a gro up

As time went on Cody became an absolute master of garden even the point of receiving a certificate for his gardening skills.

Yeah cody maxed gardening, and i had an excess of money so...

Yes that's the best screen shot i got sue me

The family quickly build a grocery store to sell goods and stuff for passerbys

And people actually started hanging around the shop, perhaps not people living there but it seems like a good sign for the town

So as Lucy became a teen she helped around the garden also dabbling into alchemy, for her goal was to study how to become a fairy she needed to be a master of alchemy

Also notice that in the first screen shot Gwennie is 90, that doesn't mean she immediately dies, 90 is the just the earliest a sim can die on the normal life span, I THINK the way it works is that the game rolls every day or hour beyond 90 days to see if the sim dies and the moment they fail the roll they die, sims can out live that 90 days by the a considerable margin

Gwennie only made it 2 more days

Also Gwennie inherited a strange vehicle from her family, the motive mobile.

The motive mobile is a lifetime reward added in the sims 3 generations, what it does it whenever you ride it your motives stay maxed it's really useful for collecting and stuff in the since your gonna be riding in your vehicle a lot, and no it's not repetive with the moodlet manager since the motive mobile puts all of them to max regardless of if they were low or not.

Unfortunately tragedy struck, as Gwennie passed on dying of old age, unfornately she didn't become a master of writing like they planned so she could not open the bookstore dreamed off

I remember reading sims 3 wordpress legacy blogs years back, I remember enjoying them and stuff, and are my inspiration for doing this and generally when a sim died they would do eulogies figured I might as well do one here. Gwennie, even though you were too old for my liking, and had less than ideal traits, you were still a decent mother (having maxed out relation with your daughter despite disliking children, completed your life wish time birthed a beautiful daughter, made me a significant chunk of money for this early game. Also you were my go to sim for fixing anything broken around the house, infact I didn't show this but she completed the plumber skill challenge she repaired so much stuff.

It's entirely possible this isn't end of gwennie's adventure, no rule in challenge says you can't revive people and YES ressurection is entirely possible in the sims 3, at the very least her ghost will making guest appearance

The family was sad after the death of Gwennie, but thanks to the power of the moodlet manager, neither of them were sad for long.

Yes seriously the moodlet manager removes the grief of death, also I should note that Cody's moodlet said he was sad from witnessing death despite being out collecting on the other side of the map when she died

After the death of Gwennie, Lucy quickly took over the repairing duties of the house

Forgot to mention this earlier since i didn't get a good screenshot but Lucy played with Blocks as a kid that boosted her handiness up to three when she became a teenager

To fill in the void after his wife died Cody decided to do some work on at the grocery stores he owns.

I did this to earn a little extra income in hindsight I regretted it since the income is trivial and just means he occasionally has to worry about work while collecting (which is his primary duty now)

While Lucy became an absolute master of alchemy

Yes seriously she maxed alchemy as a teenager

And Cody found one of three materials nescarry for Lucy's transformation into a fairy, hopefully the other three will show up soon

The two spend this time managing the gardening the crops with the power of two the two

As time blew by even Cody became older and his hair turned gray, and he adopted a new unique style

And Lucy quickly became a master of Gardening much like her father.

Yes she seriously master not one but two skills AS A TEENAGER, either the moodlet manager is that obscene or she's gaining skills quickly

Since getting the one fish Lucy desires to become a fairy requires some talent at fishing the family decided to burrow up a pond at the house, so she fish even outside of curfew

And fish she did, out of her bed room

[i]To be clear

[i]There is in fact a wall in the way, so ends the only major glitch in this update

[i]Side note: There was a visit by Gwennie from beyond the grave

She mostly just played computer games

BTW adding an addendum to the rules, it's not something that makes thing easier for me in fact it makes it harder it's about the sim finder app associated with the social media skill:

While I am allowed to use the sim finder app to summon someone of an apprioate gender and age even astrological sign if i so desire, using it to create sims of certain traits is banned as that is functionally the same limitation as me choosing the children's trait.

Tomorrow update is probably gonna be smaller, Lucy's almost a young adult that means i need to find her husband quick,and once she finds a husband, i have to stop playing in order for you guys to vote on her husbands building unlock

Apologizes for the smaller amount of fun glitches this time,since they have to come naturally some updates will probably have more or less glitches than others. Though from what I've heard the longer you play on a single save file the glitchier it becomes, so hopefully that happens here.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

FELD1 posted:

Joking aside, this is an interesting challenge, and I'm definitely going to enjoy seeing the town grow up around our motley heroes. Good gravy, Lucy really took off with those skills! I know some skills increase faster than others, but does alchemy usually increase so quickly?

RIP Gwennie the pizza lady.

Based on my experience, I think Alchemy grows pretty quickly, probably on purpose since a. it has no traits that directly help with it b. i get the impression the expansion packs were somewhat designed for people to screw around in for a little bit than ignore, they probably wanted to experiment with alchemy quickly to test out all potions and stuff (but if that's true than some of the potions are probably way too difficult to unlock, requiring rare fish and the like). But keep in mind since their is no school in town, Lucy doesn't go to class or have homework to worry about and with the moodlet manager she also doesn't have to worry about sleep.

Also that awkward moment when Gwennie was a repair lady not a pizza lady.

Tax Refund posted:

No worries, I'm having fun whether or not there are weird glitches. The challenge of unlocking various buildings as you go is making this surprisingly interesting -- normally the Sims is hard to do an interesting LP of, but you've managed to find a good way of making it interesting.

Thanks I was worried that this update wouldn't be as enjoyable without the fun glitches, thanks for the encouragement.

LifeofaGuardian posted:

I didn't realise you could use the Sim Finder to generate new sims, I never played around much with it or the Social Networking skill in general. Huh.

Also, nice update! I'm glad you let Lucy get a head start on her Handiness - it's the skill I focus most on for child sims because I have really bad luck when it comes to objects not breaking after my sims use them (what a weird way of saying it), and it's nice to have multiple sims capable of fixing that.

Yeah the sim finder is also broken in another way, you can customized the traits of the sim you summon out of nowhere all of them to your desire, basically making it a "perfect spouse generator" since it ruins the spirit of my "randomized trait rule", I'm preventing myself from abusing it that much.

Also having all the kids practice handiness is probably the smartest, especially if the building you want them to unlock is something they can't do anything about. (Both Gardening and Alchemy have no way to raise as a child AFAIK, though I didn't realize at the time I probably needed fishing I would have had her practice that if I knew about the fish requirement). Now that i have the moodlet manager I no longer have to worry about cooking.

As usually expect an update today maybe super late maybe not depending on what I feel like.

BTW does anyone know were exactly you can find fairy damsel, spefically if you can in barancle bay, is it fresh water or salt water? Do I need to unlock a fishing spot first a certian fish spawner?

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Looked into a bit more the sims wiki has a decent amount of info on fish locations stating what spawners create them and stuff, apparently i need skill level 8 to catch them and they come from the spawners Ocean Rare, Ocean Uncommon 2, and Lake Uncommon 2. That wouldn't be a problem except for the one bug this update is not a fun just one that's a thorn in my side

It's that sim skill growth when I played today was slower than an crawl, i have no idea why though, you see almost completely filled up that skill bar is took sim hours, to get up the next level and that's from level 4 to 5. And it wasn't just fishing it was every skill, this was notable in that i tried to get to Cody's social newtorking skill up to level 4 to unlock sim finder (it was already level 3 from prior texting and stuff but it was taking far too long to go up)

While Lucy was fishing and Cody working the garden. An eldery paparazzi in front of there house caught fire from the burning heat (BTW forgot to mention but Cody became a one star celebrity last update)

BTW i forgot to mention but if a sim is outside for too long in the heat, they will catch fire.

She burnt to a crisp.

The reaper came for his dues as well

And decided to stay around for a casual visit as well

There is apparently as a 10% chance (but it seems higher based on my personal observation) of after the grim reaper visits him just kind of sticking around for your sims to socialize with and stuff

Fun fact: At one point it was possible for a female sim to try for a baby with the grim reaper, and have a child with the grim reaper, the baby would be a normal sim but have a 50/50 shot of having black (as in the color not the race) skin.

Sample Example I found on google images

This seems to have been patched or least so i read however. It's shame because it was kind of cool and even though pretty the black skin is just a result of no skin pallet or something it fits surprisingly well for the grim reapers child.

As time went by Lucy became an adult, with a since of frugality, as such it was time for Lucy to find a husband

I should probably explain the frugal trait according the sim wiki (which seems like a more detailed resouce than what I using prior (carls sims 3 guide) here are the effects: They can clip for coupons from newspapers, and search the internet for coupons, They'll recieve a postive moodlet when using a coupon at the store and also when they are on sale, NPCs with traits will not visit the bistro lot, they will get stressed out when using slot machines instead of having fun. They get negative moodlets after purchasing expansive household items, apparently this effects them giving less campaign donations, less likely to tip muscians, and react postive to the "Worry about money" interaction. One thing I noticed that the wiki notes is that frugal sims with autonomously turn off lights.

And Cody just new the exactly who make a good husband

There was this youngish looking paperazzi man, with questionable fashion choice named Stacy Cantrell

He checked all the boxes

[X] not elderly

[X] Male

[X] Seems insane enough to choose to live here, since you know going out to barnacle bay to get the dirt on a 1-star celebrity isn't much better than actually choosing to live here.

[X] Probably not a serial killer, probably

She started to text him back and forth over again till they became close friends and then she invited him over one time

They quickly fell in love and had a whirlwind romance

Were SHE proposed marriage to him, with a ring and everything.

They proceed to quickly elope just as her father did and he moved in, taking her last name of Callow

For those who don't know in the sims 3, who ever proposes is the one who keeps their last name

And I yonked that laptop he happend to have on him and it now replaces the family crappy computer

Stacy is an older gentlemen (though not eldery), with the goal of saving people as a life guard, he's workaholic, nurturing heavy sleeper, who's very atheltic, and a bit of a slob

gently caress about the adult thing instead of being a young adult (though it isn't as bad as Gwennie since 1. He's not as old and 2. He's male males can still have kids when elderly), I didn't check for skills he might have but considering he's a papparazzi, i doubt he has any, also just trust me on the slob thing I didn't get a screen shot showing off that trait

To explain the traits:

Workaholic will "Work Hard" by default at a job, get less stressed while working, and recieve a postive moodlet at work, this also effects teens and childreen who get less stressed at school, and sims with this trait gain a negative moodlet from missing work, they also apparently gain fun while doing, helping or being helped with homework and complete homework along with helping kids complete it faster. This trait also benefits all college majors. They also react negative to other sims complaining about work and kids and teens who are workaholics won't autonomously complain about school (though I've never even been aware than a complain about school option exists let along seen a sim autonomously do it. They can apparenlty check up on work on their cell phones but the big benefit comes from the fact they can work from home, which while they don't get paid for it boost performance making promotions easier. This trait not gonna be useful this playthrough due to one primary reason, the majority of sims we have won't ever have jobs.

Nurturing is an interesting trait and good for childcare. According the wiki it means that sims are less like to throw a tantrum when your sim is scolding them but I've never seen a sim "throw a tantrum", so IDK how useful that is, it also says your sim is more effective in socializing with children and teens (I have no idea what that actually means), and get relationship faster with sims that are teens or younger.

Heavy Sleeper is a fairly useless trait , apparently sims with this trait sleep through anything, usually snore when sleeping can always sleep at work (I've never heard that before, might ahve to test that out), apparently sleep longer (though I could sworn I read a blog specially debunking that a long time ago).

The athletic trait mainly boosts your athletic skill growth and makes it take longer for you get fatigued while excersizing it also effects certain interctations involving excersize but that's about it, apparently this trait doesn't affect fight success rates but it does affect bar brawls, strange.

Also the two consimated the marriage and Lucy feels that she might have gotten pregnant.

Translation: I tried for baby and heard the pregancy noise

First off the poll for decided which building Stacy is gonna unlock now open I got one preemptive vote for city hall i'll count that (Unless the caster decides to change it), again his options are limited due to his age

1. City Hall Maxed Charisma (no money requirement)

2. Military Base Maxed Handiness and Atheltics (no money requirement)

3. Beach Maxed Athletics OR Scuba Diving (I'll use athletics) and must purchase the lot)

4. Gym Maxed Athletics and must purchase the lot.

5. Pool Maxed Athletics and must purchase the lot/

6. Fire Station Maxed Athletics and Handiness (no money requirement).

7. Junkyard Maxed Inventing (no money requirement)

8. Salon Maxed Painting (no money requirement).

9. Vault of Antiquity Maxed Alchemy and buy the rabbit hole ($22,000)

10. Elixir consignment store Maxed Alchemy and must purchase the lot.

11. Festival Grounds Maxed Cooking and Athletics (no money requirement)

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Tiggum posted:

You mentioned a couple of times missing the opportunity or forgetting to screenshot stuff. If possible, you might want to record video of your gameplay so you can pause and rewind to get the pictures you need.

I think the sims 3 has a "record" feature so I'll look into taking advantage of that.

I know they are other recording software out there that's probably better, but i'm pretty sure the sims 3 recording feature ignores UI element, which is better for most screen shots. (that and i'm worried about lag if I were gonna use another recording software).'

Also I'm gonna start playing right now so I'm closing the poll looks we have a winner with Beach

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Sorry guys no update tonight expect another update this afternoon I played the game late tonight and I don't want to stay too late making the update.

Also in response to the last post I tried to use the ingame recorder to catch missing screen shots but it would turn off every time I paused the game which is annoying so instead I decided to just not worry about the recording today. And yeah in not using a top of the line computer (nor do the income to invest in one right now) I'll test to see if a recording soft ware wouldn't slow down my game I usually make sure all my apps are closed when I play but I don't think one recording app should ruin things especially with how small the world is

weso12 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 24, 2017

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Tax Refund posted:

By the way, speaking of typos: some LPers like for readers to point out typos and spelling errors, so that they can edit the text of the LP and fix the typos for the sake of anyone who will be reading the LP later on. But other LPers don't like to have their typos pointed out, which is quite understandable since it can feel like you're getting picked on when people constantly point out your mistakes. I mention this because I'd be quite happy to point out typos and spelling errors if you want me to. But I'll only do that if that's something you actually want.

I generally prefer them to actually be pointed out honestly. I know I'm bad at typos so it would always be helpful.

BTW Update coming soonish fairly long one too.

Thanks for the support BTW. I'm not burned out yet, but I'll try to modify the schedule once one per day seems like too much. I'd prefer to have some sort of schedule just so I don't abandon this project or something down the line.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Okay

Since someone pointed out that Stacy's headwear was ridiculous I decided to give him a much more subdued headwear

Nah just kidding I just gave him long hair with out headwear

Since Stacy wanted to build a beach, he decided to work on getting a beach body and being more muscular

While fishing building up her skill to catch the elusive Fairy Damsel, Lucy realized that her constant nauseousness might mean she's pregnant.

As the month passed and Lucy pregnancy grew, as she was fishing for her elusive Fairy Damsel, Cody had to take over the garden completely, which was a long and tedious duty even with the moodlet manager.

So today on Bug Corner, Lucy went into labor when she was fishing, and I was just curious what would happened if I pressed the "Go Home" Button, and the strangest thing happened, she would constantly get into a water taxi have move a feet in the taxi and get out, eventually she just teleported home

Something of a coach potato and grumpy little baby Daniel was born.

I had my sim check the mail and we got wedding gifts, here's one from Gwennie, a dead woman, she was long since dead when her daughter got married too, so it's not like has just been in the mail since she was alive

And another one from Cody? You know you live with us right that picture better not have come from the family funds!

So not only did the parents take care of baby Daniel, grandpa cody was a huge help in this endeavor

So apparently some unknown relative refereed to as "Uncle Riley" (neither Lucy nor Stacy know who this is) gave a toy to Daniel, the figured they might as well take it, free stuff is always nice and they felt around to make sure they weren't any razor blades hidden or anything

Yeah the game makes up relatives for someone to give imaginary friend dolls, this gets weird when both parents have known ancestors

In his goo and gaas Daniel somehow decided that the doll was female and named it Anne

Just a reminder I'm randomizing the gender of imaginary friends so they won't always be the spouse of the sim

On another note Lucy managed to finally catch that Fairy Damsel that she always desires now she was just short a Red Toadstool, which is strange since all of her books said it was a common ingredient.

Something strange about barnacle bay is that if you delete all the lots, the only seed spawns are rare and uncommon ones, no common seed spawners (or special seed spawners) or at least none I could find, so this lives me with four options to getting Red Toadstool

1. Have a sim that doesn't know gardening learn gardening and hope a red toadstool is the one the starting crops they get

2. Have a sim that doesn't know alchemy learn alchemy and hope a red toadstool is one the magic components they get

3. Travel to another country and see if can show up their, via collecting or shops (note that the rules of the challenge say traveling prevents a sim from unlocking a building if they haven't already but there is no penalty for sims that have unlocked a building

4. Cheat and place a common seed spawner somewhere

I tried method 1 then 2 with Stacy and guess what it worked and i got two red toadstools after he learned alchemy level 1, I decided to plant one and use one for the alchemy and you know what that means

Lucy had all the materials to create the potion but will the potion creation be a success?

Yes it worked, not only did Lucy succeed in making the potion she had excess material to make a second potion

So lucy turned herself into a fairy, and since she had long since been a master of gardening, she could now make the Arboretum.

I didn't take a good screenshot of the arboretum sorry (mainly because I have no idea what's it good for)

But there was a weather statue thing that spawn up right next to it that I again have no idea what it's good for in my experience you can't really interact with it too much.

BTW this technically happened before Lucy became a fairy but not break the flow I'm adding it now, a random townie died near our house of old age, so he have another ghost that can haunted our house

This from even earlier than the last screenshot but I have to comment on this guys fashion sense being awful.

With her becoming a fairy all needs to is to always have an aura up so she can quickly learn how to bloom to complete goal of blooming a hundred plants.

I forgot to mention that Lucy's lifetime was to max gardening and bloom hundred plants, it's only completable by a fairy but any sim can choice it, the first wish you get with it if your not a fairy is to become a fairy so it's not exactly an oversight.

So due to his natural athleticism and the moodlet manager allowing him not to worry about sleep and fatigue, Stacy maxed Athletics and you know what that means:

RATHER UGLY LOOKING BEACH TIME, yeah, i had to flatten the terrian so I could place things to increase it's value to the minimum that's allowed sorry I'm not a good interior or exterior designer in the sims if you guys hate it too much, I'll just steal lots from other towns and stuff for building the city

BTW I don't have the screenshot of the complete thing but the complete thing has random picnic tables too

As the years flew by Daniel became a toddler,

And became old enough to truly enjoy the toy uncle riley gave him

Yeah that second message means that the toys gonna be an imaginary friend for the sim

So now that their first child is toddler, Lucy and Stacy decided to try for a second child, and they aren't 100% sure it worked but they are hopeful

I'm not a 100% positive I heard the noise but considering there was annoying singer in the background along with someone playing video games it's a little hard to tell

So Lucy eventually learned bloom and started blooming plants for both her goal in life and her fathers after all her fathers goal was to have a perfect garden didn't matter who grew it.

To explain what bloom does is this: Every time you use it on a plant that hasn't fully grown it will develop to the next stage, occasionally this backfires and causes it to wilt or weed instead but those are easy to deal with. But it can also be used on a fully grown plant for it to harvest crops. Obviously this cost magic but with the moodlet manager this is no problem. So just spam bloom over and over again to selectively breed for the ideal plants MUCH quicker than naturally and get both their life time wishes out of the way

So Lucy managed to get pregnant and maybe with a fairy baby this time

Apparently the way it works is that when that children of mix occult parents have a 50/50 shot being either parents occult type. So this child has a 50/50 shot of being human or fairy. 90% sure that's not how actual biology works but oh well

Also using Lucy blooms ability Cody fulfilled his life dream of having a perfect garden

And decided to purchase a philosophers stone, he meet a strange man who offered it too him cheap and decided to buy it

The philosopher's stone can do one of two things one is turn anything you put onto it into gold (this is a way to make money but generally it too much effort to worth it besides there's a chance that your sim will die doing it, actually there's a special death when your sim turns to gold when it happens and you can sell the statue for obscene amount of money and if you have a death flower you get to live and keep the gold statute too, the other thing it can do is bind a ghost to your house, they stay ghosts but they move in with you. And guess what decided to with this feature...

Cody decided to use the philosophers stone to bind the ghost of his beloved to the house

In case your wondering how ghosts work when you move them in, the way it works is this, they age like a normal sim but when they would normally die they return to their tombstone and act like dead sims after that. When you bind sims that died of old age they revert back to the start of elder phase. I'm gonna use this to have Gwennie max writing to unlock the bookstore for us.

Also to answer your questions:

1. Is bringing her back cheating? No nothing in the rules ban resurrection or anything like that.

2. Does it negate the challenge of the challenge? Probably but I'm gonna try to avoid abuse of it.

3. Won't this result in an inflated house with a bunch of ghosts? Maybe but I'm only gonna do it if the sim has "unfinished business" aka a lot to unlock

Mechanically they are not considered an occult type strangely enough and are the only supernatural thing you can "hybridize" you can fairy-ghosts, werewolf-ghosts etc. Mechanically they are a few benefits and drawbacks to being a ghost, first off ghost sims can go through walls and second off ghost sims seem to move considerably slower than regular sims (though not as bad as mummies).

BTW I could also bind the ghosts of the two random townies if I wanted to that Died and use to unlock a skillless lot (like the graveyard, Laundromat, or something but that might be too cheap)

Also I just noticed at the time I binded Gwennie to the houses but fairy age SUPER SLOW, by the time she'll turn into an adult Daniel gonna be an elder or dead

The strange pathfinding bug of Cody go all the way to edge of the map to throw away a poop-bag happened again

I'll mention this now in case it comes important later, Lucy became a one star celebrity by completing a gardening opportunity involving giving a celebrity townie some great quality crops.

So Lucy gave birth thankfully she went into labor in the garden this time which is more ideal for her.

She gave birth to a boy she named Mark, he was a loner but also athletic.

In other news Lucy completed her life time wish, she bloomed 100 plants and maxed gardening, wasn't that hard actually, especially with the moodlet manager.

BTW i bought a peg box and xylophone just to teach Daniel (and eventually Mark) music and logic, because one or both of those might be important for them (and I already taught Daniel how to walk, talk and poo poo.

Though when he starts playing on his own he had a hard realizing where the xylophone actually was

Also a local townie/paparazzi caught fire and lucy managed to in her brave trait showing, put out the fire through the corner of her house. I still don't know where the fire extinguisher came from

Apparently probably Gwennie's second cousin gave the family a very similar toy the one Daniel received to mark

So Mark decided to also declare the doll female and that her name was Rose

Yes I randomized it for both them and they both got females

So Lucy bought "Queen of the Fae" the first non-item life time reward we bought, I'm not gonna explain because it does a decent job right in the screenshot

This screenshot is just a reminder that Cody is getting old and could die at any moment

So Gwennie upon her life as a spirit finally managed to max writing and unlock the bookstore

So when I went to buy mode to do something this happened, it wasn't letting me highlight anything and when click on something it was giving me debug options. I tried to go back to live mode but the game crashed when that happened, so I shut my computer down without saving. Since i have an auto save mod for exact reason, I probably only lost the last half an hour of progress as most, so some of the later stuff in this go update might have not actually happened. Since i don't exactly remember when the last autosave was I'll update you on where we are during the next update.

Also expect a shorter update tomorrow I'm gonna end once Daniel becomes a Child and makes Anne real and do a poll for both

weso12 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 25, 2017

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Tiggum posted:

One suggestion: You could put the family tree at the start or end of each post, to make it easier to keep track of who everyone is.

What? :confused:

Probably should explain this better: In fact here I go: Lucy lifetime wish is greener gardens: Which to max the gardening skill (something lucy had already done since she was a teenager) and use the fairy skill bloom 100 times. You unlock the ability bloom by getting the hidden Fairy Magic Skill up to level 5, and leveling up said skill requires me using Fairy Auras.

As for the family tree suggestion, I'll work on it. I'm not an artist though but I see what i can do.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I was with you up until that last bit. What's a Fairy Aura?

The game generates them, IIRC.

Fairy aura is basically a special ability that fairies that went activated at the cost of slowly draining magic (fairies and witches have a magic meter used for spells and stuff) basically act like a passive bonus to themselves and nearby sims the benefits vary depending on the aura (one aura boosts mood others boost certain skill growth etc.) it's actually fairly useful since you can use the moodlet manager to restore your magic when it gets low.

And I'll probably just use the generated in game family tree but might to do some editing once the family tree gets bigger

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

First off if your curious where we ACTUALLY left off last time it was just before Gwennie maxed writing so for the second time...

[And managed to get the bookstore

I took picture of the book store this time aren't you proud of me

Also two bugs I noticed with buying the bookstore

1. I think Gwennie is a bit bug in that she a simultaneously part of the household and not part of it at the same time: They were two hints of this first off the option for her to partner or buy the bookstore didn't show i had have another sim buy the bookstore, second off more obviously Cody rolled a wish to live with Gwennie despite being in the same household

2. The stranger bug, for some reason it took multiple times for a sim to actually partner than buy the bookstore, they would leave the building through the back half-way through in every prior attempt, it was just kind of strange.

Since become a lifeguard required some form of central government, Stacy realized that having the goal of having perfect mind along with his perfect body would be ideal

Translation: According the rules Lifeguard requires city hall so i changed his life time wish to something completable: Max Athletics and Logic

In order for Stacy to be more knowledge about the world he decided to buy a chemistry lab

You might wondering why I decided to have Stacy increase Logic via chemistry when telescope can be used to make you money well their's a simple reason for this that will be explained a little later.

BTW you might think that a potion making ability sounds familiar, that's because it is, the Chemistry aspect of logic is basically Alchemy but with different (usually worse) and much less potions, and inability to sell the potions, I'm only bothering because of one particular potion.

So Cody managed to find a dusty old lamp, hopefully

For those of you who can't figure it out, this thing summons a genie, I'm not using it yet because I want to free the genie and in order to that I need a graveyard (don't ask it's weird), so we'll have to wait to later to unlock it.

So as time flew by little mark became a toddler

Little Daniel also grew older too

And grew mentally unstable...

...to the point he was pretending that his doll was a real person

He was talking to himself even.

Obviously the unstable trait isn't actually why he has an imaginary friend but let me explain what the unstable trait because it's actually a really interesting, probably the most unique of all the traits:

About 50% of the time the sim will wake up with an "Out of Sorts" Moodlet, that last 6 hours, in order for the moodlet to go away you have two options either have your sim take deep breaths or check into the hospital for free treatment (I don't have a hospital and why would you ever do the hospital thing when deep breaths are an option, also IDK if the moodlet manager gets rid of it I'll test it when he's a teenager). If you fail to remove the moodlet one or all of your sims traits will change (besides Unstable itself), you have 24 hours after this point to check yourself into the hospital for instability, if you fail to do so the change to your traits will be permanent

It might actually be worthwhile to intitally let your sim change their traits until you get something good, in fact I intentionally let him get unstable a few times just to see what the results would be. Once he turns teenager, maybe the moodlet manager will prevent me from changing his traits unless i choose to not use it.

Also imaginary friends are thing, you can actually make them real as well, it requires level 8 logic and some chemistry, which is why I'm having Stacy work on that, you might be wondering why I didn't have lucy do it since she already had level 5 logic from childhood, because shut up.

So as time went on it was obvious that Cody isn't gonna live for ever. And while everyone was sad when it finally happened (especially Daniel since he couldn't take advantage of the moodlet manager plus it was the first death he ever experienced, Mark was too young to understand death), it didn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Also yes Lucy has red wings now I changed it to experiment with changing the color of the wings

Cody you were my starting sim, and you were a successful starting sim, you managed to complete your goal of having a perfect garden and starting grocery store and even worked there part time as well. Not gonna lie I was a little sad when you died, I didn't cry or anything but I was sad. Enjoy the afterlife where you occasionally come out to visit us, eat food, sleep, and play computer sounds like a good life. I could bind you to the house if I wanted but you deserve your rest at this point

To lighten the mood here's a picture of Anne just laying on the ground.

So Gwennie surprised the family and particularly her grandson by giving him a hover bed.

The hoverbed is a relatively cheap lifetime reward, I THINK the hoverbed is better than the beds we currently had but don't quote me on that, either way they get a positive moodlet for being on it

So Lucy decided to buy a climate control unit for the family as well

So what the climate control unit does is allow you to control the weather, this would be more useful if you control TEMPERATURE because fall, spring and winter give a "gently caress you" to gardeners in their low temperatures making you unable to grow plants that you could remove if you had this but w/e.

So Lucy used her fairy magic to make sure that the family never has to worry about bills as long she lives (which will be a long time) and that she never has to worry about going to the bathroom.

Yeah both these lifetime rewards are self expanitatory so I don't feel the need to explain them

So I happened to notice that Daniel has both "Out of Sorts" from Grumpy and "Feeling out of sorts" which seems rather repetitive to me, like maybe a thesaurus could have helped the developers.

As Daniel unstablity changed, he no longer became a couch potato and became a rebellious young tyke.

rebellious sims get bonus moodlets from playing pranks, and less likely to get caught breaking curfew, and get bonus moodlets from breaking the rules

Eventually Daniel grew out of his rebellious phase, but became clumsy not long afterward

Clumsy sims are what they sound like: more like break things or start fires while cook and things like that it's strictly a negative trait.

So just like this brother before him, Mark is getting attached to his toy Rose.

So as time went by Stacy got old, while his wife remained young, thanks to her being a fairy.

Finally I'd like to end this part with a glitch with Daniel getting stuck standing in a pond, and me having to reset Sim to get him out

Also we're having a vote to decide which building Daniel unlocks, probably should have been a shorter point but I was waiting for Stacy to finish getting the Imaginary friendrium but that was taking to long so we're just gonna have a vote for Daniel and have a vote for Anne and/or Mark next time, possibly Rose too if we make her real in time

Current Options for Daniel

1. Bistro - Maxed Cooking, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole (37,500)
2. Diner - Maxed Cooking, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. (27,000)
3. City Hall - Maxed Charisma (no money requirement).
4. Military Base - Maxed Handiness and Athletics (no money requirement)
5. Police Department - Maxed Logic, Athletics, and Painting (no money requirement).
6. School - Maxed Charisma and Logic (no money requirement)
7. Art Gallery - Maxed Painting, and must purchase the lot
8. Big Park - Maxed Logic and Gardening, and must purchase the lot
9. Fishing Spot - Maxed Fishing, and must purchase the lot
10. Gym - Maxed Athletics, and must purchase the lot.
11. Library - Maxed Writing, and must purchase the lot.
12. Pool - Maxed Athletics, and must purchase the lot.
13. Small Park - Maxed Gardening (no money requirement).
14. Chinese Garden - Maxed Photography, and must purchase the lot.
15. Consignment Shop - Maxed Sculpting, and must purchase the lot.
16. Fire Station - Maxed Athletics and Handiness (no money requirement).
17. Hangout - Maxed Charisma (or Mixology if you have Late Night), and must purchase the lot
18. Junkyard (regular or no visitors) - Maxed Inventing (no money requirement).
19. Salon - Maxed Painting (no money requirement).
20. Disco Club - Max any instrument, at least One Star Celebrity Status, and must purchase the lot.
21. Dance Club - Max any instrument, at least One Star Celebrity Status, and must purchase the lot.
22. Poolside Club - Max any instrument, at least One Star Celebrity Status, and must purchase the lot.
23. Sports Bar - Maxed Mixology, and must purchase the lot.
24. Local Watering Hole - Maxed Mixology, and must purchase the lot.
25. Dive Mar - Maxed Mixology, and must purchase the lot.
26. Gypsy Wagon - Maxed Alchemy, Charisma, and Logic and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($16,000)
27. Vault of Antiquity - Maxed Alchemy and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($22,000)
28. Elixer consignment store - Maxed Alchemy, and must purchase the lot.
29. Supernatural hangout - Maxed Charisma (or Mixology if you have Late Night), must be a supernatural being of some sort, and must purchase the lot
30. Vampire Lounge - Maxed Charisma, Sim earning the lot must be a vampire, and must purchase the lot
31. Festival grounds - Maxed Cooking and Athletics (no money requirement).
32. Resort - Maxed Charisma and must purchase the lot.
33. Diving Area - Maxed Scuba Diving (no money requirement, and IDK if it's actually possible)

Yes I know it's a lot of options but because we have more money more lots are now possible

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

BTW I got bored and I made Sim Profiles in the intro post.

Also I already played for tomorrow's (short) update so Josuke vote for school is what we're going with for Daniel since I didn't get anything else. Hopefully you guys are more vocal for next update because (spoiler for next update)you guys have three different building unlocks to vote for next update

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Want a family tree you got it ignore the fact that it doesn't show Cody and Gwennie as married a wierd thing that happened after Gwennie died is that it showed Gwennie and Cody as engaged not married for some reason

Daniel unstability grew even worse, as he started looking through a telescope indoors, claiming to discover stars and planets and the like. Not realizing their's no way that's possible. He insists he gonna make a school here one day but who want to be taught by such instability.

Yes you can use telescopes indoors, and yes you can still discover stars and stuff it's like they didn't even beta test this game

So Lucy uses her fairy aura powers of Aura of Mind and Body to help her husband stacy learn chemistry quicker, to find that potion to make their sons imaginary friend real.

So Cody's ghost visited from beyond the grave, and when his son in law Stacy wanted to talk to him, he started claiming he never knew him

I just find the image hilarious:

"Who are you?"

"I'm Stacy, you son-in-law:

"Who?"

"Stacy, I married your daughter"

"Who?"

"Stacy, I fathered your two grandchildren"

"Who?"

"We lived with each other for YEARs!"

"I'm sorry I'm far too famous as a one star celebrity to talk to you, maybe if you impress me I'll talk to you"

So Daniel experienced a personality change, he lost his clumsiness but went completely off the rocker into full on insantity

(Also note this happened on the day he aged up to teenager this is important for a later bug that happened)

Also I guess I should explain insane: Insane sims pick clothing randomly depending on the situation, have wishes that might not make sense, recieve a bonus to writing auto-biography, can rummage through neighbors trash unless they are neat, can fish in swimming pool (actually fairly useful is trying to finish fishing and you have deal with weather, can talk to self which fills fun and social motives, Sims of this trait will also respond to marriage proposals at 50/50 randominess rather than relationship level which is actually annoying make sure their the one to propose when possible.

Not long after Daniel became fully insane, Stacy figured out how to make an Imaginary Friend Metamorphium potion

Also is it just me or does that message contain a typo, shouldn't it be "an Imaginary Friend Metamorphium potion", granted I have little room to talk but this is a professionally made game, the least they should do is proofread, also beta testing would be helpful but considering this an EA run company that made this, back when EA was literially the worst company in america, it's not a huge surprise.

So with the imaginary friend metamorphium in hand and the close bond the two had, Daniel made his imaginary friend real.

So Anne Callow (she quickly took the family last name), is a Couch Potato, who is Cowardly and a light sleeper.

I've already explained Coach Potato in the past but Coward and Light Sleeper are new,

Cowards, get the "afraid of the dark" moodlet when it's dark, will faint and get a "scared" moodlet when encountering a bulgar, grim reaper or fire, get scared when watching the horror channel on tv, run away from sims who slap them or fought them and won, pee themselves when declared a nemesis, runaway from sims who are emperor of evil, the repoman, or bonehilda.

Light Sleeper is what is says on the tin, this sim will wake up when the burgular happens or other easy noise, and can research sleep on computers which has no benefits

So as daniel grew up he developed a natural green thumb just like this grandfather.

But then something strange happened: He quickly lost it.

When he used the moodlet manager to get rid of hunger or something it also got rid of the episode he was having reverting his Insanity back to clumsiness but also removing his green thumb

Hi there possible oversight, here's what i think happened: When Daniel aged up he was having the episode of a changed trait, but when I used the moodlet manager on him it removed the episode, thus transforming his trait back to what to before they were before he aged up, which didn't include green thumb.
Competent programing thy name is The Sims 3.

So Mark also became a child as time went on and grew snobish tendenacy.

Snob is not a useful trait, apparently it's effects are: sims love to gloat, will reactly postively to compliment, get postive moodlets when purchasing expensive things, get an "I am Beautiful" moodlet when looking in the mirror, more likely to wish for money-related goals, more desire to befriend rich sims,
dislike other Snobs, more dscriptive when describing the taste of nectar, get a negative moodlet from buying cheap things, or eating morsels. Nothing really important

Like this brother he also had an imaginary friend, Rose the doll from earlier

Who thanks to his dads chemistry set, and some alchemy from his mother to boost her opnion with him to make the two closer friends, so she would trust him with this she became real as well

Rose is an excitable daredevil who loves dogs

Daredevils first off call every single action "extreme, take extreme naps etc. second off daredevils enjoy being on fire and stuff. they also take longer to burn so that's useful.

Sims who are excitable get the "Excited" moodlet more frequently that's about it

Dog person build relations with dogs very quickly, and teach dogs command much quicker and the death of a dog will effect the sim more

Also if your wondering why Anne didn't age up that's because she was made real on Daniel's birthday so hopefully the game is just waiting for the next day to age her up, because it couldn't do It's Anne's Birthday message. So we have three sims to vote for this time Mark, Anne and Rose, here are the options for all of them:

1. Bistro - Maxed Cooking, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole (37,500)
2. Diner - Maxed Cooking, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. (27,000)
3. City Hall - Maxed Charisma (no money requirement).
4. Military Base - Maxed Handiness and Athletics (no money requirement)
5. Police Department - Maxed Logic, Athletics, and Painting (no money requirement).
6. Art Gallery - Maxed Painting, and must purchase the lot
7. Big Park - Maxed Logic and Gardening, and must purchase the lot
8. Fishing Spot - Maxed Fishing, and must purchase the lot
9. Gym - Maxed Athletics, and must purchase the lot.
10. Library - Maxed Writing, and must purchase the lot.
11. Pool - Maxed Athletics, and must purchase the lot.
12. Small Park - Maxed Gardening (no money requirement).
13. Chinese Garden - Maxed Photography, and must purchase the lot.
14. Consignment Shop - Maxed Sculpting, and must purchase the lot.
15. Fire Station - Maxed Athletics and Handiness (no money requirement).
16. Hangout - Maxed Charisma (or Mixology if you have Late Night), and must purchase the lot
17. Junkyard (regular or no visitors) - Maxed Inventing (no money requirement).
18. Salon - Maxed Painting (no money requirement).
19. Disco Club - Max any instrument, at least One Star Celebrity Status, and must purchase the lot.
20. Dance Club - Max any instrument, at least One Star Celebrity Status, and must purchase the lot.
21. Poolside Club - Max any instrument, at least One Star Celebrity Status, and must purchase the lot.
22. Sports Bar - Maxed Mixology, and must purchase the lot.
23. Local Watering Hole - Maxed Mixology, and must purchase the lot.
24. Dive Bar - Maxed Mixology, and must purchase the lot.
25. Gypsy Wagon - Maxed Alchemy, Charisma, and Logic and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($16,000)
26. Vault of Antiquity - Maxed Alchemy and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($22,000)
27. Elixer consignment store - Maxed Alchemy, and must purchase the lot.
28. Supernatural hangout - Maxed Charisma (or Mixology if you have Late Night), must be a supernatural being of some sort, and must purchase the lot
29. Vampire Lounge - Maxed Charisma, Sim earning the lot must be a vampire, and must purchase the lot
30. Festival grounds - Maxed Cooking and Athletics (no money requirement).
31. Resort - Maxed Charisma and must purchase the lot.
32. Diving Area - Maxed Scuba Diving (no money requirement, and IDK if it's actually possible)

Don't forgot you're voting separately for EACH of them, I'll deal with two being voted the same lot if that comes.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Tax Refund posted:

So Daniel's imaginary friend became real... during one of his episodes where he was temporarily insane. Heh. You could do a lot with that if he'd stayed insane, but since she didn't go away when he stopped being insane, I guess he won't have any lingering doubts about whether she really became real.

And in this case, I'd support using a character editor to restore the missing Green Thumb trait, because that's what he should have had if the game hadn't bugged out. It isn't cheating if you're only using it to undo the effects of bugs.

Also, out of curiosity: can Sims marry their imaginary-friends-turned-real? Or are you going to have to go look for four spouses for your Sims once they hit young adulthood?

I'll probably add green thumb to his traits using CAS it already used testing cheats to delete a horse

And don't worry they can marry their imaginary friends turned real, it's kind of.wierd but an easy spouse option though I added a rule that I randomize the imaginary friends gender (you choose the gender when you name the doll) just so I don't have the imaginary friend be the spouse of a sims EVERY generation, considering that imaginary friend have a 75% chance of showing up, (yeah Lucy got unlucky), I want to bring in some more service sims and stuff so I can talk about things like hidden traits and all that

sincx posted:

Those suggestions are good.

Also it's amazing how buggy this game is. I wonder how much of it has to do with all the myriads of expansions not playing nicely with each other.

It's a combination of factors first off I'm just guessing here but PC games are probably hard to beta test do the myriad of different specs you have to design for, but also I get the sense the expansion packs were rushed considering the short turn over and not really designed to interact with each other (supernatural and ambitions are the only ones that really add extra stuff if you have prior expansions and even its minor), but make no mistake even base game sims 3 is buggy.

Also I'm starting play now so the voting is closed

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I guess I forgot that the family trees don't have names on them. It's not as helpful as I imagined.

Ancient Bulgarian nomads are pretty scary, I guess.

Why do i keep making that typo lol.

And I'll look into using paint, gimp or even family echo into making a useful family tree. Working on an update right now BTW so look forward to that.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

For those who don't know know Anne is unlocking the police station, Mark is unlocking Fire Station and Rose is unlocking the Big Park

So first up I used testing cheats to give Daniel back green thumb.

BTW if you wondering why it's dark it's not because I don't have lights it's because someone *cough* *cough* Lucy *cough* *cough* keeps turning them off EVEN when people are in the room. Stupid frugal trait even with no bills ever, she still feels need the $0 by turning off lights.

Speaking of Lucy got ask on a date by a gentleman she barely knows despite you know being married and all

Since Anne has to unlock the Police Station, she begins working on her paint skill

If your wondering why on earth the police station requires painting that because the creator of the challenge decided that buildings are unlocked by all the skills needed for the career, and since the forensics branch of the Police career requires painting paint is required for the police station

If you're wondering why I didn't start with logic instead of Painting it's because a. I already have two sims working on logic, three if you count Stacy who's doing it for his life time wish. and b. I'm pretty sure in the long run painting makes more money (or at least more reliable money).

I said in in the long run early on Logic telescoping makes much more

So poor Rose got tricked by the delusional Daniel into thinking that they could discover stars while using telescopes indoors

Yes they are both discovering stars and stuff by searching through the telescope indoors, it isn't a special thing or anything. BTW I'm just not doing it indoors because it's funny but also because indoor telescoping searching prevents them from getting hot and catching fire, also negative moodlets from rain and stuff.

So quickly after Daniel became a teen, so did Anne become a teen, she developed a mean spirit as she grew older

Mean spirited is annoying trait, it basically means that a. Your sim will have wishes for being mean and b. your sim will autonomously be mean to other sims which is rather annoying and with 7 sims in the house it's really hard to be on top of her not just randomly being mean to other sims

Also quickly after she became a teenager, her and Daniel started dating.

Yeah you can date and marry your imaginary friends turned real (I haven't tested whether you can date imaginary friends that haven't turned real but that would be quite depressing) in fact it's honestly optimal a lot of the time especially in this challenge.

So Daniel realized his goal in life, he desires to max three skills doesn't matter which but he's thinking about being a master of knowledge, a social master and a master of social media

I choose this one because no other LTW fits his goal plus even though I don't need to max social media it's still a helpful skill for maxing charisma and will actually be helpful for helping other Sims.

Also side note while base game skills DO count as "related" to your life time wish strangely the ones from sims 3 university don't even though maxing them counts towards the lifetime wish

Since Daniel wants to build a fire station one day he decided to get a jump start and start working out. And Stacy still worked on potion making despite finding the imaginary friend metamorphium

I only did this because, I had nothing better for him to do, and I heard there was a childhood athletic skill that effects your adult one and I was testing that out, didn't make a difference as far as I can tell. BTW I didn't get a screenshot of it but Mark also maxed toy blocks which brings his handiness up to three.

In case your wondering why Stacy is still working on chemistry well because a. His life time wish requires him to max logic and because b. Their is still one potion I want to make just for the sake of having it later.

So Lucy used her fairy magic on her husband Stacy to also grant him a bladder of steel.

And Stacy became an absolute master of logic, knowing everything there is to know about the world.

for those of you paying close attention and particularly good memory you know what that means

Stacy completed his (modified) goal in life of having a perfect mind and a perfect body.

Not long after that Stacy discovered how to make a Young again potion a powerful material to make any sim young again, he felt it was too powerful to use.

Young again potion does what you expect, it reverts the sim back to the start of the young adult phase of their life, it's actually really useful, but I'm gonna hold off on using it till I absolutely NEED it for a building unlock on something

So Stacy also found a strange device that allowed him to modify the future

Yeah this will be more useful once the unlock the ability to go into the future (the future rules for the this challenge are kind of annoying), but I'm running out of things that will be useful in the long term for life time rewards

He also managed to find a SECOND hoverbed

The reason I did this was because hoverbeds are awesome and since Rose and Mark refuse to sleep in the same bed I want them both to have the benefit when both are sleeping.

Also much like Daniel Rose decided her goal in life is to master three skills

This might be a strange choice but I did it because I can always have master handiness or something, quick it's not a hard lifetime wish.

Also Daniel also became a master of knowledge simply by looking out his telescope indoors

And decided now to become a social master, by talking to himself

To explain how I'm gonna max charisma. (Because charisma requires most having enough friends and knowing enough people to level up and family members do NOT count for some reason, though sims you live with that aren't family members do)

First off the first thing I do is have him talk to the mirror skill his skill goes up. If he doesn't have enough friends to level up Charisma, I will take on of the (non-family relationships) and text them over and over again till they become friends, which will level up Social media, once his social media reaches level 7 this tedious process of texting will be skipped and I will used the relationship transmorgifier (a broken app that you get via the social media skill that allows you change the relationships between ANY two non-child sims you know including yourself) to increase their relationship to friend.

If he doesn't know enough people, I will use sim finder to summon a new sim, have them text the sim a bunch of times so he doesn't immediately forget them, wash rinse repeat till he has enough relationships to max charisma.

Just a reminder Gwennie can die at any moment now, I'm a bit worry a bug might make her immortal but if that happens I'll move her out

Also a random townie managed to catch fire AGAIN.

But have no fear Lucy's here to save the day, that's two different sims she's saved the life of?

Also I added a random bathroom to raise the value of the beach we never use, so we can get money out of it

Also Mark became a teenager, grew an appreciation for middle eastern culture and gain a nurturing spirit.

Didn't even know teenagers could have nurturing huh

So Rose became a teenager as well and became one of the dozens of never nudes

Never nude is exactly what it says, it's an Arrested Development reference and sims with this trait will shower and stuff in the nude. Apparently insane sims with never nude will shower and stuff in anything.

So since Mark became a teenager, his father decided to start training to help him be a master of athletics faster

IDK if having someone trains actually makes the skill faster but Stacy has nothing better to do it doesn't hurt.

BTW are the images big enough? I resized them down to 800x600 because I read in the rules that's the max size for an image on the board but I see other LPs ignore that.

BTW once both Daniel and Mark become young adults I will be doing a poll to decide which one (plus their future wives) stays in the house and which one moves into their own house AFTER both of them and their future wife unlocks their buildings of course

Sorry for the boring update BTW

No poll BTW.

weso12 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 27, 2017

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Tiggum posted:

What does this mean?

Yeah probaby should have expained this:

These 4 pictures represent a sims locked in wishes, notice how three of the wishes have that filter thing in the background (I really don't know what i call it).

Basically the ones that look like this:

Instead of this:

Means that the wish is "related" to a sims lifetime wish and such will give slightly more life time happiness (life time happiness is a currency attached to every individual sim that can be exchanged for different rewards like the moodlet manager, steel bladder and stuff). The strange thing is that learning logic, and mastering painting are considered "related" to the renaissance sim life time wish (which is master any 3 skills) but for wishes associated with leveling up and mastering skills that were introduced in Sims 3 University, namely for Social Networking and Street Art (IDK about the science skill) they aren't considered "related" despite the fact that those skills DO count towards the 3 skills you need towards the life time wish.

BTW no update today, while i did play for an update today, i didn't play long enough for too much interesting to happen, i think what I'm gonna do in the future is play everyday but only update when I get to the point where I need you guys for a poll

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

So finally time for an update:

First off we're starting with a (kind) of death, Gwennie lost her grip on the mortal realm and retreated to the Netherworld.

And BTW that thing about her not able to return total bullshit, i am able to rebind her if I want to using the philosphers stone: In case your wondering why that message even shows up, it's because using the philosphers stone to bind ghosts is not the way you do it in base game, the way you do it in base game is this:

Have a science lab in your town, snf someones tomb stone in your inventory and eventually you will get a phone call from the science lab about an experiment thing and you can make the sim a ghost, after the first time you do it this method it costs money each time. And with THIS method you can only restore a sim once (unless you use ambrosia to make them not a ghost any more but more ambrosia later since IDK how I'm gonna make that in this town)

I moved her tombstone to next to her husbands and that random women who died on our lot.

Should give her another eulogy

Thanks for comeback and giving us even more money your probably partially responsible for the good portion of the excess we have right now, you finally managed to max writing even writing over hundred books through your lifespan and your afterlife. Though the fact after you came back you would autonomously scare people is kind of annoying but what can you do? She is survived by her daughter and two grandsons.

So Daniel got this message, yes Daniel really needs to impress his teachers, those teachers he totally has, and get his grades up, for the school he's totally going to

Just putting this here because I find this sim strange looking maybe it's the hair combined with the skin tone seems odd but something about is interesting, I'd marry him in if I had a spare girl in the house.

Also I had to put this is, Anne fainting from a ghost that wanders around the house all the time, they are ghosts in the house get use to it (she also freaks out from Gwennie ghost now that she's in the netherworld when she didn't prior to that

Mark managed to become a physical master of athletics, achieving one of his two goals

So he got started on the other goal becoming a master handyman by constantly tinkering with and upgrading local household appliances

But when he was tinkering with the laptop, the managed to cause a small fire

But thankfully he managed to put out before any serious damage happened other needing a new chair nothing needed to be replaced

And because of this fire, Rose And Mark realized how life could end at any moment and decided to seize the moment and start dating

Yeah they weren't dating before this, forgot to do it till now

So using Lucy's fairy magic, Anne also got a bladder of steel meaning she never has to urinate

So Rose became a master of Logic

And proceeding to start a monstrous project plant in the backyard.

Lucy became a master fisherwoman.

You might be wondered why I bother mastering fishing since it neither contribues, it's because Lucy really doesn't have much to do right now, so I'm just having her do random stuff for the sake of it, plus mastering fishing makes okay money. I'm having Stacy work on skill challenges for athletics and logic just for the sake of it as well.

In others news Daniel finally became an adult

And develop some diva like tendencies

Looking at the wiki Diva seems like it's annoying trait, apparently they will slap sims after being insulted, a -30 relaitonship hit when an arguement with a romantic partner, relationship meter raises slower than other sims, but they get a slight boost to the singer career, they can compliment themselves, request compliments, talk about many accomplishments, and complain trivial things to other sims.

BTW even though is Anne is a teenager and Daniel is an adult they are still dating this normally isn't possible but if one ages up before the other it is, however they aren't able to engage in romantic interactions until Anne researches adulthood, speaking of that

Anne became a master painter.

And became a young adult, sorry no close up screen shot , i forgot to take one, but she became a kleptomanic

Kleptomanics can steal 3 things per night (and only in the night) by using the swipe interaction, it's really useful when playing a normal town but not so much here, I've been able to steal cars and poo poo with it.

And the two got engaged, and eloped

I might eventually do an actual wedding but that seems like work and takes away time from skilling

Also while tinkering with the laptop it catched fire again, that's the last time Mark messes with the Laptop, thankfully Rose put it out this time

Also I'm doing a vote now since Daniel is an adult I need you guys to decide who inherent the house Daniel or Mark, please put your votes in bold, the one who doesn't will move out with their imaginary friend turned wife. You guys have til Sunday 10 pm EST when I start playing again to cast your vote so I'm giving guys plenty of time here.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Alavaria posted:

Fill the house with paintings :)

Will do, I have an excess of money and besides painting get nice moodlets the house is kind of boring looking right now

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

LightWarden posted:

About half of the life states increase your lifespan to some degree, with fairies tied for the second-biggest increase in the game (technically it's a three-way tie, but one of the states has a reward option that makes them entirely unaging).

To be fair, with sims 3 generations theirs an option to make any sim unaging: the age freeze potion life time reward, it's ridiculously broken for this type of this challenge and I'm banning it for that exact reason. There's probably a lot more i should ban, (Philosphers Stone ghost binding, science lab ghost binding, young again potion, maybe ambrosia but ambrosia is appriopately hard to get, and things like the motive mobile and the moodlet manager), but i think at a certain point you have to say gently caress it and allow some broken things though thanks for reminding that vampire life time reward option exists i need to explicitly ban that.

EDIT: Also finally updated the main post. It now has all the updates in the table of contents and adds the favorites and signs of every sim for all 0 of you that care about that sort of stuff, I don't have Mark's yet, because i couldn't find a screen shot with it, and i didn't feel like opening the game just to find out, when I play next time I'll make sure to check so i can add to the list.

Also I do need votes for who is the next heir Mark or Daniel, I don't care either way so I'll random.org if no one votes

weso12 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 30, 2017

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Okay I'm starting play now so the poll is CLOSED

Looks like mark is inherenting (and by extension Rose) but doesn't mean we're saying goodbye to Daniel and Anne quite yet, he and his wife still have buildings to unlock, they'll unlock their buildings then move out.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

So no update today, because i haven't gotten to a point where i need a poll, but here's a sneak peak of what your in for:

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Buckler Down because we got a LONG one today, as I'm gonna stop doing the out of character stuff being in italics since like more than half of my commentary is out of character so now it's now gonna be inversed in character stuff, is gonna be an italtics

Also for those that don't know Mark won the last poll so mark is the next heir to the house:

So since Stacy was board and decided to shop online and decorate the house with paintings

So as per request I added paintings to the house, I probably should have used Sim created painting, but I didn't for 2 reasons

1. I already sold all of Anne's paintings, they are worth good money once you get high enough skill level

2. It appears from another recent save file I've been playing on the side, that even paintings you buy appreciate in value over time so these.

So while tinkering with the tv, Mark created fire again and set himself on fire this time

Thankfully (at least for those who don't want teenagers to die, horrible gruesome deaths), Mark managed to reach the shower with only seconds to spare

Seriously i think the in game timer for when he would burn to death was only at a minute (which is like less than a second real time), so this was a close call, I probably would have binded his ghost if he actually died.

So it looks Lucy put out the fire, drat Lucy is awesome at putting out fires

So if you notice I bought an interesting looking casket, that casket is actually the home of Bonehilda

Bonehilda is basically a maid that instead of paying every time they visit is a one time purchase of her home and she cleans your house for free, plus does other stuff heres all she does according to the wiki:

Useful things she does
Prepare Food (Not serve)
Clean
Repair broken appliances for free
Put out fires (this would have been helpful earlier)
Socialize with her (you can't make friends with her, she no relationship but you can still talk to her), apparently loners don't count her as person in terms of interupting them but supernatural fans (more on that trait if someone ever gets it) get a bonus
They can work with other bonehildas if you buy multiple
Apparently train dogs if she nothing else to do
Attack burglars and win

Annoying this she does or doesn't do
She drinks every drink she can find randomly
She steal clothes from people streaking
She doesn't do child care
Won't Entertian guest
Doesn't Garden
Strangely won't do Laundry, even though regular maids do that (Laundry is an optional mechanic that increases sims moodlets when done but requires more cleaning I generally don't find it worth it)
Will scare off regular maids from working their so if you want to use the laundry mechanic but want to have automated by maid don't use bonehilda
Scare off coward and neurotic sims to the next room even if they are also brave. (Except toddlers these traits do get sacred and but don't flee
Sims with the supernatural skepic trait will also get sacred but not leave the room and this is ignored if their brave
Apparently she suppose to interact with baby and toddlers but the interactions always fail

So overall she useful if you don't have a sim with Cowardly or Neutric but I do right now so I can't really take her advantage of her yet, I tried using her but Anne freaking out everytime she showed up was just too annoying

So Lucy granted Rose a steel bladder

And after taking an improv class, Stacy has become, able to repeat anything without having it being boring

What never dull does is make so that when you socialize with a sim you can repeat the same action over and over without the other sim getting board, it's suprisingly useful, I forget why i bought it in this circumstance

So Mark became a master of handiness so he's able to modify and build the house at a cheaper rate

I have no idea how much this actually saves (or if i does) I didn't really compare and contrast prices or anything

Also Lucy used magic to give mark a steel bladder this time

Since Mark maxed both handiness and athletic, we can now build a fire station.

Also Rose maxed Gardening which means we can buy this:

A big park in case your wondering their's a stage on this because I'm taking advantage of this rule of the challenge:

quote:

15. If you have Showtime...A stage may be added to any normally earned Big Park... Acrobat, Magician, and Singer are allowed when you have a Big Park with a stage.

plus the unlock requirement for the Coffeehouse

quote:

Coffeehouse - Must earn a Big Park with a stage first, and reach Level 10 in any performance career (no money requirement).

and all the other showtime lot basically chain off the coffeehouse. (The Live Show Venue requires a coffeehouse, the private venue requires the live show venue, and the big show venue requires the private coffeehouse), so now we can finally do show time stuff... hooray I guess.

So i had Rose work on handiness and Mark work on Alchemy I did alchemy because it's fast and he has the renaissance sim lifetime wish, I have Lucy working Handiness for a specific reason that will be clear when she maxes it

So as time went on Rose and Mark grew older and became young adults. Rose grew overemotional and Mark grew rebellious

Overemotional i've already explained overemotional it's a good trait if you can keep track of moodlets well (which is piss easy with the moodlet manager)

Rebellious, a trait introduced in the Sims 3 Generation, is something I wish he had as a minor because it's more useful then. It makes you more likely to get away with pranks and breaking curfew and gives you extra moodlets for doing those things, it's not entirely worthless now, he still gets bonuses from riding motorcycles and stuff, and protesting etc. This apparently doesn't effect the rebel clique from university life, because Expansion pack synergy what's that?

Also in the future I'm not gonna explain every minor effect of a trait just the main points of it, if you know something about a trait that makes it interesting that I didn't include feel free to comment on that.

So Mark proposed to Rose and she said yes and they quickly eloped

The two tried for a baby

And both them even tried fertility pills, because they REALLY wanted to make sure

Yeah I gave them both fertility treatment, it increases rate of conception and increases the odds of twins and triplets

And for some reason Rose started watching KIds tv and listening to Kids radio

There's a spefic reason I'm doing this and I'll explain later

Also I'd be sad if I didn't show this, while making an alchemy potion, Mark turned into a frog person, I moodlet managed this away but it's kind of funny

Lucy quickly learned she was pregnant, she was escatic

While all this was happening, Daniel became a social master meaning he could finally achieve his dream of creating a school, Rose is escatic her future child will get an education

If you think that means Daniel is moving out well, not quite yet: Daniel will move out when BOTH him and his wife achieve their building goal so they can move out together.

Here's the school that exists, this means that all kids and teenager now gotta start going to school, which is slightly annoying so that means less time skilling but w/e, theirs generally plenty of time

Also apparently we should go visit gwennie because she could die at any moment hows about all the way back in update 4?

So the 9 month of pregnancy flew by quickly and Rose gave birth

To a beautiful baby Girl named Maria, who is afraid of the water and loves the heat

AND...

and a beautiful baby boy named Brian, who is also afraid of the water and is quite eccentric

That's right she gave birth to twins

I basically rigged this, just because I wanted to experience, obviously the fertility treatment of both her and her husband increases the odds, but her constant listening to kids music and her watch a brief amount of Kids TV also increased the odds of her having twins or triplets and considering they were already 6 people (the cap of any household without mods is 8 (Well 8 people, you can have 6 pets, but no more than 10 sims + pets total so if you have 8 sims you can have 2 pets, and if you have 6 pets you can have 4 people (minor pets don't count towards this since you don't control them only cats, dogs and horses count))) in the house making triplets impossible we were basically guaranteed twins

Also despite being born on the same day, twins will generally have different astrological signs.

Also since Hydrophobic was already explained now time for me to explain Loves the Heat and Eccentric: Loves the Heat, added in Sims 3 Season is straight forward, they get a bonus moodlet from being in the heat longer (useful to me sinces it's summer all the time in the game world I have), and don't get sunburned as quickly (also more useful to me due to the nature of my world). This is literially all of it's effects if you know of any other effects let me know.

As for Eccentric it's mainly useful for inventing, infact as fair as i can tell the only thing it affects is inventing, it increases the chance of discovering inventions, faster at making discovered inventions, higher chance of making improved widgets, apparently learn the inventing skill faster and stuff.

So much like the twins fathers and uncle the twins also got a mysterious gift that were two very similar dolls.

So in his goo and gaas brian declared his doll female and named it Susan

In her goos and gaas Maria declared her doll male and named it Darren

BTW I am seriously random.orging the imaginary friends gender and it's seriously getting annoying I'm always getting the opposite gender because eventually i want diversity in spouses, I want sims to marry maids, repomen, etc. Not just imaginary friends.

Also I had Stacy work in the garden since he had nothing better to do, so he mastered gardening

Speaking of Stacy he made the 100 day mark in the game, let's see how long he can keep it up

Also Daniel was a fantastic uncle helping take care of his nieces and nephews and stuff.

BTW Rose mastered handiness

I have no idea if this stacks with Marks handiness bonus discount but i'm willing to be no because that might be broken but then again when as the sims ever cared about what is broken

Rose also completed her life time wish because she master three skills now

She then decided to inspect the mysterious device that's been in the front yard for so long

She noticed that it was actually portal and a strange man came out

She recieved a strange device from him that gave her detailed information on the future, he offered to take her to the future but first they need 5 powerful cells

... they weren't difficult to find and he only needed five of them

After that she traveled into the future

In case your wondering why I didn't do this earlier the rules with the future and this challenge are suprisingly obnioxous

quote:

20. If you have Into the Future, only Sims who have maxed Logic or Science and Handiness or Inventing may travel into the future. This does not count as earning a lot, and traveling into the future does not disqualify a Sim from earning a lot. However, the sonic shower, food synthesizer, drink synthesizer, retail display pedestals, dream pod, holo-computer, holo-disc, jetpack, and windcarver can only be purchased in the present if there is a Sim in the current household who has both been to the future and has maxed Advanced Technology... If you instead have a Sim who has been to the future but has not yet maxed Advanced Technology, they may bring these things back with them from the future but can't buy more in the present. If you instead have a Sim who has maxed Advanced Technology but hasn't been to the future yet, then you may only buy more of whichever items your household already has. The rules for the Laser Rhythm-a-con and bot workshop are the same as the ones for the above items except that their respective skills are required rather than Advanced Technology.

Now the first part is why I had Rose learn handiness, because i needed either that or inventing to go into the future (and she already 3 points in handiness from childhood skilling, so it would probably be faster than inventing much less expensive too).

Lucy got wander around on a jetpack

And crashland

Interact with a plumbot

Plumbots are the new "occult state" in Sims 3 Into the Future, though calling them an occult state is streching it since it's the only one AFAIK that can't became any of the other occult states including regular sims, it also has there own trait chips. Also fun fact this is second robot Sim occult state in the sims 3, we'll hopefully meet the other one down the line.

ALso the rules are shocking unclear in whether Plumbots can unlock buildings. Since getting them to learn skills is a pain in the rear end, since when they start out they have the ability to learn skills, and can't untill you install them with a trait chip that allows them too.

and even try out an ACTUAL hover board, not those trend from like 2 years ago "hover board" trend that everyone forgot about

also she explored the waste land but i forget to take a screenshot

Eventually however she had to go back home but she got to keep the hover board and jetpack, though this now makes her slightly older than her husband as she aged a litlte bit while she was gone as her husband remained the same

That's right the sims into the future does the logical thing with future travel only sims that went to the future age, when they get back no other sim has aged, note this when we get into worlds adventures stuff, and university life. BTW I'm having Rose work on advanced technology now, in order to able to buy more stuff from the future for future generations.

Also while in the future Rose bought never dull as LTR, in order to help her do a mission

Also Mark maxed alchemy those paying close attention should know what that means.

Mark completed his lifetime wish of maxing three skills.

So Lucy used fairy magic to create some mermadic kelp, but not for herself she gave it to her son mark

Mark then used the mermadic kelp and became a mermaid or a merman rather. He could still walk on land but he could now swim in the ocean freely

First off I think I'm gonna have sims each founder explore the different occult states throughout the challenge but after they have kids to avoid all the kids from having freakishly long life spans and having every single kid be a supernatural (besides imaginary friend but that occult state is beyond trivial). Second off the mermadic kelp life time reward gives you an item that allows you turn any sim into a mermaid Second off let me explain mermaids, they can still walk on land just now have scales on their legs. They instead of having hygiene (they are always squeaky clean) have "hydration" meter, which means that they occasionally need to go into water or die of dehydration, they also need to go into salt water occasionally or turned back in regular sims. They also start with MAX scuba diving skill which means I can cheese that dive spot unlock assuming adding a dive spot is possible. Mermaids favorite food is always Kelp, are capable of eating rare fish, and less satisified by normal sim food. They also swim faster and are immune to drowning and don't surffer decompression when they are done with a dive. A mermaid needs to swim in salt water for 48 hours or risk getting "adapting to Land", and lose your mermaid abilities. (The moodlet manager also handles that too i believe)

In other news, Anne maxed Logic.

Anne is now is moving onto athletics, while she is a coach potato that doesn't seem to hurt her athletic skills, she not leveling noticeably slower, and while she's not rolling the usual "work for x hours" wishes, she doesn't get any special negative moodlets from excersizing.

So as the years went by the twins aged up to toddlers

It became an all hands on deck effort to make sure this could walk, talk and poo poo on time

Also notice the strangeness of Marks arms here, why is he streching them like that

ALso that wierd "go to the corner of the map to dispose the contents of the potty chair bug" is still alive and well and happens EVERY time they dispose trash. I have no idea why, can someone with a knowledge of program and pathfinding explain it to me?

For those that care, Stacy is at 105 days now, and shows no sign of dying, i guess that Marathon running skill challenge reward REALLY extended your lifespan.

So Mark used his general handiness to invent a teleportation pad

In case your wondering the teleportation pad, allows you teleport anywhere in town, it's... actually not as useful as the moodlet manager honestly and not really worth the life time happiness price tag especially in such a small town.

Also added the teleportation pad to the house.

Also in other news Anne maxed athletics which FINALLY means we can move out Daniel and Anne out of the house

SHe also completed her lifetime wish

I build them a new house relatively close by, I was trying to be cheap possible since their morgage comes out of OUR money. BTW, I added a crib and stuff so they could story progression children possibly it probably won't happen but you never now.

Also before the move out, I bought a food replicator with Anne life time happiness and made sure to transfer all of their inventory to other sims.

the food replicator replicates food it's only really useful for a certain exploit with ambrosia but other than that it's kind of lame.

So Brian got attached to Susan and the two are in seperatable

Translation: Susan will become an imginary friend

Also Rose got Lucy to use some fairy magic on her to make dirt defiant

Dirt defiant makes it so sims get dirty much less quickly.

Also Rose got Lucy to use sme fairy magic to make her more carefree

Carefree boosts your fun motive by 25%

So I got bored and decided to make Mark a firefighter

Not long after Mark became a firefighter, Maria quickly grew attached to Darren as much as Brian was with Susan

So I got bored with lucy and have a goal of making her life as absurding long as possible so the first thing i did was have get the logging skill challenge which boosts her life span (IDK how much though, Stacy has it and still hasn't died so a good chunk at least)

One thing i noticed is it seems the base "Mood" of a sim is somewhat random, seems to be based on play session or day because notice how Lucy as nothing but postive moodlets (and a rather strong one at that), but is still considered "sad". This might be a bug or something.

So I tried to get mark to boost his relationship with the other firefighters, but using friend potions made them friends but didn't boost preformance but the profession thing says befriending your coworkers would. Also Story progession made anne a firefighter coolio.

After only fighting one fire at Daniel and Anne's house
(forgot to screen shot that I'm sorry) Mark that being a mermaid made being a firefighter overwhelming and decided to quit being a firefighter and continued the family tradition of being unemployed but still have an absurd amount of money.

Also we bought this thing I'll explain what it's useful for in a later update

So apparently when reading a book to learn logic, apparently brain thought it was logical to sit ON the book while reading it.

So both Brian and Maria aged up. Brian became an equestrian while Maria became a loser

So equestrian sims build relationships with horses faster than other sims, equestrian sims learn the riding skills faster and horses will learn skills faster when training with equestrians, as well the recieve a negative moodlet from seeing their horse's ghost and gain fun from riding a horse. It's obviously only useful if you have a horse

Loser sims are more likely to recieve a negative event at work/school, when receiving opportunities loser sims have a higher chance of failling, will break down in tears if something negative happens ot them, complain more in conversations, less likely to win in video games, very unlikely to win fights, get a more potent Winner moodlet when they DO manage to win games, also when they are promoted, at a slight disadvantage in all major in the college, flee from the emporer of evil, very likely to lose bar brawls. BUT their is one upside, they can only die of old age, any other death the grim reaper revives you, out of pity and ammusement it's actually kind of funny.

So both Brian and Maria made their imaginary friends real quickly using their grandfather's potion making.

Darren is an Eccentric Night owl who loves to swim and Susan is a Inappropriate, Neat sim with a good sense of humor

Explaining time: Night Owl grants a postive moodlet for being up late (11 pm to 5 am), and a negative moodlet from being up early (6 am to 10 am), and they gain more fun interacting stargazing, searching the galaxy or painting. Not that useful but not that awful either they are worse traits, not great of a kid who has to go to school though

Loves to Swim learn scuba diving skill faster than other sims, can swim longer than other sims, and have a 30% higher chance to win fights against sharks (which a thing that can happen that I didn't know till just now). That seems like it's it, man the later expansion pack traits are really bare bones.

Inappropriate sims, easily insult other sims, won't always dress properly for an occassion, can try to kiss, tickle or even propose marriage super early (this might be useful with insane sims who have 50/50 rate to accept marriage proposals regardless of anything, grant a bonus to writing the humor genre, can talk about other sims when they are near by, rummage through garbcanes, sponge bath themselves in the sink and make innapprioate forum posts on the computer, they autonomously insult other sims which is kind of annoying actually.

Neat sims will autonomously clean, have fun while clean, and make objects "cleaner than normal" (IDK what than means), are able to clean in bad mood, won't use dirty objects, have the ability to just "Clean House" entirely which cleans up everything like a maid (It's suprisingly useful honestly) and they will always wash their hands after using the totels, and recieve wishes to clean. It's generally a useful trait espeically for a "Stay-at-home-sim".

Good Sense of Humor means taht other sims laugh at their jokes more, more receptive to others jokes, jokes boost relationships more, have a better starting relationship with other sims, more humor actions avaible than normal, react postively to pranks, write better humor books and autonomously use humorous actions more common. Seems useful but i barely notice the effects honestly

Side Note: Both Brian and Maria inherented the imaginary friend occult state from their mother all this occult state does allow them to transform into a toy form.
Here's Maria's

Here's Brian's

So you guys have 4 sims: Maria, Brian, Darren and Susan to vote for building unlocks for, here are the buildings I'm allowing:

1. Criminal Warehouse - Maxed Athletics and Logic, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($50,000)
2. Bistro - Maxed Cooking, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($37,500)
3. Day Spa - Buy (not partner) the rabbithole (no skill requirement). ($50,000)
4. Diner - Maxed Cooking, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($24,000)
5. Office Building - Maxed Charisma and Writing, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($58,000)
6. Theater - Max any instrument (Guitar, Bass, Drums, Piano) and Logic. ($58,000)
7. City Hall - Maxed Charisma (no money requirement).
8. Graveyard - Must purchase the lot (no skill requirement).
9. Military Base - Maxed Handiness and Athletics (no money requirement).
10. Art Gallery - Maxed Painting, and must purchase the lot.
11. Fishing Spot - Maxed Fishing, and must purchase the lot.
12. Gym - Maxed Athletics, and must purchase the lot.
13. Library - Maxed Writing, and must purchase the lot.
14. Pool - Maxed Athletics, and must purchase the lot.
15. Small Park - Maxed Gardening (no money requirement).
16. Chinese Garden - Maxed Photography, and must purchase the lot.
17. Consignment Shop - Maxed Sculpting, and must purchase the lot.
18. Hangout - Maxed Charisma (or Mixology if you have Late Night), and must purchase the lot.
19. Junkyard (regular or no visitors) - Maxed Inventing (no money requirement).
20. Laundromat - Must purchase the lot (no skill requirement).
21. Salon - Maxed Painting (no money requirement).
22. Disco Club - Max any instrument, at least One Star Celebrity Status, and must purchase the lot.
23. Dance Club - Max any instrument, at least One Star Celebrity Status, and must purchase the lot.
24. Poolside Club - Max any instrument, at least One Star Celebrity Status, and must purchase the lot.
25. Sports Bar - Maxed Mixology, and must purchase the lot.
26. Local Watering Hole - Maxed Mixology, and must purchase the lot.
27. Dive Bar - Maxed Mixology, and must purchase the lot.
28. Fusion Lounge - Maxed Charisma, at least Three Star Celebrity Status
29. Vampire Lounge - Maxed Charisma, Sim earning the lot must be a vampire, and must purchase the lot.
30. Exclusive Lounge - Maxed Charisma, at least Three Star Celebrity Status
31. Coffeehouse - Must earn a Big Park with a stage first, and reach Level 10 in any performance career (no money requirement).
32. Gypsy Wagon - Maxed Alchemy, Charisma, and Logic and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($16,000)
33. Vault of Antiquity - Maxed Alchemy and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($22,000)
34. Elixir consignment store - Maxed Alchemy, and must purchase the lot.
35. Supernatural hangout - Maxed Charisma (or Mixology if you have Late Night), must be a supernatural being of some sort, and must purchase the lot. (Not counting imaginary friend for this BTW)
36. Festival grounds - Maxed Cooking and Athletics (no money requirement)
37. Arcade - Max Jock Group and must purchase the lot.
38. Java Hut - Max Gardening and Cooking and must purchase the lot.
39. Nerd Shop - Max Nerd Group and must purchase the lot.
40. Rebel Hangout - Max Rebel Group and must purchase the lot.
41. Student Union - Max all three Social Groups (no money requirement).
42. Resort - Maxed Charisma and must purchase the lot.
43. Diving Area - Maxed Scuba Diving (no money requirement).
44. Cafeteria - Maxed Advanced Technology, and must purchase the lot.
45. Gallery Shop - Maxed Advanced Technology, and must purchase the lot.
46. Business Park - Must earn a Legacy Statue, and must purchase the lot.
47. Future Lounge - Maxed Charisma, must earn a Legacy Statue, and must purchase the lot.

Remember you have 4 different to vote for.

Side Note; Stacy is at 110 days, I'm seriously considering killing him at this point, but I kind of want to see when he FINALLY dies of old, i guess we'll have to wait and see what i decide to too with him eventually.

Also I'm thinking of movign back to daily update IDK how good massive updates are this took a LONG time to make.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

sincx posted:

Not sure if you covered this already, but is there a reason you designed the house the way you did (i.e. huge rooms with the cheapest decor possible and no windows)?

1. Huge rooms is just because when I design stuff I'm bad at estimating how much space i'll need (this is most obvious with bathrooms which I usually greatly overestimate but they are some upsides: it prevents sims from complaining their isn't enough enough space to do something, and if I want to add something I can add something without creating an extra room unless it's something that requires privacy.
2. Cheapest decor possible is for the obvious reason it's cheap, while expensive stuff is less likely to break, and cheap stuff occasionally gets you negative moodlets, and sims occasionally get negative moodlets, i have plenty of money but some of the building I'll need to unlock along the line are QUITE expensive (I'm talking possible in excess in $200,000), that being said the beds I picked (prior to the hover bed which are lifetime rewards, which are equilvanet to the best bed) are in fact NOT the cheapest, they just are higher quality beds by a considerable margin than their price indicates, so they are GREAT bargin (I'm guessing what happened is that during testing they originally higher price, then someone decided they looked at little cheaper and lowered the price, but forgot to change. Side Note: As far as I know their is no benefit to the better wallpaper and floortiles what so ever so going with the free ones is always better unless you care what your house looks like.
3. No windows because windows are impractical the only benefit they provide is avoiding a negative moodlet for having no light (they also provide decor bonus at higher costs but on the other hand so do Lights and paintings), however they don't provide light during night time, when lights (or this case caged candles that don't seem to ever run out of wax, and functional EXACTLY like lights) do so your gonna need lights regardless so their isn't much point in windows. I believe that sims that love the outdoors might appreciate windows so maybe I should have done it when Cody was alive.

Over all I design houses to be practical versus looking pretty, that being said they are some impracticability, like I like to display the certifitics they get for maxing skills despite that having no practical benefits (I don't BELIEVE they provide decor bonuses) plus they oddly sell for money $1000, that being said I added some paintings now, just because paintings have a practical benefit of having a decor bonus to moodlets when in the room.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Also closing the poll now because I'm starting play i random.org between disco club and elixir consignment store and it rolled consignment

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

General Revil posted:

Shame I missed voting. A few comments: Please spend a little more time proofreading. Even reading through your post before you submit it should help. There's some glaring typos and run on sentences that are getting in the way of reading the LP.

Also, I know you want to get started playing ASAP, but this voting period wasn't even open for 24 hours. Do you think something like this would work? Open the vote for goals when a kid is born (or imaginary friend confirmed). Make multiple smaller updates, and then only lock in the votes for goals once the kids grow up into teens. It might be a little harder to min-max like you are now, but it gives us time to vote, and for you to play, without having to leave a gap where only one thing or the other is happening. But, it's your LP, do what you think works best.

Hooray for having a firefighter. Now we can have appliances catch fire to our heart's content.

First off, I'm definitely gonna have to do more proofreading. And based on personal experience I would agree that the voting period should probably just end when the kids become teenager. Honestly from play right now in between handling the children's need, doing homework, and going to school, sleep, and the fact I'm currently managing 8 sims right now, the kids barely have time to skill. Besides like half of the skills in the game are off-limits to children anyways (Alchemy, Charisma, athletics, gardening etc). However teenagers while still have school now, they don't have to worry about moodlets and motives thanks to the moodlet manager being OP. So they'll likely have considerably more time to skill.

And yeah I should probably not have done that massive update I'll keep them shorter than that next time. I can admit the last update was a bit overwhelming, with Mark and Rose starting this update as teenager, and ending the update married with two school aged children plus those two school aged children having two imaginary friends that turned real. Let's not forget Mark becoming a mermaid, Mark becoming a firefighter briefly, Rose exploring the future, and all the skill maxing we did.

BTW how would people about a reformatted trait explanation? The format of "Pros-Neutral-Cons-Overall" might be interesting and allows a proper analysis of the trait. All the information of the traits comes one of three places: Carls Sim Guide, the sims wiki, or in some cases the in game description. Some of it might not be reliable though, but I'll try to note the questionable stuff when it comes up.

Ambitious
Pros
Get promotions and raises faster than other sims
Get 15% more Lifetime Happiness points from fulfilling a wish or a lifetime wish
If you have Sims 3: Generations installed, ambitious sims are 10% more likely to experience a midlife crisis (yes I'd argue this a positive since you can just ignore midlife crisis wishes and it has no downsides, but fulfilling them grants a positive moodlet.)
Get wishes relating to high tier financial goals more often than other sims.
Elderly Ambitious sims often wish for their children reach a certain tier in a career they were a part of.
React positively when being asked about their careers, strangely even if their unemployed
According to the game they also excel at university.
Neutral
Ambitious children or teenagers sims will have possible future lifetime wishes appear more often.
Cons
Get 'Anxious to Advance' moodlet if it's been a while since they've received a raise/promotion or improved a skill.
Overall
This is a very good trait, one of the best in the game honestly. The extra lifetime happiness points are helpful and the bonus to careers is useful for sims that have a job. Always consider this on any sim you create. The 'Anxious to Advance' moodlet is kind of annoying but with either moodlet manager or just leveling a random skill from 0 to 1, it's a non-issue most of the time.

Also I'm considering adding an "experimental corner" where I put these traits to the test to see how much these traits actually effect things because a lot of the information i find is hearsay and peoples biased observation rather found by experiment or reading the game data. Even effects the game lists in the official description are questionable because the game is fairly poorly programed, particularly with traits that come from expansion packs.

Also I tried thoroughly proofreading this reply, how did I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Sorry for the delay in updates here have a somewhat short update:

To start things off: i added two new bedrooms, for the imaginary friends turned real. Since we now have 4 sims who have sleep needs, all of whom refuse to sleep with each other, the extra beds are necessary. Because I have money to blow, I decided to add the cheapest beds that have the highest sleep, comfort, and environment bonuses possible (basically meaning these are the highest quality beds at the lowest cost you can get them)

Also one of the kids wished for a seesaw so I complied for some extra lifetime happiness points.

Also I added an extra bathroom because with 4 kids, it was getting to the point where one was wanting to use the bathroom when the other was in there. This will hopefully reduce the clutter. Also I followed the "highest quality but lowest cost possible" rule when designing this bathroom.

So while searching through the town, I believe I was looking for fishing spots for Lucy at the time, I found this ghost stuck in the rocks. I've noticed prior to this the ghost was always an option for the moodlet manager when outside of the house, but to learn why is interesting. In case your wondering who she is, she's a random townie that caught on fire from being outside too long and died however many updates ago.

Also because I forgot to actually add the police station till now even though Anne has already moved out, granted she's still in the town so by the original challenge rules it's not exactly cheating I mean show the police station, here it is.

Darren is working on Fishing right now because I don't really have much else for him to do, since he can't work on Alchemy yet. I later had him work on the Blocks and Toy Oven to increase Handiness and Cooking respectively.

So I have all of Mark, Maria, and Susan working on Logic right now using telescopes. I'm using telescopes because telescopes are money makers unlike every other way to earn logic as far as I know.

So this might be against the spirit of the challenge, but I was checking the game's achievements and noticed I received a gift from EA. I know this is probably just randomly given during play, but I like to pretend that someone at EA noticed someone was still playing the Sims 3, and decided to give me a gift to me for my commitment.

The gift was a Vial of Opposite Personality. What it does, from what I understand is this: for every trait a sim has that has an incompatible trait associated with it, it will replace it with that. If that trait has two or more traits that are incompatible with it will randomize between them. If the trait has no incompatible traits it simply won't change.

So I probably shouldn't have done this but I was bored and decided it might be fun: I had Lucy drink it.

For reference here were Lucy traits before she drank the potion.

And here are her traits after she drank the potion. Hydrophobic became Loves to Swim, Good became Evil, Can't Stand Art became Artistic, Brave became Loser (for some reason Brave and Loser are mutually exclusive which is strange to me because I can imagine a Brave Loser, I'd imagine Coward be the more appropriate opposite here) and Frugal has no opposite so it didn't change.

So since I've already explained Loves to Swim, Loser, and Artistic, and Frugal didn't change. I only have one trait to explain:

Evil
Pros
Get a "Fiendishly Delighted" moodlet when bad things happen to other sims, including them dying
Don't mind a lack of light
Get a bonus to the criminal career track
More likely to win fights
If a mermaid has this trait they can summon Sharks
Get a slight fun boost from watching non-friends and non-household members die
Can steal candy from newborns and toddlers
Can pay money undermine charities once a day for a positive moodlet
Will often have wishes to visit the graveyard, see a ghost, or to see the ghost of a living sim (especially one they don't get along with)
Are Immune to the creepy graveyard moodlet and aren't scared of vampires or bugs.
Apparently can "Shakedown" other sims for money if you have Supernatural installed.
Never get the "Upset" moodlet when fighting with a friend or family member.
Often wish to befriend over Evil Sims upon discovering they both share the evil trait.
Neutral
Instead of being able to wish for world peace from the genie they can instead wish for world misery (neither of these wishes really do much so it's neutral)
If witches have this trait they can summon poisoned apples by command where as non-evil witches instead only summon regular apples
Evil Sims will always laugh when "mourning" a dying sim unless that Sims was a friend or part of the Household.
Sometimes when walking into a room, an Evil Sim will rub their hands together and laugh maniacally.
Cheer for Sims that are Emperors of Evil.
Autonomously "Shoo Off" cats on furniture, even if the cat is asleep.
Evil sims do a bunch of things "Evil" like "Take an Evil Shower" but that doesn't effect the actual interaction
Cons
Will autonomously be mean to other Sims when misfortune strikes the other sim.
Other Sims will be cautious around evil sims (IDK what this means though), Good sims or in the Law Enforcement career especially so.
Have a hard time befriending Unicorns and the relationship between Evil Sims and Unicorns relationship will decay faster.
Overall
This trait is mostly useful for excelling in the criminal career track honestly, the rest of it's effects are mostly flavor stuff.

So since Lucy now loves art instead of hating it. I had her work on painting for a little extra cash.

If you're wondering why Mark is exercising when he already maxed Athletics, it's because he's a celebrity (all the house is a celebrity at this point so their isn't much reason to point it out), and rolled the "Work out for 4 hours to boost your celebrity status" opportunity.

Also since Stacy has maxed Athletics and Logic as well and doesn't have much to do, I decided to have him join the Law Enforcement career. I know it's a little late because he could literially die at any moment but I did it for two other reason:

1. I'm like 30% to 50% sure Stacy is somewhat bugged and that he is never gonna freaking die (He's at 118 days or something ridiculous like that), I'll just kill him off myself if he lasts too long (I'm gonna use him manages to max the Law Enforcement career before he dies as a bench mark).

2. The extra money doesn't hurt.

Also since I have an excess of money (I was seriously at 170,000 simoleons) I decided to replace all the cheap stuff in my house with a bunch of expensive stuff. Again using the logic of "the best quality possible at the lowest possible prices". This means stuff is less likely to break and sims will not get negative moodlets from using cheap stuff and instead get positive moodlets from having expensive stuff. Overall it wasn't that expensive I was still well over the 100,000 simoleons mark, I think around 130,000.

For those that missed the horses, here's a random horse that was just hanging around the school.

Also I should point that Stacy, the elder man with a wife got a date request from Anne, a married younger woman and also his daughter-in-law.

So all four kids are doing well in school and all of them made honor roll

So Susan also made honor roll (she got the moodlet for it) but strangely i didn't get a notification for it, it wasn't a case of me forgetting to screenshot it was a case of the notification never came up.

So Lucy maxed Athletics just because I was bored and had her work on athletics as well, she also kept getting the celebrity opportunity "work out for 4 hours and boost your celebrity status" opportunity and no it's not just because there's nothing to do in my town, it's a common event regardless.

So we have 5 birthdays on the same day. (Well technically 4 birthdays for reasons I'll explain later).

Rose became an Adult instead of a young adult. For the 0 of you that care. (If your wondering why Mark didn't also age up it's because her time in the future aged her up a little bit more than Mark).

Brian became a teenager, gain some weight (I seriously don't know where that weight comes from I never overfeed him or anything). Which means we can finally use the moodlet manager on him and became a Supernatural skeptic.

Supernatural Skeptic
Pros
Perform better in the Business, Political, Law Enforcement and Journalism career paths.
Neutral
None
Cons
Learns Alchemy slower
Leans Spell casting slower
Get a negative moodlet from fortunes and elixirs (and strangely potions made from chemistry even though those are "Scientific" in nature.)
Do not like being around Supernatural Sims, or even SIms with the Supernatural Fan trait
Cannot write horror genre literature.
Get scared by Bonehilda. (But don't runaway unlike Coward sims)
Overall
Only useful if you're a sim in Business, Political, Law Enforcement, or Journalism otherwise stay away because it's all negative

So Maria also aged up, gained not as much weight, at the same time and became Brooding.

Brooding
Pros
Can "Consider the Hollowness of Life" and "Contemplate the Meaning of Maning", which slightly raise the Sim's social and fun bars. (Though they can't consider the hollowness of life when at critical social need)
Can talk about feelings as a romantic interaction
Can write Poetry without needing Writing skill level 7
Neutral
Get the "misunderstood" moodlet when in a fight
Will often autonomously look out windows in their home
When mourning on a grave, they don't cry but will contemplate about the deceased.
Cons
Painting, Cooking and Writing are learned at a 10% slower rate
When losing a friend their social need hits rock bottom, and will want to brood for several hours.
Basically have a hidden "Brooding" motive which means they have to brood for several hours when it gets low.
Take showers for 50% longer
Overall
This is a flavor traits that is actually really annoying. I would basically never recommend it under any circumstance.

So then Susan aged up and became adventurous

Adventurous
Pros
Get an adventuring moodlet while traveling or in a tomb.
Can travel again faster than other sims 28.8 hour wait instead of 2 days.
Gain visa levels 20% faster than other sims
Apparently take more time to get the "Stir Crazy" moodlet, 9 days apparently
Have wishes while in tombs more often than other sims: Such as "Fully explore a tomb", "Find a hidden door" etc.
Do not fear the traps in tombs.
Neutral
None
Cons
None!
Overall
Very useful for traveling sims. Recommended highly for such a sim. Other sims don't have much of a point for this trait however.

So then Darren aged up and became a Perfectionist. However as you can see by my intentional revealing of the time, it was after midnight since he had wait so long to age up, so he is now considered one day younger than the other three teenagers.

Perfectionist
Pros
Cleans more thoroughly
Paint more valuable painting, books written make more money, and food cooked is higher quality
Become better architects
Can point out flaws at any point in other sims.
Autonomously clean and stuff
Provide bonus to writing the Historical Genre (for some reason)
Neutral
Never autonomously express humiliation or embarrassment to other sims
Cons
Cleaning takes longer
Takes longer to paint, write books and cook.
Overall
This trait is useful for writers or painters because the extra time, they take is in fact saving you money because get more of a bonus in the money make then the time they take. (That is if that page I read on painting a long time ago is to be believed). Also the wiki words this trait weirdly it makes it sound like they take longer to learn the skill, which if the detailed painting guide I read is right is even remotely true nor does it seem accurate based on the game description.

So Alien abductions are a thing, they were added in sims 3 season. The odds of getting abducted are interesting: the base odds per is only 2%. However using a telescope that day increases the odds by 13% and for every space rock you collect up to 2, it increases the odds by 37.5% each, for a maximum total of 90%. For female sims (and I'm guessing teenagers in general). Getting abducted doesn't do much, just a small 12 hour negative moodlet you can moodlet manager away. But for male adult sims this event is quite interesting but I'll get into that when it happens. Note this event combined with another few tricks will allow you to break the game without cheating. I might go into it much later in a future update, whether I do that myself, I haven't decided.

So I had Maria work on her athletics, I did cardio to get her thinner, yes I'm seriously doing this to a virtual teenager who's fat was literially out of her control when i'm obese myself, I'm a hypocritical monster.

I had Brian work on charisma since that's the one skill he needs for city hall.

I had Darren work on Alchemy and Susan work on music. And Stacy's working from home right now and I was wrong about something earlier, working from home does earn you money you just don't get a notification about it or anything for some reason.

So another random townie/paparazzo caught fire from being outside for too long and died.

And Darren locked in his Life time wish of maxed alchemy and using 50 elixirs, shouldn't be too hard.

Also bought Permanent Mermaid with Marks Lifetime reward points this means he doesn't have to worried about needing salt water or anything.

Also Brian bought the "Fast Metabolism" lifetime reward to help him slim down a bit.

Rose also bought the Body Sculptor which is a superficial life time reward: it makes a sim as bulky, thin, fat or weak-looking as you desire (within the game limitations, you can't really make a She-Hulk or anything like that.).

Here's what the Body sculptor looks likes for those that are curious.

Also Mark became a full blown adult as well, no longer a young adult.

And got a midlife crisis. I'd say "gently caress" but midlife crisis are actually a good thing.

That's the end of the update I thoroughly proofread as much as I could, though they are probably still typos feel free to point them out. I even used a "Text to Speech" feature on my computer to make sure they weren't any obvious missing works or anything like that.

• Locked thread