Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Samovar posted:

This does make me genuinely wonder why they would associate at all with these groups. For what reason?

hatred of progressives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Samovar posted:

This does make me genuinely wonder why they would associate at all with these groups. For what reason?

They want their ideology all the way to the point where they’re the target of said ideology. They’ve convinced themselves that it’s just darned SJW women that are excluded, they as conservative white women are fine and welcome.

They of course miss the fact that white supremacy is also misogynistic and regressive in how it views women. Shocker!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

While trying to find out who Tara McCarthy is I came across this Youtube channel Hi, I Think I'm Real who seems to be some 'centrist' alt-righter who did a video on McCarthy calling her a SJW back in August, he seems to have done these videos on a few of the alt-right women so I guess they're just not alt-right enough.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Samovar posted:

Same reason as the men.
Expect they dont realize the ideology does not benefit them as much. They hear white supremacy and blut and ehre but forget that their intended duty to the eternal reich is 'make babies'.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

None of them realize what would happen to them if they won even slightly. They think they’d be Ilsa She Witch of the SS and not euthanized for producing sub-optimal children.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Have any of these fucks endorsed the Nazi Aryan baby farms run by the chicken farmer guy?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

Some people say it mangled established lore. Does that matter now that 3 came out and pissed on everything?

uhhh what.

(ds2 is amazing and i love how weird it is and how it's more like a side story than a proper sequel but 3 is a better game just design wise and as an actual sequel to 1.)

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 5, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Groovelord Neato posted:

uhhh what.

(ds2 is amazing and i love how weird it is and how it's more like a side story than a proper sequel but 3 is a better game just design wise and as an actual sequel to 1.)

I think he means the lore, in that DS3 did the TFA and Rogue 1 Reference thing instead of actual good writting

"I recognized Sigmeyer and then I clapped!!!" "ANOR LONDO!" etc.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I think he means the lore, in that DS3 did the TFA and Rogue 1 Reference thing instead of actual good writting

DS2 is more guilty of that than DS3. Most people don't praise DS2, they trash the other games. DS2 rehashes a lot of DS1 bosses with little creativity.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that's rogue one. the tfa comparison is more apt since it's a sequel and you would be seeing similar people/places.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Samovar posted:

They like the idea of being a housewife who is subservient to their husband but mistakenly thought that their male counterparts came to the same conclusion due to ideology and not misogyny.

I mean, Phyllis Shafly got pretty famous advocating for her own oppression. The difference is the mainstream right is smart enough to put useful idiots in the spotlight (remember that 12 year old conservative speaker who was popular for a while?), the alt right is a bunch of angry trolls though and cares more about causing pain that actually advancing any of their beliefs.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Samovar posted:

Same reason why clowns like David Clarke and Ben Carson are republicans.

They are mentally ill.

temple posted:

DS2 is more guilty of that than DS3. Most people don't praise DS2, they trash the other games. DS2 rehashes a lot of DS1 bosses with little creativity.

DS2 and DS3 both have an unacceptable amount of fan service and call backs to DS1. It's lazy all around. It's also acute because none of the games, Demons Souls included, have been good on the writing front so there's no cohesive, tight narrative to tie it all together.

In addition..2 was mechanically lovely and the areas were a mass of uninspired randomness that sort of blended listlessly into itself.

Really, DS2 is poo poo and the people that like it probably like it because that's the first one they played or they recently fell down and hit their heads on something.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 5, 2017

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

TyroneGoldstein posted:

DS2 and DS3 both have an unacceptable amount of fan service and call backs to DS1.

DS2 barely has any though other than Ornstein, and DS3 has a whole bunch because the point of that game is Dark Souls the video game series needs to end so they can go on to do other things. edit: Seriously, it's not just "Oh it's Anor Londo!" it's "Oh it's Anor Londo and oh jesus it's covered in slime and oh god that gross slug ate most of Gwyndolin and oh man everything's just gone to poo poo."

bessantj posted:

While trying to find out who Tara McCarthy is I came across this Youtube channel Hi, I Think I'm Real who seems to be some 'centrist' alt-righter who did a video on McCarthy calling her a SJW back in August, he seems to have done these videos on a few of the alt-right women so I guess they're just not alt-right enough.

Well yeah, she's a woman talking politics. Hopefully this whole thing helps some of these women understand that just because they're white and say the right things doesn't mean a bunch of misogynists aren't gonna treat them like poo poo for being women.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 5, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's the best. It has a dream like quality to its story and progression unmatched by the others. It's David Lynches dark souls. Some people say it mangled established lore. Does that matter now that 3 came out and pissed on everything? BB > DS 2 > DS 1 > DS 3.

This is my feeling too.

Though I haven't played BB cos I don't have a console.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

In defense of both DS2 and 3, the series is kind of obsessed with themes like time repeating itself, memories, corruption ect. It's perfectly in keeping with these narratives to have old characters and locations constantly reappearing, looking familiar yet different and "wrong" each time they do. I think the old lady in the DS2 intro acknolwedegs this when she talks about Drangleic, which could well be Lordan in the future: "Perhaps your familiar? No, how could you be..."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

This is my feeling too.

Though I haven't played BB cos I don't have a console.

bloodborne is the best game ever made.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Bloodborne is not Doom from 1991.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

TGLT posted:

DS2 barely has any though other than Ornstein,

Then you've not paid attention. NG+ has boss souls from DS1 dropping from bosses.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Then you've not paid attention. NG+ has boss souls from DS1 dropping from bosses.

I'm aware. It's the lore explanation for why they have the capabilities they have and why they are the way they are. Also Nashandra and the other queens are fragments of Manus. edit: There's a few weapons also, but Ornstein is the only thing that comes to mind that just seems to exist because. Heide's Tower of Flame is probably not Anor Londo and Ornstein probably did die back there, so shadow Ornstein is pure cameo.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 5, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

TGLT posted:

I'm aware. It's the lore explanation for why they have the capabilities they have and why they are the way they are. Also Nashandra and the other queens are fragments of Manus.

... So because they say it's lore, it's suddenly not fan service or a callback. Then nothing in DS3 is fan service or a call back because it's got lore explanations as well. Except Andre, as far as I can remember.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ornstein and smough in ds1 were illusions.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

... So because they say it's lore, it's suddenly not fan service or a callback. Then nothing in DS3 is fan service or a call back because it's got lore explanations as well. Except Andre, as far as I can remember.

It's not lore, it's the story. The Great Souls and Manus are the old creeping back into the new. It's a game where the downfall of everything and everyone is obsession, it's fitting that for the main four this is partly an obsession with power and the past.

DS3 does have a lot of fan service, like Storm Ruler and Seigward basically being a slightly more brave Siegmeyer (edit: man I flipped them and got their names wrong, that is how much they are the same character and also how dumb that is), and probs demon ruins which is again trash poo poo, but a fair chunk of the stuff from the past isn't just fan service. I mean I haven't played the DLC so gently caress me if they went all in, but stuff like Anor Londo is back but rotten because the point of the game is things die and it's okay to let things end, and just desperately clinging on to things is bad. Like the endings for DS3 are: try to keep everything the way it is and fail, let things keep festering and be the king of a heavy metal album cover, or let the dark souls universe finally die so that something new can take it's place.

Groovelord Neato posted:

ornstein and smough in ds1 were illusions.

You got their souls so I'd say they were probably legit? I dunno that whole thing's weird.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 5, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ohhhhhh my god shut the gently caress up about Dark Souls.

Here's something relevant to the thread:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42232482

quote:

Google will dedicate more than 10,000 staff to rooting out violent extremist content on YouTube in 2018, the video sharing website's chief has said.

[...]

[Susan Wojcicki, Youtube Chief] said the website, owned by Google, had used "computer-learning" technology that could find extremist videos.

More than 150,000 of these videos have been removed since June, she said.

In March, the UK government suspended its adverts from YouTube, following concerns they were appearing next to inappropriate content.

And in a speech at the United Nations general assembly in September, UK Prime Minister Theresa May challenged tech firms to take down terrorist material in two hours.

The prime minister has repeatedly called for an end to the "safe spaces" she says terrorists enjoy online.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Youtube chuds are hollows and carl of swindon is a fat official from demon souls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looking forward to that resulting in an AI combining ISIS and stalinism and taking over the world.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Ohhhhhh my god shut the gently caress up about Dark Souls.

Here's something relevant to the thread:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42232482

No, all threads are Dark Souls threads.

But in response to that story, "computer-learning" hasn't exactly done a lot of good for content moderation on Youtube. I'd bet it's gonna start tagging a lot of videos about people discussing ISIS and poo poo alongside whatever ISIS videos it does catch.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Regarde Aduck posted:

BB > DS 2 > DS 1 > DS 3

Same feeling here, I played the order fairly wrenched up as people do sometimes, but still came out with 2 being my favorite of the actual Souls'es. I went from 1 to Demon's to 2 base (Which I hated then, it was on PS3 and ran like total crap it felt like) to Bloodborne to SotFS (Which I ended up enjoying a ton on PC) to 3. Part of what puts 3 so low for me is probably also just that it came out after Bloodborne, then was missing so much of the cool poo poo outta there, the entire playthrough of 3 I kept feeling like "Man, I miss trick weapons. This weapon skill system sucks. Parrying is so easy here." and it also didn't have any of the cool things 2 did either, power stance shenanigans, NG+'s being meaningfully different and also had crap features of it's own, like most everything to do with it's PvP.

WampaLord posted:

"And in a speech at the United Nations general assembly in September, UK Prime Minister Theresa May challenged tech firms to take down terrorist material in two hours. The prime minister has repeatedly called for an end to the "safe spaces" she says terrorists enjoy online."

:laffo: the oldest oldy statement possible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A reminder also that the british government wants all tech firms on the planet to stop using secure or end to end encryption because it means the british government can't look at whatsapps, and the home secretary thinks that their unwillingness to do this is wholly unreasonable.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

DS2 feels the most like a King's Field game and it excels because of that

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

Heck, it even has the King's Field style secret walls! I've never thought about it explicitly like that, but that's a good way of summarizing why I like the general "feel" of DS2.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

TGLT posted:

No, all threads are Dark Souls threads.

But in response to that story, "computer-learning" hasn't exactly done a lot of good for content moderation on Youtube. I'd bet it's gonna start tagging a lot of videos about people discussing ISIS and poo poo alongside whatever ISIS videos it does catch.

The schadenfreude thread is about to lose all its nut shot content because YouTube will see someone fall over and think it's a beheading video.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

A reminder also that the british government wants all tech firms on the planet to stop using secure or end to end encryption because it means the british government can't look at whatsapps, and the home secretary thinks that their unwillingness to do this is wholly unreasonable.
It's very quintessentially British, in the same way that "The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only law that applies in Australia is the law of Australia." is quintessentially Australian.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I agree with that but that's why DS2 sux. Its like playing original dragon warrior but in 3D.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

During the debacle The Left-leaning side; instead of mourning Hemper Fi (who tripped over his fedora and fell down the stairs, killing him instantaneously) had a serious debate over the Dark Souls 2 game where all the non DLC bosses were absolute dogshit and every room was a monster closet with 69 knight-style enemies.

Then the The Schadenfreude Gamer (His online persona is an animated .jpg of an Auschwitz Chimney) entered the fray with a video of his debunking all of the weakass Gamers thoughts, actually, scratch that one. He was debunking their feelings about Dark Souls 2.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Hey, guys, it's me, Dongicus.

Got a Destiny debate right here where he debates some freakin' retard for 3 hours who thinks it's ok that Mario got away with Goomba-Stomping (Could we find a better phrase guys?) an entire family of Goombas to death. Sickening stuff. And to think Peach rewarded him with a Golden Star for his crimes?

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

TGLT posted:

Looking forward to getting screwed over by this, what with my channel being full of videos with genocide/terror attack/etc in the titles. I hope it's a little smarter than a list of banned terms

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

it shaun posted:

Looking forward to getting screwed over by this, what with my channel being full of videos with genocide/terror attack/etc in the titles. I hope it's a little smarter than a list of banned terms

I hope you do fine.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
anyway what if a telepathically linked army of genetically enhanced supersoldiers were commanded by a creepy dude and it was up to hellobombdude to stop them but he accidentally jumps into an instakill plane while testing his slow motion skills?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

arfjason who was that obnoxious hon/dota poster you used to constantly dunk on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
what if hamburgerkabooman started doing townshend's windmill guitar strumming way too hard and started shredding himself into a badass chord progression that some a nordic johnny bravo would then use as the background for his skyrim rp playsessions?

• Locked thread