Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BillyBlanks posted:

Can we get a side by side comparison of a photo of you vs Armoured Skeptic or Shoe0nhead

He answered your challenge. Do you have the stones to do the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

BillyBlanks posted:

They post videos of themselves irl all the time. Do you even watch these channels that you constantly complain about ?

And also no, I didn't toxx myself I just asked the guy to show why he feels so superior to these 'alt-right' youtubers physically.

Why do you feel entitled to judge another person's physical appearance, Billy?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Did all this spawn from gamer gate or was that just the point where much of this became a thing? I'll never understand the internet.

GamerGate was a compaction cycle for the many factions in the Male Supremacy umbrella. That level of poo poo existed before, but mostly as a loose collection of unfuckable nerds trading tips, reassuring each other that they're not the only unfuckable ones out there, and whining about how minorities and women have so many more rights and privileges than white men. GG forced a lot of them to take a side on the matter of women in their favourite media, specifically "should we drive them out," and as a result the remaining movement is now smaller but harder, and much, much louder.

E: ElevatorGate was the big one for the Rationalists and Internet Athiests, GamerGate was the big one for MRAs and PUAs and their affiliate network of bullshit artists.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

Carl is so sad to think about. He's just a fat old man with no education or future. What will he do when this gravy train is up?

Write books and sell them to even sadder humans.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

mojo1701a posted:

I'm still not 100% familiar with the context, but how did this actually come about? I mean, I get that he might be stupid enough to think he can debate a Ph. D, but how does one convince an academic to debate a YouTube idiot?

The same way that you convince anyone of anything- keep it vague and let their assumptions guide them. Sargon of Akkad has acquired a rep for being a thinker. It's completely unearned and he's unable to actually live up to it but he has that rep. Winters probably assumed that he would earn it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

zoe quinn is not attractive dude. i know goons grade on a curve so i have to factor that in. it's also immaterial to gamergate.

So why fuckin' bring it up at all?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

PiCroft posted:

I wouldn't downplay the impact the reactionaries have. For a time, I was briefly enamoured with Sargon's rhetoric and I've been a lefty for almost my entire life. The Islamic terrorist attacks genuinely terrified me and when you see the propaganda of "The Muslims are coming to breed you out of your countries!!!" and you're already suspicious of them, it can drive you into some very dark places.

That's incidentally why Hbomberguy and S&J and others are so valuable. I'd already detached myself from Sargon before I discovered Shaun, but these videos operate along the same principle as an argument here, where you try to convince the audience, not necessarily your opponent.

It's also why I get really annoyed when people like Garret say "don't engage, just laugh" or in no-platforming stances in general. You can laugh, certainly, but when Hbomberguy did that masterful takedown of Sargon's attempt at debunking the 1-in-5 rape statistics, it drove home just what ignorant charlatans these people are in a way that a pithy putdown or a "I don't debate nazis" wouldn't have. It also applied when Sargon started parroting pro-Assad memes like the girl crisis actor, the girl who appeared in 3 photos that were purported to be of different events at different times. Someone pointed out it was debunked and why, and suddenly Sargon looks like a moron spouting tinfoil hattery.

I understand why people support no-platforming, but to me, the idea that people who can be convinced are being left to marinate in the toxic soup of reactionary ideas because some people won't stoop to slap down their arguments concerns me, perhaps because I once was floating in that soup.

I often wonder what would happen if you just played the Socratic irony card on every single thing that these fuckers say. Just let them spool out their underdeveloped philosophy out until it hits life story, then keep going until it becomes achingly, blazingly, un-ignorably clear that they're still not over the time Cassandra turned them down in high school and think that they would totally be getting laid more if she hadn't.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Midig posted:

I feel personally attacked.

On the one hand, sorry about Cassie, I'm sure she'd still like to get in touch.

On the other, that was a classic cold reading trick- be vague enough and aim at people who want to get hit, and surprise surprise you land one.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Erpisa, please for the love of God make an actual dedicated thread for your newest YouTube poo poo and move it out of here. You're getting to the point of making multiple-paragraph response posts and you're taking over a thread that really isn't supposed to be about you.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Huzanko posted:

My other guess was that she's dating some MRA dude now like Shoeonhead is. MRA dick must be magical.

I'm unwilling to believe that dating a shithead changes you into a similar shithead; I think that the shitheadedness must have been inside them all along and they only felt free to release it when they realised that they wouldn't lose the person they're with because of it.

And I have to imagine that they're mistaking traditional MRA post-coital clingy neediness as some sort of actual emotional connection, because they're similarly incomplete humans.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

bessantj posted:

Yeah who the hell watches American History X and thinks "That racist murderer has got it going on!"

"That racist murderer (played by an extremely attractive human being with transgressive tattoos and sexy muscles) probably gets laid heaps."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fados posted:

Yeah it's pretty ironic that now it's denominational churches like the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God (big in Brazil) that indulge in the worst excesses of pre-reformation Catholicism.

"Offshoot group that rejected original group accidentally recreates everything they hated about the original group" case example 1,138.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Goon Danton posted:

I mean, the standard ancap response to the roads question is to just repeat it back at the questioner in a silly voice and hope everyone gets too embarrassed to keep pushing on it, so mining his sources for inspiration will only get him so far.

I thought the standard response was "They'll be private" and then just... not think about it anymore, about what it actually loving means for a road to be private. What happens when private road A needs to connect to separately-owned-and-managed private road B?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm gonna post this here because it includes Sargon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzuKaTuk_lw

Goddamn catharsis straight to the veins

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yep pretty much. i mean the machine game wolfensteins are weird mix of exploitation film/Tarantino violence and ideas, amazing characters/moments/a sex scene that wasnt creepy or exploitative and man in high castle. everyone should play it. its made by most of old starbreez studios, who made riddick games and the darkness 1(2 is good too) and syndicate(which was pretty good on its own). seriously buy new order, its cheap as gently caress right now.

No kidding, that was one of the classiest sex scenes I've ever seen in a video game. It's also a really well done example of a middle aged straight white male protagonist (ie, he's interesting and fun to play)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

According to this diagram of fine intelligent people I found, Carl is the sane rational centrist:

I'll never forgive The Angry Video Game Nerd and That Guy In The Glasses for making "capitalised non-proper noun" into a naming convention. I include "description + first name" in that set.

Still, it's a solid way to spot the knockoff idiots.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

is it really hard to fathom twitter hiring someone to actually look at reports?

Do you have any idea how loving much data Twitter gets through on a second-by-second basis

Like, can you even comprehend the idea of hiring "someone", even a team, even a large team, to deal with the sheer volume of the tweets that get reported?

I want you to tell me how long it would take you to determine that a) the report was valid, given that you're also asking for b) the circumstances of the tweet to be taken into account and c) the identities of both the tweeter and the @s to be assessed.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Maluco Marinero posted:

Nothing. The title of a cooking episode was called 'Orange Fool' (because that's the name of the recipe) and it came out marginally close to July 4th. So a whole bunch of people flipped out thinking it's a Trump dig.

If you hear the words "Orange fool" and think "Huh they must mean the guy I support who is currently president" then... you fuckin' mad.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

wtf I hate notch now

Oh, IFM, Notch has always been a piece of poo poo.

He just also happens to be a piece of poo poo in a lot of ways that a lot of groups can quietly ignore. He ripped off his friends, he stole the idea for his only good game, he hates women, he hates gays, and he's honestly confused why his money isn't magically getting him replacement friends and unpaid-for sex.

He's also really smug and certain that he's a lot smarter than he actually is.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
If I was a game dev and had a windfall of $2 billion, I'd fund about five hundred independent game studios to the tune of $2m each. That'd leave me a spare billion to throw around and five hundred games being made that otherwise might not be.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

This is easily the worst third of the 'democracy, the great silencer' triad.

You voted for A and A won? gently caress you, you can't complain when they do something you don't like.
You voted for B and A won? gently caress you, you can't complain, you lost, get over it.
You didn't even vote (maybe because of the above sentiments)? gently caress you, you can't complain then.

The end result, and the goal of the above, is that we should all just stop complaining and all political activity is reduced to a box checking exercise every N years.\

If you think you can't be angry at your winning candidate turning to poo poo, where have you been for the last eight years?

If you think you can't be angry at the other winning candidate being exactly the piece of poo poo he claimed he'd be, where have you been for the last six months?

If you don't help a situation, do you really think you have any right to be angry that it didn't turn out good?

I get that you're basically whining because you thought people would be fine with you voting for Johnson or whatever, but grow the gently caress up. In America's first-past-the-post system, not voting is the same as voting for whoever ends up winning; it is literally saying "Go ahead, someone else decide, I don't want to have a choice in this." Third party voting is identical to that, with the added bonus of being pathetically naive.

E: Also if you need your vote to be a statement of your pure and noble intent and not your, y'know, choice, then you really need to stop being such a precious little flower about politics. Politics is dirty and angry and cruel and unfair. Sorry, snowflake.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 10, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Did you not even read the fuckin' post you quoted?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

the defining moment in election 2016 for me was the day after the election: i was texting with a gay friend who was on public transport (big city) going to work and telling him "hey, you'll be fine dude, it's not the end of the world things will work out for the better" and then right in the middle of that, someone on the bus started harassing him because they thought he had voted trump and they were angry as gently caress

that was the moment when i realized that poo poo, people need to just calm down

While I'm sure you have a very real actual gay friend who totally exists, it must be nice to be able to look at the victory of a man who is willing to think that your friend shouldn't exist if that's what he's told to say, and a man who thinks your friend should be brainwashed and tortured until he isn't gay anymore, and say to your friend "It'll be fine" because you aren't going to be brainwashed and tortured.

Did your Mexican friend who is also real and exists need calming down too?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Encountered this dude after he got super defensive about Gamergate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNMThc65izA

Jesus, I couldn't make it 25 seconds in.

HBomb, Olson, Ellis and Shaun have really fuckin' ruined me for audio quality/script craftsmanship baselines.

E: This is loving torment dude, how am I 4 minutes in and he hasn't actually gotten anywhere on the topic, it's just reading a paper off the screen but he's screwing everything up and repeating himself. Did he never edit this? Did he listen to it? Did he... actually think that this was good?

E2: Seven minutes in, still working through the intro to a paper he wrote but the way he's reading it he has no idea what it actually is.

E3: Eight minutes. So far he's apologised for his spelling, his sentence construction, his pronunciation, his lack of citations and his actual arguments, all as preamble to actually getting to the point. He got hung up on the word "infidel," which he identified as a 'name,' for more than five seconds, and he ended up having to spell it out- again, this is in a paper he loving wrote. I'm gonna abandon this, as he's clearly in the 'too ignorant to even comprehend how wrong he is' camp. Why the gently caress did he make this?

Somfin fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 15, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

nobody in this thread has ever pointed to any of the videos in question

Because no-one accepted your challenge because we questioned its validity. Like, there are a lot of videos in this thread, and a lot of videos referenced by the videos posted in this thread. The least you could do is actually take in the content in this thread before you accuse it of not existing.

E: Can you post proof that you did in fact watch all of the videos that have so far been posted before you accuse us of not posting a video which contains the proof you're looking for, TIA

Somfin fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 16, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

The funny thing about Sargon is that I don't even get the impression he's purposely being dishonest when he does this. I think he's just honestly really stupid and doesn't understand how to do research and interpret what he finds.

He definitely doesn't read any more than he literally has to. He's got no idea how to interpret anything beyond outright statements and almost zero actual reading comprehension. More than that, I'm pretty sure he's got no curiosity left, intellectual or otherwise- he's not willing to investigate anything beyond the initial finding, which he takes at face value for the minimum amount of time before he confidently asserts that he understands it, which usually means "the title" and "the first picture."

Basically I'm not surprised he's on wingnut welfare, even being a computer janitor requires the ability to read.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Pitts, what evidence would prove to you that a person is, in your view, racist?

Please don't fill in for him, folks. I genuinely want to know this.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Yeah, as someone who was diagnosed as a kid, gently caress off with that special needs shaming poo poo.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zikan posted:

https://twitter.com/notch/status/887125928924647425

the fact that a billion couldn't provide him happiness due to the empty nature of his soul makes me feel fuzzy inside

It's deeply comforting that money does indeed corrupt people.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Goon Danton posted:

Virtue signalling was basically a sociology term for the stuff the Bible rants about the Pharisees doing.

If I'm not mistaken it was invented to describe people who espouse leftist views in public but vote Tory every time.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pembroke Fuse posted:

PittsburghLambic is a particularly obnoxious poster (with a turtle avatar) who spends a lot of time JAQing off in this thread. If you're not him, then you have my apologies for the confusion.

And to explain what folks were jumpin' on fallenturtle for, when I asked PL what kind of speech he would define as racist (since up until that point he'd just been pleading for South Park truth-is-in-the-middle "well is it really racism to say that black people are inherently more criminal?" noncommittalism), he whined that we'd definitely be able to find Sargon saying that exact thing he'd be hesitant to define something that thread regulars like to use as a devastating trump-card insult. E: And then bailed when the thread pointed out that this was some total coward poo poo.

Because that's what "racist" is, an insult, rather than an accurate description of 40% of Sargon's content.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 28, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

Shaun doing a pretty interesting video, combining actual history with taking down xenophobic bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqCCx4wj79o

I've started listening to the podcast he references and links to in this video. It's... pretty amazingly well done. Basically talking through the history of Rome as we can piece it together, while keeping always in the audience's mind that it's basically all bullshit from second-hand and non-historical sources but it tells us a huge amount about what Romans wanted to think their history was. It also consistently emphasizes that Rome was basically a war society glued together with mysticism and religion.

Of course, I don't know much about Rome, so... I dunno, I like it?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
I wonder how long it's going to take before "laurel + eagle" is just a generic symbol for "evil" and no-one will remember where it came from

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

hate speech doesn't give you legal or moral license to commit crimes against the speaker

Discendo, you should take care not to conflate 'moral' and 'legal' in your mind. Remember that we're less than two hundred years out from slavery being finally declared illegal in the United States. That poo poo has never been moral. Still isn't.

Is it legal to assault someone if they're openly delivering rape threats to a Muslim woman on a bus? gently caress no.

Is it moral to do so? Eh, you should probably verbally explain why you're doing it first. That way the Pavlovian response kicks in and they learn not to do it again in future. Morally, you should always give someone a chance to back down.

If they don't take it, it is correct to establish a link between talking poo poo and getting hit in the mind of the bigot.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

fallenturtle posted:

Yes, as in there's a lot of them not literally infinite. Why would you assume I meant a literally infinite supply of Nazis?

Surely, then, there will come a time when the punching will cease, due to 100% of the nazis being punched.

E: Anyway, we're fine with immoral acts which facilitate other, more moral acts, at least at a societal level. I wouldn't want the Confederacy to have won. That doesn't mean I think killing is okay, I just agree with the justification in that case.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

it shaun posted:

He's been arguing with holocaust deniers lately so they probably false flagged him. Or y'know, just correctly flagged his many bad tweets

Doesn't he send people he's arguing with gay porn from his vast library of ironically cultivated gay porn?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Its just some idiot with a troll character, dont take my words out of context you dingus.

What's the difference between "trolling" and "ironically racist"?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

rkajdi posted:

For reals, buying sex from some poor woman (because I feel bad for any woman who has to erotically touch that douchebag) is not a kink, any more than other sex crimes are "kinks". It's just a man too pathetic to normally negotiate sex pretending to be a functioning human until the hour runs out.

I'm not often going to go to bat for a shitbird, but actually buckling down and paying for sex, rather than whining endlessly about how he's not getting any, puts him above a dangerously significant portion of the internet's male population.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

boner confessor posted:

he has a wife tho

And she ain't banging him. Seems like a win-win.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

All right, I'll burn my youtube recommendations by watching this garbage. Quick take: Bad idea, usual bullshit about forms filled out in triplicate for position changes.

I had a thing I was gonna write about how his metaphors suck, but then it became really clear that he has never actually had sex with a living person. Like, the poo poo that he's saying is impressively ignorant of the practical nature of how sex works. Moreso than your usual MRA consent critic.

I'm guessing it's the lovely, whiny voice that's driving 'em away, dude. And then there's the words you're using that terrible voice to say. It's all just a bad combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

It's almost a recreation that preacher panel, but replace "where the gently caress is your chin" with "why do you have so many fuckin' chins"

• Locked thread