Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
There's also the rather cynical reality that they know they can't call themselves nazis even if much of their ideology can be easily mistaken for fascism. They're pretty dumb because they believe in a feminist conspiracy to destroy all white males, but they're smart enough to not actually be recorded as on the side of nazism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

quote:

/r/pussypassdenied is not for misogynists, racists, or otherwise douchy types of individuals.

Uh uh, who the gently caress is it for then mate. What kind of staggering inability to understand words does someone have to have in order to decouple the title's implication from this statement.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Holy poo poo:

quote:

Have the villains simply be misguided patriots forced into making their own nation vs. the will of an oppressive over-government, construed of all the people they turn their wrath against in their immediate surroundings. Their brutal physical and sexual violence towards their oppressors will then be explained as a reaction to harsh government policies and taxation, to show that both sides are wrong.

I'm dying. I'm dead. If this isn't satire, satire is dead because it is near impossible to lampoon this without just reprinting it as is.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

I was thinking of Aliens and Terminator 2 but yeah your right

I have no problems with strong female characters as long as they dont fall into "broken Mary Sue fanfic" mode

There are plenty of male characters that fall into "broken Mary Sue fanfic" mode. Who cares?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

aware of dog posted:

And for the record, this includes Luke freaking Skywalker

To be honest I put absolutely no thought into what male protagonists would be Mary Sue fanfic, but honestly it feels like 'all of them' would be only be slightly hyperbolic.

How common is the extremely competent male put upon by extraordinary circumstances, that always seems to make the morally correct decisions in times of hardship. Their flaws if present are typically presented as window dressing that doesn't impact upon their ability to finish their quest/battle whatever it may be.

- Aragorn
- Legolas
- Luke Skywalker
- John McClane
- Maximus in Gladiator
- Any Steven Seagal Character
- Any Tom Cruise Character
- Many Denzel Washington Action Characters

Hyper competent is common, not some outlier feminism forced upon movies. Im sure there are plenty more examples I could think of if I could be bothered.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's thanks to maximus landis lord of idiots misuing the term in regards to rey that it spread around the net.

Yes, and people are far more willing to level that complaint against a female character than a male, despite said female having very little to separate them from other idealised 'overly perfect' male protagonists. Which was my original point, I don't care for the term and even with these competent characters, sometimes that's not the point in a particular narrative.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I kinda regret comparing the treatment of competent female characters vs their male counterparts given the amount of Star Wars discussion it triggered, but it is kind of telling that rather than address the broader point it devolved into arguing the mechanics of plot & particular films ad infinitum. Y'know it's okay for pieces of art to be flawed mechanically, especially pop culture art for mass consumption which is almost guaranteed to be. The constant droning on about plot mechanics to validate this or that is why cinema criticism has become such a wasteland.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nT9atOg0LA

Was Anita acting in good faith with her intentions?

Lol, find out next time as we breathlessly pore over Anita's every word to find a contradiction we invented by not listening to what she actually said, interpreting in the most ignorant way imaginable.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

do you have an actual criticism or are you just going to declare "look at this bad video guys" and hope everybody else nods in agreement, rubbing their chins

I thought it was pretty clear if you watch the video. They consider themselves to have 'caught' Anita Sarkeesian in a contradiction that undermines her ability to be a part of this debate. However, that's only a concession if they misinterpret her stating that many online behaviours which form part of an harassment strategy aren't legally defined as harassment. Adults discussing complex problems can't just rely on a single lens (legality) to understand and communicate ideas. Idiot children who treat opinions like they're team sports like to view issues through a single lens because it's far easier to arrive at a aha gotcha moment with a single lens. They also define themselves merely as 'the opposition', their actual opinions are nearly formless because they need to keep them that way in order to 'win' the team sport.

They can only sustain themselves in a hugbox because there is no strength and conviction to their arguments at all, as demonstrated by every single debate engagement these folks have ever had.

edit: another reason they are 'the opposition', they're fuckin' defined by search terms. This is the way they make their money:

- Anita Sarkeesian
- Feminism
- VidCon
- PewDiePie
- etc etc

Whatever's getting the hits, that's what they're weighing in on, and they just keep on their team and everything will be fine.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 1, 2017

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The thing about the counter-culture is as much as they crave attention and reach, the moment it's provided they immediately regret it. If you do anything that gets media attention they'll report on it, because that's what the media is supposed to do, but in this day and age there is not much opportunity to put a media face on what you're doing.

It's all up there for people to see, message boards, YouTube vids, etc etc. Suddenly these self-styled counter-culture types realise they're the ones being reported on, and decide the reporters are the ones at fault for how their public output makes them look. People up in arms about the PDP 'hit piece' by the WSJ exhibit the same naïveté. If you're gonna reach people, don't be surprised when media reaches back. They only use what you give them typically, it's not the media's fault if what you give them makes you look bad.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

WampaLord posted:

You are also not a news organization that reports on news.

They didn't do it out of spite. It became news, thus they reported on it.

Imagine how weird it would be for every other network to cover this story and CNN just does nothing.

Yeah. This isn't hard. News organisations report on news. Reddit and twitter are not just some cordoned off internet land now, the POTUS is an active participant in it. News happens there, and it is reported on.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

as a matter of fact, a simple "lol, we have no comment on president gif's gif" would have been both more intelligent and more respectable than what cnn did

Given the history of where it's led in the past, don't you think a national leader vigorously opposed to a free media is more newsworthy than lolworthy?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Mr Interweb posted:

lost from this entire discussion is the fact that the most powerful man on the planet got mad at a news outlet and reacted in the way you'd expect an edgy 12 year old would

But, but, ethics in journalism!

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Who What Now posted:

What did he even say that made people poo poo themselves?

Nothing. The title of a cooking episode was called 'Orange Fool' (because that's the name of the recipe) and it came out marginally close to July 4th. So a whole bunch of people flipped out thinking it's a Trump dig.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

WampaLord posted:

They are. Everyone that voted for Johnson/Stein did not get what they wanted, nor would they ever. Johnson polled at 10% at his peak, I think, with Stein far below that.

Like, just being pragmatic, it's a total loving waste of your vote.

Unless you lot get reform for preferential voting like we have in Australia, third party is just a bad vote. But who's gonna bring in a reform like that, doubt it suits the majors at all to do so.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

"Intelligence Quotient are racist"

lol what evidence do you have to back this up?

Many systems intended to be objective often end up just assuming the culture and prejudices of the people primarily involved in their creation and development. Surprise, surprise, many many many systems made through the lens of white males miss the forest for the trees whilst trying to be 'objective' measures.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

We are all guilty of thought crimes just based on our gender

If you're not prepared to confront fact that yeah, you probably do have internalised misogyny as a man in modern culture, then maybe you're a little too sensitive for adult discussions to take place around you.

We have to give a name for thoughts which, as hurtful as it is to hear it expressed in relation to one self, are racist, misogynistic, or otherwise bigoted.

The funny thing is that of all the things you needed to comment on, the take away was somehow not earned after self labeled male feminists doing poo poo like:

quote:

After a few minutes in his bedroom, it was clear it was not fine. We started kissing and I felt mildly turned on. Then I didn’t. I told Bob I had to go, but he pressed. Coquettishly, quietly, I said, “Stop.” He pressed more. Then I said, “No, really, stop.” When I faced away from him to jiggle my bra back in place, he came up behind me and tried yet again. At one point, he pushed me onto his bed and said, “Wait a minute, I still haven’t made you come.”

...followed by a tone deaf text message the next day...

quote:

Date redo. I can set my table up and gift you a mock massage! With def clear boundaries. ;) or i make you dinner or a yummy smoothie.

This is internalised misogyny at work. Sure, he didn't push it further, but the fact that a supposedly male feminist needs to be told no three times, combined with physical escalations between each clear assertion of boundaries, on a first date no less, is a clear sign that he might talk a good game but he just doesn't 'get it'.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Is Communism in any way an effective boogeyman in modern American politics? Obviously the tail of the 20th century was defined by Communism vs Democratic Capitalism, but these days does anyone actually care this much about Communism as a threat to their way of life?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

You know which countries Hillary wrecked?

Libya and Syria

I like how in the end it boils down to your team not winning and you wanting to spit your dummy out

lmao bro

My god you're a walking talking self-parody.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

wtf I hate AI algorithms now?

I'm sure you're aware AI algorithms are fed by flags provided by humans. Usually humans who love to suppress speech. And what's more, they're not even leftists!!?!??!

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Crain posted:

And as much as I love the Campo Santo guys, I don't think they're in the right here. Going forward they can do stuff like refusing to give him early copies or copies of games and merch or access or whatever, but legally I think the ship sailed for them to DMCA Pewdiepie exclusively after putting out that statement on streaming. If Pewdiepie took them to court I'm pretty sure they'd lose.

Although it would be funny to see game devs pull a "You can't use the pinkest pink" on Pewdiepie.

Yeah, attempting to DMCA Pewdiepie is honestly the worst way to distance themselves from his content, because legally it's bullshit, and while many people and corporations do misuse DMCA, this one is extremely blatant about being a punitive measure based on social conduct, merely using copyright as a means to punish Pewdiepie.

They should've contented themselves with merely making a statement on his content not representing their company's games, denying further free access, and leaving it at that. Anything else is kinda playing with fire, and honestly as far as gestures go, probably doesn't achieve anything so why take the risk.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

boner confessor posted:

i never said that :confused: i just said that it's silly to call your hobby a job if you dont make a living doing it. plenty of people spend hours and hours painting miniatures but i dont know how many of them describe it as their vocation

Just acknowledge you're being arbitrary because you want to diminish youtubers and streamers and move on buddy. The only thing separating a hobby and a job is whether you make money out of it. The ratio is skewed differently depending on demand for skilled work in a particular domain, but that doesn't bear on whether or it is or isn't a job.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pembroke Fuse posted:

You need to want to be receptive to this kind of stuff. Most dudes aren't receptive to anything that doesn't describe their dicks in the most glowing of terms (or simply believe minorities are the real rapists, and it gets worse from there).

This is the thing, if you never signal that you're receptive to these types of conversations you may very well never hear them. It's unfortunate that the ones who need this barrage of anecdotal evidence - the not malicious but ignorant and suppressive - will probably never be trusted in 1 - 1 conversations about it in the first place, but it's not the woman's fault for not trusting them.

History and society has taught them to constantly vet others for fear of attack, which must be god drat exhausting compared to the white male existence I enjoy where I can pretty much go wherever I like and talk to whoever I want and feel safe.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
When they instated the role of programmer to women they originally thought the academic (implied as male) would do all the thinking and the programmer would be merely transcribing, like it was a clerical task. Turns out they were wrong. Kinda like James Damore, who is demonstrably wrong about nearly everything.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The thing is, the programmers who get paid all the big bucks now to sling code back and forth, they're not really doing truly novel work TODAY. They're still building off the shoulders of academics who put the work into the algorithms, who did the novel research. The majority of programmers (and I am one, I'm including myself here) are pulling together established work using a degree of workmanship and creativity to achieve a business goal, using the tools available to us.

The women Damore looked down on in his comments only had a different job by degrees of it being a new job, and different limitations. They were just as much programmers as the male dominated programming industry is now.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

business hammocks posted:

He's the equivalent of a child who argues "you didn't say which bed!" as a means of staying up past his bedtime while watching tv from the dog's bed.

He's just an rear end in a top hat who doesn't know and doesn't care about anything.

Yeah, if you're not properly prepared to deal with that sort of discourse you're gonna lose your poo poo earlier than you'd expect. If you go in expecting rational discourse and logic to matter, you'll be bitterly disappointed and then when you try to jump down to their level suddenly you've given them the sound bytes they wanted from you in the first place. It was never about debate.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yes, certainly lets delve in to giving Whedon a pass for repeatedly using his status to pursue women whilst lying to his wife. That certainly wouldn't be a predatory behaviour given it wasn't straight up rape.

Seriously it's ridiculous how many logical contortions that are required to give men a pass on their behaviour. It's not like all these folks are suddenly becoming sleazebags, it's that they were repeatedly given a pass for it, and in show business that is specifically due to social power dynamics of being the top of the totem pole. Maybe the first time was a mistake, let's give that shred of doubt? But you don't then repeatedly capitalise on those power dynamics and then get to go, 'oops'.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

JFairfax posted:

oh no women sleeping with powerful men, they must be predators.

lol no you loving goons a powerful man (or woman) is a major aphrodisiac for a lot of people, when they're charming men i.e. Kennedy, Clinton etc and not sleazy fat bastards like Weinstein

You have reached the core of our argument! Truly we are undone.

You're an idiot mate. The issue is repeated abuse of that power structure, not that it exists.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Midig posted:

Second thoughts then. Nothing is as moronic as the idea that there is a war on Christmas. It's an obnoxious and all consuming holiday that starts early and never goes away (at least in the US based on what I know).

That's the reactionary way. The war is always on the most conspicuous markers of 'their way of life' :kingsley: . They wouldn't be able to push a reactionary narrative around something small, a big one like 'they're taking your Christmas away' is far easier to sell to the kinda people they're fishing for.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

ungulateman posted:

someone died, you fuckwit, and it sure as hell wasn't a nazi

not empty quoting. If you think driving a car into a crowd could ever be self defense I dunno what to tell you fallenturtle.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The flip side of voluntary voting is the state isn't inherently obligated to ensure it can handle 100% turnout with a high availability of polling stations, easy registration and so on.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

FantasticExtrusion posted:

Is this the thread where SA goes full circle and decides policing the internet would be fun and practical?

I mean Valve could play whack-a-mole, so could anybody:

It's the recruiting material these groups need. Look! They banned us! Fascists!

What on earth are you talking about? One of the key reasons SA is what it is, is due to moderation. Moderation is essentially policing its corner of the internet. One of the key issues of the day is how various platforms have abdicated their responsibilities to moderate effectively, whether it's Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, whatever.

The concept that banning people espousing fascist dogma is itself fascistic is lazy thinking that relishes in a South Park 'both sides!!!!' approach to the world. An approach that completely lacks any nuance or intelligence.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
It’s a pretty straightforward connecting dots but not getting too much into it video. It’s not surprising because games are very popular with the same demographic that the alt-right courts, but the prevailing underdog self-image and persecution complex that catches a lot of gamers in that demographic makes the transition from GamerGate to alt-right pretty smooth.

Sure, sure, not all gamers, but there are a massive amount of them who use the relative anonymity of its platforms and consequence and moderation free voice chat to be total shitbags ‘ironically’. Try joining your average ‘PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds’ lobby for constant casual racism and sexism in voice chat. It’s not surprising that a non-trivial amount of this community are actually alt-right shitbags, and whether they’re just dipping their toes in the water, or getting out on the streets, they’re aiding this rise of a supremacist movement with their approval.

And it doesn’t do the #notallgamers types much credit to complain about them portraying small details incorrectly, or generalising, because god drat if that’s not another card-carrying GamerGate/AltRight strategy, to tie people up with bullshit while dodging the real questions, in this case questions like ‘Is your community as toxic as a vat of poison?’

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

OwlFancier posted:

I think people who play CoD obsessively are giant nerds too, just more irritating than grogs. There is a specific thing about multiplayer FPS games with voice chat that seems to attract, or manufacture, the worst loving people.

Yeah. Don’t kid yourself that this stuff hasn’t poisoned the whole tree and missed your branches. With the popularity means there’s diversity in every playerbase, but you can guarantee there’s an undercurrent of racism and sexism in nearly every gaming community. The explosion of popularity in the last two decades has been tilted towards 10-40 year old boys/men via marketing and self selecting culture, and grognards can get just as upset about ‘getting politics in ma vidya games’ as the jocks.

You can pretty much guarantee that the sort of guy who think Sargon is a reasonable man probably ain’t no jock. The problem is unchallenged, unmoderated racism and sexism, and that is the way of things in games whether it’s single player, online multiplayer, massively multiplayer. All relatively successful games develop communities around them, and very few of them have any sort of code of conduct that would prevent this simmering under the surface.

You can anecdotal your way out of believing it by relating to your own circle, but let’s be real, anyone who plays games with a real-time voice or text chat component has observed racism or sexism and done nothing about it, because at this point it’s a literal torrent of bullshit that would suck up all of your playtime to do so.

But it’s necessary to start somewhere. Gaming is sick because society is sick, and if you’re willing to let it go unchallenged every single time, not even a word calling it out, well you might not be making it worse but you aren’t making it better either.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The problem with assuming conservatives will soften for ‘model minorities’ is that mostly applies only so long as they tow the line. The moment they start advocating against conservative talking points is the moment they get compacted out of the conservative movement.

The position as a minority in actively hateful company is extremely tenuous, and being a minority means it’s all too easy for the knives to come out and expel them if they go too far or step out of line.

Under those conditions how can effective advocacy take place? Civil change has by and large been encouraged on or forced by outside advocacy, not internal, they’ve merely seen the writing on the wall and capitulated to the outside pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Samovar posted:

This does make me genuinely wonder why they would associate at all with these groups. For what reason?

They want their ideology all the way to the point where they’re the target of said ideology. They’ve convinced themselves that it’s just darned SJW women that are excluded, they as conservative white women are fine and welcome.

They of course miss the fact that white supremacy is also misogynistic and regressive in how it views women. Shocker!

• Locked thread