Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Midig posted:

Still rings true with this anecdote. He is incredibly dumb, not malicious.

At what point is there cross-over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Monglo posted:

Professor sounds like a badass. Milo can't be a motherfucker, he's gay.

Laughing awkwardly and seeing someone yelling at fat people is a difficult thing to characterise as "badass" but you do you.

I'm fairly sure he can only maintain any form of sexual interest if he is being talked about all the time anyway.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Well poo poo, now I'm the one making assumptions about the loved experiences of women, thinking that they want to share their stories with friends. Even so, there's no dearth of examples of rape affecting women's decisions in popular media.

Yes but that is on the cinema, those sorts of things don't happen. It was certainly a thought I had when I started uni.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Dmitri-9 posted:

New Labor was already a thing and it was a loving disaster. She's in the same neighborhood as wrong.

I think there is a difference here. Not least the fact that Contra isn't thinking of herself as Tony Blair (which is always nice). There is no attempt to say that bashing Facists is neccesarily even bad, just that it can be quite insular in some parts. Sometimes you have to talk with people to change their mind, and its better done with people who don't almost exactly agree with you.

I don't always agree with her, but I find the whole series a very nice introduction for people getting into leftism. We may all have been there long beforehand, but it's a good intro. Alongside that the videos about trans stuff helped explain that to me in a basic way.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

business hammocks posted:

Contra very much understands the need for self-defense. The chuds have been doxxing her. She knows she's pretty high on the list of kinds of people they want to kill.

Urgh, I didn't know this.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

it shaun posted:

I don't know too much but Garrett is taking an indefinite amount of time off for personal reasons. Think he's struggling with some things in his personal life

I found a weird vid where he was cross with his subscribers about something, but that wasn't on his channel, so I am unsure if it was true.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

nickmeister posted:

I thought Amos yee was in custody awaiting a decision on his asylum status.

Mental health ssylum or political asylum?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Octolady posted:

That Mythicist atheism conference Sargon was invited to was predictably a poo poo show. I think full videos of the discussions are being released eventually but a few people are posting snippets. Here (if the link works) is Sargon and his goons doubling down on hilarious rape jokes in a debate with Thomas Smith.

Sargon is a garbage human

Thomas Smith walked out after the debate, genuinely effected by the fact people were supporting him. Sargon is chalking it up as a great victory like the smug rear end in a top hat he is.

Link borked I am afraid.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It's why I try and prep insults beforehand in case I ever see carl of sad in the street.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I am not sure, but I think Midig might be being sarcastic here.

That said, I can understand trying to change peoples points of view, even if they are Conservatives or conservatives the fact is that we all have stuff in our lives that helped to make us, and a lot of people aren't paying too much attention to what they believe.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The thinking I kind of dislike is "we need to get rid of all superstitions and religions". I mean even as an atheist that sounds loving joyless as an exercise. Why not have people believe in divinity as long as they are willing to be cool and good in their lives.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Burn the internet to the loving ground.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

From a personal perspective I wouldn't want to spend any time around The Golden bloke, he is a bit too creepy for my tastes and I geniunally don't understand how someone as cool as Contra can even "like" them. Even in an ironic way.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Eh, he's a somewhat funny, attractive guy who likes nerd poo poo like skyrim and 40k (seriously the daemonette of slaneesh thing was kind of funny) and likes going around in costumes and is obviously very comfortable in his body.

I mean, he's attractive? I mean I can see Contra as attractive, but I have difficulty seeing TGO as all that handsome.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Maybe I am being too harsh, but yeah past a certain point I would have difficulty even being polite to people who are that into the "volk" movement.

I mean, maybe that is a fault of mine, but seriously I do not see the appeal.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Violence breeds violence and is antithetical to democratic norms. They'll just be back again, hungry for more and with their paranoid fantasies confirmed.

Says the person living in a state that has been in a state of nigh on constant conflict since the 1940's. All institutions are founded in either violence or the threat thereof.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

Just to note, this is just punching/slapping/band-aiding the symptom. The real issues to these groups runs deeper and treating it at the root requires far more work and understanding (yes, and empathy) than this.

So we should take a more marxist view of things and fix conditions in a general sense. The fact is a system that keeps producing Nazis is a broken system already. It is not in the interests of the upper class, nor the capacity well meaning groups like the one you mentioned, to change that system.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

fascists also thrive on a sense of victimization, and 'punching fascists' doesn't mean 'win the altercation'. nazis are much more willing to be violent, and are generally better prepared for it, as evidenced numerous times.

Facists already have that sense even when they are in positions of authority as long as it is not absolute. Stopping Nazi's byfighting them encourages more of their members to not come out in public, which is a net societal good.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

So just seen this destiny person laughing/critiquing Mouthy Buddha.

Holy poo poo Mouthy Buddha is an unremmitting piece of poo poo isn't he.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Is that Thomas Smith v. Sargon debate worth watching?

You already know the answer to this.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

And she's not going to turn into Laci Green. Stop that. If/when the sex tape between her and the Golden One get's released then I'l entertain that idea but...god dammit. Please trust Trans people on this stuff.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I am very aware (mental health issues) how much of an rear end in a top hat and how many wrong opinions I probably have, but it seems like people aren't allowed to be mistaken or an accidental poo poo on occasion without people piling up to go "All of your ideas are fake and you are horrible". It just seems like people who have never truly scrutinised themselves to understand that often you are the rear end in a top hat.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The video is pretty lame. The core message that GamerGate and the alt right often draw from the same pool of misanthropic shut ins who spend a lot of time online is valid. But it doesn't go terribly into detail about how exactly Trump supporters and the alt right (not entirely the same people in both) use the same tactics as GamerGate did other than Discord servers were used to help plan that Rise Of The Right rally and the guy who ran over a protester also was a "My mom is a total bitch!" type of gamer.

Which vid is this? Because you could do a fairly convincing essay on how the tactics and psychology are very similar. Such as "refusing to acknowledge any wrong doing" "relying on existing power structures to either break in your favour, or to actively ignore the problem" and "constantly shifting what the problem is in order to encompass a wider and narrower group as required"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ClancyEverafter posted:

Right, and that would just make him a bad researcher or journalist, or at least, one that could be better, rather than TERF, which is 99% of the criticism about him.

Say he is transphobic (and on balance of evidence, the gentleman appears to exhibit some of those traits), it doesn't mean he is human garbage just that he is wrong and should maybe do a bit more reading into it before shooting his mind of about something that confirms to his biases.

I mean we all make mistakes, but it is better to learn from them.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Shoeonhead is... the transgirl who is in with the alt right I think?

Shoeonhead is not trans from what I know.

Midig posted:

I am not expressing sympathy, I am just making it clear that it is a slight shift in conversation which they will actually use to their advantage. Most people dont do that part you mention because of this thing called an "ego". So 50 percent of people when confronted will just go "I am not a BADDIE, here are the reasons why I believe this and still not a BADDIE."

I get what you are aiming at here mate. I just wish there were better ways of talking to people than just screaming into the internet.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

My impression with that was that they were being criticized for making light of internet polarization, not necessarily meeting each other or talking. And I don't think that's the same thing--I didn't have a problem with them talking over their positions or meeting each other. But I think it's weird now that shoeonhead and armoured sceptic occupy this weird gadfly position where they float into Contra's stream chat and buddy-buddy around with her like they're the warner bros. cartoon wolf and sheepdog after the whistle blows and they punch the timeclock.

Those are people who deserve to be held accountable for their poor reasoning and lack of rigor, and I would expect Contra to have a firm enough mind to pin them to the wall on their bullshit. Not necessarily when she's drunk and playing the Sims for patreon people, but I kind of expect her to have higher standards when it comes to that sort of thing. I get that there's probably a certain delicacy to making a living on youtube and that the economics of that are mysterious to me, but I wish someone would explain it. I notice Contra doesn't take shots at Sargon when he comes up either, I'm guessing because it guarantees a chud invasion and lots of fraudulent video flagging.

I think it might, partially, be that Contra really believes in the power of persuasion and debate. Like not in the way that you could even argue its utility but a rock solid belief of "If I can change my views then if I keep talking to these people they will surely see that their ideas are foolish and change". Like I have friends in real life work that I want to persuade away from certain ideas, but it is difficult and I am not being scrutinised by people on the internet all the time.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Midig posted:

What I mean is that it focuses on them being baddies instead of telling them why what they are doing is bad. Some people get really upset about being called an Islamaphobe for example. This guys channel is relevant to this thread anyway, so perfect timing to bring it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJefiibHL4

Would this guy also have an issue with "anti-semitism" as well do you think?

OwlFancier posted:

I have noticed that too but I diagnosed it as a particularly stubborn strain of liberalism :v:

I mean I understand the impulse. It is a worthy one and it does her credit, and I am not going to tell a grown up who they can't be friends with as long as those friends are not actual Nazis, but ultimately there may come a time when talk runs out. Ultimately we aren't really "rational" about how we view the world, even if we try to be we bring lots of hidden meanings to everything and everyone, even ourselves.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Yes she does seem to have a bizzare affinity for the idea that talking to people can change minds.

Yeah, I guess I'm maybe stuck in my own frame of reference and projecting, in that I could never tolerate a person who argues in bad faith, either as a colleague or a friend. I do find Contra's dedication to discourse admirable.

This is the issue, I had to get into Leftist styles of thinking based on a bit of personal experience and wanting to be a good person. Persuading people will not always work, but we can, and should, make it a very important plank of poo poo we do.

OwlFancier posted:

Well I got you beat on cynicism cos I generally start from the assumption that talk is useless in the majority of circumstances and rarely have cause to deviate. It's even weirder if you don't understand the impulse.

But everyone's got their weird habits and an excessive willingess to engage with people seems more dangerous to the bearer than to bystanders at least.

I get that. I don't understand the feeling of Disphoria, like the video that Contra made about it was just so bewildering because I have never experienced it, but I understand that it is a thing that people feel .

As a secondary issue I do wonder how much utility there is in being cynical towards people that need persuading. I think a bit of understanding goes a long way when it comes to things like this, I hope so anyway.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 3, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Midig posted:

His arguments against punching nazies are stupid, even for being a rational:

See I don't get this whole "reform your religion" thing people keep trotting out about Islam. It's a big loving collection of poo poo you'd have to "reform" and the last time we had a "reformation" most of Europe burned for a generation.

Also, why isn't it that we just go "human rights" instead of "reform your faith". Like, surely the former is more important than the latter?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Midig posted:

Did you post in the wrong thread?

I watched his video and wanted to respond to it without wandering into the open sewer that is youtube comment sections.

Though I do realise how weird that probably seemed now. Sorry guys!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Midig posted:

My hot take is that religious extremism will not go away as long as religion exists. Reformation of religion is just allowing progress to go slowly.

I disagree, Relgions and Faith will always exist. The searching for divinity or meaning is a basic part of human life, and even if we did the whole "stone from last church falls on last priest" deal then it isn't going to stop people being dicks to each other until we all have a goodly amount of resources to live with ourselves.

^^ This too, the major Western powers have been backing Saudia Arabia and various local strong men for about 100 years. I think it is bad to do that and likely encourages a greater number of problems than it solves.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think if you somehow make the entire world atheist it would do much to stop people killing each other tbh.

Pretty much this.

Midig posted:

Not the root cause, but it will help with recruitment for causes like it until 0 people believe in magic. Also, atheism won't removes all problems, but it would surely be a little easier to lift the bar without greasy hands.

In opposition to this idea I present you with: Dick Dorkins and Sam Harris.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Midig posted:

I am sure that weakening the hold of tribalism for billions will more than make up for the mistakes of personalities that are not even relevant anymore.

Except it won't. They will just build new tribes. That is what we, as humans, do.

I don't mean them as a slam-dunk "take that athetits" what I mean to show is that assholes and people that support assholes will always gain power and declare other people part of the outgroup regardless of faith in a divinity.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Midig posted:

Besides, magic, come on. For our integrity as a species.

Why does it hurt to believe in magic. i can believe in Justice and it has as much proof.

I guess that, from a purely personal perspective, I would prefer a bit more of human weirdness to be maintained.

Midig posted:

If redneck identity is not religiously related tribalism then I need to have a couple of things explained to me.

"Redneck" generally has a lot of different meanings, the fact of being religious is generally not that high from what I can tell. In general the emphasis seems to be a bit more on "opposition to rules imposed from above whilst our way of life has just as much validity and, due to our lower economic circumstances is more 'true'"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Midig posted:

Well, belief in crystal healing might not hurt people in all circumstances, but it does not help either. Its just kind of there, taking up space on the bucket list. TIme better allocated to solving the other 99 problems. Besides, arguing that abstract ideas are as true as the belief that you can shoot fireballs out of your hands will be needlessly pedantic.

That is fair.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

nickmeister posted:

Religion is very convenient for justifying atrocities. Especially when a god is involved. The world wouldn't be perfect, but I do think it would be a better place if theists were in the minority. The fact that some atheist celebrities turned out to be idiots or bigots hasn't changed my mind on this.

I'd just put it that Atheism is not neccesarily a more moral/ethical position than Faith.

If Singal is just a bomb thrower, which he appears to be, then I do hope this serves as a useful thing, but also I think that mocking and sending really quite hurtful things to someone who is doing a lot of stuff to help the situation seems a tad gross. That and, well, allow people to gently caress up but don't get all "stabby" with them.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 3, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Hello, everyone, I'm here just to ask questions.

I think there is a difference between it, but what sort of questions?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Which is why I generally think her fondness for talking to people is a remnant of that, a belief that you can talk people out of anything.

I've said this before, and I will say it again, but this is the issue. It is the white hot core of how Contra reasons. I may well respect it and agree with it in general, and I certainly disagree with the sheer viciousness of the comments attacking her, but it comes down to your own personal calculus of wether it works or not.

Personally I am always pleased whenever I see Shaun post his "I started thinking about things differently when I saw your videos" posts, so I can't be too against people getting their views changed.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Contrapoints has an archive of a long stream she did with Lindsay Ellis a week or so ago that touches on this issue more precisely than I had seen Contra discuss in the past. She says that she chose to debate Sargon because talking to her would force Sargon to acknowledge that she is a thinking feeling real human being and not just some abstract boogeyman. I might still consider that too optimistic, but she’s not laboring under some delusion that she can reach him and change his mind.

She also said that ever speaking to Blaire White was a mistake and that she’s refused invitations from roaming millennial and other chud-adjacent “skeptics” because they don’t display a necessary minimum of good faith. How that squares with debating a oval office like Sargon I have no idea.

There may be an assumption of "british person being slightly smarter" thing that gets people into trouble.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Depends how you define some of that, it's bald faced classism that a bunch of people constantly try to attribute it to those filthy trailer trash rednecks and poo poo, but their real base was however the middle manager suburbanite white dudes.

From what I know of Neato's previous posting that is what was meant. At the same time the South Park episode appears to be based more around the idea of the working class being patronised, when we all know that who should be being brow beaten is the Mcmansion owning douchnozzle uncle that you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Solitair posted:

The Guardian also published a novelist's account of why stalking one of her online critics was a reasonable thing to do.

Link?

• Locked thread