Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Work isnt even inherently noble or virtuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Raenir Salazar posted:

Eh.

I can see an argument to be made that people should always be doing something they feel to be productive; where the problem lies is tying that productivity to being able to live and introducing subjective and varying degrees of compensation.

Take the capitalism out of work basically.

If I spend all my day painting, I feel like there's virtue in being productive, in fact I think that is one of the 7 virtues diligence.

Productivity, self-improvement and personal goal seeking aren't work. and I do not mean that pejoratively in any sense of the word.
Work is labor done for a wage is what I'm saying.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

fallenturtle posted:

What if making if instead of making it illegal you just had a super high tax rate for the ultra wealthy but they could earn tax credits via using their money through philanthropy (but with some sort of verification system to make sure its not actually laundering or some fake charity BS like Trump engages in.)

nah man gently caress that and remove tax credits for charity.
Just have the government do what charities are trying to fill the gaps in. Theyd be much better organized and be open to the full logistical prowess of a first world government.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 23, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Here's Margaret Hamilton, lead software designer for the Apollo moon mission:

The stack of books is the code. It's that thick because of all the levels of redundancy built into it.

Meanwhile motherfucker works at google for a few years and thinks hes hot fuckin poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 26, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh and his beloved, best done by men career path:

wikipedia posted:

Hamilton coined the term "software engineering" during the Apollo space mission days:

During this time at MIT, she wanted to give their software “legitimacy”, just like with other engineering disciplines, so that it (and those building it) would be given its due respect; and, as a result she made up the term “software engineering” to distinguish it from other kinds of engineering.

[43]
When Hamilton started using the term "software engineering",[44][45][46] software engineering was not taken seriously compared to other engineering, nor was it regarded as a science. She began to use the term "software engineering" during the early Apollo missions in order to give software the legitimacy of other fields such as hardware engineering. Over time the term "software engineering" has gained the same respect as any other discipline.[47] "At MIT she assisted in the creation of the core principles in computer programming as she worked with her colleagues in writing code for the world's first portable computer".[48] Hamilton's innovations go beyond the feats of playing an important role in getting humans to the moon. Hamilton, along with many other female engineers alike, challenged the male dominated technology field of their time, to allow for women to enter in these STEM fields for many years to come.[49]

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Samovar posted:

This does make me genuinely wonder why they would associate at all with these groups. For what reason?

Same reason as the men.
Expect they dont realize the ideology does not benefit them as much. They hear white supremacy and blut and ehre but forget that their intended duty to the eternal reich is 'make babies'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hbomb speaks to my sense of humor so I am bi-assed.

• Locked thread