Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fututor Magnus posted:

i can't say anything about the average ages of people who watch streamers, but i doubt it's just pre-adolescents and adolescents. there seem to be plenty of 4chan types among destiny's following, and posting on 4chan never made anyone smart. but i'm not convinced that erudition is shunned for being masculine rather than just not required.

it's interesting to consider what conceptions of masculinity you would find floating around on internet gaming circles. i think the focus is on gaming proficiency, and when you're selecting for that skill in particular, you're obviously going to get people who've never read a book since school and who spend most of their waking hours in front of computer playing games.

this sort of thing is really annoying when it comes to youtube game reviewers like angry joe, dunkey and the like. their "insight" into games are always so trite and superficial. playing games a lot doesn't give you the skills to talk about them in a critical sense.

when it comes to masculine performativity, i think the most obvious behavior in internet gaming people related to that is the general expectation that you have a dominating presence (even if you swear at your followers and scream like a harpy). also, not flinching at 4chan humour, otherwise you're a gay SJW. you can see that poo poo at work with anthony fantano, for one, where he has come to embody a very disgusting conception of masculinity simply to be cool.

i think it depends what your looking for. people like angry joe/ dunkey(who is more of joke concept) others arnt trying to do some super deep thematic critical thing. they are doing a basic, is the game fun/good/not broken review. if you want deeper stuff. go for errant signal or super bunny hop or Noah Caldwell-Gervais. all of those dudes are great at that stuff.

personaly. i dont watch streamers. i'll watch super best friends for interesting conversations and oney plays/vinesauce group for humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fututor Magnus posted:

yeah, i know. i just wanted to make the point that a lack of erudition is advantageous in gaming circles, because far more people consider angry joe an authority on video games than noah gervais, as evidenced by the views each get respectively. obviously the video length factor is also there (i like to watch / hear longform videos while exercising, but an angry joe video can be finished in one sitting). perhaps gamers generally don't bother in thinking much about the media they consume. i wonder if that has anything to do with masculinity? is critical analysis seen as too nerdy, even to gamers?

but there's one obvious reason i can discern why someone might love angry joe but not noah gervais or campster, is because the former will never bring up feminism or any other SJW ideology. speaking of which, i've seen a few youtubers (very small-time) doing game critiques from a right-wing or at least "anti-SJW" position, and they were really bad and pseudointellectualism to the extreme.

maybe but i think when most people are looking for game reviews, they arnt looking for some long forum college dissertation about how whatever. they want to know if its worth the 60 or so bucks. i am not saying your fully wrong. there are plenty of good sites/youtubers for good critical stuff. and no poo poo the right wing ones are bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Plenty of aspies don't/can't get a diagnosis for family reasons or societal pressures. There are those who don't want to confirm it because then they know for sure something is 'wrong' with them and might be forced to do something about it.

Goolag dude might be one of those that didn't get a diagnosis because of pride and he thinks it makes him less of a person while also liking to use it as a crutch.

this is true. My GF is clearly on the light end of the spectrum(she was also diagnosed when she was 10 or so) but she refuses to recognize that she has it because she fears that she will be seen as "retarded" or damaged. it sad.

business hammocks posted:

Just listening to that guy's voice and speech patterns tells me there's something massively wrong with him.

yeah, he definitely has the autistic "tone/inflection". thats a good indicator.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lovechop posted:

the whole thing is super long but the XJ9 / destiny chat is genuinely fascinating.

iirc, xj9's girlfriend played a character he didn't like in league of legends, so in his opinion he was 100% in the right to post her nudes online and do all this other horrendous poo poo. he couldn't understand at all why it was wrong to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc7ZMDRbF2s

v difficult listen but i found it really interesting to try to understand this dude's scary sociopathic thought process.

jesus gently caress. what a sad broke piece of poo poo. like he is comparing himself to a pony character and how that justifying himself for releasing nudes of his gf because she played a character on some dumb game.

EDIT. so i showed this to my friend who works with people with mental disibilties. he thinks XJ9 probably doesn't have autism but is severally ID.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 21, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macrame_God posted:

I wish I could get just the highlights though. The whole thing is five hours long and most of it is creepy laughter and furious clicking.

yeah. the dude seems genuinely intellectually disabled. like legit. he spends thousands of dollars AT A TIME at on runescape and thinks MLP will teach him real lessons. he doesnt pick up on poo poo. like he thinks his girlfriend going away for a couple days will make her monster and playing as different character on a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-YTiYahYc0

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JVNO posted:

I would be very tempted to fail anyone that referenced a YouTube Shouty Man like TJ as a legitimate source. Or at least severely knock marks off any rubric item related to the sourcing of arguments.

Jesus Christ read a loving book on philosophy and become an intellectual yourself instead of parroting some dumb wannabe. It’s not like you can’t defend that thesis with a more rigorous source than the loving Amazing Atheist can mount.

they probaly do. most colleges especially humanities(and i am sure science) is really really big peer reviewed poo poo. if its not backed up 200 different ways or from a college publishing press or whatever. its not gonna fly. loving TJ burning dick won't fly as a source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

For me the line is "Are we talking positively about the North Korean Government?" "Do we automatically take the side of a country, no matter who it is and who's in charge, simply because the US is always evil?"

yeah, thats a pretty good definition. though i am sure there are different levels and nuances to it.

• Locked thread