Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BardoTheConsumer posted:

On topic: the bad part is that i used to like some of these people. Why people laughed at creationists was a good series and armored skeptic had some good videos in spite of the retarded gimmick stolen from logicked, who actually probably also belongs on this list for similar reasons to AS.

I'm not sure whether debunking stupid creationist arguments just wasn't lucrative enough or the YouTube atheist community all got simultaneously redpilled or what but the loss of half the people I used to listen to in the background is actually pretty sad. If someone has a better explanation for exactly what happened I'd love to hear it.

you can't keep debunking religion forever - there's only so much to say on the subject

however getting involved in the endless sadsack internet culture wars and whining about females and minorities is a bottomless well of content. people will forever appreciate having their paranoia and anger stoked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BardoTheConsumer posted:

So it's really the lucre thing then? I mean crackpots make ridiculous claims every day so that well is also pretty bottomless but I see your point.

there's all kinds of people who put all kinds of videos on youtube about all kinds of things. but when it comes to monetization one of the reliable money makers is yelling and crying about feminists. youtube has a problem with this sort of thing, as evidenced by the current blowup about the channel where some horrible parents emotionally and physically abuse their children as "pranks". in one of them the dad screams at his weeping child to stop being a pussy because it's costing him money. not exactly which advertisers want to target that demographic

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KomradeX posted:

I'm sorry, what the gently caress is this now?

the internet is pretty outraged about this. dont click this video if you dont want to see disgusting, broken adults emotionally and physically abusing their children on camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvoLmsXKkYM

it doesn't have anything to do with youtube intellectualism but it does demonstrate that youtube has a problem. by cutting in content creators to ad revenue without some kind of validation of their content in place you end up creating financial incentives for all kinds of awful social behavior, such as long hate rants against women or filming yourself committing acts of child abuse

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KomradeX posted:

Well I'm not clicking that link, but how long before that becomes Exhibit A is taking these kids away from these assholes?

the problem is that the parents don't seem to be aware they're committing child abuse. they were most likely raised in toxic households themselves so they see it as normal to scream at your children, accuse them of bad behavior, betray their trust, disrespect their pain, etc. as just loving rough housing. in a lot of places CPS is overwhelmed with kids who are being abused worse than this, so they triage and say "well the kid is emotionally tormented by his father for youtube ad revenue but at least he has a house, food, and isn't sexually abused" but like reddit, 4chan etc. is involved now so sick internet justice is probably going to hassle the local CPS until they do something to make it stop

and here's the tricky part. the parents in this video aren't aware of the consequences of their actions. they're not thinking "haha, i'm going to give my kid panic attacks and psychological damage for profit", they're thinking "lol epic meltdown from a fun prank" because they're such bad caregivers they're not aware of the massive power imbalance between parent and child, or the need for children to unconditionally trust the adults they depend on for survival. so what do you do when you operate a platform which allows people to unknowingly do damage to other people for profit? what responsibility does youtube have for policing and clamping down on this content, or is it acceptable free speech to film yourself physically harming children since it's not specifically illegal?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KomradeX posted:

Everything about this is loving terrible. How did this become a thing? Like how did just being an rear end in a top hat to people on youtube become "pranks?" And how could anyone even think this is remotely a good idea to do to your own children, Goddamn

there's a ton of lovely "prank" channels out there that are just fake, or are just physical abuse and assault. typically it's adults targeting other adults at least. this guy is what happens when you're an emotionally stunted manchild who has two bright ideas at the same time - i want to make money on youtube, and nobody's done extreme prank videos on children

it shouldn't suprise you that the father who is so incompetent he's doing serious psychological damage to his children is also an avid game streamer

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KomradeX posted:

I've seen those. I just don't understand how being an rear end in a top hat and committing assault got considered a prank.

the internet is so easy to use now the 25% of humanity who are completely incompetent mouthbreathers can upload and crowdsource their own content

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Somfin posted:

He answered your challenge. Do you have the stones to do the same?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
literally "do you even lift bro"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

i'm a white male between 20 and 30 years old and i don't understand how anyone can watch these sorts of videos considering how low the content to time ratio is, unless they're an adhd-addled middle schooler who can't digest more than a paragraph of information at a time without WACKY SMASH CUT and funny faces/noises in between

it doesn't matter how little content there is so long as it affirms your opinions about politics and society while reinforcing the idea that you are a very smart person who does not need to change

basically reddit the audiobook

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crain posted:

Even better: They're not even shutting the channels down. Just not paying them for that content, which is 100% the advertisers rights. It's not even youtube forcing ads off of those videos, they gave the advertisers the ability to choose who they want to associate with, and surprise, surprise.

well they just need to do what th emommy bloggers do and tout sponsors on their channel

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

little munchkin posted:

a big issue with that is demographic data. finding sponsors for a mommy blog is easy since it's fairly obvious what sort of person is watching and what sort of things they could be persuaded into buying.

What do redpill types buy? :shrug: Can they be talked into paying absurd prices for things like new parents can? Probably not.

:thejoke:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Casimir Radon posted:

So I sometimes browse Reddit when I'm bored and have noticed recently that a lot of stuff from /r/pussypassdenied is making the front page. It's basically guys who seem to love looking for instances where you might be justified in hitting a woman (Usually it's some gif where she hits first), and talking about it like female on male violence is some horrible epidemic that nobody talks about. How long has this particular one been going on?

a while, sadly its common among abused men or men abused as boys. thing is because of toxic masculinity you're not supposed to talk about how you got beat up by women because that's shameful so you repress it until you find a way to blame it on women, feminists, the matriarchy etc.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Midig posted:

Looks light one more is about to rise up. Personally, i think he might make better videos then other people put "on the list" here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1291q0Jl5g

fifteen minutes to say "hard sciences > soft sciences"

i dont understand where people find the time to watch these things to conclusion

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

blowfish posted:

normal reality: being more verbose != making the better argument

idiot reality: being more verbose == making the better argument

sure thats how a lot of academics works also but like, you can skim a long rear end paper but you can't really skim a video. it's just a less efficient form of communication than reading since you can only consume it at the pace it's presented to you

there's a guy at my work who watches youtubes for his political and social discourse, and he does it all day to keep up with all of his channels. it's like drat just read and you'll be done in a quarter of the time

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if you're going through the effort to film and edit a video that's just an editorial which would be more easily produced and distributed as a blog post then imo you're wasting your time and the time of others. at least leverage the visual medium to create some interesting imagery that isn't just rage comics or a cartoon banana in a fedora talking about jews

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

I enjoy the implicit assertion that because soft science is hard to do, that the gut feelings of people on youtube are more accurate.

part of being a rational is just knowing how things work, because your mind is more rational than others. it's a heavy burden to bear, being more correct on average

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Stab posted:

So, "I'm not a misogynist, I just correctly hate women"

yeah, compartmentalization.txt

this is the same thing that happens when people say "i'm not a racist, but the blacks need to get jobs" because in their minds they're expressing a commonsense truth and they're not a raving klansman so how can you be racist for speaking the truth?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Weirdo posted:

I think it`s sad that he left high school because of bullies

what ??? !!!

so did the guy who insists universities are hub of cultural marxist brainwashing never even graduate from high school or what the british equivalent is?????

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 2, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
reddit was founded on a philosophy of radical free speech. turns out that platforms like reddit, twitter etc. that use this as a basis for their moderation policy generate controversy and are difficult to monetize

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PiCroft posted:

He blames the complex issues plaguing Black America solely on fatherless households and posited that the government should intervene somehow to encourage fathers staying with their families (which isn't a bad idea in itself).

this issue isn't as simple as portrayed - often the father is involved in the lives of children despite them being part of a "single parent" household. fathers can informally support their children (as in, not court mandated payments) or even sporadically cohabitate without being part of the household, and even an unmarried cohabitating couple may not count the father as part of the household legally. when you see stats like "X% of poor children live with single mothers" keep in mind that more often than not that means there's no legally defined nuclear family in place, not that the father is completely absent from the children's lives.

i know a young couple who just had a child but because of the job market (they're both employed in low wage jobs) it made more financial sense for them to remain unmarried, so the mother could claim her child on medicare and not go into massive debt just to give birth. they plan to marry eventually once there is not a substantial financial penalty to doing so. until then, she's legally a single mom

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 3, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vriess posted:

Also, the US Government literally does support Fatherhood and incentivizes it @https://www.fatherhood.gov/

National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse was started in 2005, then Congress defunded it almost immediately until the Obama restarted it in 2010.

the federal government is large enough to act at cross purposes. HHS can set up a pro fatherhood blog and support fatherhood programs while the IRS continues to enact outdated tax policies that encourage single parenting at low incomes and the DOJ maintains programs which disproportionately incarcerate low income men

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Because contrary to popular belief, atheism does not make you smart or knowledgeable.

There's a common trend among youtube "intellectuals" which is that they appear to believe that objective truth is defined by what smart people think.

the rational/skeptic community has always been hobbled by the mensa effect

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

if i remember correctly black unmarried fathers are part of the day to day upbringing of their children more than any other racial group in that category.

i remember that too but i can't find the study. it wasn't like excessively higher than other groups but by and large across the board about 60% of "fatherless" children had their biological fathers involved in their lives somehow

the problem is middle class rules of propriety being applied to the poor. if you're middle class you date around, maybe you have a whoopsie abortion or two, eventually you settle down with a partner you choose and you decide to have 1.5 kids

if you're poor you dont generally have those options. the boyfriend you had at age 20 is the guy who comes around to take his kids to basketball practice at age 29, but he's not like your husband or anything. in fact a number of poor women who have kids from multiple fathers say their biggest motivating factor for remaining single is because they haven't found a man they've wanted to marry yet, and stay married to. middle class people can much more easily duck the responsibilities of the "wild oats" phase of slutting around that pretty much every young adult does in our secular society, but if you're a poor woman trying to do the right thing by raising two kids with different dads suddenly you're a villain who should be punished for being irresponsible. as we slowly restrict access to reproductive care and abortions from the poor we're basically criminalizing sexual behavior for people of low incomes

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Carecat posted:

I'm not sure the alt right have a hope of grasping French politics

same, but american, british, canadian, or australian politics

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gorn Myson posted:

I think hes actually dumber than that. I think hes trying to say "if you think about it, fascists and anti-fascist are the same thing".

"anyone who uses violence to advocate for or against a political position is a triggered cuck, unlike me, who acts like a civilized man while i shout vicious insults into a can from the comfort of my bedroom"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Carecat posted:

I don't get the impression the alt right believe in any kind of physical protesting.

they do but it's either guy fawkes wearing fauxtests or impotent fantasizing about mowing down minority hordes with tactically optimized firearms

just showing up in a group and expression your opinion is for normie carefags

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

auruni has to be an act he just HAS to be. it's too perfect otherwise.

he is the real deal my friend, the raw potato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPBe09g3ALw

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
isn't religious education still somewhat compulsory in the english education system?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

Probably because they're terrified of the consequences of sharing their ugly opinions. For real, these guys will berate and dog public figures all day but they will turn real sanctimonious and play up the victim card if anyone tries to unmask them.

this and also many of them are certainly steeped in le epic memery and if you find rage comics to be an appropriate form of discourse (or did, in more youthful days) you'd probably down with the brainless irony of an anthropomorphized innocent object sharing the raw truth about black on black crime

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Midig posted:

Why would I invest more time into what was seemingly some conspiracy/drama about gaming? I get it, Who What Now, Boner Confessor, and you have probably invested years into this poo poo. I was too busy being a "rational", cut me some slack.

there's a difference between investment and awareness. if you spend a lot of time arguing on the internet it was hard to miss gamergate, it kind of dominated conversations in 2015, especially on a place like something awful - the idiot who kicked off the whole thing posted his creepy manifesto here where he was immediately banned, but it found more fertile ground on reddit

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SSNeoman posted:

Holy poo poo is there a link? I didn't know there was a manifesto! I NEED that poo poo :allears:

Also anyone know what the gently caress is up with that Modern Educayshun short film?

just look up the "zoe post" but i warn you it's stupid and rambling garbage from a super butthurt guy who got dumped and had the worst possible public meltdown because of it

e: here's the rap sheet

https://archive.is/J8tos

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 13, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
imo neckbeard is more of an insult regarding poor hygiene and grooming habits

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
gamergate was primed to take off because quinn had been the subject of low intensity harassment for months, for daring to be a woman who made a video game about her feelings. thats when angry ex made up a bunch of poo poo about how she was a cheating slut and then loser gamers collectively lost their poo poo because now she was the avatar of every hypocritical woman who ever rejected them. this is when they retroactively made gamergate about ethics in journalism rather than a collective freakout about :females:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the funny thing is that gaming journalism is garbage with tremendous ethics problems but this starts at the top, where big studios collude with "independent" or explicitly publisher owned magazines that are little more than advertisments in the form of reviews. little indie shops are the opposite of this, but because of cultural marxism they're accused of pushing SJW feminist gaming ethics or whatever the gently caress. so much for free speech

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

This got passed over earlier, but I'd appreciate others' takes on Ann Lieven. In particular, what's with the random Cyrillic?

i watched about 30 seconds of her pinned video and i'm like "why am i being lectured by a high school sophomore"

Midig posted:

Of course, that is fine, but I just happened to not know about all of this.

for a while it was super hard to avoid gamergate arguments on english language forums with a nerd presence. it really galvanized the shitheards to sound off their opinions about how women are ruining games. when Gone Home came out you'd think someone was murdered with how pissed people were (Gone Home was and is a very good game)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Low Desert Punk posted:

Rough guesstimate, how many YouTube gaming channels are out there that aren't explicitly misogynistic and racist? Every single big channel I click on takes about 2 videos before they start making TRIGGERED jokes and making fun of feminists.

The only one I really know of off the top of my head is Cinemassacre, which is probably the most sweet and pure channel on YouTube

i'd wonder how many gaming channels can even compete in the marketplace without catering to the bigoted tastes of people who watch youtube gaming channels

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Low Desert Punk posted:

I mean, I don't think it's a situation where gamers are going to specifically complain when a YouTuber doesn't do the whole anti-feminist thing, they'll typically only complain when the YouTuber shows any affection for women or minority groups

not even complaining. there's a super low barrier of entry to filming yourself playing video games and commenting on your gameplay, it's a flooded market. if your videos go from dozens of view to cracking four digits once you start repeating reddit style lame jokes then you'd be silly not to

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Low Desert Punk posted:

What is it about gaming that attracts this type of ideology anyway? It's not like every other traditionally "nerdy" hobby is just as toxic and horrible, gaming is by far the worst, with maybe comics at second place.

gaming is just what's currently most popular as a nerd hobby, like there are super awful fans of comic books, and table top roleplaying games also. actually it probably has something to do with the "gamer" identity itself, video games are one of my main hobbies but i would never identify myself as a gamer. maybe the existence of a gamer identity allows for people to do edgily ironic things like shout racial slurs, which due to nerd social fallacies and a lack of self-policing eventually becomes an acceptable way for a gamer to behave

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Anti-Citizen posted:

So bad news, one of the members of Skeptic Feminist may have killed someone, there's a lot of drama going on right now, and this going to be a shitstorm. It's not Haley from the channel is about all that's known but there's a gently caress tun of rumors flying around right now.

They're going to get nasty.

https://medium.com/@_Amora_/feminist-youtuber-the-skeptic-feminist-arrested-for-allegedly-killing-a-woman-in-colorado-a0796f4bd958

who is this and why does anyone care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OSI bean dip posted:

You have to remember that when Eripsa was wanking about the Polytopolis that he pretty much said that he wanted to tell minorities and low-income persons to butt out. He doesn't give a poo poo about social problems but instead his make-believe ones.

it's much easier to solve imaginary problems because you can never be proven wrong. this is the most important thing to avoid when you're setting yourself up as a flawless visionary instead of someone who does real work that matters in the real world

• Locked thread